Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

AAAAAAAAAAA
Goggle

This needs a modern kit. It'd make a great base for a Helghast or Jin-Roh conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

I'm not yet ready to drop $160 on anything I don't get to build ;_;

Yeah ok, but there will always be a hole in your heart where a frog looking robot should be.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought like 13 kits last night for Black Friday because I'm a bad person and Black Friday is a motherfucker.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Sorry to bring this up again, not trying to spam the thread but my kitbash site now has a domain, a kit lock function, and slightly less ugly design: kitbash.rip

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

worthless. posted:

Sorry to bring this up again, not trying to spam the thread but my kitbash site now has a domain, a kit lock function, and slightly less ugly design: kitbash.rip
Cool website, my first suggestion was to kitbash a unicorn with a FA unicorn though. :v:

The later roll of Age3 Orbital + Star Build Strike is a cool idea though.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 26, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah ok, but there will always be a hole in your heart where a frog looking robot should be.

I did this a bit ago, and it is a good Soviet frog derivative until I have $160 I can dispose of without jeopardizing my funbux: https://imgur.com/gallery/Xvmgd

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MJP posted:

I did this a bit ago, and it is a good Soviet frog derivative until I have $160 I can dispose of without jeopardizing my funbux: https://imgur.com/gallery/Xvmgd

drat, that's rad. I really need to get into airbrushing when I get a bigger apartment. Gonna get a Gusion now for sure.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Zedd posted:

Cool website, my first suggestion was to kitbash a unicorn with a FA unicorn though. :v:

The later roll of Age3 Orbital + Star Build Strike is a cool idea though.

Haha yeah that happens time to time since it’s completely random. Since The Origin gave us so many god drat Zaku I kits you sometimes get 2 of them. I could maybe add some logic but I recommend just locking the one you like more and hitting the button again :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

worthless. posted:

Haha yeah that happens time to time since it’s completely random. Since The Origin gave us so many god drat Zaku I kits you sometimes get 2 of them. I could maybe add some logic but I recommend just locking the one you like more and hitting the button again :v:

Depending on how it's rolling matches, you should be able to get it ignoring keywords like "Zaku" or "RX-78-02" to eliminate offshoots.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I might have to actually do this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Depending on how it's rolling matches, you should be able to get it ignoring keywords like "Zaku" or "RX-78-02" to eliminate offshoots.

Yeah I’ll defs do that soon. Right now the logic is super simplistic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dat forward ankle movement. Shame that it looks like a ball and socket thigh connection though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

drat, that's rad. I really need to get into airbrushing when I get a bigger apartment. Gonna get a Gusion now for sure.

It'd be possible to airbrush with acrylics out a window or something, if that helps.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MJP posted:

It'd be possible to airbrush with acrylics out a window or something, if that helps.

Will my apartment smell like paint fumes still? I don’t care but my wife is super sensitive to smell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Will my apartment smell like paint fumes still? I don’t care but my wife is super sensitive to smell.

If that's the case you're probably never going to be able to paint at your house until you get a dedicated room that you can close off. Even the best ventilation system will still leave some residual odor in the room from open paint bottles when you're done, and the model will have a faint odor as the paint dries. Plus you have to clean the brushes when you're done. So yeah, hold off until the divorce goes through.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah. “Divorced my wife for plastic crack,” will be written across my tombstone I’m sure

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
My dog chewed up my FM Barbatos Lupus 's hand that was sitting on my desk, so I bought another one and am giving it (minus the two pieces I need) in hopes that my friend will get into Gunpla.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Ah. “Divorced my wife for plastic crack,” will be written across my tombstone I’m sure

Kidding aside, do you know how sensitive she is to isopropyl alcohol fumes? That's probably a good starting point for acrylic odors.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Dependent on where you live obviously, but if your apartment complex has any outdoor area, you aren't somewhere windy, and there exist outdoor sockets an airbrush setup isn't exactly heavy-duty equipment.

Plus, Natural lighting! :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:shepicide:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm going to rat you out to Bandai for labeling your mechanicore kit PG. Hope it's fireproof u gently caress

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I'm going to rat you out to Bandai for labeling your mechanicore kit PG. Hope it's fireproof u gently caress

That's the livery for the Pegasus III carrier which is the main ship for Task Force Alpha, during the Pezun Rebellion, which is what Gundam Sentinel is all about. :eng101:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Taintrunner posted:

If you use the Vallejo Model Air range, the only smell you get is a sugary sweet smell. Downside is that they will scratch very easy if you haven't top coated.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
My wife at least likes the petitgguys so I always try to sneak in one with my orders. But my latest trip haul ended up a little differently...

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Has anyone here ever had a problem with P-bandai plastic? I've made a few with no problem but I just got a new zaku variant and some of the runners feel really cheap and others feel fine but have a lot of flash issues. Anyone else experience that?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Not really. If you're really concerned you could just get a normal room fan and point it out the window for a minute or two. Acrylics smell like a banana at worst, and that's only if you stock your nose right up to it.

Puddin posted:

If you use the Vallejo Model Air range, the only smell you get is a sugary sweet smell. Downside is that they will scratch very easy if you haven't top coated.

Thus far, Vallejo Mecha Color has been quite nice for me. It holds up against basic parts moving against each other and accidental drop scratches. It also smells a bit like a chocolate banana, which never hurts.

Meanwhile, anyone have an MG RX-78 The Origin junker or parter-outer? I need two of part B1. My basement floor seems to have eaten one, and I'm trying to make a mold for the other but I've had lousy luck duplicating parts that way.
It's not a structural component - fortunately the toe itself can still connect to the rest of the foot - but I'd like to have them if I could. I'll pay $5 plus shipping for both parts.

Edit: I put together a detailed Imgur album about chipping medium and Mecha Color. Next time I decide to do white over a dark brown color like the chipping color I'm building up over cream or a gray coat before white. The hardest part was getting even white over the chipping brown.

Still kicks some rear end, and hopefully a gunk wash over the decals and chips, and some rust pigment on the bigger chips, will help make things look a little more generally hosed up in the end.

Also holy crap the MG RX-78 The Origin version articulates SO NICELY. I've done Zaku II 2.0s before but this is up there with 'em, if not above 'em.

https://imgur.com/a/rZn9K

MJP fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 27, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've been waiting for the Vallejo mech line to hit Aus, good to hear that they are a bit tougher than the model air line.

They are an absolute joy to work with especially on clean up of tools.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

Has anyone here ever had a problem with P-bandai plastic? I've made a few with no problem but I just got a new zaku variant and some of the runners feel really cheap and others feel fine but have a lot of flash issues. Anyone else experience that?

Tallgeese II looks pretty cheap next to the regular release Tallgeese, the 'white' plastic is pretty much the 90's translucent gray found in the original HG Tallgeese I/II/III and I generally look at P-Bandai as having worse quality than regular releases. That said it could also just be that the Zaku molds are just clapped out from infinite reuse or maybe you got sent a bootleg. My money is on clapped out molds (with a dash of cheesy P-Bandai plastic), whenever I get a chance to compare reused parts like the Kshatriya vs Kshatriya Repair there's usually more flash and things don't line up as nice.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Puddin posted:

I've been waiting for the Vallejo mech line to hit Aus, good to hear that they are a bit tougher than the model air line.

They are an absolute joy to work with especially on clean up of tools.
Megahobby.com stocks Mecha Color's full line and they ship internationally, or If you want a mule, there's a hobby shop not too far from me that can order the paints by individual bottles. I won't ask for any $ as a middleman since my friend lives in the same town and I can go bother her after picking up the paints.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Awesome, I'll check it out. Appreciate the help.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Xy Hapu posted:

Tallgeese II looks pretty cheap next to the regular release Tallgeese, the 'white' plastic is pretty much the 90's translucent gray found in the original HG Tallgeese I/II/III and I generally look at P-Bandai as having worse quality than regular releases. That said it could also just be that the Zaku molds are just clapped out from infinite reuse or maybe you got sent a bootleg. My money is on clapped out molds (with a dash of cheesy P-Bandai plastic), whenever I get a chance to compare reused parts like the Kshatriya vs Kshatriya Repair there's usually more flash and things don't line up as nice.

I doubt I got a bootleg, I've gotten so many kits from these guys and the waterslide sheet is legit. My money is on 2nd tier plastic plus old molds.

E: actually, how would you even know if you got a bootleg?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Just realized the robot spirits Alex hasn't been shown with the fat suit. P Bandai FA + Kampfer.....

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Kind of pissed there isnt a Zeta Gundam HG Byarlant and only the Custom 01, 02, and Isolde available. I mean they're all great suits but I'd like an OG Byarlant...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished the Schuzrum Galluss from Unicorn (blue guy with spiky gauntlets) and probably gonna rip his arms off and slap them on another HG when my crate of 13 shows up from Gundam Planet

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone sell a complete set of mecha color or just individual colors? I like the sets because they come with the case

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

From what I hear bootlegs are pretty decent these days so I have no idea. Only time I actually got one (that I know of) was an HG Eva 01 long ago and it was catastrophically bad and obvious, it looked kind of ok on first glance but as soon as you put a bit of pressure on the plastic it would sort of crumble and break like it was a bar of soap.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I doubt I got a bootleg, I've gotten so many kits from these guys and the waterslide sheet is legit. My money is on 2nd tier plastic plus old molds.

As someone with a $14 bootleg MG Deathscythe:

The hard plastic parts will have a more toyish plastic flexibility (stronger than resin, but not as brittle and rigid as ABS), the polycaps will be much stiffer, and the clear plastic will usually be more cloudy from mold release (can be fixed by washing it, still works for identifying). White plastic will also have more of an eggshell white than pure white, and have some transparency due to the odd flexible plastic and how thin it is.

Mines painted, but if it helps at all for comparing detail quality here's a gallery:

Deathscythe Ver.Ka KO https://imgur.com/gallery/fiGzt

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, after posting those :words: about Sentinel earlier, I looked it up to see what 1/100 suits that originated in it I still needed to get someday, and I never realized that there was a giant copyright mess surrounding it.

quote:

The name Gundam is copyrighted and owned by Bandai, yet Gundam Sentinel was technically created by Model Graphix. Thus, Bandai must receive approval from Model Graphix every time the company wishes to release any mecha or character from the series, since Model Graphix holds the copyright to Sentinel. This is due to the fact that Sotsu Agency, the co-owner of the Gundam franchise, did not manage the copyright well enough, during the period of Sentinel's concept and creation. This gave Bandai a hard time, whenever they try to use Sentinel units in any official release. One example would the Gundam War Collectible Card Game, where the release of the 4th Edition and onwards prevented Sentinel units from appearing.

This has also created difficulty in creating garage kit models for fan modelers to be sold at hobby shows, since the one day copyright release must be obtained from both Bandai and Model Graphix, separately, making costs to acquire them to become expensive. Most of modelers would choose to build cheaper copyright Sentinel models in a Super-Deformed (SD) scale, instead, since Bandai charges less, in this case, for a copyright release.

:stare:

At the very least I hope we get a P Bandai FAZZ ver Ka with the new ZZ mold out there so I don't have to get the old MG.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MJP posted:

Maybe OT but how's the Cherno Alpha build going? I'm assuming it's the Plamax 1/350? I have big moon hits the eyes like a big pizza pie for that kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

Maybe OT but how's the Cherno Alpha build going? I'm assuming it's the Plamax 1/350? I have big moon hits the eyes like a big pizza pie for that kit.

I want a Strike Eureka kit out of that Plamac line so bad :sigh:.