Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sniep posted:

Ok so here's a big question then, what's a safe temp to run at?

Right now, it's running pegged at 81°C and various people either say "eh, that's fine, it will just shorten the life of the card" to "idk mine runs at 60s to 70s"

I'd like to be in the latter camp?

Running with the case taken apart is not an option.

I'd probably wouldn't go over 90°C but unless you're running 24/7 the increased temps won't noticeably degrade the chip. Pascal undervolts very well so you might also look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
What about the hybrid coolers like I mentioned in my first post? Is the evga 1080 ftw hybrid with the remote water cooling radiator as big of a help as it's advertised to be?

The fan on the end of the card will go past the GPU and pull directly from the bottom intake fan on the front, then the radiator will go up top where there is ventilation for it.

Again, I have no problems with temps in the case, air flow is really strong for the top 2/3rds, its just the PSU blocked off bottom section that is blocking airflow to the GPU. The front panel doesn't seem to be impeding too much, since i can definitely feel the air moving when its on and CPU/RAM/et al. are well within good temps.

I guess if I'm just turbofucked cuz of the case design is there a link to these pre-cut front panels that look nice? Googling around I can't find them.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Would buying a new case be a simpler and less expensive solution?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Would buying a new case be a simpler and less expensive solution?

Most likely. Otherwise a blower fan would’ve been a better choice for that case.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sniep posted:

Ok so here's a big question then, what's a safe temp to run at?

Right now, it's running pegged at 81°C and various people either say "eh, that's fine, it will just shorten the life of the card" to "idk mine runs at 60s to 70s"

I'd like to be in the latter camp?

Running with the case taken apart is not an option.

81°C won't hurt it, it won't even have a noticeable effect on the lifespan of the GPU, the fans on the cooler are more likely to give out first. These chips are designed to be almost impossible to damage under normal operation and will throttle themselves as much as needed to keep things within safe limits.

In any case, the water cooled cards run much cooler, as for where to mount the radiator, normally you would replace your exhaust fan with the rad and its fan, I don't know if that will work in that case of yours. You can also attach it at the front and have it double as an intake, just take off the front panel so it can breathe. If it is possible you can also mount it in the top of the case as an exhaust, but this is generally the highest temp setup in testing I have seen.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If it is possible you can also mount it in the top of the case as an exhaust, but this is generally the highest temp setup in testing I have seen.

Do you have a link on this? I know there was a test Jayztwocents or someone did recently comparing placement and intake/exhaust and this was the conclusion, but I can't find the one I'm thinking of.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Yeah taking off the front panel is a non starter - it’s in my office and can’t look like a disaster half built with missing pieces.

If the external radiator will solve the problem then great! That was my whole question and sounds awesome if it will resolve the lack of airflow to the gpu. As far as air flow (with the case fully assembled and all panels attached) it’s actually just fine? That is, outside of the bottom of the gpu where it’s fans are right against the PSU, hence this specific ask.

Still am curious to see the quality level on the replacement front pane that was mentioned though - I can’t find it googling.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

kloa posted:

Most likely. Otherwise a blower fan would’ve been a better choice for that case.

Got a link to a setup like this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sniep posted:

Yeah taking off the front panel is a non starter - it’s in my office and can’t look like a disaster half built with missing pieces.

If the external radiator will solve the problem then great! That was my whole question and sounds awesome if it will resolve the lack of airflow to the gpu. As far as air flow (with the case fully assembled and all panels attached) it’s actually just fine? That is, outside of the bottom of the gpu where it’s fans are right against the PSU, hence this specific ask.

Still am curious to see the quality level on the replacement front pane that was mentioned though - I can’t find it googling.

looks like its only done for the full size case.

https://modmymods.com/phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx-replacement-front-cover-air-flow-mod-anthracite-gray.html

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you have a link on this? I know there was a test Jayztwocents or someone did recently comparing placement and intake/exhaust and this was the conclusion, but I can't find the one I'm thinking of.

That seems like more of a Gamers Nexus thing, but I'm not seeing anything at a quick glance aside from a video on top vs. front mounting a radiator in the H500P.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Aw, dang. Well regardless, that which does make it thru the side-vents on the front panel from the 2x 140mm Noctua intake fans seems to move enough air to keep the rest of the system cool.

It really is just a GPU problem with this glaring design flaw, that I had hoped would just work itself out:

Unfortunately, my instincts were correct and it does not provide enough airflow, hoping be damned, hence why I was wondering if the remote radiator/fan would work.

All this talk about on top vs. for exhaust, though, has me concerned, since on top is the case-sponsored spot to mount a radiator (and it's the only spot I have room - as the exhaust fan spot lacks clearance for the rad/fan due to the CPU fan, which would then also need to be replaced, and that's a poo poo load more work than I want to do. I remain hopeful that top mounting will work with the case's built-in exhaust slots on top?

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 26, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sniep posted:

Aw, dang. Well regardless, that which does make it thru the side-vents on the front panel from the 2x 140mm Noctua intake fans seems to move enough air to keep the rest of the system cool.

It really is just a GPU problem with this glaring design flaw, that I somehow thought would just work itself out:

Unfortunately, my instincts were correct and it does not provide enough airflow, hoping be damned, hence why I was wondering if the remote radiator/fan would work.

All this talk about on top vs. for exhaust, though, has me concerned, since on top is the case-sponsored spot to mount a radiator (and it's the only spot I have room - as the exhaust fan spot lacks clearance for the rad/fan due to the CPU fan, which would then also need to be replaced, and that's a poo poo load more work than I want to do. I remain hopeful that top mounting will work with the case's built-in exhaust slots on top?

Oh god, I think I see your problem. You bought an MSI Armor, which is the worst aftermarket cooler you can get.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Regrettable posted:

Oh god, I think I see your problem. You bought an MSI Armor, which is the worst aftermarket cooler you can get.

Mannnnn nobody told me that!

Well, I have an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID GAMING CAPITAL LETTERS MODEL on the way, so, let's see how this works out.

I have a hunch it will be much better.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

It's fine for 1070 and under but anything above that is going to run pretty hot. The only thing it's really good for is water cooling since it uses the Gaming X PCB.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Regrettable posted:

It's fine for 1070 and under but anything above that is going to run pretty hot. The only thing it's really good for is water cooling since it uses the Gaming X PCB.

Well, that's what the hybrid part is, water cooling up to the remote radiator+fan, right? Back to my original question, does it suck, or does it work? From what I can gather, it should work?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It should work fine.

I liked those cases too, but just too many concessions made to look cool. Really cool :(

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It should work fine.

I liked those cases too, but just too many concessions made to look cool. Really cool :(

I hope it ends up working fine for me 'cuz I also love the design of the case, and the size.

The build project tenets for this were:

A) As small as possible, and looking slick (built in cable management, etc)
B) As powerful as possible...
C part 1) ...Without overclocking..
C part 2) ...and thus without water cooling if not necessary.

Unfortunately it's proving necessary for the GPU, but, if this solves the issue and takes me down to the 60°s/70°s on the GPU at load, then I think it's still a full success.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 26, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just installed my 1080 (gigabyte wf3), should I overclock it out of the box? Never done it before.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sniep posted:

Well, that's what the hybrid part is, water cooling up to the remote radiator+fan, right? Back to my original question, does it suck, or does it work? From what I can gather, it should work?

Yeah, from what I can find the only card cooler out of the box is the Asus ROG Poseidon and only by 2°C.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sniep posted:

It really is just a GPU problem with this glaring design flaw, that I had hoped would just work itself out:

Make a 3d printed 120mm fan shroud that pushes air through the heatsink

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, from what I can find the only card cooler out of the box is the Asus ROG Poseidon and only by 2°C.

meaning, beats it in low temp?

e: Oh poo poo, that one (like many others) wouldn't work for me anyway!

Note the 90° angle the tubes are to attach - that goes directly into my PSU in my configuration. So I chose the EVGA FTW3 HYBRID since it's pipes shot out the top instead.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 26, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Google Butt posted:

I just installed my 1080 (gigabyte wf3), should I overclock it out of the box? Never done it before.

Probably. If you have the power supply and case airflow for it you can move up the power target without paying attention to anything. Put like +200 offset for the memory and ignore it forever until you want to do stability testing to get the last 5% of performance. Power target and a small memory offset will get you the first 15%.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sniep posted:

meaning, beats it in low temp?

Yes

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sniep posted:

So I chose the EVGA FTW3 HYBRID since it's pipes shot out the top instead.

Hahaha I googled it when you posted before and saw that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can test this by getting out a candle or some incense or something and seeing how much smoke is getting pulled around.

It's so :stonklol: that this is a problem nowadays... YOU HAD ONE JOB, case makers! :argh:

Someone’s been watching Steve and Snowflake. :3:

I know Bitwit (Kyle) has done some videos on radiator placement; the other ones I’m thinking of are GN. I feel like there was a more general one than the terrible CoolerMaster H500P but can’t remember which.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Arivia posted:

Someone’s been watching Steve and Snowflake. :3:

I know Bitwit (Kyle) has done some videos on radiator placement; the other ones I’m thinking of are GN. I feel like there was a more general one than the terrible CoolerMaster H500P but can’t remember which.

Jay has a video on radiator placement. If placing at intake is better / worse than exhaust. It doesn't make a ton of difference, but there is some.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
For someone like me who has no clue who you're talking about, can anyone post a link?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wacky Delly posted:

Jay has a video on radiator placement. If placing at intake is better / worse than exhaust. It doesn't make a ton of difference, but there is some.

Its all on a per-case basis too, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What's the lowest GeForce card that will output 4K and has digital audio and can be had in low profile? This is for a HTPC

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

codo27 posted:

What's the lowest GeForce card that will output 4K and has digital audio and can be had in low profile? This is for a HTPC
gtx 1050
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125951

gt 1030 can output 4k but digital audio output seems to be in question
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/pascal-hdmi-audio-gt-1030-no-sound.224182/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

codo27 posted:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N1030D5-2GL#kf

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Also this https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dis...layport+to+hdmi will work fine wth older cards on the cheap.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm trying to keep it cheap as possible. Picked up this old desktop at a thrift store for about $9, core 2 duo, 2/80gb, W7 pro license. Can snag 8gb of ddr2 Ram for 17 bucks on eBay, just wanna be able to output to 4K when I get a new TV if I'm gonna make a HTPC out of it. It only has VGA and DVI, so that converter is no good to me. I'll go back to 700 series if I can track down something

codo27 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 26, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Does this include Netflix 4K?
I've read conflicting requirements for that, but it needs quite a beefy card. The 1030 certainly won't do, not sure about a 1050 not-Ti either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Netflix I don't care about but gf has it so might be nice to be able to. I figured for just playing videos I could use almost any ol' thing, but I know my brother's 560ti won't output 4k.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

redeyes posted:

Also this https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dis...layport+to+hdmi will work fine wth older cards on the cheap.
You sure about that? I have a passive 210 in my HTPC, so I almost impulse bought one of these for my new TV but then I saw this in the description:

"Available resolution options will be determined by the specifications and abilities of your computer/graphics adapter and attached display. I.e.; if the graphics adapter in your system is only capable of outputting a maximum of 1080P to an external display, the Plugable active adapters will not allow you to exceed this limitation, regardless of the specifications of the attached monitor."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

codo27 posted:

Netflix I don't care about but gf has it so might be nice to be able to. I figured for just playing videos I could use almost any ol' thing, but I know my brother's 560ti won't output 4k.

At the point of a 1050ti you’re spending enough money that you might consider just getting an Apple TV 4K instead and use the PC as a Plex server for locally stored media.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sniep posted:

How about this - put the radiator at the top, then flip that exhaust fan and make it an intake. The rear exhaust spot has the airflow clearance to actually bring some cool air inside the case and blow it right onto your CPU and your GPU radiator. You can slap on a magnetic dust filter if you want to keep things clean.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while at the first chance, and I have a tempting Black Friday deal on a Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini, a little over 10% off. And the mini form factor is especially interesting to me because I already have a small case (Core V1, which does fit most but not all full-sized GPUs) and I might switch to an even smaller one next year.

I'm kinda out of the loop so I have some questions:

1) I've heard bad things about Zotacs, quality control and noise and such. Are they so bad I should I stay away?

2) Last I read about GTX 2080s, they were unlikely to be released before Q2 2018 and the first few models were also unlikely to significantly outperform a 1080 Ti. Is that still the current forecast?

3) My current screen is a 1080p (which is currently stressing my old GTX 750 Ti pretty hard), so obviously I'd be looking to upgrade shortly after this purchase. I understand the 1080 Ti can push 4k @ 60fps, but that's with current-gen games. If I want to keep this card for at least two years, would it be wiser to get something a little smaller, like a 3440 x 1440?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

NihilCredo posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while at the first chance, and I have a tempting Black Friday deal on a Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini, a little over 10% off. And the mini form factor is especially interesting to me because I already have a small case (Core V1, which does fit most but not all full-sized GPUs) and I might switch to an even smaller one next year.

I'm kinda out of the loop so I have some questions:

1) I've heard bad things about Zotacs, quality control and noise and such. Are they so bad I should I stay away?

2) Last I read about GTX 2080s, they were unlikely to be released before Q2 2018 and the first few models were also unlikely to significantly outperform a 1080 Ti. Is that still the current forecast?

3) My current screen is a 1080p (which is currently stressing my old GTX 750 Ti pretty hard), so obviously I'd be looking to upgrade shortly after this purchase. I understand the 1080 Ti can push 4k @ 60fps, but that's with current-gen games. If I want to keep this card for at least two years, would it be wiser to get something a little smaller, like a 3440 x 1440?

1) I've heard other goons pan Zotac's fans as being bottom-of-the-barrel, but I don't have any personal experience to verify that.
2) I thought about holding out for a next gen nVidia card, too, but doing that seems to be a fool's errand. 1080 prices seem to be going back up, so I'm leaning more towards a 1070 Ti.
3) I don't see why unless you want to save some money on your next card. If you can get a 1080 Ti, then go for it and enjoy the 4k gaming performance while it lasts.