Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

Uncertain Faith has a bunch of alternate priests with some remixed abilities that go with the major religions in the base setting. I would look there if you want to customize the class more to your liking. I've just gone through the pantheon I worked up and given each one three traditions that seem to fall in with their theme, so that's the lazy option.

Yeah, Uncertain Faith definitely is the best supplement if you want examples for how you can customize the Priest to give it more specific flavor. Forbidden Rules also has a tiny bit of related material (Adept base class, and an option for more flexible priest casting [basically just let them take whatever at level 2]). I'll also say that I can't forsee any real issues in just assigning gods 3 spell traditions each (or more- some of the Uncertain Faith traditions have each priest select 3 from a longer list, reflecting their specific approach to a broader faith tradition), traditions are pretty self contained and there's really nothing that's absurd/non-functional with priest class mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

The players have two orks who want to abolish their own slavery and preferably that of all other slaves. One is a regular ork Kunta Kinte and desires for orks to rise up and create a better society. I'm kinda stumped on how to work it into the chronicle. Their bondage keeps them in the city, so perhaps I should give them the choice that they can escape the city, but that would invalidate the work they have done to create the insurrection so far.

The other players have less scrutable goals. One is a morally flexible goblin monk who was the one who conned the harvesters into helping them, the other is a human wizard abolitionist, but the player seems a lot more interested in learning forbidden magic.

There's got to be a way to link all this together, but I haven't been a GM for a long time, and have sort of hit a wall.

Some random thoughts based on my memory of the Excellent Revolutions Podcast on the Revolution of Haiti (which you may want to give a listen to if you can spare the time, if you're going to run a game based on slave revolts.

• If your economy is based around forced labor, that economy is in real danger of collapsing when slavery is abolished. Many slaves may want freedom for themselves while not opposing the system of slavery generally, and many people who start out theoretically abolitionist may "walk back" their plans when they realize not keeping workers at their jobs will ruin the city state.
  • There may exist a small community in the wilderness where the most indomitable of slaves escape to - this gets them their freedom while also getting them off of the plantation/workhouse where they'd just be causing trouble anyway. The authorities can tolerate these remote communities (they're comparatively tiny) because it's better to just let the "worst" of the slaves to escape than to keep them around where they cause trouble and spread decent.
  • Revolutions tend to get more radical over time, and in Haiti what started as various factions of elites struggling for control of the island turned into a slave revolt partly because those elitist factions resorted to arming slave armies. That's a hard cat to put back in the bag.

So, you could set up a few different things.

1) Some sort of remote enclave of runaway slaves, which have an agitator abolitionist former slave among them he isn't yet in power.
2) Either an Internal or external threat that forces the city state to arm slaves into a military force. You could have them pull an old Spartan playbook and have the authorities ask for slaves willing to take up arms, then kill the first group because those slaves were waaay to willing to take up arms, and then ask again for reals this time.
3) Once the armed slaves learn something about fighting and get a taste for, if not freedom, then agency, have the news of Orc uprising reach the city and bam, conservative reactionaries try to round and kill these armed slaves post haste. 4)The survivors flee into that remote enclave, swelling its numbers with trained fighters and giving that agitator the force he needs to make a play.
5)The city is assaulted and sacked by the slaves, things get out of hand, successive slave rulers, each more despostic, self serving, and bloodthirty than the last, leave the city a burned out shell of it's former self and it's savaged by some threat or evil it's easily resisted in the past.

So in order that would like...

You start off with an internal or external threat that requires, against everyone's better judgement, the limited arming of some slaves. I know Orcs are already used as imperial soldiers but I don't know the specifics of that. This could be something else, like a battle between two noble houses in the city that's getting ugly. Let this go one for an adventure or two, the players doing missions related to their service in this conflict.

Give them a reason to visit the remote enclave (it's a good place for someone to go if they want to hide). Have them meet the agitator but make it clear it's not the right time and also that this isn't some new plan, he's old and wanted to do this for a long time, maybe he's badly maimed from a slave uprising in his youth that went nowhere, etc.

Then the news of the overthrow of the Emperor hits, the counter reaction against the empire in which your players have to escape a city turned into a slaughter house, the players go to the enclave, organize a slave revolt, assault the city.

Then, with the city sacked, razed, suffering from total disorder and a collapsed economy, and under the control of an increasingly despotic succession of freed slaves, have some external threat (maybe something the armed slaves handily dealt with in an earlier game when they were well supported) comes to town and clowns on the burned out wreck that used to be a mighty city-state.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 26, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is great stuff, thanks!

I'm going to use a lot of it, I think, I'll write after I've heard the podcast - no sense in not weaving a more complicated web around my clueless players if I can help it :D

The thing that really interests me is making them choose between their own freedom, and that of everyone in Dis. The first is definitely going to be easier than the latter, but what would it do to a man to realize he could actually have made things right and didn't?

Also, I just got Forbidden Rules, and the additional marks of corruption are, uh... not mind safe.

Shadow of the Demon Lord: An extra face appears on your genitalia. It whispers unspeakable things to you.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Tias posted:

Thanks. It feels off, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm bad at GMing or my players love to dick around and shoot the breeze.

This isn't a bad thing at all. My RPG group will easily spend a 3-hour session dicking around and getting maybe one significant thing done if they're not in the middle of a cave or something. We still enjoy it!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tias posted:

Also, I just got Forbidden Rules, and the additional marks of corruption are, uh... not mind safe.

Shadow of the Demon Lord: An extra face appears on your genitalia. It whispers unspeakable things to you.

Yeah...horror is very subjective, I get that, but some of the marks of corruption are so absolutely baffling I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

One of my players has taken warrior -> knight -> dreadnaught and I hate him. I feel like some kind of playstation trophy should wink into reality with a victory tune just for doing physical damage to him. I'm waiting for a scene where he has to cross a frozen lake or rickety bridge just so he can take a single step onto it and drop through, leaving a cartoonish outline behind him.

In other news one of my other players has taken an engineering-focused path and has converted his moonshine still into a pilotable engine of death. He basically stands on top of it while it struts around the battlefield throwing grenades at people. He took the summon flamethrower skill just so he could throw it at a group and have a tank of highly flammable, pressurized fuel to detonate red barrel style.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 2, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
did I completely miss an engineering class or is it in a book I didn't pick up because I need that in my life.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

On the other hand, it seems like all my players are being mages or battlemages of some variety. It's making it really hard to design low level encounters that won't either insta-gib them or get insta-gibbed by them!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Infinity Gaia posted:

On the other hand, it seems like all my players are being mages or battlemages of some variety. It's making it really hard to design low level encounters that won't either insta-gib them or get insta-gibbed by them!

yea this is what happened with my group in our campaign. Almost all of us are some kinda magicy path and I can feel the annoyance from the GM trying to get a combat that won't instantly shred us or has the risk of just exploding if we magic it too fast, so most of our stuff has been social/mystery encounters.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

sexpig by night posted:

did I completely miss an engineering class or is it in a book I didn't pick up because I need that in my life.

Magician -> artificer -> engineer/technomancer/sapper to taste. Mix well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yo, if you're interested in playtesting some upcoming material for Shadow of the Demon Lord, Rob has a post with instructions on how to get in on it:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RobertSchwalb/posts/DAE67gsNxUR

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Not having a wiki where I can show people quickly what a new characters race would be like at least thematically has completely stopped my group playing this game

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gay Horney posted:

Not having a wiki where I can show people quickly what a new characters race would be like at least thematically has completely stopped my group playing this game

That's a weird dealbreaker, but I guess each group is different.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Even though it wasn't legit, the SRD for this game was very handy to have, at I wish that Rob would look into starting an official one.

Have you considered doing some short writeups on the ancestries? It shouldn't take more than like a sentence to sum up each of them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

If not, I got you( provided they speak english):

Changeling - Know the medieval changeling legend? These are it: Enchanted piles of sticks and buds evil faeries have switched for a human baby. They posses the spell-like ability to become any kind of appearance( at least of humanoid creatures) they desire, and can only be forced to revert by magic or touching iron objects.

Clockwork - Made of ensorcelled, high-tension clockwork with a spirit of a dead creature bound into them, these golem-like creatures are essentially robots, though they need 'resetting' on a regular basis. They come in all sizes and shapes, depending on the intent and/or insanity of their creators.

Dwarves - Pretty standard dwarven concept, these guys ply the deep earth, venerate their ancestors and have a kind of complicated attitude towards other races.

Goblin - Most degenerate of faeries, these little guys possess odd mutations and even odder personalities, often obssessing over creepy poo poo and they enjoy hanging out in sewers and other garbage fills.

Halflings - Akin to in LOTR or Warhammer Fantasy, Halflings are fat little people who are nevertheless fearless and appreciate having rural reservations in human empires.

Human - like in most other fantasy worlds, humans are often assholes, tribal in nature and suspicious of people they don't know. There are some out there variants, such as insane winter-men, the shapechanging and spirit-worshipping woad, corpse-eaters and other degenerate and/or feral variants.

Orcs - Like in Tolkien, these guys were created to be a perfect slave-soldier race. They resent their bondage, and have recently broken the magical curse that made them subservient to the rulers of the Caecran empire.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's a weird dealbreaker, but I guess each group is different.

We have a couple new people replacing some old ones. directing them to basically the pile of ancestries with no description or story hooks or anything makes it a lot harder to generate stoke factor.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This has been determined as our next rpg, coming hot off a 3-1/2 year, 1-30 4e campaign.

I'm running the Freeport series which - as of a few days ago - was half off on dtrpg.

Anything I should keep in mind?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh boy. The amazingly resourceful goblin monk PC in my Dis game has been caught up with. I decided his interesting thing rolls ("a box full of fleshy rods", "17th son of the Goblin King", and "Reputation as an amazing lover") have caught up with him - and that Princess Ailara of Summer, a powerful fae lady about to be wed, wants to bang him before she settles down.

It's going to lead to some chicanery down the road when whoever she marries finds out about it, but right now the issue is the courtship. She wants to fulfill a wish for him and his party if he goes to town on her, which he of course agrees to. He then has a long conversation with his erstwhile friends( who are all colossal crooks like him, except maybe the gladiator freedom fighter) about what -they- want, then goes on to completely ignore it and ask her for the following: All orcs must treat him as the 'holiest af holies'. 2 of his party members are orcs, and an orc army from Caecras is currently threatening Dis, so he wants to be safe from harassment in the foreseeable future.

Of course, they all know that the fae are not to be trusted, and he is justifiably worried about how she will fulfill it when he awakes.

Do you have any suitably devious interpretations of his wish? :) I'm thinking he gets viewed as a prophet or other dangerous element by non-orcs, or perhaps turns into an actual messiah of sorts, with all the problems that entails.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

dwarf74 posted:

Anything I should keep in mind?

The PDF of the corebook was updated with changes to some basic paths and some errata a few months back, make sure you pick it up if you last downloaded a while ago.

Level 0 means anyone can die in one hit, so make sure the level 0 experience is brief or clearly mark intended dangers and combats.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bewilderment posted:

The PDF of the corebook was updated with changes to some basic paths and some errata a few months back, make sure you pick it up if you last downloaded a while ago.

Level 0 means anyone can die in one hit, so make sure the level 0 experience is brief or clearly mark intended dangers and combats.
Got the new PDFs a while back and yeah, Paths of Power makes a big difference.

My players seem into it! I have people who never read stuff during the week, making up sets of 4-5 characters to pick from when we play on Wednesday. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh quick question - sorry for the double post.

Is the Adept from Forbidden Rules balanced okay?
How about the option for Magician to take their Potent Spellcasting instead of Cantrips?

Also I am strongly considering using Zones for combat - but I am worried this might hose up area effect spells a bit too much. Has anyone used them?

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Yeah, adept is generally pretty well balanced and slots nicely into a party as a battlemage. The ability to cast and weapon attack at the same time is useful, but not overpowered.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glukeose posted:

Yeah, adept is generally pretty well balanced and slots nicely into a party as a battlemage. The ability to cast and weapon attack at the same time is useful, but not overpowered.
Sweet, thanks

Quick question - I see no downside to missile weapon use while in melee combat. Is this accurate?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pretty sure it was some standard negative d6.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Pretty sure it was some standard negative d6.
Can you find that anywhere? Because I really can't find it anywhere. :)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I couldn't either and had to home rule it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
There isn't one, and why would you houserule it in??

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

There isn't one, and why would you houserule it in??
I don't expect I will - I was just making sure I didn't miss anything.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No that's fine, but our dude Jack B Nimble did.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think the idea is if there's no downside to ranged weapons why not use a bow always? But I dont think it's the end of the world if you don't have a penalty.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm not a verisimilitude guy but the idea of a man effectively loading, aiming, and firing a crossbow while being assaulted with a sword is powerfully offensive to me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bows generally do less damage than melee weapons and have limited ammunition. A crossbow costs twice as much as a sword and you have to reload it. Guns are also expensive, have to be reloaded and are pretty rare in the base setting. Overall I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use a bow in melee like some Legolas rear end in a top hat and not be penalized for it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My players came into the game expecting that rule and when we couldn't find one we collectively introduced it.

...But we're also the group that decided 40k rpg wasn't nearly complex enough; I myself spent a long time recalculating about a hundred melee weapons to align with a grand universal theory of what should distinguish one and two handed versions of swords, axes, maces, and spears (along with daggers and bayonets). We're spergy, SOTDL is our vacation from spreadsheets.

Oh also in my game rangers don't get 8 health and I get a good feeling just saying that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm not a verisimilitude guy but the idea of a man effectively loading, aiming, and firing a crossbow while being assaulted with a sword is powerfully offensive to me.

You know abstraction, and what's the problem with pointing in a dude's general direction and firing point-blank? The reloading part is already a mechanically bad idea unless you're some kind of Expert.

Jack B Nimble posted:

My players came into the game expecting that rule and when we couldn't find one we collectively introduced it.

...But we're also the group that decided 40k rpg wasn't nearly complex enough; I myself spent a long time recalculating about a hundred melee weapons to align with a grand universal theory of what should distinguish one and two handed versions of swords, axes, maces, and spears (along with daggers and bayonets). We're spergy, SOTDL is our vacation from spreadsheets.

Oh also in my game rangers don't get 8 health and I get a good feeling just saying that.

Well now that's just being hosed in the head.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Bows generally do less damage than melee weapons and have limited ammunition. A crossbow costs twice as much as a sword and you have to reload it. Guns are also expensive, have to be reloaded and are pretty rare in the base setting. Overall I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use a bow in melee like some Legolas rear end in a top hat and not be penalized for it.
Also they have way shittier tricks and options, most of which take 2 banes instead of 1.

I'm using abstract zoned combat. If I have no idea exactly where everyone is, I'm not going to worry about whether Hank the Ranger is in melee this very minute.

I would have probably used such a rule if there was one to be found, but since there's not, I'm okay with it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah! In other news, we started SotDL tonight with the Freeport trilogy, which rockets you from 0 to 1st pretty much right away, which is good.

We have a Salamander Warrior, a Human Priest of the New God, a Dwarf Lover er... Warrior, a Changeling Warrior, an Orc Rogue, a Human Adept, and a Clockwork Magician.

It's pretty rad so far!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Pixie. Wee. Your weapon attacks deal half damage.
What about +d6 modifiers from attacking well such as from warrior or rogue. Also halved?
Rogue health level up is 3. Halved, rounded down, is 1. If I level up twice did I get two hitpoints or three?

I rolled on my interesting items list and it's a box of 15 iron nails. Is this a sick fetish the dice have given me?

Does rogue's trickery work on literally any time I roll dice, even out of combat? DM thinks "once per round" implicitly requires combat. If I pick a fight before picking a lock with my pervert iron nails do I get a boon then?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rogue's trickery works out of combat. A few of them wouldn't exactly be useful in combat.

A round is 10 seconds so out of combat basically assume it means "at will".

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Pixie. Wee. Your weapon attacks deal half damage.
What about +d6 modifiers from attacking well such as from warrior or rogue. Also halved?
Rogue health level up is 3. Halved, rounded down, is 1. If I level up twice did I get two hitpoints or three?

I rolled on my interesting items list and it's a box of 15 iron nails. Is this a sick fetish the dice have given me?

Does rogue's trickery work on literally any time I roll dice, even out of combat? DM thinks "once per round" implicitly requires combat. If I pick a fight before picking a lock with my pervert iron nails do I get a boon then?

I think (per page 39 of the core book) halving applies to the entire damage total (though it can only be halved once).

Trickery definitely applies any time you roll the dice- it’s what makes Rogues “skilled”, because they can get on-demand boons for anything they do. It’s their whole thing. Similarly, a level 2 Priest can always toss out a boon to an ally via Prayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol this game looks so good. I'm forlornly reading books from the bundle of holding while my group plays 5e - the faerie one is hilarious with interesting things like "a human child". and "an annoying talking sidekick that chatters, follows you around, and disobeys half your orders".