Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, finally had a day to get back to working on the truck for real!
So, first thing for today, getting the exhaust in order.

Hose clamps and hanger are only temporary, since Amazon keeps changing the delivery date for the proper clamps and hangers.
But for now it works, and it keeps it a bit quieter. Also, you know, that whole not dumping noxious gas straight into the cabin thing.

Also cleaned up the fuel pump wiring a bit. At least now it doesn't get crushed by the door :v:

Went to go start it up, found the battery has been run down a bit. Guess I hosed around with the lights a bit too much.

Finally got it started up, and it's running pretty rough now. part of it is that the MAP sensor needs to be replaced, that's been a know issue since Nebraska.
That clanging noise is new though. And it was also pretty much running on fumes that this point. I'll let you guys have a listen and see what you think.

Trigger warning: Portrait video because I'm a terrible person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVVPIUtRoc

And also a big thanks to Angryrobots for donating the most essential part of this project:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Take the pipes back off the headers (lol no serious i want to see something) and see if by holding your hand very close to the end of the stub pipes you feel exhaust pulses specifically on the passenger side when running that time with the noises, i cant quite tell but in Nebraska i noticed it did something similar and had the above symptoms but smoothed out once hot

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sticky valve?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What the gently caress. I don't understand people that refuse to do even basic research on how to do something, even to double check to make sure what you're doing is correct or not. Other than a fire on a plane, fire on a boat is the worst possible situation you could be in, how do you not have that in the back of your mind? I cease to be amazed by this kind of poo poo.

But it's in the water, how can it catch fire? :eng99:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 5, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

But it's in the water, how can it catch fire? :eng99:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Finally got the last of the brakes in and hooked up...

...Only to find that I can't find my bleed kit. Oh well. I dropped some fluid in there, and it seems like it at least builds up pressure pretty well.

Also put some fresh gas in today and dumped like half a can of Seafoam into the tank today.
On top of finding a small exhaust leak it made a pretty impressive cloud and it seems to be running much better now.

So only a few things left at this point:

1. MAP Sensor
2. Clutch/flywheel cover
3. Gas cap
4. A few little lighting things left. Try and hook up the high beams, get the brake lights working, and maybe add a few running lights/marker lights down the side?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Then drive it back to Daddo's field and set it ablaze :black101:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

DICK DICER posted:

Then drive it back to Daddo's field and set it ablaze :black101:

That's kind of your thing. He would just be a second-rate wannabe..

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

shortspecialbus posted:

That's kind of your thing. He would just be a second-rate wannabe..

And third degree burns

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
Driving north on 75/23 in Ohio there is a trukk parked in a field with another trukk on it's bed, looks astoundingly similar, albeit in worse condition; next time I make this trek north I'm gonna take photos of it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

kzersatz posted:

Driving north on 75/23 in Ohio there is a trukk parked in a field with another trukk on it's bed, looks astoundingly similar, albeit in worse condition; next time I make this trek north I'm gonna take photos of it.

It's like in the first half life when you make it to the alien world but you find a few already dead scientists in HEV suits. We were not the first to try this...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I spent a weekend in Fort Pierce once and got so chewed up I couldn’t sleep and broke up with the girl whose idea it was within a month.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Got another chance to do some work on the truck, despite my job's best efforts to make me work today:

Protip for hose clamos: Make sure they'll be accessable before you crank them down all the way

Anyways, got that off, then was able to install a proper(ish) gas cap:

Also put the proper clamps on the exhaust and replaced the MAP sensor.
But I'm still having issues keeping it running. It still dies when the MAP sensor is plugged in. Without it, it seems like it's idling a bit better. Certainly quieter with the exhaust sealed up now.
But it still won't stay running. It'll run for about 5 mins or so, then it'll kinda choke itself off. I've still got some vacuum lines to trace out, and I still have to go over all the wiring again. :suicide:

Trying to use the gas pedal to rev it also kills it. Doesn't help that the pedal isn't the most sensitive thing. Manipulating the throttle by hand it'll ramp up just fine though.

Also I think the battery is shot. Either that or the alternator isn't charging it. Or the wiring isn't right

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Late to the game here but holy poo poo I cannot believe that truck is actually in Florida.

5'd and subscribed.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

I've still got some vacuum lines to trace out, and I still have to go over all the wiring again. :suicide:

Also I think the battery is shot. Either that or the alternator isn't charging it. Or the wiring isn't right

I had my top men on that job.

Top. Men.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Not sure that tank filler tube is dump bed compatible.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elephanthead posted:

Not sure that tank filler tube is dump bed compatible.

Ideally at some point, once I get to the proper restoration I'm gonna try to fit with a side mounted tank. But hey this works for now. Considering the dump bed doesn't :v:

Also, I found a few vacuum lines cracked and unplugged. Mostly for the EGR stuff. Patched them up and plugged them back in, and it seems to be idling better. Pretty much idled non-stop without dying.
Although plugging in the MAP sensor still killed it. Gonna try replacing all the vacuum lines and see if that helps.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Do you have the diagnostic connector still present on the harness? Get or build an ALDL readout and see what the ECU is pissed about. They actually have rudimentary diag abilities, at least the 93 I keep working on does.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think it's still floating around somewhere in the cab. It needs to be wired back in though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

I think it's still floating around somewhere in the cab. It needs to be wired back in though.

Yeah, you need that, and the CEL wired in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, you need that, and the CEL wired in.

Just wire the CEL to the horn relay, job done.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Lookit this guy, assuming I have fancy things like "A horn"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Lookit this guy, assuming I have fancy things like "A horn"

I would pay you money to go mount a Godfather horn on this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEnK4Hywj2k

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How much does like an ocean barge horn go for

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Dunno but you can probably get a quote from these guys:
http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/commercial-military-air-horns

e. yes, click "hear it" on this one
http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/commercial-military/model-kph-130c-electric-piston-horn

I'm sure a horn designed for ships 75 to 200 meters long should suffice

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

On the other hand, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN8F4D_lUo&t=12s

I'm pretty sure I can fit a compressor in the bed :v:

E. I do like the sound of this one though:
http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/commercial-military/model-t-4a-chimetone-air-horn

E.E. Okay, nevermind the horn, we're going full old-timey boat: http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/industrial-signaling/whistles/triple-chime-air-steam-whistle

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 15, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

verbal enema posted:

I had a klaxon horn from a tug boat in the engine bay of my old Holden ute, with the regular horn under the bumper. It was loud as gently caress and I got into trouble on more than one occasion. It was a good thing I had the regular horn because I got pulled over for using it once and the officer said "toot your horn for me, would you?". I gave it an anemic little "toot toot" and he went "oh sorry sir it must have been someone else in traffic, off you go".

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ahahaha yess

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ok. Wired in the ALDL port, checked all the wiring...and it won't read. :suicide:

I've looked over several diagrams, confirmed I've got the right ports, and tried it with two readers. Nothing.

So gently caress it, I'm taking the easy way out. Finally found an intact harness on eBay that wasn't like $700. Because Ell-oh-loving-ell if you think I'm paying that much for a bundle of wires. And apperently this one comes with an additional ECU. So there's that. :v:

So hopefully that'll help speed things along.

Git the brakes working better at least now, and it seems like the clutch fix Dave did before he left is working much better. Got it to lurch along a few feet with ease now.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 19, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, got the wiring harness in today.

Despite saying it's for a 5.7 TBI, despite saying it's uncut. Guess what?
None of the connectors match and it has several wires that have been cut off. gently caress.

So gently caress. I guess it's back to square one now. Rip all of the old wiring out, pray I can find a diagram that matches up, and go from there.
I guess the good news in that the electrical manuals seem to be pretty cheap on Ebay.

Also, Dave, gently caress whatever that brown tape you wrapped like everything in. That poo poo is a loving pain to peel back off.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What year was that van again?

I had a 1993 GMC sierra that was TBI. When the ECU blew (several times) from a bad ignition switch it wouldn’t read or flash codes, and ran really funny. The ECUs seemed to blow really easy and it was confusing because the engine still ran, just stalled really easy if you gave it to much throttle, timing was off and didn’t advance, bunch of weird poo poo. It only took a little bit of a rapid flicker or a spark to kill one.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

rdb posted:

What year was that van again?

I had a 1993 GMC sierra that was TBI. When the ECU blew (several times) from a bad ignition switch it wouldn’t read or flash codes, and ran really funny. The ECUs seemed to blow really easy and it was confusing because the engine still ran, just stalled really easy if you gave it to much throttle, timing was off and didn’t advance, bunch of weird poo poo. It only took a little bit of a rapid flicker or a spark to kill one.

This is also a 1993. And that sounds like exactly the same problems I'm having. No codes, hitting the gas kills it, the timing is poo poo, etc...
So you might be on to something here!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

megasquirt when

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

It only took a little bit of a rapid flicker or a spark to kill one.

What about doing donuts while running on a battery in the passenger footwell, with a jump box sketchily attached and wedged between the battery and the door

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

megasquirt when

I think this is the answer.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Something something something, this whole adventure has been a megasquirt into my pants.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
oh man definitely needs megasquirt

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

What about doing donuts while running on a battery in the passenger footwell, with a jump box sketchily attached and wedged between the battery and the door

No its fine

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I went out to the Turkey Run in Daytona today. Certainly got some inspiration as to what to do with this thing.
So enjoy a nice truck dump. With the occasion dump truck :v:

Pink truck:

Tiny Truck:

Seriously Dave buy the Nash already!

Blue Truck:

That's a tight fit.

Green Truck:

Big Truck:

Van Truck:

This is how I should have done up the van before we set out. :v:

Stubby Truck:

Sedan Delivery Truck:

Shiny Trucks:

:stare: Truck:

International Truck:

Bumper Truck:

Gullwing Truck:

Dead Truck:

Rusty Truck:

Bandit Truck:

Big Truck:

Fire Truck:

Black Truck:

FUEL INJECTION Truck:

And then earlier tonight we went out for dinner and desert and the new place in town had this sitting out front:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Good truck posts

• Locked thread