Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If you can get a fecking postal vote in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

If you can get a fecking postal vote in the first place

I think they're just talking about regular polling cards, not even postal voting.

Either way, big lols at our useless gay country

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Do the Shinners stand to gain any seats in the next election if it is in the next few months and nothing big and unforeseen happens?

Related - saw this recently when i was tracking a delivery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWl-oIw7G0 You can buy a big box of crisps and send them in the post :jiggled:!!!!!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

crispix posted:

Do the Shinners stand to gain any seats in the next election if it is in the next few months and nothing big and unforeseen happens?

Related - saw this recently when i was tracking a delivery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWl-oIw7G0 You can buy a big box of crisps and send them in the post :jiggled:!!!!!

How did I go my whole life not knowing you have a different Mr Tayto down south

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

They're still polling mid to upper teens percentage wise which is what they where polling before the last election (with the actual result being lower than what they'de been tracking at).

Will probably pick up one or two seats simply through better vote management but doesn't look like there is any major drift to then, they've been increasingly criticised by the left for their dogged insistence that they are not "pro-abortion" while supporting repeal (and refusing to participate in the march for choice cause it went further than what they want policy wise) while FF's flirtations with mincome and critiquing of globalisation seems to be shoring up their leftish flank which is arguably SFs prime target now that Labour is kaput.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m looking forward to abortion being turned into an election issue and being discussed only by men in the media.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm looking forward to full communism in Ireland.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are there any social democrats left to vote for in the South?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's an entire Party of them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm looking forward to the third annual homeless death near a government building and shrugging of shoulders event.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Going to be so bummed out if you have a new election before the UK. Really want rid of our bad PM.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

irlZaphod posted:

There's an entire Party of them.

So there are I thought they died after one of them joined FF or FG

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

julian assflange posted:

Their manifesto is cool and good,but if they don't gain electoral traction soon they're going to lose any remaining talent. Gary Gannon gets my local #1 preference anyway

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

julian assflange posted:

Nope, it did seem lovely and opportunistic of Donnelly to join FF but I'd wager it'll bite him on the arse in the next GE.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Their manifesto is cool and good,but if they don't gain electoral traction soon they're going to lose any remaining talent. Gary Gannon gets my local #1 preference anyway
Yeah I'm in Dub Central too so I'll be voting for Gannon again. He's a pretty decent guy.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

He was the only socdem candidate who was in with a good shout last time - with Dublin central going from a 3 seater to a 4 seater next election his chances are strong if he can keep the momentum going

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

He was the only socdem candidate who was in with a good shout last time - with Dublin central going from a 3 seater to a 4 seater next election his chances are strong if he can keep the momentum going

Well, he's stayed visible and active in a way that doesn't come across as pandering. Plus he's also a bit ridey so that doesn't hurt

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I wonder if Alan Kelly will try to launch a heave against Howlin if Labour fails to pick up any seats.

He really is a wee shite

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I wonder if Alan Kelly will try to launch a heave against Howlin if Labour fails to pick up any seats.

He really is a wee shite

I really wish I didn't have to feel so dirty about giving Labour my #2

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Why do I ever bother going to reddit for news on political issues? It’s been another day of articles on “The Irish government says THIS on topic THAT” that just turn into threads full of a bunch of Americans and English people saying that Ireland doesn’t want to be unified because of that Belfast Telegraph poll they read or that the DUP are the “new UKIP.”

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well, he's stayed visible and active in a way that doesn't come across as pandering. Plus he's also a bit ridey so that doesn't hurt
He was part of the Oireachtas team which my club played against recently, some of my teammates were definitely :swoon: over him.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nilbop posted:

Why do I ever bother going to reddit for news on political issues? It’s been another day of articles on “The Irish government says THIS on topic THAT” that just turn into threads full of a bunch of Americans and English people saying that Ireland doesn’t want to be unified because of that Belfast Telegraph poll they read or that the DUP are the “new UKIP.”

Ugh, DUP are the old UKIP!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Plus he's also a bit ridey so that doesn't hurt

I'm not fibbing for even a second when I heard he has a tiny penis. Friend of a friend slept with him. Also skinny legs...

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 27, 2017

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Jaysus

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Southpaugh posted:

I'm not fibbing for even a second when I heard he has a tiny penis. Friend of a friend slept with him. Also skinny legs...

Lol, poor bastard. I'll pass that along to my lady friends in D7 who are desperate for him to come round and earn their vote

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Southpaugh posted:

Ugh, DUP are the old UKIP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJoTREXxwU

Always be wary if measurements are not given.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

My favourite thing about Brexit is the British tabloids saying "Oi if you stupid Paddies don't shut the fack up about your stupid border, we'll go for a Hard Brexit and then you'll be sorry!!!!"

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

irlZaphod posted:

My favourite thing about Brexit is the British tabloids saying "Oi if you stupid Paddies don't shut the fack up about your stupid border, we'll go for a Hard Brexit and then you'll be sorry!!!!"

It owns OP but then my brother who is in Scotland said his business is struggling because of Brexit and he may have to call it quits. Can’t imagine he is the only one...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah it's kind of a shame that, as usual, small business owners and people on lower (or no) incomes are the ones who will suffer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/934821820859068417

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Also here's the most recent recommendations from the Constituency Commission, which haven't yet been implemented by the Government.

https://twitter.com/IrishPolMaps/status/879837900849983488

So we may not only have a snap election called tomorrow (or this week), but the results may be open to a Constitutional challenge!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Someone save me some hassle and link to what this brexit poo poo is about. All I have to go on right now is waterford whisperer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

e: oh sorry you wanted to know about the Brexit poo poo.

Basically the Tories and DUP don't give a gently caress about the Good Friday Agreement. It stipulates that there should be no border between North and South. That's fine when we're both in the EU, but once the North leaves you will have a corner of this island which isn't in a customs, trade and travel union with 25 other nations.

The Government are rightly raising concerns about this, the right-wing British media are painting it as a nothing matter which we're only kicking up a fuss over to achieve our own goals (which apparently is a United Ireland lol).

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 27, 2017

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
It was surreal how seldom Ireland was mentioned in the debates on UK TV before the election. It was even more surreal that the DUP had thrown their support behind Leave. Possibly for a bung :/

We're all going to die aren't we?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No, the most surreal thing was after the election when I started getting messages from friends in the mainland asking me to explain who the DUP were, and why Northern Ireland had no Government at the time. "RHI scandal? Never heard of it."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

irlZaphod posted:

No, the most surreal thing was after the election when I started getting messages from friends in the mainland asking me to explain who the DUP were, and why Northern Ireland had no Government at the time. "RHI scandal? Never heard of it."

I lived in Edinburgh for around 5 years and I met several English people who did not know that Northern Ireland was part of the UK. Not even just thick people - one guy was a chemical engineer getting on for 30 and he hadn't the faintest idea what the place really was. Presumably they had never looked at the covers of their passports, idk :/

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Haha for a minute i read that as the mainland being the south.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

crispix posted:

I lived in Edinburgh for around 5 years and I met several English people who did not know that Northern Ireland was part of the UK. Not even just thick people - one guy was a chemical engineer getting on for 30 and he hadn't the faintest idea what the place really was. Presumably they had never looked at the covers of their passports, idk :/
I mean... it's in the full name of their union. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. :psyduck:

e: I assume that's what it says on the front of the passport? Haven't looked at a UK passport in a long time really, if ever.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yes but most people don't actually read their passport beyond Great Britain and wouldn't really be able to tell you why the UK and GB are different things (probably ending with going, 'Oh they're just two names for the same country'). Ireland is a separate island and there's an Irish government ergo they are a wholly separate country. These same people probably would just go there's some historical reason why the UK is so involved in domestic Irish matters.

Like, a lot of people will start from a basic premise because they never really stopped to think about it and then just ignore or reason away evidence to the contrary until they are actually confronted with it. When it's something so well known and clear cut they likely just get embarrassed and try to move on. It's the basic root cause for why people claim climate change isn't real.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
It's just plain loving ignorance. That's why Brexit is happening, in a nutshell.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Someone save me some hassle and link to what this brexit poo poo is about. All I have to go on right now is waterford whisperer.

Its a big pile of shite op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Its a big pile of shite op

KKK, I sincerely appreciate all your insightful effortposts on RoI and Nordie politics, but this is definitely the truest thing you've ever posted

• Locked thread