Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well things have certainly escalated. Derek is going a bit grandpa with the occasional meme and picture, focusing on the visceral reaction while making arguments that only FTR reads. Surprisingly enough we haven't seen a word salad yet, but was that a blog reference I see? Never change, Internet Warlord. It seems to be working though, with FTR backpedaling and resorting to the ill-advised "sarcasm over text" approach that loses context.

It doesn't look good for the rookie. Stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FailureToReport posted:

Sorry, I've been trying to stagger it out by doing other stuff in between. I'll slow it down so it isn't so spammy and Derek doesn't risk blowing out a temporal vein or anything.

He doubles down on Puppet Master! I did not see this coming!

Bold strategy, let's see how this plays out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

Well they shouldn't even be relying on numerical accuracy at all to make the space game work. Trying to fit a room in a spacestation into the same coordinate system as planets and suns is silly. Scales need to be converted on the fly, vastly differently sized objects should have separate render passes, there's a ton of optimization opportunities when dealing with large to astronomical distances and low velocities, etc. But I guess that's not feasible when working within the limitations of a CryEngine mod and aiming for full Fidelity™.

It's simple. They could have gone with a "floating origin" model. But that means some scary math, as well as lots of underlying revisions to an already lovely engine.

As I wrote back then, they did a very - very - poor hack. And if they survive long enough to venture outside of this one system they are building, they will have to throw it all out. Or stick with "stitching" instances via jump anomalies in order to give the illusion of large distances.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Thread at a relaxing 73 degrees

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Computer, play some Chopin while I accept this contract to fix an HVAC conduit on featureless apartment building #9394848393949 on the procgen snore world

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well things have certainly escalated. Derek is going a bit grandpa with the occasional meme and picture, focusing on the visceral reaction while making arguments that only FTR reads. Surprisingly enough we haven't seen a word salad yet, but was that a blog reference I see? Never change, Internet Warlord. It seems to be working though, with FTR backpedaling and resorting to the ill-advised "sarcasm over text" approach that loses context.

It doesn't look good for the rookie. Stay tuned!

Don't bring funny voices to a blog fight.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

FailureToReport posted:

Which it was given to me by the other person in the conversation, who gave me permission to post it as I saw fit since he had already shared it without her permission 20 days earlier.

To which he then jumped on her Twitter raging that she violated "his privacy"

I think the general jist is he resents you making youtube clickbait garbage out of it to stir up poo poo that wasn't really your business to get involved in, in the first place. Hes also annoyed that when he argued you were misrepresenting things with your video comment description suggesting that the star citizen refunds subreddit (one of the "sides" in the slap-fight) was a part of the mess when it wasn't, you blocked his comment from visibility. But I get rolling in other people's fecal matter is kinda what Star Citizen backers are used to so I'm not going to judge the desperate struggle you find yourself in.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think the general jist is he resents you making youtube clickbait garbage out of it to stir up poo poo that wasn't really your business to get involved in, in the first place. Hes also annoyed that when he argued you were misrepresenting things with your video comment description suggesting that the star citizen refunds subreddit (one of the "sides" in the slap-fight) was a part of the mess when it wasn't, you blocked his comment from visibility. But I get rolling in other people's fecal matter is kinda what Star Citizen backers are used to so I'm not going to judge the desperate struggle you find yourself in.

I didn't make a video about him at all. He injected himself into the comments with a handful of bullshit, I posted the screenshot of his conversation highlighting that he never had a "conversation" with the person he claimed he did, he raged out with a blog post and I blocked him from the channel because he's more drama than he's worth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Golli posted:

Don't bring funny voices to a blog fight.

Aspergeddon 2017: Vlog vs Blog

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Star Citizen Googling:

mmo development time

derek smart

what is parp

space mmo fidelity

star citizen release date

star citizen how many prison cells

how to make mmo

crysis specs

C++

how long does learning programming take

game developer salary

crunch time game developer

refund

star citizen refund

derek smart

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tax paid on Beers behalf

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It's simple. They could have gone with a "floating origin" model. But that means some scary math, as well as lots of underlying revisions to an already lovely engine.

As I wrote back then, they did a very - very - poor hack. And if they survive long enough to venture outside of this one system they are building, they will have to throw it all out. Or stick with "stitching" instances via jump anomalies in order to give the illusion of large distances.

Thing its really easy to mix the two, using double precision to track objects on the server, and translating it to a floating point - floating origin coordinate system on the clients (or cell based variant there of which we used on Operation Flashpoint)

That way you get to keep useful things on the Clients such as the ability to push 4 floats through the SIMD architecture, which has value when it comes to performance.

Plus its not that hard to convert between the two coord systems either. Looks a bit like this:

Vector3 newOffset = new Vector3( (float)(m_worldPosition.x - position.x), (float)(m_worldPosition.y - position.y), (float)(m_worldPosition.z - position.z) );
m_worldPosition.x = position.x;
m_worldPosition.y = position.y;
m_worldPosition.z = position.z;
m_localposition -= newOffset;

Where world_position is double, and local position is the offset from the current floating origin, and position is an input vector to transform the coordinate system by.

I have loads of this sort of thing in my own personal Earth scale project.

I also have procedural cities (checkmate CIG!), though that is really early days of being mucked about with and still very much being worked on.

Single 500m square tile from the system, its designed to draw a few thousand of these.

Codezombie fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He doubles down on Puppet Master! I did not see this coming!

Bold strategy, let's see how this plays out.

WELCOME TO JOHN MADDENS CYBERWARRIOR 2018

TODAY WEVE GOT A GREAT MATCH BETWEEN THE FLORIDA GERIATRICS AND THE BOSTON TUBERS. WEATHER TODAY COULDNT BE ANY BETTER FOR SUCH A MATCH!

AND NOW FOR A COMMERCIAL BREAK

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

FailureToReport posted:

I didn't make a video about him at all. He injected himself into the comments with a handful of bullshit, I posted the screenshot of his conversation highlighting that he never had a "conversation" with the person he claimed he did, he raged out with a blog post and I blocked him from the channel because he's more drama than he's worth.

Yeah, I can see why you backed Star Citizen into 2017 a lot clearer now.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

An amusing thing about the whole subsumption thing, is the wildly optimistic expectations many seem to have for it. It's just a variation of an old school behavior tree, but explicitly without a world model. So these NPCs have no memories, do not have any abstract processing of the world (or even their basic surroundings), etc. It's all lizard-brain. Behavior trees in combination with scripting has been at the core of game AI for decades. There is nothing revolutionary or innovative about it. But CIG certainly hasn't dispelled the backer notion that subsumption is cutting-edge AI. I'd be fine with them stating they had an ambition to create cutting-edge AI, but they're talking about it like they have this special subsumption sauce, that's gonna make all the difference. It's complete nonsense and deceptive marketing.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah, I can see why you backed Star Citizen into 2017 a lot clearer now.

Glad I could clear it all up.

DO NOT REPLY TO ME WITH THE FOLLOWING USERS QUOTES, THEY ARE ON MY BLOCK LIST| D_Smart |

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ban them both and the winner is the one who never comes back

No don't!

I need this...

:unsmigghh:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FailureToReport posted:

Sorry, I've been trying to stagger it out by doing other stuff in between. I'll slow it down so it isn't so spammy and Derek doesn't risk blowing out a temporal vein or anything.
Staggering it out is a good strategy. I suggest starting with an interval somewhere between several decades and infinity.

Basically, use Star CItizen's release schedule as a guideline.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ok that signature block made me :lol:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lack of Gravitas posted:

It's very original

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WELCOME TO JOHN MADDENS CYBERWARRIOR 2018

TODAY WEVE GOT A GREAT MATCH BETWEEN THE FLORIDA GERIATRICS AND THE BOSTON TUBERS. WEATHER TODAY COULDNT BE ANY BETTER FOR SUCH A MATCH!

AND NOW FOR A COMMERCIAL BREAK

I would watch the gently caress out of that.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Lack of Gravitas posted:

you made me unclick don't show user signatures

:colbert:

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

Codezombie posted:

64bit precision would be struggling at that range. I believe double precision will handle around around 1.e-15 before precision becomes an issue, the value in that picture is 9e15 so yeah, I'd really not want to be that far away from the *origin*. It is however possible that the player is *not* at the origin here, and the above value could be only (for example) 9e7 away from the origin itself, in which case its probably ok. This is because the Xe14(?) range of acceptable precision is a radius that describes a sphere around the origin, so that max would be Xe28 which is a fairly big number. :)

Any reason to use floats instead of integers for the positioning? Since at the origin the same precision is required as at the borders of the solar systems that would seem like a good idea, no?

- 64 bit gives one 2^64 possible states that are distributed evenly over the diameter of the solar system.
- Lets say the solar system is 100AU wide (that's the largest diameter of the orbit of Pluto, AU=mean distance earth/sun)

Die distance between two states is then 100AU / 2^64 = (100*150.000.000.000m)/2^64 = 8.132*10^-7
=8.132*10^-5cm = 0.0008123mm. That gives 1231 states per millimetre. Shouldn't that be enough precission for mere movement? IIRC CIG said they want their solar systems to be 1/10 the size of the real thing which would push those numbers up by an order of magnitude.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mangoose posted:

You're both idiots. It's a draw.

Also, let the unfunny "princess" and "cupcake" bullshit stay on reddit, tia

Yea, seriously - combining this with you bitching about wimminz in that vid of yours just makes me envision you as this, only with a nasally nerd voice instead so...even more awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

you made me unclick don't show user signatures

:colbert:

I'm sorry, friend :shobon:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

PederP posted:

An amusing thing about the whole subsumption thing, is the wildly optimistic expectations many seem to have for it. It's just a variation of an old school behavior tree, but explicitly without a world model. So these NPCs have no memories, do not have any abstract processing of the world (or even their basic surroundings), etc. It's all lizard-brain. Behavior trees in combination with scripting has been at the core of game AI for decades. There is nothing revolutionary or innovative about it. But CIG certainly hasn't dispelled the backer notion that subsumption is cutting-edge AI. I'd be fine with them stating they had an ambition to create cutting-edge AI, but they're talking about it like they have this special subsumption sauce, that's gonna make all the difference. It's complete nonsense and deceptive marketing.
You already put more thought into it than Chris Roberts did.

What actually happened is Chris saw an episode of Westworld and said "we're doing it like that!"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

tooterfish posted:

You already put more thought into it than Chris Roberts did.

What actually happened is Chris saw an episode of Westworld and said "we're doing it like that!"

bethesda radiant ai but better

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Aspergeddon 2017: Vlog vs Blog

No matter what wins, we all lose.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Mods please change my screename to Jester Of Pipe Dreams.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This has been an excellent use of :10bux: and I'm glad of it

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Codezombie posted:

Thing its really easy to mix the two, using double precision to track objects on the server, and translating it to a floating point - floating origin coordinate system on the clients (or cell based variant there of which we used on Operation Flashpoint)

That way you get to keep useful things on the Clients such as the ability to push 4 floats through the SIMD architecture, which has value when it comes to performance.

Plus its not that hard to convert between the two coord systems either. Looks a bit like this:

Vector3 newOffset = new Vector3( (float)(m_worldPosition.x - position.x), (float)(m_worldPosition.y - position.y), (float)(m_worldPosition.z - position.z) );
m_worldPosition.x = position.x;
m_worldPosition.y = position.y;
m_worldPosition.z = position.z;
m_localposition -= newOffset;

Where world_position is double, and local position is the offset from the current floating origin, and position is an input vector to transform the coordinate system by.

I have loads of this sort of thing in my own personal Earth scale project.

I also have procedural cities (checkmate CIG!), though that is really early days of being mucked about with and still very much being worked on.

Single 500m square tile from the system, its designed to draw a few thousand of these.

omg groundbreaking tech

i would like to buy some JPEGs from you

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, seriously - combining this with you bitching about wimminz in that vid of yours just makes me envision you as this, only with a nasally nerd voice instead so...even more awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

Yeah......I'm bitching about wimminz, that was the crux of that whole thing. Most def.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Derek please change the response gifs you use and maybe go with cats or maybe cool demolition techniques so I have something nice to look at while scrolling past thank you.

You could post, like, I dunno. OWNED or something after posting a picture of a dairy queen being pulled down by a bulldozer.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

please consider lurking more.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah......I'm bitching about wimminz, that was the crux of that whole thing. Most def.

You're right, sorry. It was bitching about them being part of the Empire in Star Wars lore, a most esteemed universe that demanded half an hour to devote to that very important topic. :laugh:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
FailureToRapport more like

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

chochmah posted:

Any reason to use floats instead of integers for the positioning? Since at the origin the same precision is required as at the borders of the solar systems that would seem like a good idea, no?

- 64 bit gives one 2^64 possible states that are distributed evenly over the diameter of the solar system.
- Lets say the solar system is 100AU wide (that's the largest diameter of the orbit of Pluto, AU=mean distance earth/sun)

Die distance between two states is then 100AU / 2^64 = (100*150.000.000.000m)/2^64 = 8.132*10^-7
=8.132*10^-5cm = 0.0008123mm. That gives 1231 states per millimetre. Shouldn't that be enough precission for mere movement? IIRC CIG said they want their solar systems to be 1/10 the size of the real thing which would push those numbers up by an order of magnitude.
64 bit should be more than enough to model a solar system to millimeter scale. Hate to be the guy who brings up Elite all the time (not really, I love winding up the cultists), but Cobra uses 64 bit precision and it models 1:1 scale solar systems fine.

The problem with Star Citizen isn't that double precision isn't enough, it's that they hosed it up. It's funny because CIG talked it up a storm and failed to deliver, while Frontier just quietly did it without any fanfare. That's pretty much the story of Star Citizen and Elite in a nutshell.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FailureToReport posted:

I enjoyed that you then went on to explain how the only exceptions consist of babes placed into extraordinary positions of authority or plot relevancy.

I mean before the flood of blood streaming from my eyes and ears pulled me into the comforting silence of oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

chochmah posted:

Integers are never great for positioning as at some level you get stepping, or you have to scale them to such a fine point that they can't handle a very wide range (though still good)
You must never ever *ever* use integers for the actual vertex level positioning as the individual vertices of the model will flutter all over the place, and it'll sparkle and jitter in a way that makes SC look rock solid.