Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

What's the goon recommended case for an S8+? Also any pro tips I might not think of when setting it up? I saw a guide on how to make it more like stock Android.

Anything UAG is good, or whatever you've used previously and like. Pretty much every case manufacturer does something for the S8.

You can use either nova launcher or Google's launcher which both look more stock. Google's is the only way to get swipe right to now a thing that isn't hacky.

That said touchwiz on the S8 is pretty inoffensive and does add a few nice touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've never had a single problem with Nova's Google feed implementation though I guess it is a hack and therefore hacky but it's certainly not bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spigen, Caseology, or Diztronic for all your case needs.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Pocketcasts just updated this morning, try again and see if your problem was fixed.
Was hopeful, but nope. Guess it's time to follow up with Pocket Casts or check with other OnePlus 3 owners.

Thanks anyway.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My OP3 just got Android 8 and now I have this stupid "apps running in the background" notification that I can't figure out how to disable. Any way to get rid of it? I don't need to see that I got Lastpass and Twilight installed at all times.
Also Twilight doesn't work on notification shade anymore which sucks hard.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've never understood the difference in behavior of that notification. I have and use LastPass, but never see it for that. I see it when chromecasting Netflix for a second when I leave the app, but it goes away quickly. Weird that it acts differently for different people.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

There was another initially annoying notification for "app is drawing over other apps" that I was able to disable app by app basis which was great since only apps I have that would draw over others constantly are Twilight and maybe Facebook messenger.
So the notification will still be useful for catching apps that I don't want to draw on others.

Edit: Cool, I checked out Twilight's changelog and they had added a way to hide the "apps running in the background" notification in recent update. It was only able to hide the thing altogether so good job Google for missing the point of such notification. It should be for poo poo I don't intend to run on the background at all times.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Need new phone advice

Google Project Fi user
Current 5" 32GB Pixel owner

Google has a $345 trade in offer for my phone right now. I see ~$310 for a phone in my condition presently

I'm really happy with the camera on this phone. That's about the only thing on it I use consistently. The screen is garbage class, I've never had any device, wrist watch or otherwise, get so hosed up so quickly. After sailing today my phone has a new, deep scratch that will surely turn in to a crack here in the next six weeks or so. Once the screen is cracked, the resale/trade in value drops by at least $130 as that's the cost for google's preferred company to replace it.

So, buy new Pixel 2, pray it doesn't have an acrylic screen like the Pixel 1, or switch carriers and get a rooted _____ with a good camera? Or just get a replacement screen for $130 and go another year.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sininu posted:

My OP3 just got Android 8 and now I have this stupid "apps running in the background" notification that I can't figure out how to disable.
Oh hey, do you have Pocket Casts and is it constantly freezing since the update to 8?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

odiv posted:

Oh hey, do you have Pocket Casts and is it constantly freezing since the update to 8?

Nope. I do not use that.
Sorry!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hadlock posted:

Need new phone advice

Google Project Fi user
Current 5" 32GB Pixel owner

Google has a $345 trade in offer for my phone right now. I see ~$310 for a phone in my condition presently

I'm really happy with the camera on this phone. That's about the only thing on it I use consistently. The screen is garbage class, I've never had any device, wrist watch or otherwise, get so hosed up so quickly. After sailing today my phone has a new, deep scratch that will surely turn in to a crack here in the next six weeks or so. Once the screen is cracked, the resale/trade in value drops by at least $130 as that's the cost for google's preferred company to replace it.

So, buy new Pixel 2, pray it doesn't have an acrylic screen like the Pixel 1, or switch carriers and get a rooted _____ with a good camera? Or just get a replacement screen for $130 and go another year.

Pixel 2's screen is the good kind of glass iirc

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have yet to ding my pixels screen and I've never put a protector on it, because I'm an idiot with bad ideas

Rules

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is it Gorilla 5?
Gorilla 5 scratches hella easily. Every phone that's used it has had people complaining.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I loving hate gorilla 5 and don't understand why they'd pick it over 3. My 5x never scuffed or scratch and I spent half the time without a screen protector.

My essential scuffed easily and my only options for a screen protector are from China with some pretty shoddy quality. Still, when I put it on now I can't see any of the scuffs anymore

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I loving hate gorilla 5 and don't understand why they'd pick it over 3. My 5x never scuffed or scratch and I spent half the time without a screen protector.

My essential scuffed easily and my only options for a screen protector are from China with some pretty shoddy quality. Still, when I put it on now I can't see any of the scuffs anymore

How does 4 compare to those?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sininu posted:

How does 4 compare to those?

I don't know but g5 is supposed to be even better at shatter proofing than g4 which makes me think that g4 would still be harder to scuffed than g5

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My phone (Moto G5+) stopped vibrating consistently. As in, my keyboard will vibrate when I tap it and then stop mid-sentence, and the vibration won't come back until I shake the phone. I Googled it and apparently this oddness was caused by a recent firmware update. It's a very strange problem.

I still don't really miss Windows Phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

Is it Gorilla 5?
Gorilla 5 scratches hella easily. Every phone that's used it has had people complaining.

Pixel 2 and 2 XL are gorilla glass 5

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for pointing out that I could install Google's trick camera to my phone, thread.

HDR+ working on my Z2 Force.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Alright been 3 weeks since switching to a pixel 2 (non-XL) from an iPhone 5. Overall it's been great, with the exception of losing my 3.5mm adapter already.

Within the last few days though charging has gotten super wonky. Plugging the phone in doesn't start charging as normal, after a minute I get a "USB supplying power to attached device" notification, and then have to manually switch to "Use USB to charge this device". About half the time this doesn't even work, or it begins charging and then stops a minute later with the same notification showing up again. I've restarted a few times figuring that would fix it but it hasn't helped.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is this a known issue?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E: reread your post, no that sounds kinda hosed, something stuck in the port, or maybe try a new cable?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 26, 2017

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Skarsnik posted:

If that's from a laptop or whatever then yes that's normal, if it's from a charger then welp

Yeah I should have specified, this is 100% charger, I haven't plugged into a desktop or laptop since I got it and this just started happening a few days ago.

the only time it just charges like normal is when its off.

e: nothing stuck in the port, tried googles charger, a Samsung, and this 3rd party cable, all with the same result, which made me think it's software somehow? time to contact Google I guess

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2017

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Sininu posted:

My OP3 just got Android 8 and now I have this stupid "apps running in the background" notification that I can't figure out how to disable. Any way to get rid of it? I don't need to see that I got Lastpass and Twilight installed at all times.
Also Twilight doesn't work on notification shade anymore which sucks hard.
While it won't be removed from the notification shade when you pull it down, you can remove the notification on the lock screen and the persistent top icon notification by following these steps:
  • Open Settings > Apps & notifications > See all xxx apps (App info)
  • Open settings (three dots); Select "Show system"
  • Select "Android System"
  • Select "App notifications"
  • Select "Apps consuming battery"
  • Select "Importance"; Select "Low"
(slightly modified from info found on XDA)

This at least works for me and NetGuard.

RZA Encryption posted:

I've never understood the difference in behavior of that notification. I have and use LastPass, but never see it for that. I see it when chromecasting Netflix for a second when I leave the app, but it goes away quickly. Weird that it acts differently for different people.
I believe Google white-listed some applications to not show that particular notification, but when a non-white-listed app is running, where the notification is active, you also see the white-listed ones.
Google Play Music is normally not showing up for me, but when NetGuard is active, both would show up as running in the background.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

Alright been 3 weeks since switching to a pixel 2 (non-XL) from an iPhone 5. Overall it's been great, with the exception of losing my 3.5mm adapter already.

Within the last few days though charging has gotten super wonky. Plugging the phone in doesn't start charging as normal, after a minute I get a "USB supplying power to attached device" notification, and then have to manually switch to "Use USB to charge this device". About half the time this doesn't even work, or it begins charging and then stops a minute later with the same notification showing up again. I've restarted a few times figuring that would fix it but it hasn't helped.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is this a known issue?

If this is the charger it came with, definitely contact Google. Sounds like something is fucky.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Can you somehow configure your feed to show news items in languages other than the system language? It would be nice to get local news in German and international news in English.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Welp black Friday deal pixel 2xl gets me it for basically purchase price over a 24 month contract. Then I factor in not paying for my current deal and I'm getting about £300 saving so it's goodbye 6p. I'm looking forward to having a new flagship when it's new as opposed to a year or more late.

Edit: this is on O2 from mobile.co.uk if any UK goons are interested or have horror stories to scare me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks for pointing out that I could install Google's trick camera to my phone, thread.

HDR+ working on my Z2 Force.

I haven't been able to notice any difference on my Z2 Force. Can you share how you configured the app? There are so many options...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrNemo posted:

Edit: this is on O2 from mobile.co.uk if any UK goons are interested or have horror stories to scare me.
It's owned by the same company as Curry's, PC World and Carphone Warehouse. So it's a legit company. Getting cashback and other perks out of them can be hassle from what I've heard but just buying a simple phone/plan through them should be totally fine.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Will the Verizon Store I bought my Pixel 2 from honor the warranty for a defective device, or do I have to go through Google? My screen poo poo the bed (completely off, not just burn-in) and I'd like to be able to just walk in and get a new one if possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rastor posted:

I haven't been able to notice any difference on my Z2 Force. Can you share how you configured the app? There are so many options...

Up at the top is the HDR+ button. Hit that and enable it or leave it Auto.

Otherwise it's pretty stock settings.

Comparisons

Z2 Force app:

"Google" app:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really like how the new Pixel launcher changes UI elements to a dark theme based on the wallpaper

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Complete that look with the Dark Pixel icon pack, I really like that one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

Complete that look with the Dark Pixel icon pack, I really like that one.

Can't use icon packs with the Pixel Launcher afaik, and using Nova would remove the darkened UI elements :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really like how the new Pixel launcher changes UI elements to a dark theme based on the wallpaper

Is it possible to get this without the pixel launcher? I can't stand the white notification shade

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

Is it possible to get this without the pixel launcher? I can't stand the white notification shade

To my knowledge no, it's a Pixel launcher on the Pixel 2 exclusive feature. I could easily be wrong and have not researched it. Who knows what's possible via XDA methods too.

e: It's hard to see in the shots I put above, but the folders look really nice on the home screen too

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

To my knowledge no, it's a Pixel launcher on the Pixel 2 exclusive feature. I could easily be wrong and have not researched it. Who knows what's possible via XDA methods too.

e: It's hard to see in the shots I put above, but the folders look really nice on the home screen too

I respectfully request that you move Slack from Apps to Social.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

I respectfully request that you move Slack from Apps to Social.

I'm a non-conformist tyvm

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I see the Google apps / specific function folder conflict writ large in your folder previews.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's an 8.1 feature that works on my 6P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

It's an 8.1 feature that works on my 6P.

gently caress me, okay. I'm only on 8.0 though on my 2XL though.