Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alt Gr is the superior Alt button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

On the topic of Mondegreens, I only just found out that the Chorus Lyric in the Billy Squire song "The Stroke" isn't "Something's Cookin" but rather "Stroke Me, Stroke Me".

I now understand people who say their minds are blown by a misconception. I never even knew the name of the song until very recently, so I never had any idea it could or should be anything else.

Wait until you discover his name is actually Billy Squier.

Source: am old.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Where're all your Ä, Å, and Ö keys, not to mention the ½ key? :confused:

I like having a Compose key for that very reason, even if I don't need it so much as a dumb monolingual American (I'm trying to get better at español, okay? :shobon: )

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Why do they bother with the second set of characters on the letter keys if they're all the same characters. (And if you try to tell me it's the french version of those letters I'll punch you in the mouth)

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Why do they bother with the second set of characters on the letter keys if they're all the same characters. (And if you try to tell me it's the french version of those letters I'll punch you in the mouth)

it's the quebecois version of those letters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Choco1980 posted:

Consistency

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Choco1980 posted:

The first one tells you what letter you get when you press it. And then the second one is for if you take all the keys off the keyboard you know where it is supposed to go when putting it back together. Ingenious really.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I like having a Compose key for that very reason, even if I don't need it so much as a dumb monolingual American (I'm trying to get better at español, okay? :shobon: )

A What key :psyduck:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The Compose key is something in GNU/Linux in which, when holding down a certain key (I usually set it to right Ctrl or Menu), you can type a character using a key combination. All of those moon letters, like å, ö, ø, ç, ñ, and so on are pretty easy to throw together (o+a, "+o, /+o, ,+c, and ~+n, respectively). Still need to know unicode inputs for things like Greek or Cyrillic characters, and there's still no n-with-umlaut for properly typing Spinal Tap :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of the only things I like about touch screens is the ease of switching alphabets or typing characters from different languages. Êœладужж

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of the only things I like about touch screens is the ease of switching alphabets or typing characters from different languages. Êœладужж

就是。Windows needs an easier way to switch keyboard layouts, cycling through that stupid menu gets tedious when you have more than 3.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Bertrand Hustle posted:

就是。Windows needs an easier way to switch keyboard layouts, cycling through that stupid menu gets tedious when you have more than 3.

Are the Ctrl+Shift+(n) kybard shortcuts not useful? They seem pretty convenient...

As for lyrics, when this song was getting overplayed on the local station, I always heard "gently caress it off then gently caress a dolphin"

And I only noticed the tooltips on the smilie page the other day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Someone in another thread was talking about a YouTube show called Simon's Cat and I was sure that was the name of a show that I used to watch on TV as a child, but all I could find on Google was stuff about the YouTube show until I finally remembered that the old show was called Henry's Cat and is a completely different thing. Which is nice because it means I don't have some bizarre false memory.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Owls have long necks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense considering they can turn their heads like they do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

I hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense considering they can turn their heads like they do.

I blame my schooling. Not enough skeletons. (Seriouspost obviously.)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Most birds have longer necks than you would assume from looking at them, they are just held in an curved position and the feathers cover up the curvature. Here's a parrot:

Here are some pidgeons:

Not all birds have very curved necks, but in general, a bird probably has a longer neck than you'd think by looking at it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Bones posted:

in general, a bird probably has a longer neck than you'd think by looking at it.

Legs too!

Edit: owls are simultaneously much smaller and longer but also bigger and wider than you realise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSGHNfxxDjw&t=33s

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Nov 22, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ooooh!

The cities in Kanto are named after colors, like Veridian, Fuchsia, Lavender, etc. Ash comes from Pallet Town. Like "color palette".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Blue Moon is pretty good. Not sure if it's the Crystal Head Vodka Effect (in that I've already had enough drink that everything tastes good, only to discover that it's actually terrible), but hey, new thing to drink when/if a place doesn't have Bud Light.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MisterBibs posted:

Blue Moon is pretty good. Not sure if it's the Crystal Head Vodka Effect (in that I've already had enough drink that everything tastes good, only to discover that it's actually terrible), but hey, new thing to drink when/if a place doesn't have Bud Light.

As far as wheat beers go, it's pretty inoffensive.
The best version of it I had was at a bar that put muddled blood orange into the bottom of the pitcher before the beer was poured in.
It was drat near perfect.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You Only Live Twice, the film, was written by Roald loving Dahl.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

The 1st draft was titled James and the Embarrassing Orientalism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*puts on t-shirt with "JAPANESE CHARACTERS" written on it* How do you do fellow Asians?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

*puts on t-shirt with "JAPANESE CHARACTERS" written on it* How do you do ferrow Asians?

Fixed it so it matches Bond a bit better.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jerry Cotton posted:

*puts on t-shirt with "JAPANESE CHARACTERS" written on it* How do you do fellow Asians?

Banzai, James Banzai.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I don’t know how I didn’t pick up on this earlier, but “to pass/succeed with flying colors” is a reference to naval custom, where a defeated ship would lower its colors (national flag) and only a victorious ship would return to harbor with its colors flying.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
drat it, today’s a twofer day.

Today I finally connected the dots and realized that IBM’s Watson supercomputer is not a Sherlock Holmes reference, but a nod to Thomas J. Watson, first president and namer of International Business Machines.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's another film written by Roald Dahl based on an Ian Fleming book

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

That movie was verging on John Waters.

And it was marketed towards children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhsNvoXfFq4

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Get this, Roald Dahl didn't like children much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Yeah but I haven't seen that.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Get this, Roald Dahl didn't like children much.

When I was a kid Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the book) kind of scared me because I didn't understand the concept of black humor at that age, and here was Willy Wonka talking nonchalantly about how a kid was going to be burned up in the furnace and whatnot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

When I was a kid Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the book) kind of scared me because I didn't understand the concept of black humor at that age, and here was Willy Wonka talking nonchalantly about how a kid was going to be burned up in the furnace and whatnot.

There's a "joke" in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory about Veruca Salt and her relationship with her father that goes over most people's heads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

There's a "joke" in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory about Veruca Salt and her relationship with her father that goes over most people's heads.

And what is it?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The holy people in Westeros are called Septons and their churches are Septs because there are seven gods.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Legs too!

Edit: owls are simultaneously much smaller and longer but also bigger and wider than you realise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSGHNfxxDjw&t=33s

Also owls are among the dumbest birds.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

syscall girl posted:

Why is there a joke in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory about a 90s chick grunge band??

guess what I just figured out haha

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Red Ryder posted:

Why is there a joke in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory about a 90s chick grunge band??

guess what I just figured out haha

You must be seething.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the Wonka joke?