Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Uchi no musume made the top 10 which let me know that's actually still actively coming out

i really hope it has not somehow gotten creepy since it was one of the best adorable LNs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no actual objectionable content in it, but it is so unrelenting about the guy fawning over his adopted daughter that i still find it kinda creepy

that might just be me, though

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They eventually become a couple. :reddit:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Largepotato posted:

They eventually become a couple. :reddit:

are you serious

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

Yay, Bookworm is #1.

And the Kumoko novel version got second place. I'm 100 pages into the latest volume and crazy stuff continues to happen:

The novel version started going of the rails around the end of volume 3, and now things have changed so much that volume 6 and 7 were 100% original content. It might link back up eventually though, since it seems like Kumoko finally becomes a god at the end of this volume

e: vvv I assume this was directed at the Uchi no musume talk above?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 26, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I would appreciate if people were kind enough to use spoiler tags for massively huge plot reveals like that. Please? I can't really keep up with every web novel in existence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
counterpoint: don't put spoiler tags on the huge and absolutely vital warning about a wn going full on usagi drop.

jesus christ.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I concur. I would much rather be warned off of poo poo like that than run into it.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
So are all the existing translations of Kumoko translations of the web novel? Or are the LN versions being translated also? I couldn't see any distinction for chapters on the novel updates website.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A Spherical Sponge posted:

So are all the existing translations of Kumoko translations of the web novel? Or are the LN versions being translated also? I couldn't see any distinction for chapters on the novel updates website.

The LN got licensed by Yen press, but they haven't released anything past the first volume yet. All translations online are for the WN.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Tamba posted:

The LN got licensed by Yen press, but they haven't released anything past the first volume yet. All translations online are for the WN.

Oh okay, thanks :)

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Dungeon Defense volume 5 has been completely translated. It’s magnificent as usual. Go read it!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Tamba posted:

So how is the YP translation of Kumoko? I'm used to Blastron's version, but I enjoyed the story enough that I'd like to support the localization effort.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

So how is the YP translation of Kumoko? I'm used to Blastron's version, but I enjoyed the story enough that I'd like to support the localization effort.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Blastron is better

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Piell posted:

Blastron is better
:agreed: I've never read this series before but blastron's format/writing is nicer and it provides additional context.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well I can't argue with the complains about the formatting but Blastron was translating the web novel, correct? Whereas this is the light novel. That could account for... some of the changes, I suppose.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm flattered, but please support the official release! For one, they're translating the LN, not the WN, which has been significantly edited and is probably a more enjoyable reading experience overall. Also, the author deserves your money, and supporting Yen Press means they'll be able to bring more books to market.

(...they should have ditched the every-sentence-on-a-line format, though.)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I agree. Even if you like blastron's translation more, you shouldn't disregard the novel version, because it has a lot of extra content (past volume 3) while generally improving things by rewriting/skipping boring chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big change should be how kumoko ascends into godhood, which sounds good. "kumoko wanders into a cave, fights some robots and then becomes a god" was kinda lacking, especially now that we've seen how potimas spent thousands of years trying everything he could think of to become one.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the big change should be how kumoko ascends into godhood, which sounds good. "kumoko wanders into a cave, fights some robots and then becomes a god" was kinda lacking, especially now that we've seen how potimas spent thousands of years trying everything he could think of to become one.

I'm still reading volume 7, but (novel spoilers)all Kumoko parts of volume 4 are new content between Kumoko finding the exit to the dungeon and her encountering baby Sophia, that ends with her fighting Mother head on (instead of a random "oh, the mind-hacking was successful" *mega levelup*).
Then at the end of volume 5, she starts traveling with Ariel and Sophia, while still being an Arachne, which continues through all of volume 6.
I know that she becomes a god at the end of volume 7, but with how things are going, she definitely earned it.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
That looks like the sort of picture that ends with her impaled on Tokyo Tower and androids still paying for humanity's fuckups ten thousand years later.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Holy crap the climax of Bookworm 5! (Part 2-2 is book 5 right?) It feels like the story has just crossed a major threshold. I mean the previous books have had some intense climaxes but this was just on a whole other level.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Getsuya posted:

Holy crap the climax of Bookworm 5! (Part 2-2 is book 5 right?) It feels like the story has just crossed a major threshold. I mean the previous books have had some intense climaxes but this was just on a whole other level.

I think I'm really close to where you are. The chapters I'm reading through are where (pretty big spoilers for roughly...
128 chapters in) Maine accompanies Ferdinand and a bunch of knights to take out a giant kaiju tree, right? I'm at the part where Ferdinand arrives just in time to rescue Maine; I'm excited to see what's next but I can't read any faster at my level! :negative: But I can't wait for her to get rich and buy that snotty noble's house from under him. Speaking of, any idea how to romanize that guy's name? Ziekicoza?

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 30, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

quote != edit

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
That’s the bit! It’s so good!

Apparently that guy’s name is an anagram of the Japanese Zako Kishi, ‘kishi’ meaning knight and ‘zako’ being the word for trash enemies in video games.

Edit: Oh man the epilogue of book 5 is God-tier. I think this will be one of my favorite chapters in the series.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 30, 2017

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I finished Sevens recently and found it surprisingly decent. I guess I got the wrong impression from the OP, or I just have low expectations for WNs in general, so the OP suggesting that it was a middle of the road entry led me to think it would be bad. But it held together fairly well considering the length. It basically was what it presented itself as, which is good enough. Also, Shannon abuse = very good.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

That’s the bit! It’s so good!

Apparently that guy’s name is an anagram of the Japanese Zako Kishi, ‘kishi’ meaning knight and ‘zako’ being the word for trash enemies in video games.

Edit: Oh man the epilogue of book 5 is God-tier. I think this will be one of my favorite chapters in the series.

Was confused for a second about where you guys are (partly because there is more than one giant evil tree fight where Maine is rescued by Ferdinand in this series), but if you’re where I think you are, that’s just around where things start to heat up, you are not to the Best Part yet.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im F5ing because Bai Xiaochun just revealed himself as the climax to the previous chapter, this is the moment ive been waiting for for the past 100 chapters

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that he will make peace between the sides by accidentally making himself their mutual enemy

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He'll make them hate him so much they merge and everyone lives! :buddy:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AWE Chapter 280

Shangguan Tianyou had been laughing coldly as he waited in anticipation for Bai Xiaochun to be killed. But now, his eyes were on the verge of popping out of his skull. As he panted, his mind devolved into a complete blank.

lmao, this is exactly what I wanted.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Goddammit, it’s so annoying to see a translation get updated, only by the worst translation group ever. Baka Dogeza should either stop translating or get a better editor, because their translations are horrible.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh dear.

The world must be ending.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

While not a Japanese web novel, I recall that it was this thread where a bunch of people were talking about fanfic and I learned about Harry Potter and the Natural 20, so I thought I'd give a heads up that a new chapter is out! ...after only what, 2 years?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

darkgray posted:

Oh dear.

The world must be ending.

AOTY

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Crossing my fingers for the other LN about being pushed into a dungeon by traitorous :females: only to find the strongest gun and the strongest vampire bride and emerging to take revenge gets picked up for the same season.

Then we can enjoy another unified thread like we did with Asterisk of a Failed Knight a couple years back.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Argue posted:

While not a Japanese web novel, I recall that it was this thread where a bunch of people were talking about fanfic and I learned about Harry Potter and the Natural 20, so I thought I'd give a heads up that a new chapter is out! ...after only what, 2 years?

Thanks for this! I've read through it a couple times and was pretty bummed it stopped updating.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Chen Changsheng really needs to stop hanging out with Wang Po. I feel like he's going to turn into some Chinese Punisher knockoff at this rate. At least counterbalance him a little bit by getting Luoluo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rangpur posted:

Then we can enjoy another unified thread like we did with Asterisk of a Failed Knight a couple years back.

It'll probably take a million years before all the planets align in such a way to produce circumstances that amazing again.