Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol i forgot gibson's thrown all their money into the home stereo market because that's totally booming and consumer electronics isn't one of the lowest-margin industries on earth

Holy poo poo, that was all in like the last 5 years too. What the hell were they thinking? Every analyst in the company must've been shrieking "NOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of their lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anime Reference posted:

Holy poo poo, that was all in like the last 5 years too. What the hell were they thinking? Every analyst in the company must've been shrieking "NOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of their lungs.

Shortly before they got fired by jusciewhatever

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
My favorite story about Gibson is when they hired some marketing person to come help them with their image because they were failing horribly, then that person had a meeting with CEO Henry and started asking basic questions like “so, what is your current marketing strategy, and what do you envision your future marketing looking like?“ to which Henry smugly smiled and scoffed and said something like “yeah, I bet you’d like to know that wouldn’t you.”

Bitch your company hired this marketing person because your marketing strategy has obviously sucked horribly to the point you need outside help. How delusional do you have to be to look at the marketing professional you just hired to fix your image and openly taunt them about how great your image and marketing is.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 22, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a home stereo market?

at the super high end like mcintosh and poo poo

not teac and onkyo and philips

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also all the money is in regular rear end cables that you can sell at a 95% margin because audiophiles are gullible idiots

I assume, I don't really know what the margins on the other stuff are like, probably healthy though

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

i'd like to think at least one person there saw the coming baby boomer mass extinction and tried to do something about expanding their sources of revenue, but when filtered through henry juszkiewicz it became "hey let's buy up a bunch of stereo companies nobody's bought anything from in 20 years"

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

My favorite story about Gibson is when they hired some marketing person to come help them with their image because they were failing horribly, then that person had a meeting with CEO Henry and started asking basic questions like “so, what is your current marketing strategy, and what do you envision your future marketing looking like?“ to which Henry smugly smiled and scoffed and said something like “yeah, I bet you’d like to know that wouldn’t you.”

Bitch your company hired this marketing person because your marketing strategy has obviously sucked horribly to the point you need outside help. How delusional do you have to be to look at the marketing professional you just hired to fix your image and openly taunt them about how great your image and marketing is.

That's some solid Art of the Dealing right there.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Anime Reference posted:

When companies get into trouble the heads decide that DO SOMETHING NEW THAT WE'RE NOT DOING is the answer, because acknowledging the current faults of the company (or realizing you need to scale the company down to be profitable) are unthinkable to them.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Diversifying is not in and of itself a bad thing (as far as I know, I'm hardly some financial whiz) but diversifying by investing heavily into an industry that's due for a crunch even more severe than yours seems extraordinarily dumb.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Anime Reference posted:

Diversifying is not in and of itself a bad thing (as far as I know, I'm hardly some financial whiz) but diversifying by investing heavily into an industry that's due for a crunch even more severe than yours seems extraordinarily dumb.

Totally agreed, but with them it's:

1) When companies do it as a knee-jerk thing without thinking. I mean maybe Gibson thought that over, but it seems like they just picked stuff based on mining their loyal (and shrinking) older and richer diehard fanbase despite that showing diminishing returns
2) When they don't actually address the original part of the company failing. At best the other divisions can prop up an ailing guitar division, but it'd be a lot smarter to fix the guitar problem.

I don't know whether to feel bad for them being painted into a corner of having to release the exact same guitars every year or be pilloried for changing. Maybe that's the market they cultivated, but still, that's dumb. Still at the very least they should understand that CNC machines in China make pretty drat good guitars, so if they want to sell American-made, great, they just have to not put everything on such a stupid upsell for the features. All of their new ideas are behind a $3000 paywall because of AAAAAAAAA MAPLE TOPS and other cosmetic bullshit and tonewood and they're wondering why people aren't buying bog-standard guitars at three times the price as a similar competing model.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You forgot about the part where despite the $3k paywall the quality control is infamously lovely these days and you might well get a guitar that can't stay in tune through a song because somebody cut the nut wrong.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If they're worried about diluting their brand they could just do what Fender does and have, y'know, other brands. According to Wikipedia their only instrument-building subsidiaries besides Epiphone are Kramer and Steinberger, neither of which are doing jack or poo poo ATM as far as I can tell.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stillvisions posted:

When companies get into trouble the heads decide that DO SOMETHING NEW THAT WE'RE NOT DOING is the answer, because acknowledging the current faults of the company (or realizing you need to scale the company down to be profitable) are unthinkable to them.

when they're seriously in trouble they start expanding really quick to use whatever cash on hand (or they just get leveraged all to hell if we're talking about venture capital) to buy up assets that they can use during or to stave off bankruptcy

it's why sears is still lumbering along despite nobody having shopped at one since 1997 because they own an ungodly amount of real estate

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 23, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

If they're worried about diluting their brand they could just do what Fender does and have, y'know, other brands. According to Wikipedia their only instrument-building subsidiaries besides Epiphone are Kramer and Steinberger, neither of which are doing jack or poo poo ATM as far as I can tell.

They tried selling them direct through musicyo.com which no longer exists.
I had bought a Kramer Vanguard(Rhodes style V) through them it had the quad humbuckers which were pretty stupid looking back on them.
I ended up selling it to guitar center for more than I bought it for because the guy thought it was "cool".

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEh4WdsJ8EE&t=80s

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

How delusional

quote:

Henry Juszkiewicz

The Cakewalk forums have a few posts that ask for Cakewalk to be open sourced.

Alas, if there's no developer there who's going to really quickly make a copy of whatever's in their version control system and releases it Snowden-style, this is not ever going to happen, because:

quote:

Henry Juszkiewicz

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gibson be like

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

From a Reverb listing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Ribbed... for uh... his pleasure?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Did somebody try to make a shredder out of a Peavey T-60?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Why scallop bass

why

whyyyyyy

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Reference posted:

Did somebody try to make a shredder out of a Peavey T-60?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wow, I didn't even notice it was a bass. Why in God's name...
I know Billy Sheehan does it but Billy Sheehan is a deeply silly man and should not be emulated.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also I like how it's trying to blend in with the floor out of shame

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That sucks but what doesn’t suck is buying that and starting a one man bass tribute to Yngwie Malmsteen.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

That sucks but what doesn’t suck is buying that and starting a one man bass tribute to Joey DeMaio.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Dude who commissioned this should've bought a Gretsch instead.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

So did a jazz trio that only does Liberace covers order that?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

So did a jazz trio that only does Liberace covers order that?

I was thinking irony-poisoned alt-country guy, that seems like the sort of thing you'd sport while wearing a Nudie suit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

I was thinking irony-poisoned alt-country guy, that seems like the sort of thing you'd sport while wearing a Nudie suit.

You'd need a sequined cape and 16 rings on your fingers

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

gotta admit cladding a guitar in laminate kitchen countertop samples from home depot is a novel approach

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The whole body is pick guard at that point so now that other pick guard is there for extra protection.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RanUlnKcvmI&t=150s

Unsuccessful gimmicks are the best.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Take off the mask Henry, we know it's you

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jesus Christ.

I'm the shallow cutaway that prevents access to anything higher than the 17th fret.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm the shallow cutaway that prevents access to anything higher than the 17th fret.

It's like someone didn't understand what cutaways are for.

That's a mirrored BCR Warlock shape. Why mirrored? It would have been quite funny if it was playable, but flipping the shape means the top frets are out of reach. It's not like with the Ibanez Iceman/Fireman.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That thing was built from scratch by a guy over at the tdpri forums.
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1959-warlock-les-paul-reverse.556998/
It's a pretty nice build just an unfortunate shape.
This is coming from someone who owns a warlock guitar and bass.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

kjetting posted:

It's like someone didn't understand what cutaways are for.

Maybe it's left-handed and they don't understand what pickguards are for. Or why knobs are placed where they are. Or, uh... which way up you typically string a guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does anybody here have any experience with Chibson guitars, or Chinese knockoff Gibsons? I figured if anywhere, this would be the thread for it.

I’ve heard that if you’re willing to replace the crap electronics and do a bit of setup work, you can get a really solid framework of a guitar for cheap, but I’ve never really spoken to anyone who has played one.