Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Derek, out of curiosity have you ever actually met Roberts? Like back in the olden days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

So for the first time in years I've been lurking the sub reddit all day, just keeping up on the general reaction to 3.0

It's kind of eerie actually. Sale talk, "It's just a test of an alpha of a test" talk, endless hype and shop talk about which ship is going to be better at which thing. Meanwhile the actual game servers are melting down, again. It feels like I've stepped through a time portal back to the release of 2.0- but we already know how this turns out. They're going to take the money off this sale and then go dark for 6+ months. None of the bugs are gonna get fixed, none of the ships sold are gonna be released, at best you'll get some poo poo game mode shoved out and then abandoned. It's like the collective memory of Citizens is about 3 months long. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Yes. All of that. But it's going to be amazing when those loving leotards realize that they just funding one last round.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

You don't know me! I can quit any time I want.

Seriously though, even in fun it's a good warning. But I'm unlikely to forget. I made a mistake when 2.0 launched and it seemed like a big leap forward. I thought it meant that after a dry spell they'd be making progress from then on. Obviously that wasn't true- they made their money, went quiet for basically the next 8 or 9 months, and by February I was out (again) and happily taking my lumps both here and offline for being so stupid.

3.0 is a weird mirror of that launch, with the added twist that it feels like it's mostly the same people falling for the same maneuver a second time. Razzle-dazzle with a big release that is irredeemably hosed and fundamentally boring, get everyone hyped about the possibilities and then reassure them that it's all coming soon- look, you can already play it and we'll get those bugs hammered out in the next month or two! Then wander off while they empty their pockets at you (because your sale just happens to be now, and these ships won't be on sale again for another year!)

The nice thing about admitting when you're wrong is that it lets you really cast a critical eye on why and helps to prevent making the same mistakes again. I don't feel a lot of pull to get back into "The game" when I go wander around the old Star Citizen haunts anymore. Mostly it's a really interesting insight into the power of groupthink and just how strongly people can delude themselves when they are being subjected to pressure sales tactics. I feel like in a rational society there's a lot about the way Star Citizen has been run that would be flat out illegal.

I don't believe that the remaining whales are funding a game anymore. They're funding a dream, while buying JPEGs like they were MTG cards.

2.0 was released in the same manner, and touting "persistence" though there was nothing persistent about it. Right up to the April release of 2.6.3, shortly before the debut of the 3.0 dev schedule, it has 3000+ bugs logged in issue council and up to the release of 3.0, was the universally panned as the single worse patch ever. And that even with the Star Marine abortion that suddenly appeared in Q4/16 because they had nothing else tangible to show for a whole loving year. Just like 2017.

Then 3.0 came along in Nov 2017; which everyone agrees they released prematurely, though I had written that they had no choice but to release something. I just didn't think they'd do it in Nov. But it makes sense that they'd want to capitalize on sales and dreams, going into the holiday season.

They basically pulled the rinse & repeat stunt. And it's hilarious that some backers actually fell for it.

----------------

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
TFW your sig is a self quote talking about how right you are

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They are selling estate plots on tuesday.

Wait, is that confirmed? I saw the fluff piece last week and the 'classified' thing on Tuesday and assumed it might be that, but has there been word that this is a definite thing?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

D_Smart posted:

Those anti-social misfits (see Shitizen) are a different breed altogether. That's why I have ZERO sympathy for guys like FailureToReport because, you don't suddenly get rehabilitated just because you finally saw the light, and got a refund, after years of abusing dissenters and skeptics.

The only person who hates shitizen apostates more than shitizens is Derek.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nalin posted:

I love C++. I think every programmer should learn C++. I would never let anybody learn C++ as their first language. If you mess with C++, you have to understand basic C stuff, and now you are dealing with a lower level than many are first equipped to deal with. Beginners have enough on their minds so let's not try to throw pointers, arrays, C style strings, and how they are all interrelated, and more, at them. They will just get hopelessly confused.

In my opinion, I think C# is a perfect first language. If you use my earlier suggestion of starting with something simple like GameMaker, you can jump to Unity for something a little more complex (Unity uses C#). You can make some WinForms apps, which lets you bind basically code snippets to events like a button click. You can use ASP.NET MVC and Razor to get into enterprise style web-based apps. There are a lot of choices with the language for taking your next steps.

EDIT: And becoming familiar with C# syntax means you are halfway there for everything that is similar to C. There are a lot of languages that use a C-similar syntax.

Another vote from me for C++.

Though I learned my chops from the likes of Basic and Assembly, them moved right along to COBOL, Pascal, RPG (up to III), Lisp, Prolog etc. I actually learned C++ only when I started spending more time in Watcom C/C++ (I am one of the guys who helped debug and fix their DOS4G mem extender btw) while slowly realizing that one day C++ would be ubiquitous and I could end up with readable code instead of Assembly that only a few people on the planet would grow up to understand. I didn't even switch fully to C++, though I was using Borland's Turbo C/C++ for years, and actually wrote an entire AI language (interpreter & compiler) for my Battlecruise game using a combo of Turbo Prolog and Assembly.

In fact, as I posted on Facebook a few weeks ago, I only recently ported the last of my Assembly code (from one of my earlier game modules) to C++. I had it inlined since I wrote it back in 1993 or thereabouts.

True story. Back in 1999, I got a side-gig porting COBOL for a firm that was nervous about Y2K. Someone I knew from back in the day, remembered me and reached out. I made over $500K from about 9 months of work. Good times.

Anyway, my recommendation for new beginners is to go with C# + Unity. You will learn enough to one day learn C++ and move onto to more advanced things as-needed.

----------------

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

True story, I just ate a poo poo ton of leftovers and I might die. Remember me friends, remember me.

Perfect...in...every...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BeigeJacket posted:

Derek, out of curiosity have you ever actually met Roberts? Like back in the olden days?

Yup. At E3.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Latin Pheonix posted:

Wait, is that confirmed? I saw the fluff piece last week and the 'classified' thing on Tuesday and assumed it might be that, but has there been word that this is a definite thing?

No. It's bullshit. Don't listen to him.

----------------

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

after years of abusing dissenters and skeptics.

Just you princess......just you. And by years, do you mean triggering you into writing novels by calling you out as a hypocrite that one time?

I don't need your sympathy at all in contrast to how much you need me and others to have something to slam your way through blogs.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

FailureToReport posted:

Just you princess......just you. And by years, do you mean triggering you into writing novels by calling you out as a hypocrite that one time?

I don't need your sympathy at all in contrast to how much you need me and others to have something to slam your way through blogs.

You're both idiots. It's a draw.

Also, let the unfunny "princess" and "cupcake" bullshit stay on reddit, tia

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Yup. At E3.

lol. What did you chat about?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

Thank you sir

Wondering if 9 trillion km is something that not even a 64b system can handle or if it is really loving up

That's like 3ls?

I wonder how SC will do for the equivalent of Hutton Orbital.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Latin Pheonix posted:

Not confirmed but the promo image is just an empty patch of dirt. They already sold plots of land with every pioneer. so its definitely coming.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FailureToReport posted:

You are arguing with a literal autistic lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Your definition, like all your definitions, isn't based in real world but in the fantasy world you live in.

Here, take a trip down memory lane (here and here), one more time. Unlike you poo poo-breasted pansies who make poo poo up on-the-fly, I can cite anything I refer to - on cue.

You don't "need" my sympathy, but it was never offered. In fact, broken-brained laugh factories like you, are specifically exempt from any such notion. That's why we just lol at you guys - all day - every day. Incessantly.

If you think your infantile rants, designed to stir the collective loins of your piss-brained brethren, is what triggered me, then it makes perfect sense that the hole carved into your brain continues to be responsible for your poor choices. I wrote 2 - just 2 - multi-word posts in response to your poo poo-riddled diatribe on your lovely channel, and all of a sudden you think they're "novels". That makes sense because you've already exhibited that you have the attention span of a gerbil on acid, with the intellect of a cockroach picking a fight with a sparrow.

Go gently caress yourself.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Not confirmed but the promo image is just an empty patch of dirt. They already sold plots of land with every pioneer. so its definitely coming.

We already knew that, you pea-brained neanderthal. It's well documented. But there is no evidence that it's going to happen next week, like you suggested.

----------------

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

BeigeJacket posted:

lol. What did you chat about?

Turns out their Moms both have the same first name.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

Unlike you poo poo-breasted pansies who make poo poo up on-the-fly, I can cite anything I refer to - on cue.

So in all your shitblog posting that no one is ever going to bother to read.....still waiting for you to post the evidence that you talked to the Amazon dev at length and that you didn't poo poo your panties when I posted the DM's proving you didn't to which you had an autistic melt down over your "privacy' even though you had posted it 20 days prior without HER permission....

Keep the lies flowing warlord of hypocrisy.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

poo poo-breasted pansies, piss-brained brethren

D_Smart posted:

pea-brained neanderthal.

nice meltdown

pansies

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You do realise the incel thread is in GBS, not here?

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

D_Smart posted:

We already knew that, you pea-brained neanderthal. It's well documented. But there is no evidence that it's going to happen next week, like you suggested.

oh word. well i called it

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm actually not pea brained. More often I am actually the smartest person in the room.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

FailureToReport posted:

Dude you're arguing with Derek Smart. Look yourself in the mirror and contemplate the fact he's been doing this for twenty five years. Or maybe thirty. He was probably doing chess by mail with nasty remarks in the seventies.

Like seriously. The man only cares about you or SC or anything you give a poo poo about because he wants to pick a fight, and you think you're winning by feeding the warlord? You are feeding yourself to this man. You're just a sausage to him.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Will you pack it in!

Think of the adults.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

no_recall posted:

1000 posts what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Also, this thread is generating more content than Star Citizrn will ever aspire. Truly a great ARPG.

Carry on.

What's the current number on the anniversary sales? I'm out here sipping a margarita while being a content locust. It's a great time to be a star citizen.

Buy a hammerhead!

We are dropping thousands of posts.
They are dropping thousands of dollars.

Who is getting better value for money...? :iiam:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

So in all your shitblog posting that no one is ever going to bother to read.....

Quoted the above because....

quote:

still waiting for you to post the evidence that you talked to the Amazon dev at length

....my exchange is posted in the links I provided. But since you claim to not read them, here we are.

quote:

and that you didn't poo poo your panties

Really? I mean, what are you? Nine? From making silly voices in videos, to ranting about "women in a loving video game", to whining about a loving video game, while using colorful (in case you're too dumb to notice, I have been responding to your poo poo in kind) language, you're quite the Shitizen prize.

quote:

when I posted the DM's proving you didn't to which you had an autistic melt down over your "privacy' even though you had posted it 20 days prior without HER permission....

I know you're struggling with facts and reality, but at the very least, try to be consistent (you can't be truthful, so that's too much to ask - I know). You posted the DMs I had with her, and which actually PROVED that I DID have an exchange with her - something that YOU and your poo poo-gargling /r/ds brethren claimed wasn't true. Until you noticed it in MY forum, lifted it, and posted it - without permission (you later removed it because well, you're a whiny little bitch - just like the rest of your brethren) - in your channel. And I called you out on it.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 26, 2017

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Spiderdrake posted:

Dude you're arguing with Derek Smart. Look yourself in the mirror and contemplate the fact he's been doing this for twenty five years. Or maybe thirty. He was probably doing chess by mail with nasty remarks in the seventies.

Like seriously. The man only cares about you or SC or anything you give a poo poo about because he wants to pick a fight, and you think you're winning by feeding the warlord? You are feeding yourself to this man. You're just a sausage to him.

Woa......you're taking it way too seriously. It's Derek Smart. This is "Okay, I'm waiting for a game timer to finish, lets tab back over to SA and see if I can get Derek to write 10 paragraphs."

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

Quoted the above because....

....my exchange is posted in the links I provided. But since you claim to not read them, here we are.

Really? I mean, what are you? Nine? From making silly voices in videos, to ranting about "women in a loving video game", to whining about a loving video game, while using colorful (in case you're too dumb to notice, I have been responding to your poo poo in kind) language, you're quite the Shitizen prize.

I know you're struggling with facts and reality, but at the very least, try to be consistent (you can't be truthful, so that's too much to ask - I know). You posted the DMs I had with her, and which actually PROVED that I DID have an exchange with her - something that YOU and your poo poo-gargling /r/ds brethren claimed wasn't true. Until you noticed it in MY forum, lifted it, and posted it - without permission (you later removed it because well, you're a whiny little bitch - just like the rest of your brethren) - in your channel. And I called you out on it.

Tell me again where I got it?

Looks like it's a screen shot from HER inbox because what you were spewing was bullshit...

So you're saying you DID have it posted on your blogsite?

But then.......what would be the reason for you having such a baby hard on over it being shared right?

Poor Derek, he only likes it when he is the only one who gets to not play by the rules

Edit: By the way.......that was a BOAT LOAD of conversation you had with her.....

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

He was probably doing chess by mail with nasty remarks in the seventies.

Yes I was actually. And scrabble by mail too.

quote:

"I've said it before and I'll say it again. Throughout the history of the internet people have told themselves "I'm going to be the one that gets into an internet argument with Derek Smart, owns him hardcore and shuts him up once and for all" and every single one that has tried have all gone through with their attempts in exactly the same ways. You've seen it most recently on Reddit with his fanclub, or with guys like MoMA. You saw it with Chris Roberts. Now you're seeing it with obey-the-fist!

It's like watching an ever increasing number of people try to put out a fire with their hands, with each one is going "Hah! Those idiots couldn't do it because their hands aren't big enough! Mine are larger and I'm going to spit on them so they're moist! I'll show this fire who's boss!"

----------------

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
FTR going all puppetmaster is good for the thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FailureToReport posted:

Woa......you're taking it way too seriously. It's Derek Smart. This is "Okay, I'm waiting for a game timer to finish, lets tab back over to SA and see if I can get Derek to write 10 paragraphs."

Ooh... the Puppet Master defense. Let's see how this plays out. Is FTR truly the mastermind he claims to be, or merely an amateur autist inadvertently serving as a poster child for Dunning-Kruger?

The next few posts could be a stunner, stay tuned!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

----------------

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
lets all rub and forget the lovely video games

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

Oh, I'm done with him. I didn't want to have to deal with multiple responses to him. So I did the blog, then blocked. Done and done.

:laffo:

I knew you couldn't help yourself.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gradis posted:

I never stopped rubbing friend

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Sometimes, when I browse this thread I'm glad I don't really play video games much anymore.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Gradis posted:

what, are you a pansy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

But then.......what would be the reason for you having such a baby hard on over it being shared right?

I know this is going to hurt your brain, but I will write it in as few words as possible. Because:

1) You were not part of the conversation

2) It wasn't yours to share

3) You and your pimple-faced degenerates on /r/ds were already making a mountain out of a molehill because I Tweeted her comment about the lovely game you all were defending

----------------