Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm the worst bike owner, at least it was the rear pads. I knew I needed to change them, but I moved months ago and couldn't find the ones I had already purchased. There's a nice groove in my rotor now too, I'm sure that means I should replace it, but it's the rear brake so...

Bah, you still could have gotten another 1000 miles out of those, easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

An amazing thing I've noticed working on bikes is that the condition of the pads has almost no effect at all on the noise they make. I've seen brand new ones squeal like nails on a chalkboard and metal on metal pads worn down to nothing sound perfectly normal.

Literbike with two huge discs, radial brembos super agressive pads made of tungsten and shark teeth and diamonds: whisper quiet.

Vespa with a tiny disc and pads made of pencil eraser: the endless forever-squeal that can't be fixed and is just One Of Those Things.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have no excuse at all on this one, I knew I needed new pads ASAP in July, but moving houses + vacation + life got in the way and I didn't think it would be that bad. It actually was quiet until around 2 weeks ago, then it started screeching. The sound only affected my braking because I knew it had to be so far gone, it wasn't like it sounded like it looked.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Vespa with a tiny disc and pads made of pencil eraser: the endless forever-squeal that can't be fixed and is just One Of Those Things.
You just need to oil the pads, duh.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Collateral Damage posted:

You just need to oil the pads, duh.

You oil things that pivot.

What brakes need is GREASE.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grease is just oil + soap so I think a slosh of 10W40 and a squirt of Dawn oughta do it

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm the worst bike owner, at least it was the rear pads. I knew I needed to change them, but I moved months ago and couldn't find the ones I had already purchased. There's a nice groove in my rotor now too, I'm sure that means I should replace it, but it's the rear brake so...

Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone.

https://imgur.com/a/Ebomv

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is that last pic rubber brake line?:supaburn:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brakes work so good they just burst into flames

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MomJeans420 posted:

Is that last pic rubber brake line?:supaburn:

Nah it was a breather tube I found sitting on the exhaust.

"oh that's what that smell was"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The new Waze update has a motorcycle mode that will give you more accurate predictions for your ETA if you're based on a bike, and presumably have you take different routes if they're faster (splitting lanes on the freeway vs taking 4 million turns on side streets to avoid the traffic). It's kind of buried in the settings though (Settings -> Navigation -> Vehicle Type), so if you frequently change between a bike and a car it may be a pain.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
As more rain moves in, people see my motorcycle at work and can't understand how I'm able to ride in the rain.
"Whose bike is that out there??"
"Mine. I commute on it. Don't have a second car or the option to carpool."
"But it's raining it'll get all wet!"

Why do people, even a shitload of riders, think bikes will melt in any amount of moisture?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because a shitload of riders are weekend warriors who only venture out for an hour at a time when the temperature and humidity are within an incredibly narrow window of acceptability.

People who ride in inclement weather are actually extremely rare, in the US at least. Bikes are a toy here, not a primary mode of transportation.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hell, it was 55 and sunny when I was out on Saturday and I saw maybe 3 other bikes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That's true in Norway too. Even in lovely rain-holes, half of the used bike ads say "never been ridden or parked in the rain".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Explaining what my Sena unit is to someone at work: "is it safe to be listening to the radio while you ride?"

I don't know, is it safe in a car? I get the same reaction sometimes when I tell people I use earplugs, they don't seem to understand how much more noise closing their doors and windows shuts out while driving.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Renaissance Robot posted:

Explaining what my Sena unit is to someone at work: "is it safe to be listening to the radio while you ride?"

I don't know, is it safe in a car? I get the same reaction sometimes when I tell people I use earplugs, they don't seem to understand how much more noise closing their doors and windows shuts out while driving.

I'm always surprised about the earplug thing. I think people both underestimate how loud cars are at speed and overestimate how important hearing is for safe riding.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
On the sameish note it's amazing how quiet some helmets are, my qwest dampens so much sound I didn't even really realize someone's car alarm was going off until I took my helmet off.

Also the only weather I refuse to ride in is frost after snapping my collar bone due to black ice last year. Couldn't give a gently caress if there was a monsoon, but gently caress ice.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Here's a little event from today's Silicon Valley commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxEAdiKZrZM&t=212s

The van dude called me a "loving idiot" - I guess he assumed I would attempt to cut him off or something. He blares his horn at me as I get on the on ramp. And, no, astute viewers, I didn't split on the shoulder at any point other than to bypass him to the on ramp - didn't want to get stuck next to some aggressive douche.

That said, I should learn to follow CSB's advice and give this kind of gently caress a friendly wave.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I tend to give every lovely person on the road a big thumbs-up. If I can take my hands off the bars, one of these

but yeah who knows. Some people are just dumbshits. I got yelled at once by two guys in a lifted pickup truck as I was splitting past miles of stopped traffic on the way to Half Moon Bay. One of them leaned out the window and bellowed "THAT'S ILLEGAL!!" and shook his fist as I rode by. Sorry dude, nope! Totally legal in California and even the cops do it! Have a nice day!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I like it, sagebrush - stylish!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sagebrush posted:

even the cops do it!

That's what I say when I drive through red lights because I get impatient.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah, turns out it's not an admissible defense for shooting black people

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I find it odd that I drive through Glendale, the city with some of the worst drivers in the US, yet I really haven't had anyone try to stop me splitting in horrible commuter traffic, and I've been surprised how many people make a good effort to get out of the way. And I sometimes do things like go on the shoulder for the first bit of the freeway to get around all the people merging.

I don't get what went wrong with Pokie there, if anything my main complaint was he needs to split more/faster.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah, you're going way too slow. there is definitely a minimum acceptable splitting speed and below that you should just be in a lane. unless traffic is at standstill and then you can split as slow as you want. also not sure what you were trying to do there by stopping behind the minivan and then attempting to merge like that. i agree with the cargo van driver in this case, sorry

in general i just split the two far left lanes and get over at the last few hundred feet for my exit. splitting the right lanes is going to cause problems if you do it for very long

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 1, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I split much faster on the highway - other motorcyclists actually yield to me sometimes - but this stretch of ~3 lights is a mess. I have only been commuting there for 3 days too. Either way, I am saving at least 2-3 minutes by splitting slowly in that section vs not at all.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well you’ll figure it out soon and be a pro, new commute routes are always a little hairy for a bit

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I agree that some roads are harder to split, I have a crowded freeway offramp that I'd love to split, but somehow (lane width?) all the cars end up jammed close together and I can almost never make it more than 4 cars before getting stuck again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I find that 40mph is the limit for me. If traffic's gridlocked and moving slower than that, I'll split between cars; once it gets to 35 or 40 I'll slide back into a lane. I never go more than about 15 mph above the speed of traffic, either. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't feel reckless.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The local police department issued a press release about a dead motorcyclist:

quote:

Glendale, CA – On November 30, 2017, at 3:59 pm, the Glendale Police Department responded to Paloma Ave. and Verdugo Blvd. regarding a collision involving a motorcyclist.

Investigation revealed the rider, identified as 48 year old Simeon Hidalgo of Sylmar, accelerated eastbound on Paloma from a stopped position, lost control of his motorcycle and struck a parked vehicle against the south curb.

The Glendale Fire Department transported Mr. Hidalgo to Huntington Memorial Hospital, but he died a short time later. Mr. Hidalgo was wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.

As I was reading it I was thinking I recognized the street name from getting a new battery at the local Ducati/MV Augusta/Aprilia dealer, and yep, turns out that's right in front of them. Guessing someone tried to upgrade to too much bike and spazzed, and I don't want to be a dick, but how do you go from stopped to hitting a parked car hard enough to die? Also, the actual street he was on is narrow and not very long, so it's pretty impressive.

*edit*
I mean, look at this street

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 2, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

I find that 40mph is the limit for me. If traffic's gridlocked and moving slower than that, I'll split between cars; once it gets to 35 or 40 I'll slide back into a lane. I never go more than about 15 mph above the speed of traffic, either. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't feel reckless.

Because it's actually illegal here, I'll only split in 1st gear. If traffic is moving, I'm moving. If traffic is stopped, I'm going a bit above idle in 1st, 10-15mph.

But I'm not overheating a bike again, nor killing a battery on something with a garbage charging system, or vapor-locking a crappy carb, or any of the other reasons I've been stranded because I stayed in traffic.

Really, I should just buy a modern motorcycle with EFI and a reliable cooling system.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Around a month ago I left my key in the on position for 5 days and completely killed the battery, then bought a new one (and it was only something like 4 months old when I killed it). Was running late getting home this Saturday and in a hurry, so of course I left my key in on, which I discovered last night. My harbor freight multimeter says 0.0v, which makes me wonder if the multimeter is broken, but I guess I could see the lights just draining every possible bit of juice out of the battery.

I briefly thought of loving with the wiring so my lights turn off when I turn off the kill switch, but I hate to be *that* PO, and I don't think there's a clean way to do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why not just turn the bike off? Like what is the actual problem besides user error here.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
goon willing to put more effort in tinkering with something than trying to change behaviors for personal growth

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If only the bike gave you some sort of visual indicator that the key was still in the ignition and switched on.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Just like cancelling turn signals 20 times, I can't help put check that I have the key every 10 seconds after I get off the bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Having a brightly-colored embroidered keychain (like the Blipshift one)

https://www.blipshift.com/products/bs-keychains

helps me quite a bit. Lots of people like the "Remove Before Flight" tag, but I currently prefer the black and yellow "Pull to Eject" version. Highly visible when you're getting off the bike, plus you can feel it through your pocket for the 20 times that you're reassuring yourself that you did indeed take the key out of the ignition.

Dutymode posted:

Just like cancelling turn signals 20 times, I can't help put check that I have the key every 10 seconds after I get off the bike.

Stupid Ducati. One of those stupid Ducatis changes the engine mode with the turn-signal cancel switch, provided that the turn signals aren't on. Who among us can say that they don't cancel their signals 20 times after each turn?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah it's completely stupid, I need to get in the habit of just turning the key off rather than hitting the kill switch, but it's still annoying as poo poo to have it happen twice. My garage is well lit so I didn't realize the lights were still on, but really it was just I was in a hurry and rushed, then didn't go back in the garage for two days.

Strangely I'm a compulsive "make sure I cancelled my turn signal" guy, yet routinely leave my key in my bike. Not like I ever leave my car key in my car, but I'm bike key retarded apparently.

captainOrbital posted:

Stupid Ducati. One of those stupid Ducatis changes the engine mode with the turn-signal cancel switch, provided that the turn signals aren't on. Who among us can say that they don't cancel their signals 20 times after each turn?

Your brighter key chain idea is good, but WTF re: Ducati?! Your press the button while they're on and they turn off, you press it while they're off adn you change engine modes? There wasn't a better way to do that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use the kill switch too, but I also never leave the bike without making sure the steering lock is engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You need brighter headlights if you're leaving the key in the ignition.

Me: "why does my front door look like it's being zeroed in by a flak gun? Oh, right, the keys"