Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I also really enjoyed Punisher as well. Did not expect it to be that good and unlike alot of the other Netflix Marvel shows, it stayed strong throughout. A close second after the 1st season of Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So, I'm looking for recommendations on two things:

First, a good, light show to watch on Netflix after realizing that basically everything I had on my to-watch list was dark and/or depressing -- I'm thinking of shows like The Good Place, Leverage, and Pushing Daisies. Stuff like GBBO is good, but I'm not really looking for reality shows.

The other is more specifically a procedural type show with lots of episodes and fairly solid quality -- if Poirot, Monk, Murder She Wrote, Psych, or Columbo were still on Netflix these would be what I'd be watching right now, but they're all gone. I know there's a bunch of British shows on Netflix but I have no idea which ones are any good.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Law & Order SVU fits the bill for your procedural fix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Bushwick is pretty stupid but it's also entertaining. If you enjoy dumb poo poo like The Purge like I do, its worth a watch. Also it's probably the only thing you'll ever be able to watch where dave bautista is the best actor in it.

That looked really good, the description of it made it sound like Good Time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still haven't seen Good Time. I need to rent that today. I keep hearing it's great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Keep in mind that Pattinson is a worse actor than Batista for sure.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

GonSmithe posted:

All of the Hand stuff in Daredevil season 2 is dogshit

All the stuff that's not the Punisher laying waste to them with a high powered rifle at the very end

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why didn't anyone tell me Sam Waterston is in Godless. Time to binge this fucker.

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
Can anyone sell me on a Hulu sub? I use Netflix and Amazon Prime pretty regularly, but I just noticed that Fox titles will be exclusively on Hulu starting in December. Are there a lot of heavy hitters or must see type content that netflix and prime don't cover? The only thing right now that's really pushing my decision is not being able to drunkenly play Always Sunny in the background of whatever else I'm doing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hulu is fuckin' trash.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Counterpoint: Lucifer is a p good show.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hulu is fuckin' trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blind Rasputin posted:

Counterpoint: Lucifer is a p good show.

I don't doubt they still have some good stuff. But after they lost the Criterion stuff I have no reason to give them any slack. There isn't even a free option anymore, is there?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The most trash thing about Hulu is their Xbox app is the most garbage tier UI I’ve ever used anywhere ever. I’m sure that format is on other consoles as well, it’s hideous.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
20 minutes into Bushwick and they are doing that faked single take thing and it's too distracting for me to finish.

If you want to see a true feat watch Victoria a 2+ hour movie that is filmed in a single non faked take covering multiple city blocks with lots of dialog and some action scenes. It is truly impressive.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 26, 2017

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tainen posted:

20 minutes into Bushwick and they are doing that faked single take thing and it's too distracting for me to finish.

If you want to see a true feat watch Victoria a 2+ hour movie that is filmed in a single non faked take covering multiple city blocks with lots of dialog and some action scenes. It is truly impressive.

Haha brutally unfair comparison. Bushwick is like the feature-length version of some guy's senior thesis movie.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

The most trash thing about Hulu is their Xbox app is the most garbage tier UI I’ve ever used anywhere ever. I’m sure that format is on other consoles as well, it’s hideous.

Yeah the PS4 app is godawful now. They haven't gotten around to updating the LG TV app yet at least. Hulu is ok at best. They have the exclusive rights to 30 Rock now so there's that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah every time Hulu updates their app is gets worse. it's barely useable right now. Whoever is in charge of their UI design should be loving fired. On PS4 I can barely navigate it or tell what I've selected at this point. They've completely ditched basic functionality in favor of aesthetics that aren't even very good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To gently caress with NBC Universal.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

How could it possibly be worse than the Amazon Prime Video app on every platform?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah every time Hulu updates their app is gets worse. it's barely useable right now. Whoever is in charge of their UI design should be loving fired. On PS4 I can barely navigate it or tell what I've selected at this point. They've completely ditched basic functionality in favor of aesthetics that aren't even very good.

Everyone says this and I finally loaded it up (I use my sister's password for ain't paying for that, though they have some decent stuff it's not enough to justify a sub) and I didn't find it to be the unintuitive nightmare I was led to expect. It was fine

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ugh I wish there was a way to stream Downton Abbey anywhere. That show was a culture phenom when it was on, but now it looks like it has never even happened... I just want to watch that poor entitled rich family try to navigate post world war 1 England!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Haha brutally unfair comparison. Bushwick is like the feature-length version of some guy's senior thesis movie.

I think you'll find that that's just most independent films.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Ugh I wish there was a way to stream Downton Abbey anywhere. That show was a culture phenom when it was on, but now it looks like it has never even happened... I just want to watch that poor entitled rich family try to navigate post world war 1 England!

It’s on Amazon Prime

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's because it turned even MORE soap-opera-y a few seasons in. I mean, it already was, but it got BAD with lazy plots and even camera setup.

Fizzing into garbage is a fate worse than early cancellation. If Dexter had ended at season 4, or Weeds at season 3, or Hell on Wheels at S4, or True Blood a S4, they'd be remembered as great shows.

Downton Abbey turned to poo poo at S4 and then struggled on for two more seasons. Like the rest, it is remembered as merely slightly-better-than-mediocre versus consistently great.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

K. Waste posted:

I think you'll find that that's just most independent films.

Yeah no doubt.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Island Nation posted:

It’s on Amazon Prime

Thank you :aaaaa:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just finished the pilot to Mindhunter and I am hooked. This is basically styled as the progenitor of all serial killer procedurals.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's because it turned even MORE soap-opera-y a few seasons in. I mean, it already was, but it got BAD with lazy plots and even camera setup.

Fizzing into garbage is a fate worse than early cancellation. If Dexter had ended at season 4, or Weeds at season 3, or Hell on Wheels at S4, or True Blood a S4, they'd be remembered as great shows.

Downton Abbey turned to poo poo at S4 and then struggled on for two more seasons. Like the rest, it is remembered as merely slightly-better-than-mediocre versus consistently great.

I can only speak for Hell on Wheels, because they definitely scrambled to finish it on those last couple of episodes. Everything just had to be resolved right then and there, and it was odd seeing flashbacks into the future as intros.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 26, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

If you're a glutton for punishment, Comet (2014) isn't subscription streaming but holy hell is it lame. Justin Long is doing an RDJ impression the whole time. There are references to parallel universes, war, and sci-fi cancer-curing medical tech, but of course none of those things are actually depicted or relevant in any way and it's just another puerile breakup movie. Imagine, like, (500) Days of Summer except it's not satiric, Eternal Sunshine except it's not a sci-fi, or Miranda July's The Future except it's desperate to appease the spectator.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, Downton Abbey had a loving amnesia plotline.

I stopped watching after season 2. Every week, the plot was, "We're hosting a party this weekend, but Dan Stevens is away at World War I, and we are really concerned that he won't make it back in time for the party. And then he showed up each week and everyone was really happy because he made it back from the war for the party. And then he'd go back to the war until the next party."

Re: Hulu

The PS4 app is indeed atrocious. But just check out the lineup. The Handmaid's Tale is excellent. See what other tv shows you want to checkout the backlog of. I'm currently watching Blackish. If you're into dumb reality shows, all of the Real Housewives are up also. And most seasons of Survivor, which is currently in season 35.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There’s absolutely nothing committing you to keeping a streaming service for all time. Subscribe, watch what you want on there, and dump it. I cycle through Netflix/Hulu/HBO Now that way, letting stuff build up on the two I’m not watching. Right now there’s still a few more things I want to watch on Netflix, but eventually Hulu will get new seasons of The Handmaid’s Tale, Fargo, and Legion and I’ll switch back to it for a while. The movie selection is so variable on all of these that I don’t let that factor in much.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

K. Waste posted:

If you're a glutton for punishment, Comet (2014) isn't subscription streaming but holy hell is it lame. Justin Long is doing an RDJ impression the whole time. There are references to parallel universes, war, and sci-fi cancer-curing medical tech, but of course none of those things are actually depicted or relevant in any way and it's just another puerile breakup movie. Imagine, like, (500) Days of Summer except it's not satiric, Eternal Sunshine except it's not a sci-fi, or Miranda July's The Future except it's desperate to appease the spectator.

Sounds like a movie I'd probably bail on in less than half an hour, and a perfect candidate for my next bad movie marathon.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

The only thing right now that's really pushing my decision is not being able to drunkenly play Always Sunny in the background of whatever else I'm doing.

I think this is the main selling point of Hulu. Their selection more accurately reflects the experience of just turning on your TV and watching whatever in the background before streaming video was a thing. I think this gets used as a criticism, but honestly I see it as a positive.

It can't be prestige TV all the time. Sometimes you just want to watch 180 episodes of the Golden Girls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Hulu has a huge selection of stuff I don't really want to binge but don't mind throwing on in the background. They do really have a ton of shows and once in a while one will grab me, but I mostly use it to watch cooking shows or whatever while I'm doing something else.

Hulu gets a lot of hate but honestly for the price they do actually have a lot of content.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 26, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Terriers is going away from Netflix on December 1. Binge it now. It's one of the best detective shows ever made.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hulu's app sucks but in terms of TV content they're unrivaled. Watch Difficult People and Always Sunny.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Hubbardologist posted:

Aw yeah Michael Clayton went up on Netflix today. Such a good low key, slow-burn thriller.

except for old-school stuff like Aliens, I rarely watch anything a third time. Michael Clayton is a film that I just watched for a fourth. Its writing, and its acting (especially in that final segment) are just perfect. If anyone reading this is on the fence, here's another review: this is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hulu's PS4 app is definitely better than every iteration of Prime. Amazon seems to actively want to discourage you from watching anything. Half the time the "Recently Added Movies" section literally just isn't there.

I'm really getting sick of Netflix's PS4 app auto-playing the trailer for every loving thing I look at.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

K. Waste posted:

That describes just about the perfect in-flight movie for the trip to hell, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

I'm really getting sick of Netflix's PS4 app auto-playing the trailer for every loving thing I look at.

I don't mind that so much except for the fact that if it's not a Netflix Original, it's the trailer played with generic open source background muzak instead of sound from the actual trailer.

quote:

Hulu's PS4 app is definitely better than every iteration of Prime. Amazon seems to actively want to discourage you from watching anything. Half the time the "Recently Added Movies" section literally just isn't there.

People wouldn't complain so bad about the Hulu app except for the fact that it used to be decent. It used to be usable. The Prime app has always been unusable. But Hulu mad the conscious choice to say, "Huh. How can we make this experience worse."