Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I’m trying to think of examples where a studio dumped whole hog into a tent pole franchise-maker movie recently and it ended up losing money. “Less successful than hoped for “ is common and describes BvS as well, but a legit flop?

Didn't Lionsgate intend for the new Power Rangers movie to kick off a whole franchise, only for it to flop horribly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

F4ntastic (2015)
The studio pretty much aborted that one while it was in post, and it was never a tent pole.

Timby posted:

Didn't Lionsgate intend for the new Power Rangers movie to kick off a whole franchise, only for it to flop horribly?

Oh yeah. That’s a good example. They were pushing that movie ridiculously hard for what it was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, don't forget The Mummy, whose failure was so catastrophic that it effectively torpedoed the rest of Universal's DARK UNIVERSE.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Timby posted:

iirc it did alright enough in toy sales that it might get a sequel anyway

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

I’m glad. I actually liked that movie a lot more than I thought I would, tonal whiplash notwithstanding.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Timby posted:

Also, don't forget The Mummy, whose failure was so catastrophic that it effectively torpedoed the rest of Universal's DARK UNIVERSE.

That’s kind of an edge case though because the dark universe was so stupid it was doomed before it started. Whereas WB has managed to gently caress up Batman and Superman at a time when comic book movies are minting money.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WB has managed to gently caress up Batman and Superman

This didn't happen.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just watched Spider-man:Homecoming, loving great movie not a bad actor in the entire thing,inventive action scenes great chemistry between everyone and the best credits animation of any marvel movie.

post credits scene was underwhelming but it's the only thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

McSpanky posted:

This didn't happen.

I pretty sure when they say “gently caress up Batman and Superman” they were using shorthand to mean “WB hosed up by not creating a version of Batman and Superman that the greater mass audience wanted to see. While Batman and Superman are fictional characters, the greater American audience did not like the way the characters were portrayed and thus WB ‘hosed up Batman and Superman’.”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just watched Spider-man:Homecoming, loving great movie not a bad actor in the entire thing,inventive action scenes great chemistry between everyone and the best credits animation of any marvel movie.

post credits scene was underwhelming but it's the only thing.

I found Michelle, the hipster girl, to be rather annoying. Ned was utterly amazing, though. And I really enjoyed the camaraderie of the crooks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

This is good because it's a really loving bad movie on every level.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

McSpanky posted:

This didn't happen.

Losing 100 million dollars on a Justice League movie in this year of our lord 2017 is a fuckup of epic proportions that does not admit to giving a gently caress about your dumb nerd arguments.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I pretty sure when they say “gently caress up Batman and Superman” they were using shorthand to mean “WB hosed up by not creating a version of Batman and Superman that the greater mass audience wanted to see. While Batman and Superman are fictional characters, the greater American audience did not like the way the characters were portrayed and thus WB ‘hosed up Batman and Superman’.”

The rest of the sentence was about money but, okay, that didn't happen either.

E: guy you were clearly talking about BvS before, don't switch horses midstream.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 25, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

It was on the movie channel in the hospital when I was just there. Even being stoned to the gills--to the point that I literally couldn't type coherent sentences on my phone, I was at Dickeye / mothrfucdek levels--on oxycontin didn't make that movie good.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Davros1 posted:

I found Michelle, the hipster girl, to be rather annoying. Ned was utterly amazing, though. And I really enjoyed the camaraderie of the crooks.

The one who's all doom and gloom? I thought she was hilarious and much more interesting than liz by a mile.

dont even fink about it posted:

Oh god I loving watched that the other day it's SO bad,like a loving starter kit for a lovely bland movie from 2003.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Brother Entropy posted:

Losing 100 million dollars on a Justice League movie in this year of our lord 2017 is a fuckup of epic proportions that does not admit to giving a gently caress about your dumb nerd arguments.

They aren't going to lose any money because of the above. Like Beavis, JL was almost certainly profitable or nearly so before it ever sold a ticket.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I feel like I'm one of the five people that enjoyed The Mummy. It certainly had its issues, but when it leans into the pulpiness of everything, it's pretty fun. That second act climax where Tom Cruise is fighting Mr.Hyde while Mummy Lady tries to escape made me realize that I actually do want a monster mash-up action movie.

I also thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was okay, so keep that in mind.

E:

Oh god I loving watched that the other day it's SO bad,like a loving starter kit for a lovely bland movie from 2003.

I realized right after posting this that LXG is from 2003. So is Van Helsing which I just got from the library today, because I really want to watch a monster mash up action movie.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Can't stand LXG but I've always liked that the villain is Alan Moore. Good sets too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Can't stand LXG but I've always liked that the villain is Alan Moore. Good sets too.

woah wait what? are you being metaphorical? I saw it on pirate DVD when I was 12 and I thought it sucked but alan moore as a villain sounds like the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

It was on the movie channel in the hospital when I was just there. Even being stoned to the gills--to the point that I literally couldn't type coherent sentences on my phone, I was at Dickeye / mothrfucdek levels--on oxycontin didn't make that movie good.

Between this and Jack Reacher 2, which played out like a recycled script for an early 90's Harrison Ford vehicle, my guess is Tom needs to find better talent to develop scripts with him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Justice League

There's a good movie somewhere in there but man did it not show up

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Supposedly the original script for The Mummy was pretty good but when Cruise got involved his contract allowed him to make changes so the script was changed to focus on his character a lot more.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Fact: having Tom Cruise in your movie makes it a Tom Cruise Movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Haha drat, never thought about it like that. And it did have some nice designs in it, like the ridiculous sword car.
I think Dorian Gray annoyed me the most, they gave him the great line of "I'm complicated" but then totally bungle the painting and his death. Such a missed opportunity to have had someone stab the painting and have the blade come out him.

I keep wanting to revisit it, but I'm sure it's still the same dull mess I remember.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched it recently now that I'm totally removed from the comic or any expectations to se if I was overly harsh on it. It still sucks and is a mess of flashy design thrown together, but it wasn't near as unwatchable as I remembered it being. Just sort of a bad dumb action flick.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Supposedly the original script for The Mummy was pretty good but when Cruise got involved his contract allowed him to make changes so the script was changed to focus on his character a lot more.

I'm willing to believe this is 100% a studio exec "leaking" "information" to take the blame off of themselves for making such a lovely loving movie because everyone else who talks about movies where Tom Cruise had creative control make him out to be incredibly understanding, friendly, and doing his best to make the movie the best it can be.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Conal Cochran posted:

I realized right after posting this that LXG is from 2003. So is Van Helsing which I just got from the library today, because I really want to watch a monster mash up action movie.

Is it weird that the movies I think of as epitomizing the 90s are mostly from the early 2000s :stare:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

woah wait what? are you being metaphorical? I saw it on pirate DVD when I was 12 and I thought it sucked but alan moore as a villain sounds like the greatest thing I've ever heard.

At first I thought they were going for Rasputin but the guy is blatantly Alan Moore.

wyoming posted:

I think Dorian Gray annoyed me the most, they gave him the great line of "I'm complicated" but then totally bungle the painting and his death. Such a missed opportunity to have had someone stab the painting and have the blade come out him.

Dorian Gray was a great idea. I honestly thought they could've done a whole movie about Nemo.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Can't remember a goddamn thing about LXG except steampunk Nazis and mr hyde looking unbelievably advanced in the cgi department.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neurolimal posted:

I'm sure this is going to launch into a discussion of either capitalism or feudalism, but I feel like pointing out that a family leading a country and having a succession crisis is literally something that recently happened (behind-the-scenes, admittedly) in Cuba.

Or, going on right now, Saudi Arabia. A conflict between one candidate for the throne who wants his country to become more liberal and involved in foreign affairs and a conservative, isolationist candidate who wants to return to the old ways in force is very believable even today.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cythereal posted:

Or, going on right now, Saudi Arabia. A conflict between one candidate for the throne who wants his country to become more liberal and involved in foreign affairs and a conservative, isolationist candidate who wants to return to the old ways in force is very believable even today.

Lol. Could not have picked a worse example.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cythereal posted:

BP is an aspirational fantasy, because it portrays Wakanda as a parallel for a regressive imperialist theocracy with the dumb luck to sit on an ocean of oil. Goddamn

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

BP is an aspirational fantasy, because it portrays Wakanda as a parallel for a regressive imperialist theocracy with the dumb luck to sit on an ocean of oil. Goddamn

I will give TNC credit, in interviews about his run on the series, he explicitly compared Wakanda to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I will give TNC credit, in interviews about his run on the series, he explicitly compared Wakanda to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

It's a totally fine idea but a really weird counter to your point. Like I think it's totally possible that's where the movie will go but it's bugfuck to then say this is a positive portrayal of Africa in contrast to racist old Beavis. It's a deeply cynical rejection of Afro-futurism

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Right, that's what annoys me. Afrofuturism is specifically NOT that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My forthcoming ideal edit of Beavis will not include the plot twist that the North African refugee is being coerced by Luthor, so you'll have all of that juicy 'Superman is literally being called out as a racist' without the nearsighted compromise of the ultimate edition.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Right, that's what annoys me. Afrofuturism is specifically NOT that.

Yeah it's a very nasty place to take the concept. Which is right in TNC's wheelhouse honestly

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it's not perfect and I agree with you that they could have been handled better. It was kind of weak characterization for an event that basically is the catalyst for the entire movie. But through-out the movie it's shown that those folk are disposable to rich and/or power white folk who use that tragedy to judge Superman while ignoring their own hand (or government's) in the events that transpired. It's not fair to those characters for being disposable but it's not something that's done lightly or brushed over.

I'll have to give it another watch and see that sequence through that lens. Goodness knows any excuse to watch that or Man of Steel again is a good thing in my book. I'd avoid Justice League on those grounds too. Cyborg got butchered something fierce in the theatrical release if you go by any of these leaks.

Thats a shame, cyborg shouldve been the heart of the movie, considering he's a visceral literal symbol of teamwork

I also liked bits of Mummy like mr Hyde, the weird ending, etc

King Arthur was another underrated flop this year, and they were hoping to do like six more movies for it

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 26, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
With LXG, isn't the story that Sean Connery had passed on Gandalf and Dumbledore because he "didn't understand this fantasy poo poo" and then agreed to take the next fantasy role that was offered to him out of frustration of those two franchises. Unfortunately, it was LXG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If so that's hilarious and also good because he would be dreadful in either of those roles

• Locked thread