Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if there are any diehard FFX fans that can speak fluent Al Bhed

Isn't that a thing with Star Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FFX must have the most obscure/missable/hard to get if you don't do it at exactly the right time poo poo in any FF game, especially with the later addition of the Dark Aeons loving things up further.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if there are any diehard FFX fans that can speak fluent Al Bhed

Isn't that a thing with Star Trek

Al Bhed isn't a language they literally just transposed two different letters of the alphabet to make it garbled, other than that it's just English. I dunno how it worked in Japanese.
Klingon has like whole books dedicated to a made up language.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
all languages are made up when u think about it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

precision posted:

wooooah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
remember Esperanto? lmao

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The real OGs speak Tolkein Elvish.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

La Li Lu Le Lo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

JRPGs can be cool but I think they have some of the worst gameplay of all games

:cool:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alien Isolation. Not a game I should play after dark. I haven't even seen the alien yet but this is a scary game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hopper posted:

Alien Isolation. Not a game I should play after dark. I haven't even seen the alien yet but this is a scary game.

I bounced off that game. 'Oh neat another audio computer log, cool what's it say? ....what's that hissing? oh dead again.'

f***ing terrifying though

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 26, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

remember Esperanto? lmao

I did a school project on Esperanto and at one point it involved hanging around a club of old Esperanto fans as they hung out at a bookstore, it was fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The aesthetic and presentation of Battle Chef Brigade is really good and the writing seems charming, which makes me sad that I'm real bad at puzzle games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

jrpgs have the potential to have bad gameplay if a dev sucks at making an engaging combat system, which unfortunately is a lot of jrpgs until the ps2 era

a lot of the tales games double as crazy fun action games, some even kind of hinge on it. i'm excited that ps3 emulation almost has tales of graces f working alright because it's one of the most fun action rpgs i've ever played and my ps3's disc reader broke

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 26, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chumbler posted:

The aesthetic and presentation of Battle Chef Brigade is really good and the writing seems charming, which makes me sad that I'm real bad at puzzle games.

:same:. I want the story and art but I don't want to put up with a match3 for it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm admittedly not that far (like the 4th chapter) but the match 3 stuff has seemed pretty easy so far

I got it for the Switch and played it during the holiday. I really like it but for a puzzle game it feels oddly not as portable friendly as I hoped (some if the controls feel awkward and the icons can be way too small) but it still seems to be pretty much what I wanted.

Though seriously, why would you buy this game if you don't like match 3 puzzle games?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

Agreed. My biggest issue with jrpgs are they almost always have fun systems but they are obfuscated by mountains of needless garbage. Tales of Berseria was my favorite jrpg of recent years but even that had obnoxious elements when it came to weapon stats.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ciaphas posted:

:same:. I want the story and art but I don't want to put up with a match3 for it

If it were any other mechanic besides match 3 I would be way more excited for it. Like if it were some Cook Serve Delicious style thing it would look like something that could make a run at the top ten. Or Puyo Puyo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

how can languages be real if our ears arent real

Pigbuster posted:

I did a school project on Esperanto and at one point it involved hanging around a club of old Esperanto fans as they hung out at a bookstore, it was fun.

i did a bachelor's thesis on jamaican creole phonemes and at one point it involved hanging around the jamaican exchange students, who taught me that the best weed in the world comes from west africa

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chumbler posted:

I'm not all that hot at puzzle games either and I still beat it, though I had to redo matches a couple of times towards endgame. I would never play on Hard though. The bonus books are essential, the vegetarian one carried me through the last half of the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

...and they issued me a partial refund of less than half instead...in chat with them now to see what the deal is.

Leave another box outside your door and booby trap it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

PantsBandit posted:

Agreed. My biggest issue with jrpgs are they almost always have fun systems but they are obfuscated by mountains of needless garbage. Tales of Berseria was my favorite jrpg of recent years but even that had obnoxious elements when it came to weapon stats.

give graces f a look, it has some odd fusion stuff but it doesn't go so insane with weapon stats and bonuses. i think part of why that's in berseria is because it's coming in very hot off of zestiria, which went loving insane with how gear worked (somebody decided you should have to fine-tune your equipment for every dungeon??? in a game where you can't even set up equipment loadouts???) and is one of like dozens of awful mechanics berseria had to tone down in its year of development. it's seriously a miracle how good berseria turned out when it an insanely tight schedule and literally everything about the previous game bringing it down

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 26, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

jrpgs have the potential to have bad gameplay if a dev sucks at making an engaging combat system, which unfortunately is a lot of jrpgs until the ps2 era

a lot of the tales games double as crazy fun action games, some even kind of hinge on it. i'm excited that ps3 emulation almost has tales of graces f working alright because it's one of the most fun action rpgs i've ever played and my ps3's disc reader broke

According to this guy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841665 you can get your PS3 to load anything now with just softmods so, give it a look

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I made the mistake of buying Stardew valley again for switch and now I'm going to play this game for 70 hours again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

According to this guy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841665 you can get your PS3 to load anything now with just softmods so, give it a look

well tbh there's an added level of just wanting to play games on my pc but this is rad if i ever wanna play the ps3 version of tales of vesperia english patched

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Played P5 for the first time in a week last night and forgot to save often. Got through 90% of a puzzle room in a palace (which took over an hour) only to get owned in the final sub-area and have to do it all again :sweatdrop:

Was it the Okumura passkey nonsense? Because I totally went back to the save room every time even if it meant enemies respawned.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

In Training posted:

I made the mistake of buying Stardew valley again for switch and now I'm going to play this game for 70 hours again

how is this a mistake? this is an excellent choice.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’ve spent more time playing Stardew Valley on Switch than either Zelda or Mario.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

how is this a mistake? this is an excellent choice.

I didn't even know it was possible to have a cat instead of a dog in this game

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

In Training posted:

I didn't even know it was possible to have a cat instead of a dog in this game

see, you've already taken the second step on the correct path.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

Was it the Okumura passkey nonsense? Because I totally went back to the save room every time even if it meant enemies respawned.

It was the vault. But since every time I progressed I had a straight line back to the safe room it's my own fault!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it took sixteen years but i've finally played and understood enough about ffx to say blitzball blows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's terrible lol. Just score one goal and idle behind your own net

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Blitzball is so amazingly stupid. They managed to make up a fantasy sports game that was totally impractical in their own setting yet somehow adored by the entire goddamn world.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

some genius game design right now in TEW2. Started at point A, had to go all the way to the other side of the map to point B, only for NPC to say "lol heres a password now go all the way back to point A" are you loving serious? Then the next objective throws some kind of Dead Space "lockdown imminent" scenario at me but this game really is not equipped for fast weapon switches at all and I'm specced out for stealth only. poo poo is annoying as gently caress.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DLC Inc posted:

some genius game design right now in TEW2. Started at point A, had to go all the way to the other side of the map to point B, only for NPC to say "lol heres a password now go all the way back to point A" are you loving serious? Then the next objective throws some kind of Dead Space "lockdown imminent" scenario at me but this game really is not equipped for fast weapon switches at all and I'm specced out for stealth only. poo poo is annoying as gently caress.

You can put four weapons on the D-Pad for quick select. I have no excuses for the back and forth though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

blitzball ... is good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I really don't understand why people keep going stealth only, the nurse will constantly tell you to put points into combat skills when you go into the level-up menu.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wamdoodle posted:

:wtf: I played that game but never got far enough to see that.

Thanks for dropping this here. I'll never get tired of this theme. I've always been partial to this OCRemix version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9dae8UhZA

Are we posting covers/remixes of this very good Chrono Trigger song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6On_VpoU4Tw

edit:

Ya know what this is sick too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRoIy_9cU8

Also this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdYAeAMKgxI

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

I really don't understand why people keep going stealth only, the nurse will constantly tell you to put points into combat skills when you go into the level-up menu.
It's easier to kill most enemies with stealth (And certainly takes far less ammo), and there are relatively few forced combat sections in TEW2.

• Locked thread