Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why is Python a "bad" choice?

My reason would be that when you learn Python, you only learn Python, and it hides a lot of stuff behind the scenes. If you only ever want to program in Python, that would be fine.

Other stuff, like C++, C#, Java (never used Rust), once you learn them, that knowledge has broad application to many other languages. Like, I learned C++, and then when I needed to use Java at one point, I basically skimmed over the Java grammar, and in a few minutes I knew Java well enough to be functional with it.

ADHD dog:

https://i.imgur.com/eL7LxoS.mp4

XK fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Python is not a bad choice, and is in fact used more and more in education. It teaches you to have consistent habits with your code, and it's so simple it's almost pseudocode at times, which is super good when you're just trying to get into the "how do I make computer do this" mindset, rather than inputting a bunch of poo poo every time you're trying to just experiment a bit.

It does have a couple nasty gotchas when you go into high level poo poo, but by the time your friend gets there, he'll have known about it, or moved to another language.

XK posted:

My reason would be that when you learn Python, you only learn Python, and it hides a lot of stuff behind the scenes. If you only ever want to program in Python, that would be fine.

This isn't true at all from my experience. Python is basically C++ with 90% less boiler plate and 90% worse performance.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well drat, look at all these posts. I see it didn't take too long for FTR to hit the ol' block list lmao.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

FailureToReport posted:

It isn't, I think most people are probably going to it because it's the least grey bland looking one and Yela has been front and center in the game for so long so the desert brown probably feels the most fresh.

I’m late to say it but I’m glad you got an SA account, FTR. As you’ve no doubt discovered, the gathering here is anything but homodox but I think if you stick around awhile, its virtues will make themselves apparent.

If you haven’t already paid a visit to SpaceToaster’s catalog of historical drama, you might want to. It’s an incomplete yet considerable highlight reel of some of the more colorful / objectionable / unbelievable occurrences goons have documented in CIG history. (This is helpful as the thread make callbacks and many such moments are invoked as memes or i jokes.)

Also worth a look (and also incomplete) is Mirificus’ anthropological exhibit featuring some of the odder birds in the Citizenry.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The true bible of coding is "Chris Robert's Guide to Midnight Programming" co-authored by Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

XK posted:

It just isn't worth the loonies going all, "The Goons are doxxing children again!"
What does this even mean? Did somebody call you at your work wanting to know why "Goons were doxxing" people? Do you have some personal stake in what idiots say out of their asses?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Only if we're talking in terms of how much of a trainwreck it is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Colostomy Bag posted:

The true bible of coding is "Chris Robert's Guide to Midnight Programming" co-authored by Ben Lesnick, Developer.

I should tell my brother-in-law that they're hiring.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Hello FTR remember to check out the other sights something awful has to offer, like this extremely good thread about pictures of famous sex perverts.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sum Mors posted:

What does this even mean? Did somebody call you at your work wanting to know why "Goons were doxxing" people? Do you have some personal stake in what idiots say out of their asses?

Really, I don't care at all.

Ask Beet why he wiped it last time it was posted.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

XK posted:

Oh man, don't ask me. I can't even begin to understand how doxxing babies and toddlers is supposed to work. I just know this video got posted in the middle of the night a few months ago, a person or two stated concerns about it, and I defended the self evident innocence of it. Beet pulled it in minutes because he just didn't even want to have to deal with it.

It just isn't worth the loonies going all, "The Goons are doxxing children again!"

Well that does not mean the video doxes baby and toddlers. Just because you felt the need to defend it's innocence does not mean it was Derek who was doxing them. For it to be pulled just helps those who wish to reinforce that Derek is doxing children, when it was public posted by their own family. (which at the time they where more than happy to make public; although Sandi was on the pay roll for being the VP of whatever while it was kept quite that she was also Chris Roberts wife. That right there at the start of this shows how deceptive they are.)

It was due to Derek that they made it public that they where married. Up till that, they where very deceptive about it (I'd guess due to both the 'look, a single "gamer" chick who is into this' and the nepotism angle that it makes with Chris employing his unqualified wife.

I don't think it is doxing myself and believe it is something that the Shitizen have used to discredit Derek unfairly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

Let's just go with I was super drunk, maybe? I don't know. Context has a lot to do with it, and I vaguely remember a bunch of conversation about how Baby Crobbits was probably a fuckface for a bunch of reasons.

But also I'm super drunk now, so who the gently caress knows.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

XK posted:

You don't care but you don't want people to have crazy negative opinions that they made up with their hole infested brains. It bothered you enough to bring it up. I'm legitimately curious as to why you (or anybody) would be wringing your hands.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Can't we all just hate Star Citizen?

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Beet Wagon posted:

:same:

$2,804,347 raised this November so far! :yotj:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

(Really I don't know anything about Python. If anything, Javascript should be the walking gun-throwing beast made of guns these days.)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Most transparent development ever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You care because if we have super dumb enough conversations Lowtax will arrive and lay waste to this place. In theory.

Also what's the loving benefit, pointing out the deflected allegations of nepotism is the point, not being weird about unrelated children. Thread mocks enough manchildren with the judgement centers of a toddler, you don't need actual toddlers throw onto the pile.

Although I guess they're not anymore cuz this game's loving development cycle will last into their teenage years and holy poo poo I feel bad for kids growing up in that kind of environment. Just realizing their father runs a giant space jpeg scam is going to be brutal.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Most transparent development ever.

transparent drunk moderating, here at the home of the best drat space sim thread ever

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sum Mors posted:

You don't care but you don't want people to have crazy negative opinions that they made up with their hole infested brains. It bothered you enough to bring it up. I'm legitimately curious as to why you (or anybody) would be wringing your hands.

I don't care. I just remembered being involved in the last time it was posted and pulled.

Beet Wagon posted:

Let's just go with I was super drunk, maybe? I don't know. Context has a lot to do with it, and I vaguely remember a bunch of conversation about how Baby Crobbits was probably a fuckface for a bunch of reasons.

Mods decided. Discussion over.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I... I doxxed them. I doxxed them all. They're doxxed, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children too.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So for the first time in years I've been lurking the sub reddit all day, just keeping up on the general reaction to 3.0

It's kind of eerie actually. Sale talk, "It's just a test of an alpha of a test" talk, endless hype and shop talk about which ship is going to be better at which thing. Meanwhile the actual game servers are melting down, again. It feels like I've stepped through a time portal back to the release of 2.0- but we already know how this turns out. They're going to take the money off this sale and then go dark for 6+ months. None of the bugs are gonna get fixed, none of the ships sold are gonna be released, at best you'll get some poo poo game mode shoved out and then abandoned. It's like the collective memory of Citizens is about 3 months long. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

thatguy posted:

I... I doxxed them. I doxxed them all. They're doxxed, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children too.

The worst kind of doxxing. Civil doxxing.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

The worst kind of doxxing. Civil doxxing.
Sweet communist
The communist doxxer
Standing in the Brown Seawater

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Just contrast this:

quote:

Yeah I've been trying hard to stay positive, but I've mostly given up. I was keen to test and find bugs, but I can't even get to that stage. It takes me 10+ minutes to load in (half the time I get the server error), then another 10 minutes of 5-10fps in Port Olisar. Finally once it gets 15-25fps, doors/kiosks won't open and I get stuck in the MobiGlass UI. By that time I'm 30 minutes in and haven't even spawned a ship. If I do manage to spawn a ship it gets flung away and I can't retrieve it. The furthest I got was to Daymar after about an hour of gruelling travel trying to get quantum travel/mobiglass/starmap to work along with the constant frame drops to 5fps. The sounds, the gameplay, the ships, everything is there but it's just not functioning enough to be enjoyable at the moment.

with this:

quote:

Whelp, finally did it. I love this game.

It's starting to feel like there's two entirely different Star Citizens with two different communities that just happen to share a forum.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

It's kind of eerie actually.

Is everyone still doing that super creepy thing where they crouch any criticism in a "I love Star Citizen and maybe also Chris Roberts/the project" sandwich?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Cheez posted:

Only if we're talking in terms of how much of a trainwreck it is.

I dunno man,

The outrage over the marketing misdeamenors of Sean Murray seem like it’d be but a fraction of the thermonuclear blast waves and radioactive fallout that awaits Chris when he fails to deliver upon his own prior claims. People were rightly pissed that the $60 spent for NMS delivered a game short of some promised features — but the worst thing most has to deal with was paying $60 for a $25 game experience.

Imagine paying $600, $6000, or $60,000 for a game promising a living, breathing universe populated with millions of intelligent NPCs all living distinct lives and following tailored schedules.

Imagine spending those sums for a game claiming it will have FPS combat “more lethal” than Call of Duty and with procedural environmental desctruction that makes DICE engineers grab their crotches and moan, “Oh my balls!”

Imagine you spent used car, new car, or even new luxury car money to pre-buy the game all but promising to transcend all games and become the first Quadruple A title in history.

And after all those claims, all those dollars, all those conferences, all those dreams, all those years, all you ended up with was a handful of planets bereft of life or anything resembling meaningful gameplay experiences. A micro-verse of flatly shaded spheres and missions no deeper than “go here grab that bring it back” jobs that somehow managed to outbore the Elite experience at its most taxing and quickly gave birth to an even more damning summary for delivering a game that was “a foot wide and an inch deep.”

Now imagine it’s swarming with more bugs than the Starship Troopers directors cut, and the only life you will ever find in it are your fellow imprisoned backers and a small army of terrorist goons who serve as both jailers and demons. Crashing their ships and thwarting any and all attempts at making meager sport while your fellow damned ship owners desperately try to “make their own fun” by LARPing out using the buggy Face Over IP experience while trapped in a male character only hell-i-verse because CIG never did figure out how to give players female options.

No Man’s Sky is going to be looking like Game of the Year at that point, guilty of the most harmless of exaggerations and eventually delivering something pretty doggone respectable considering the team size and budget.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 26, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XK posted:

There are many things wrong about this post but I'll leave this here instead: https://wiki.theory.org/index.php/YourLanguageSucks

(The irony of a wiki written in php was not lost on me btw)

edit: read the discussion page if you really want your brains melted today.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 26, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

So for the first time in years I've been lurking the sub reddit all day, just keeping up on the general reaction to 3.0

It's kind of eerie actually. Sale talk, "It's just a test of an alpha of a test" talk, endless hype and shop talk about which ship is going to be better at which thing. Meanwhile the actual game servers are melting down, again. It feels like I've stepped through a time portal back to the release of 2.0- but we already know how this turns out. They're going to take the money off this sale and then go dark for 6+ months. None of the bugs are gonna get fixed, none of the ships sold are gonna be released, at best you'll get some poo poo game mode shoved out and then abandoned. It's like the collective memory of Citizens is about 3 months long. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Dude be careful. Like the old alcoholic turned teetotaler who decides to revisit past blotto haunts as a show of strength and proof of closure who wakes up the next day with an eye-splitting headache next to a woman named “who the hell are YOU!?” and a reset to Day One on your AA odometer, you are tempting fate here in a big way.

Remember.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm sure there's some specific term for a town full of rubes sitting quietly as the snake oil barber rolls out in his wagon for fear of admitting to his neighbor exactly thoroughly he was taken in.

Whatever that term might be I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot of that going on when the curtain falls.

There would have to be a pretty amazing supernova if there's ever an official "the project is done, whoops" moment.

But if there's some kind of herculean carefully managed shutdown process with Sq42 refunds dispersed "until the project is finished we intend to maintain confidence by paying you back for your patience" and the eternal wait for a SC that'll never come they might somehow avoid a flashpoint?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dusty Lens posted:

Is everyone still doing that super creepy thing where they crouch any criticism in a "I love Star Citizen and maybe also Chris Roberts/the project" sandwich?

Not today, today people are mostly in one of two camps:
A) Overwhelmingly hyping and praising the new sales and dreaming about things to come, marveling over screenshots of people on moons, new chariots etc.
B) The poor downtrodden masses who have to play 3.0 on the "Public" servers as opposed to whatever god-machine they reserve for the streamers. Mostly very frustrated and dealing with practical problems like constant disconnects, clipping through every surface, unplayable framerates and so on.

The two camps don't really... seem to interact with each other at all. I imagine that if the complaining about the actual state of the game goes on for more than a few days, it will start getting shouted down, but for now the dreams and the crushing reality are side by side but unmixed. It's really weird.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

There are many things wrong about this post but I'll leave this here instead: https://wiki.theory.org/index.php/YourLanguageSucks

(The irony of a wiki written in php was not lost on me btw)

I only used Python once. :c00lbutt:

It's actually up to PederP to explain why Python is a bad choice.

I could only give my perspective of finding it too simplistic.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I was reading the excellent catalog of Star Citizen highlights, and I had a thought

Maybe we've been doing this all wrong

What if instead of rational analysis and all this negativity, we should

wait for it

we should be inflating people's expectations way past what Croberts can manage. Like get people believing it's not only going to be a realistic fun space sim, but it's also going to be literally the best shooter, best RPG, best MMO, best dating sim, Best Super Mario Kart, all of it

Playing it for three hours a day on weekdays will give you the physique of Super Man/Wonder Woman in six months

You will make so much money that your financial stresses will be over

Your cat will come back after you foolishly left it outside

It will have music that will function as both music and background noise, like in Blade Runner or Super Metroid but be better than either of those

Chris Roberts will become a personal friend who will always watch over you, whispering into your cell phone, getting you money, out of scrapes. You will be his blessed secret agent, like in the Gene Wolfe short story Westwind

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I guess some of that could be attributed to CIG's forums essentially being shut down? That used to be where people would dump on one issue or another whereas reddit was fairly sanctified. It has been so long since CIG actually shoved anything out the door that there haven't been a lot of opportunities for people to actually have something to reflect on, outside of the usual muttering about sales.

What a weird subreddit.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Dude be careful. Like the old alcoholic turned teetotaler who decides to revisit past blotto haunts as a show of strength and proof of closure who wakes up the next day with an eye-splitting headache next to a woman named “who the hell are YOU!?” and a reset to Day One on your AA odometer, you are tempting fate here in a big way.

Remember.

You don't know me! I can quit any time I want.

Seriously though, even in fun it's a good warning. But I'm unlikely to forget. I made a mistake when 2.0 launched and it seemed like a big leap forward. I thought it meant that after a dry spell they'd be making progress from then on. Obviously that wasn't true- they made their money, went quiet for basically the next 8 or 9 months, and by February I was out (again) and happily taking my lumps both here and offline for being so stupid.

3.0 is a weird mirror of that launch, with the added twist that it feels like it's mostly the same people falling for the same maneuver a second time. Razzle-dazzle with a big release that is irredeemably hosed and fundamentally boring, get everyone hyped about the possibilities and then reassure them that it's all coming soon- look, you can already play it and we'll get those bugs hammered out in the next month or two! Then wander off while they empty their pockets at you (because your sale just happens to be now, and these ships won't be on sale again for another year!)

The nice thing about admitting when you're wrong is that it lets you really cast a critical eye on why and helps to prevent making the same mistakes again. I don't feel a lot of pull to get back into "The game" when I go wander around the old Star Citizen haunts anymore. Mostly it's a really interesting insight into the power of groupthink and just how strongly people can delude themselves when they are being subjected to pressure sales tactics. I feel like in a rational society there's a lot about the way Star Citizen has been run that would be flat out illegal.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

we should be inflating people's expectations way past what Croberts can manage. Like get people believing it's not only going to be a realistic fun space sim, but it's also going to be literally the best shooter, best RPG, best MMO, best dating sim, Best Super Mario Kart, all of it
You realise CIG and the dumbass backers already literally think this? It's impossible to raise their expectations any higher than they are already. I think Chris genuinely thinks he's a god (although that's probably side effect of cocaine abuse).

The "last game you'll ever need" thing isn't something we made up, it's a direct loving quote from a cultist.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 26, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol

what a loving virgin

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nebakenezzer posted:

we should be inflating people's expectations way past what Croberts can manage.

Chris himself did this to the point of absurdity in the early days. For the first three years, every time he got in front of a camera the scope would balloon. If you can think of a video game mechanic, Chris has probably promised that it would be in the game. Some poor soul in this thread maintains a website that tracks all of them remarkably accurately:

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

literally the best shooter,

Yeah he promised that. http://gameranx.com/features/id/66151/article/what-happened-to-star-marine/

best RPG,
Yep

best MMO,
Already did it

best dating sim,
Love Pledge will be out some day.

Best Super Mario Kart,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwIV7OxtFw

all of it
You forgot commercial airline sim, exploration/science sim, farming sim, base building sim, sims 4 clone, survival game with crafting elements, face over ip, fully voice-acted single player game with all star cast, mining/prospecting sim, salvage and repair, cargo and trading, rescue and recovery, fully procedurally driven plant and animal life, etc etc etc

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
btw todays funding was absolutely anemic, considering:

they had two new ships for sale, the hammerhead for $650 and the new whatever for $80

they also put up some limited quantities of the idris and javelin (two of the most expensive ships, at $1250 and $2500 respectively)

$1m today ain't poo poo. this is really loving bad for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XK posted:

I only used Python once. :c00lbutt:

It's actually up to PederP to explain why Python is a bad choice.

I could only give my perspective of finding it too simplistic.

My bad, I conflated his bad post with yours. I would say that the problem of learning to program is being able to think about the logic in a way that doesn't require the syntax of any particular language.
I think people don't get taught well enough about what algorithms are and how to think about them.

Python looks simplistic but so should the basics of any language; if we accept that programming languages are a special form of written logic, we should encourage the clearest expression of that logic and for good reason: most code isn't written, it's maintained. Be glad that you might have to understand a Python program rather than an incomprehensible Perl program, or worse, C.

You teach people Python so they get the idea of coding, get into good habits of coding and can think about problems in a generalistic way. THEN you clobber them over the head with C++ and soon even Ruby looks good.

THEN you teach them about all the incompatible regular expression engines (a genuinely sucky aspect of Python) :devil: