Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the cops come and take your computer if you don’t stack Grimgor’s yellow line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

sassassin posted:

Do people invest much in combat skills on their lords? I almost never do since army buffs are so effective, but I'm doing up a skill tree for a character now and I'm wondering how much effort I should put into a melee line.

Unless they are foot lords, I pump their yellow line when I can spare it. The exception being Darves, Grimgor, and Skarsnik. Kroq'gar on Grymlog with his yellow line maxed is a nearly unkillable murder machine. I've broken entire armies with him before my Blessed Swole Saurus line could catch up.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

hi i wanna play with other people but i'm loving terrible at these games

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZenVulgarity posted:

You're in luck, some of the people on MP are sure to be much worse

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Once again it turns out doing what I was trying to do isn't as easy as I assumed and the "working" mod I was using as a reference is a (pretty clever) hack job. I really should play these things before copying them table for table, line for line.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ZenVulgarity posted:

Most people playing MP are not great.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ZenVulgarity posted:

Have you watched the Party Elite videos on how to play?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

KPC_Mammon posted:

Have you watched the Party Elite videos on how to play?

What are those

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

What are those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

It's a pretty great set of videos to help newer players, or players that aren't great, get better.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Winds of death is a pretty good spell guys, 2 casts into a full army of enemy graveguards then everything disintegrated, 7 casualties on my end.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I kind of wish I could play the TW1 campaign map in TW2.

The end of turn in ME is just so loving long.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have a link handy to that loving hilarious Chaos/Sigwald the Magnificent let's play from back in the day? It was a brit, he was making all the voices and gently caress, it was funny.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Does anyone have a link handy to that loving hilarious Chaos/Sigwald the Magnificent let's play from back in the day? It was a brit, he was making all the voices and gently caress, it was funny.

I think that might have been The Perfect Crime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwW8OKakKlA&index=1&list=PLeunFtMS5KNKX7uvFS_waQ6r1rxXeVQzk

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Hell yes, thank you.

edit: oh my god its so much funnier than i remember

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 25, 2017

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I'm playing 1 as Brettonia, and I'm stumped. I'm at war with Mousillon, and they have three doomstacks hanging out near the capital. How the hell do I even have a hope of beating them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

IAmThatIs posted:

So I'm playing 1 as Brettonia, and I'm stumped. I'm at war with Mousillon, and they have three doomstacks hanging out near the capital. How the hell do I even have a hope of beating them.

Lightning Strike is a requirement for all Lords.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Vampire stacks also tend to not be very good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Von Carsteins (both of them) have gone on a massive rampage in my new Dwarf game. My main force holding them down at Karak Kadrin has gotten so many victories that goddamn Grimgor ended up liking me since he's also warring with them.

This led me to discover his "friendly" lines when negotiating with Dwarfs: while the usual angry lines are "I'M GONNA STOMP YOU FLAT WAAAAAGH", him being friendly is "HAHA LOOK AT DA LIL STUNTY LOL".

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

IAmThatIs posted:

You want to split them up any way you can.

Mousillon can be a surprisingly tough opponent for Brettonia early game though, even just because they will always have a billion skeleton spears and good luck killing them all with your Knights and cowardly peasant infantry before everyone just gives up and mass routes.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

IAmThatIs posted:

This is what's known as a winnable battle for Bretonnia, although it'll definitely be classed as a pyrrhic victory. Toss the Green Knight into the mix and do work with your lord, heroes, trebuchets, and spells (wind blast is great against clumps of undead even in TWW1 - it's even better in TWW2). You'll probably get to the point of even throwing your peasant archers into the fray in hand-to-hand combat, but it's very doable, actually, as long as those stacks are just zombies and skeleton warriors.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Xae posted:

Alternatively just get good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A good downhill knight charge will make most vampire chaff disappear quite quickly, spearmen are their only low tier anti-large, so you just need to find a way to get enough knights, experience and heroes to gang up on their vampire lords and you'll be good.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

sassassin posted:

Alternatively just get good.

it's a weird way to spell "bring a second army" but the judges will give it to you

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mousillon is kinda fun to fight as bretts because they love to build massive chaff stacks you can roll through. Just rohirrim that poo poo. Death and glory. For best results have a mostly peasant stack reinforced by a knight stack.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Xae posted:

Good call, I forgot that was a thing lol

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I've beaten the game with Chaos and the Beastmen, and now after I picked up the Norsca DLC I realize I have no idea how to do stuff with empire management/mitigating public order issues. How much harder does the game get when you have to manage more than just a few deathstacks?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Angrymantium posted:

I've beaten the game with Chaos and the Beastmen, and now after I picked up the Norsca DLC I realize I have no idea how to do stuff with empire management/mitigating public order issues. How much harder does the game get when you have to manage more than just a few deathstacks?

Not much, you just need to limit expansion to what you can afford or manage. My very hard games go to poo poo frequently because I over extend after winning a few clutch battles and don't think about the ten revenge stacks that are going to come and eat the new towns I've sunk 10k into upgrading.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Has anyone tried the ultimate chaos mod? I'm debating between that and SFO for my next run though in ME.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I'm getting smacked around by the vortex campaign no matter who I play as. If I stay small and cover my ritual sites, the others outpace me. If I make a move for the leader, I lose ritual sites. Is there an accepted overarching strategy, or a good video series to learn from?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I started a new ME Kroq campaign. Things are going swimmingly, the hell war in Araby is all wrapped up, and I'm ready to pounce on some Chaos bitches. Then I make the mistake of downloading the foundation 2.0 beta and it breaks my save.

Ah god damnit CA, I don't know how to quit ya :suicide:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I decided to try and give Steel Faith Overhaul a good shot and I'm nearing the end of full Empire ME campaign with it.

Pros:
-The early game is really tense. You need to really struggle between your economy and building up a force strong enough to move and it takes a long time before you can roll over enemies instead of carefully advancing.

-The pace of battle isn't that much worse than the default Warhammer game and the slow down gives you some new opportunities if you like micro managing battles.

-Lots of Winds of Magic boosters so you'll be able to throw out a lot more spells which is fun in general.

-I like that buildings are more nuanced now, although there is still a problem that you'll occasionally not having anything worthwhile to build in minor settlements and I'm not a fan of all the negatives being a small % income lost or public order penalty.

Cons:
-SFO doesn't have a solution for Beard Tide. Great if you're a Dwarf friend though. Also no solution for Tyrion quickly confederating the entire island and turning it into a raiding fortress.

-Like some walled city battles? Have more than you could ever possibly want. The AI can still be trapped outside a city but I'm pretty sure even it knows how god awful powerful an army sitting in city is, even a minor settlement. You can still game the system by coming with just enough strength that the AI will think it can beat you off by sallying forth, but it's still a slog.

-As time goes on, expect to need an army and a half or a strong/high level army to take down a minor settlement with a defense building, even if it doesn't have walls yet. Two armies for a major settlement. Three if it's defended by a at least half a stack.

-It's really rare to be in a situation where a stronger army is cheaper and better than just adding another army of T1 units, at least for Empire. My first 100 turns were with armies of nothing but a couple Pikemen, 6 Crossbows or Huntsmen, and the rest Sword guys. The only time that didn't work is when I got hit by Skarsnik rolling a full army of high level and high tier goblins. Around turn 100 my economy was so strong I could take the 7 armies I was fielding and swap out most of everything for high tier units in all of them but I never felt it was needed and now I'm considering rolling back because some units (like Greatswords) are super squishy when auto resolving.

-There has got to be some sort of script or other setup that fucks over AI that are friendly to the player. Or maybe it's empire specific if the AI plays Empire. I went for the peaceful inter-empire game and not a single one of the elector counts was able to hold back an enemy until I intervened. I don't expect them to win all the time but it should happen at least occasionally. I literally watched comparable army stacks duke it out and never once I did I see the Elector AI win whenever I had someone nearby to see it or a military alliance to reveal the fog. The only saving grace I ever had was Kislev seemed partially able to stop Varg, and once Bretonnia crossed to fight Skaeling and I confederated a half dead Nordland, Middenland was able to take a few Norsca settlements and hold them.

-I tried two other starts before Empire and both are probably hosed. One was Fey Enchantress and the other Khazzrak. The problem with the beastmen is you start out at a negative income and with the increased garrisons the tenseful early game becomes a razor edge of insanity. For the Enchantress the Bretonnian factions get hit with a huge public order penalty for the first 20 turns that they can remove by taking down an orc settlement. For the Enchantress and Bordeaux there are no Orcs nearby. Bordeaux is super screwed, and Fey has to walk past Orion to get to one, hopefully before Angrund takes them down. Maybe you can wait it out but gently caress anyone who thinks waiting out 20 turns of the ME Campaign doing nothing except fighting a few rebellions is worth it.

-If Magic is different or overhauled, it isn't noticeable. I'm sure there are spell changes behind the scene changes and part of the problem may just be because the magic system has always seemed vague and difficult to assess the worth of a spell, sans a few specific cases, but as to their impact? Meh. Except for the Winds of Magic issue.

-Tons of changes that just become pointless. Like they revamped the edicts, but you're still stuck needing the public order edict 99% of the time. And that remaining 1%, you've passed the point where the gains from a edict are meaningful.

-Feels like there is no mid-game like there is meant to be. The initial economy is so stunted and the higher tier buildings cost so much that it's a long term effort to build one and it will take you a while to do that. But if you're not able to work around that one single province to occasionally stop and recruit then oh well, you're not going to see those units. Now if it wasn't for Tyrion and the Dwarf faction rapidly spiraling out of control, then you may be able to play a slower game where you can take a break and slowly try out new tiers of units. Also I only played on Hard so maybe Very Hard will force you to play a longer game, but even then you're probably spending money to stay alive and not recruit some new unit. And then you reach a point where you're big enough that no one can push you around and your economy is so strong you can just skip past all the mid-range units or fielding only a couple elites here or there to full size armies.

Long story short, just didn't feel the good was worth the bad to justify playing SFO over a regular game of Warhammer.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 26, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think the intent for tie building maluses is that they will stack, and in a 4 settlement province it can add up. The upkeep to units has also gotten steeper I think, so you end up running leaner if you turtle up.

I disagree the other province commandments are useless. With dwarves I'd swap between empower the guilds and masters of steel and stone. Once your province is maxed out you can go with the bonus tax one.

Pretty sure Brettonia works that way in the stock game as well.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha holy gently caress, people weren't kidding about the wild hunt rite being awesome. I'm only playing on easy, but instantly spawning 14 wild dinosaurs and a old-blood is just way too good. At first I thought I was screwing myself since my upkeep went through the roof, but you can immediately use it against basically any army, or seiges and make some money that way. You'll get used to seeing the battle recap screen saying Brought:15. Losses: 0 Army:15, their team Brought:2000 Losses:1580 Captured: 420.
My great vortex game is going pretty splendidly, finally managed to confederate, of course with someone about to lose their whole empire. Does the AI only confederate when in desperate straits?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

toasterwarrior posted:

The Von Carsteins (both of them) have gone on a massive rampage in my new Dwarf game. My main force holding them down at Karak Kadrin has gotten so many victories that goddamn Grimgor ended up liking me since he's also warring with them.

This led me to discover his "friendly" lines when negotiating with Dwarfs: while the usual angry lines are "I'M GONNA STOMP YOU FLAT WAAAAAGH", him being friendly is "HAHA LOOK AT DA LIL STUNTY LOL".

That's utterly perfect.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I think the intent for tie building maluses is that they will stack, and in a 4 settlement province it can add up. The upkeep to units has also gotten steeper I think, so you end up running leaner if you turtle up.

The problem isn't the maluses, it's just that they're uninspired. Local tax hits are meaningless at just a couple percent because the tax income is generally going to be pretty low and public order just forces you into the public order edict.

quote:

I disagree the other province commandments are useless. With dwarves I'd swap between empower the guilds and masters of steel and stone. Once your province is maxed out you can go with the bonus tax one.

I haven't seen the dwarves edicts so I might fire up a game to look but I find it hard to believe that was a meaningful choice. For example, on the Empire side, you had two tax options, either the public order bonus with +4 PO and +2% Tax Income or -2 PO, -growth, and 8% income. In a fully maxed out Reikland, which is one of the biggest in the game, with every income booster being built (including dismantling non-income buildings in the capital and building the 3 tier income producers there), that PO bonus is 500-550 gold per turn. Which seems like a lot, but you're talking about the largest region on the map fully maxed out. The next closest income producer I had was 1/3 the total of Reikland, and the 8% boost would barely covered the upkeep for a tier 1 unit. To be fair if you have more than enough PO then you'd switch, but if the idea was to overhaul the system but you've basically still got the exact same setup as vanilla and don't think about it then it doesn't really count for much of a real change. Then you've got the factionwide trade and research boost which is just one you'd switch to and forget instead of the 8% income once you could afford to move off the PO and the traditional recruitment bonus which really only pays for itself when you're mass recruiting whole armies or rebuilding an old army with higher tier units.

quote:

Pretty sure Brettonia works that way in the stock game as well.

Might be, but in SFO that penalty is debilitating rather than just annoying like it would be without SFO.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha holy gently caress, people weren't kidding about the wild hunt rite being awesome. I'm only playing on easy, but instantly spawning 14 wild dinosaurs and a old-blood is just way too good. At first I thought I was screwing myself since my upkeep went through the roof, but you can immediately use it against basically any army, or seiges and make some money that way. You'll get used to seeing the battle recap screen saying Brought:15. Losses: 0 Army:15, their team Brought:2000 Losses:1580 Captured: 420.
My great vortex game is going pretty splendidly, finally managed to confederate, of course with someone about to lose their whole empire. Does the AI only confederate when in desperate straits?

Player Confederation is incredibly difficult right now.

I had to get Cult of Pleasure to +350, own 5 full provinces and have them down to one territory with a half stack before I had a yellow chance at Confederating.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nessin posted:

-There has got to be some sort of script or other setup that fucks over AI that are friendly to the player. Or maybe it's empire specific if the AI plays Empire. I went for the peaceful inter-empire game and not a single one of the elector counts was able to hold back an enemy until I intervened. I don't expect them to win all the time but it should happen at least occasionally. I literally watched comparable army stacks duke it out and never once I did I see the Elector AI win whenever I had someone nearby to see it or a military alliance to reveal the fog. The only saving grace I ever had was Kislev seemed partially able to stop Varg, and once Bretonnia crossed to fight Skaeling and I confederated a half dead Nordland, Middenland was able to take a few Norsca settlements and hold them.

Can't speak for SFO2 here but I get this suspicion for most of my games in both WH1 and WH2. Play as Empire, Mousillon and the Greenskins roll Bretonnia and the Dwarfs, respectively. Play as Dwarfs, not-French and the Von Carstein dynasty run wild. Play Bretonnians, Norscans and Vampires fight over the burning scraps of the Empire while the Dwarfs drown in Orcs. And of course, with climates in WH2, the results feel a lot more apparent when Norscans actually own the northern half of the Empire.

It might just be VH difficulty though, and how its bonuses interact with the usual enemy factions.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's utterly perfect.

yeah the diplomacy lines are great, especially when its something lore screwy.

what sincerely annoys me about this game is that they didn't bother recording dialogue for future races for the old ones, so you get a lot of generic lines from earlier factions when playing a newer one. In my Queek ME campaign, I've had Louen and Karl offer me alliances and trade agreements, and I'd really like to hear their excuses for doing so.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah the diplomacy lines are great, especially when its something lore screwy.

what sincerely annoys me about this game is that they didn't bother recording dialogue for future races for the old ones, so you get a lot of generic lines from earlier factions when playing a newer one. In my Queek ME campaign, I've had Louen and Karl offer me alliances and trade agreements, and I'd really like to hear their excuses for doing so.

The diplomacy lines in WH2 bother me a lot because of how generic they are. It's really annoying when you're playing as Malekith and some dumb rear end dreadlord talks about speaking for the Witch King, or when you're playing Tyrion and some elf faction talks about bearing the Phoenix Court's tidings.

Most of them are text only so there's no excuse for them being that generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

MoreLikeTen posted:

I'm getting smacked around by the vortex campaign no matter who I play as. If I stay small and cover my ritual sites, the others outpace me. If I make a move for the leader, I lose ritual sites. Is there an accepted overarching strategy, or a good video series to learn from?

Don't worry about falling behind on the ritual, if that's what you mean by outpace. Build tall not wide, and if an enemy faction completes their ritual first, you can stop their victory in a quest battle, which you can teleport to.