Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Dubai police chief 'Crazy Dhahi' calls for aljazeera to be bombed

How much of the Gulf spat is just about Al Jazeera? Reading articles like the following, I can see why the thin skinned Arab monarchs are so pissed.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/verge-splitting-yemen-171020063508888.html

quote:

After a tumultuous marriage of more than 27 years, South Yemen appears to be edging closer to divorcing the north in a move politically and financially sponsored by the oil-rich United Arab Emirates (UAE).

In the southern coastal city of Aden, unified Yemen's familiar flag of three horizontal bars has all but vanished, replaced by the former Communist nation's emblem of a red star within a sky-blue chevron, while pictures of Emirati royals adorn the hallways of government buildings and ministries.

Military units once loyal to the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi are also distinctly absent. Instead, local militias and Yemeni soldiers are flanked by Emirati troops - tasked with guarding key installations and protecting Aidarous al-Zubaidi - the UAE's 'man in the south' and leader of the southern secessionist movement.

It's a good article. . . but I can't help but feel it was written expressly to piss off the UAE. I find it difficult to interpret this kind of media and what kind of bias and narrative is present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A lot of it is about Al Jazeera, with a side helping of Qatar being supportive of Morsi in Egypt - but even that has a bit to do with AJ because they were happy to air Muslim Brotherhood and other opposition* figures.

I'm still sad the Emirate started leaning more on AJ but they do good work and aren't totally a state propaganda arm.

also Team Saudi declaring cold war on Al Jazeera probably hasn't helped the latter feel goodwill toward the former

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The UAE is sponsoring the return of communism to Yemen?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The X-man cometh posted:

The UAE is sponsoring the return of communism to Yemen?

After reading the article it seems to me they want a South Yemen as a bulwark against the Houthis-controlled north. The Saudis are against the idea.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OhFunny posted:

After reading the article it seems to me they want a South Yemen as a bulwark against the Houthis-controlled north. The Saudis are against the idea.

Yes, although I'd be careful about reading too far into it. The framing of the article appears designed exaggerate UAE support for secessionism and to make the gulf between Saudi and the UAE appear as great and acrimonious as possible. Aden was a hotbed of anti-Sana'a sentiment long before the current war, and the coalition turned to pro-secession militias from the very beginning of the intervention simply because there were few other friendly factions in the country. Not that petty infighting and disorder would be surprising among the anti-Houthi coalition, but I don't really trust this presentation.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The X-man cometh posted:

Is there any possible that ISIS didn't attack the Sinai mosque? I could see both Sisi and MBS doing something this awful.

https://twitter.com/intelwire/status/934451950095134721

'False flag' conspiracies are almost always bullshit and when they are real they're usually things like bomb attacks or artillery where there's less of a risk of something going badly wrong. Even then there's stuff like the Russian apartment bombings were the FSB was constantly screwing up and getting caught planting the bombs, announcing the attacks early, etc.

IS has a history of targeting Muslim civilians and neither Sisi nor the Saudis have any good motive for doing something like this. I imagine the forum reactions are from fairweather ISIS fans who dismissed previous atrocities as western/regime propaganda realizing what the people they're supporting are actually about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fallen Hamprince posted:

IS has a history of targeting Muslim civilians and neither Sisi nor the Saudis have any good motive for doing something like this. I imagine the forum reactions are from fairweather ISIS fans who dismissed previous atrocities as western/regime propaganda realizing what the people they're supporting are actually about.

There are people like this?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hey, Al-Saqr and whoever else, you might enjoy seeing the 'anti-imperialists' slathering all over those big boys like Assad and Putin:

Something to celebrate the war in Syria is over and America lost.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Hey, Al-Saqr and whoever else, you might enjoy seeing the 'anti-imperialists' slathering all over those big boys like Assad and Putin:

Something to celebrate the war in Syria is over and America lost.

Yeah Salon is still garbage I see.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josef bugman posted:

There are people like this?

Not here there aren't.

He may be disingenuously conflating ISIS and the nasty bits of the Syrian opposition, and then marginally less disingenuously conflating support for the Syrian opposition in general with support for Al Nusra and friends in particular.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

This Salon article is really incredible.

quote:

Renewed alignments and realignments have proceeded apace for much of this year. King Salman spent four days summiting in Moscow a few months ago — a stunning signal of new thinking in Saudi Arabia since he took the throne not quite two years ago. Turkey and Russia, viciously at odds when the latter first entered the Syrian conflict on Damascus’ behalf, are now cooperating as allies. Note in this connection a senior Turkish minister’s suggestion last week that Turkey’s NATO membership has to be reconsidered. Where does this end, you have to ask?
Later in the article the author talks about the Russia-Iran-Turkey Axis. Meanwhile MBS just started calling Iran a pile of Hitlers. Idk.

quote:

Russia is without question leading an effective multilateral effort to bring peace and an acceptable political settlement to a nation whose tragedy the U.S.–led “coalition” has long been intent on prolonging.
Make a desert something something.

quote:

Chronology helps here. Moscow’s first move in this direction followed the American-cultivated coup in Ukraine in February 2014. It was 18 months later that the first Russian bombs dropped on Islamic State militias and other anti–Damascus jihadists who enjoyed U.S. support. I rest my case on this succession of events. And I applaud Washington’s failures in both cases, of course. In Ukraine the U.S. got its coup, but got no further in its effort to draw up to Russia’s western borders. It is now stuck with an intractably corrupt regime in Kiev, an economy on life support from the International Monetary Fund, and responsibility for a lot of pointless suffering. In Syria the result speaks for itself — at least so far.
I feel it necessary to point out that Russia's borders expanding into Ukraine brings them closer to the US anyway.

quote:

Scrape it away, readers. Washington has lost in Syria. This is what the Times was mumbling about after Assad and Putin met. U.S. alliances with some of the world’s most reactionary despots may become a thing of the past. Its regime-change habit has been effectively challenged.
I honestly don't know how to make sense of the last two sentences when placed right next to eachother.

"Patrick Lawrence is Salon’s foreign affairs columnist. A longtime correspondent abroad, chiefly for the International Herald Tribune and The New Yorker, he is also an essayist, critic and editor"

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I feel it necessary to point out that Russia's borders expanding into Ukraine brings them closer to the US.

Not to nitpick, but by destabilizing Ukraine, they prevent NATO integration(unlikely but Russia is a bit nuts), and physical distance to the US isn’t that important. Their military assets in Crimea were there before so how close they are hasn’t changed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Not to nitpick, but by destabilizing Ukraine, they prevent NATO integration(unlikely but Russia is a bit nuts), and physical distance to the US isn’t that important. Their military assets in Crimea were there before so how close they are hasn’t changed.

Plus the Baltic borders are far closer to St Petersburg than any Ukraine borders, and I think they're also better placed for attacking Moscow, if we're going to think that way.

And America has already bordered Russia directly on the east for the past 150 years, they're only like 2.5 miles apart by sea. Most winters the ocean even freezes up enough that you can walk from the US to Russia there! If you'd like to get shot, that is. :v:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Count Roland posted:

Yeah Salon is still garbage I see.

Straight up calls the Russia-Syria alliance a 'new order' in the middle east, hard to get more fashy than that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fishmech posted:

Plus the Baltic borders are far closer to St Petersburg than any Ukraine borders, and I think they're also better placed for attacking Moscow, if we're going to think that way.

And America has already bordered Russia directly on the east for the past 150 years, they're only like 2.5 miles apart by sea. Most winters the ocean even freezes up enough that you can walk from the US to Russia there! If you'd like to get shot, that is. :v:

Ukraine joining NATO would bring them about 170km or so closer to Moscow, and also envelope Belarus on two sides. (Russian strategic planning obviously is more concerned about Moscow.) Also, once Ukraine joins NATO, it would essentially be lost to them entirely, while the current situation is actually much more in flux. (There is plenty to talk about on this topic.)

Also, I don't think Russia cares about anything remotely near Alaska beyond the Kamchatka peninsula itself, anything north of it is essentially depopulated and really has no useful infrastructure.

The Salon article is obviously a blow-job for Putin.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 26, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It was a joke guys. Gals. Folks.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Ardennes posted:

Ukraine joining NATO would bring them about 170km or so closer to Moscow, and also envelope Belarus on two sides. (Russian strategic planning obviously is more concerned about Moscow.) Also, once Ukraine joins NATO, it would essentially be lost to them entirely, while the current situation is actually much more in flux. (There is plenty to talk about on this topic.)

Ukraine is lost to them entirely, 100% already. Russia has already outright annexed the regions that contained the majority of ethnic Russians from where the pro-Russian factions drew their powerbase and influence.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sergg posted:

Ukraine is lost to them entirely, 100% already. Russia has already outright annexed the regions that contained the majority of ethnic Russians from where the pro-Russian factions drew their powerbase and influence.

Recent polling suggests that party politics in Ukraine has become more fragmented even without the eastern regions. I suspect Russia is hoping to eventually return those regions to Ukraine (when Ukraine is weak enough) in exchange for some type of federalized structure. Russia hasn't walked about of Minsk for a reason, and I suspect that the recent take over a Luhansk was a sign of further consolidation.

One issue has been the rise of the "For Life" party which has become a left-leaning anti-Nato alternative to the Opposition Bloc but nevertheless has been able to accrue its own share of voters. In addition, the Radical Party and Svoboda has been doing surprisingly well. At this point, there really isn't a strong consensus in the Ukrainian politics, especially since the Western-leaning parties have been taking a hit to their popularity. Also, other polling has suggested that the standard of living hasn't improved since the heart of the crisis and may gradually still be declining.

The reason for this is complex, and may simply due to the continued weakness of the Hryvnia and Ukrainian exports, tight measures by the IMF, a very high debt burden, and war costs.

It would still be a real push for a Euroskeptic/anti-NATO coalition to come to power, the more likely scenario is a deadlock or sheer lack of consensus.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 26, 2017

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Why did the US help ISIS evacuate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/raqqas_dirty_secret

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Nasrallah's claiming that US is still helping ISIS on the ground

https://twitter.com/PeterPyke/status/934761404485091329

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

To end the fighting, this was an SDF decision.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Steven Cook from foreign policy is getting some of that fine saudi dick that Friedman is slurping.

https://twitter.com/stevenacook/status/933054390767964160

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah the linkage of blackwater which doesn't even exist anymore (I think even Xe might be defunct) and the fact its the daily mail makes that particular claim look super bullshit. But yeah they're obvi being tortured by someone.

Well, yes, it's DM so take it as you will. I respect folks enough ITT to keep the source in mind without a disclaimer. (*Fun fact: I was personally reported on in DM who made up some minor facts about the story for the sake of narrative. Last I checked, a note to the editor didn't change the article - so, yes, I'm personally aware.)

Asian Times has a piece indicating the Daily Mail source might be implying they're mercs put together by Erik Prince awhile ago: http://www.atimes.com/article/mbss-supreme-anti-corruption-committee-torturing-ritz-detainees/. Again, take what you will from it.

CrazyLoon posted:

MBS confirmed having (fake) multiple personality disorder would be p epic.

Mr. Robot-themed spin off.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

This Salon article is really incredible.

I'm just accepting that no editorial board in the US of A seems to know fuckall about ME.

Just read this...

Christian Science Monitor posted:

The global spread of a culture of integrity

The mass arrests for corruption in Saudi Arabia were really a result of peer pressure among the world’s wealthiest countries who are trying to address a public desire for openness and transparent in governance.

ne of the surprising news events of 2017 was the arrest of more than 200 prominent people in Saudi Arabia for corruption. The roundup on Nov. 4 even included powerful princes within the ruling royal family. Now the leader of the campaign, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has revealed a prime reason for this dramatic crackdown in the Middle East kingdom.

“My father [the king] saw that there is no way we can stay in the G-20 and grow with this level of corruption,” he said in a New York Times interview. Prince Salman estimates that 10 percent of government spending is siphoned off by corruption each year.

The G-20 is a club of the world’s wealthiest nations. It has also become the major forum for global governance. Its member states, including Saudi Arabia, not only set standards of reform among themselves, they also rely on peer pressure to hold each other to account.

Since 2010, the G-20 has had a “working group” of anti-corruption experts advising members on how to detect bribery and improve government transparency. For its part, Saudi Arabia has proposed a number of anti-corruption laws. It has set up university clubs to promote integrity and begun to measure public perceptions of corruption. And ever since the crown prince consolidated power this year – with a nod from King Salman bin Abdulaziz al Saud – the country’s elite has been targeted by an anti-corruption commission.

The mass arrests, in other words, reflect a decades-long global trend to cultivate a culture of integrity in many countries. This drive to curb corruption has now reached a level of importance in world affairs similar to that of human rights.

The trend has also sparked mass protests for honest governance from India to Romania. And recently, the presidents of two G20 members, Brazil and South Korea, have been impeached while a former president of Argentina faces charges for corruption.

The United States began this global trend in the 1970s with its far-reaching Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. But the movement has been widened to include the World Bank, European Union, and other bodies. Corruption is now seen as a driver of financial crises, terrorism, the drug trade, and slow economic development.

The main advocate for reform is a Paris-based group of 35 developed countries called the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. The OECD provides advice to the G20. In 1999, it approved the Anti-Bribery Convention, the first binding international instrument to focus exclusively on bribery in business transactions. The pact now includes 44 countries and encompasses much of the worldwide commerce.

This effort to instill a culture of openness and accountability, says Angel Gurría, the OECD’s secretary general, has made economies more productive, governments more efficient, institutions more trusted, and societies more inclusive.

“In short,” he adds, “integrity delivers better lives.”

Saudi Arabia has now fully jumped on this global bandwagon. Perhaps its mass arrests should not be seen as a surprise. Rather they are merely another example of a spreading norm that embraces the highest principles of governance.

:shepface:

not even linking this turd of an editorial

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

tekz posted:

Why did the US help ISIS evacuate?

Refraining from bombing a convoy is stretching the definition of helpfulness.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Count Roland posted:

Its a big blow to Sisi's image and legitimacy. If a military dictator can't keep down a rebellion and keep people safe, what's he good for?

If MBS was behind this for some bizarre reason, there'd be reports hezbollah was behind it.

The rebellion in the Sinai is several years old at this point. This attack was a bit different in how it targeted civilians, but its not like this came out of nowhere. IS and affiliates routinely blow up mosques of people they deem insufficiently muslim.

I read your post earlier and didn't think otherwise. Then this came up on my feed: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...e-idUKKBN1DQ0EU

The timing's pretty drat convenient, at the very least.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

Well, yes, it's DM so take it as you will. I respect folks enough ITT to keep the source in mind without a disclaimer. (*Fun fact: I was personally reported on in DM who made up some minor facts about the story for the sake of narrative. Last I checked, a note to the editor didn't change the article - so, yes, I'm personally aware.)

Asian Times has a piece indicating the Daily Mail source might be implying they're mercs put together by Erik Prince awhile ago: http://www.atimes.com/article/mbss-supreme-anti-corruption-committee-torturing-ritz-detainees/. Again, take what you will from it.

Mr. Robot-themed spin off.

I'm just accepting that no editorial board in the US of A seems to know fuckall about ME.

Just read this...

:shepface:

not even linking this turd of an editorial

The gently caress? Is that actually an editorial or was it just an opinion piece?

Over the past couple years I’ve realized it’s actually really cheap for foreign autocrats to buy several inches of column in big American papers. I was reading some dreck by a US Congresswoman not long ago that could have come straight from Turkey’s foreign office. Saudi has so many stooges inside the beltway it’s ridiculous.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

I read your post earlier and didn't think otherwise. Then this came up on my feed: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...e-idUKKBN1DQ0EU

Meh, not really. I mean, do we think that this "security alliance" was invented and talked about and written and agreed upon in the last couple days? Well no, for it to be announced it must have already been written and waiting.

So sure, this attack could have been staged to justify the agreement. But why bother? Egypt has been getting close to KSA since Sisi came to power. An alliance between the two countries is hardly surprising, and Sisi faces very limited political opposition at home, making it hard for me to believe an attack of this magnitude would be required to convince the military or elites or the populace that this alliance is necessary.

On the other hand, crises are the perfect time to take the controversial law off the shelf and get it passed. That's what happened in the US after 9/11. All sorts of lovely police-state style laws got dusted off, bundled into the Patriot Act and passed without anyone reading it.

I'm open minded when it comes to conspiracy theories (because they can and do occur) but I like to have something to back it up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

guidoanselmi posted:

Feh. If they were waiting for a terrorist attack to announce something, unfortunately, all they needed was a bit of patience. No reason to go full truther about it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Im honestly unsure of my values when it comes to finishing off the last holdouts of one of the shittier sects of the 21st century, versus allowing 4000 of them to flee and hasten the end of some fairly comprehensive urban fighting.

It's one of those things where in any other instance not allowing safe passage out would be abhorrent, but... It's daesh.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Meh, not really. I mean, do we think that this "security alliance" was invented and talked about and written and agreed upon in the last couple days? Well no, for it to be announced it must have already been written and waiting.

So sure, this attack could have been staged to justify the agreement. But why bother? Egypt has been getting close to KSA since Sisi came to power. An alliance between the two countries is hardly surprising, and Sisi faces very limited political opposition at home, making it hard for me to believe an attack of this magnitude would be required to convince the military or elites or the populace that this alliance is necessary.

On the other hand, crises are the perfect time to take the controversial law off the shelf and get it passed. That's what happened in the US after 9/11. All sorts of lovely police-state style laws got dusted off, bundled into the Patriot Act and passed without anyone reading it.

I'm open minded when it comes to conspiracy theories (because they can and do occur) but I like to have something to back it up.

Yeah, I'm not saying they did it as you only need to wait a ~month between major attacks in MENA. At the very least the timing provides some more raison d'etre for the meeting & some talking points. If a conspiracy is behind it, I simply wouldn't be surprised as there the means & motivation are there.

Speaking of, I don't think Sisi's been solidly in the Saudi camp as recent as the shake-up:
From 2016: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2016/05/iran-saudi-egypt-sisi-rapprochment-salman-visit.html
Post-MBS shake-up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.2f1e3207cddc

Squalid posted:

The gently caress? Is that actually an editorial or was it just an opinion piece?

By "The Monitor's Editorial Board" which is a shame because I've generally looked favorably at CSM.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Willie Tomg posted:

Im honestly unsure of my values when it comes to finishing off the last holdouts of one of the shittier sects of the 21st century, versus allowing 4000 of them to flee and hasten the end of some fairly comprehensive urban fighting.

It's one of those things where in any other instance not allowing safe passage out would be abhorrent, but... It's daesh.

The colder part of me really does feel like just blowing up that convoy en-route, once it was out of the city, would've spared the whole world a fuckton of future terrorist attacks and misery (according to that driver in the interview, they collectively shat their pants at a US jet flying over them, likely because they knew they'd be utterly screwed if that was the call that got made).

Of course, the other part of me knows there were kids and the truck drivers, that got conned into this bullshit, that were part of that convoy too. Even if the kids were all wearing suicide belts thanks to their lovely genocidal parents.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 27, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realize this thread was so open minded about highway of deaths.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm also conflicted, but I think giving people the option to put the guns down and go home is important because you can never kill them all and you don't know how many innocents will die if you try. Ideally, you'd want to make sure they won't pick up arms again, but it's hard to be sure of anything in a war zone.

I don't know what will happen to the fighters and families bussed out of Raqqa, but I feel like the fact that they agreed at all probably means they're sick of fighting and most just want to keep their families safe. I understand the desire to see them face justice and I feel the same way about Assad, but wars are about more than justice and the preservation of life sometimes takes precedence.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Squalid posted:

Over the past couple years I’ve realized it’s actually really cheap for foreign autocrats to buy several inches of column in big American papers. I was reading some dreck by a US Congresswoman not long ago that could have come straight from Turkey’s foreign office. Saudi has so many stooges inside the beltway it’s ridiculous.
Since the Internet killed their revenue, most newspapers have such a hard time making money, they turned up the "will write great article about you for money" business up into an art form. The Angola former dictator's daughter got multiple "such a great black woman!" feminist circle jerk articles in the Guardian for owning a billion dollar business in her father corrupted country. Angola literally sent army rape squad to the Cabinda province , life expectancy in Angola is among the lowest in the world and infant mortality is among the highest. But hey, female black billionaire!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Volkerball posted:

I didn't realize this thread was so open minded about highways of death.

ftfy

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Inevitable outcome inevitably happens:

Long Divided, Iran Unites Against Trump and Saudis in a Nationalist Fervor
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/world/middleeast/iran-nationalism-saudi-arabia-donald-trump.html

quote:

In short, it appears that Mr. Trump and the Saudis have helped the government achieve what years of repression could never accomplish: widespread public support for the hard-line view that the United States and Riyadh cannot be trusted and that Iran is now a strong and capable state capable of staring down its enemies.

On the day of a state-orchestrated commemoration ceremony for Mr. Hojaji, Morteza Hosseinzadeh, a 33-year-old graduate of theater studies at Tehran University who considers himself a reformist, came out early to pay his respects. Dressed in black and holding a poster bearing the portrait of the new martyr, he looked every bit like the hard-line supporters of the clerical government.

“There are many here like me, who don’t care for the Islamic Republic and its rules,” he said. “But today is about something bigger than that, one of us has been killed. At the same time this American president is breaking our hearts with his rhetoric and threats. We have to choose sides. I choose for my country.”

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Its also important to reiterate that the decision to let ISIS leave Raqqa was made by the SDF fighters that were the ones doing the dying to take the city. The US honored their negotiation with ISIS. Letting the last holdouts leave vs systematically eliminating them as they fight to the death is not a unique decision in history. It won them the city, and now most of those fighters can get killed during routine operations like bombing strongpoints ahead of the next siege. It also showed some mercy, and means ISIS might take the same deal the next time, and the next time, till they have lost all their cities and are defeated.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mediadave posted:

Inevitable outcome inevitably happens:

Long Divided, Iran Unites Against Trump and Saudis in a Nationalist Fervor
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/world/middleeast/iran-nationalism-saudi-arabia-donald-trump.html

genuinly sad. Irans goverment is loving terrible but there was chance of future reform/hell maybe populist overthrow if we let the country open up and etc. Now trump has made the same mistake the Iraqis made in the 80s and the Persians have rallied around the flag and to their homeland and now a hardliner will be in power. good times ahead indeed.

Duckbox posted:

I'm also conflicted, but I think giving people the option to put the guns down and go home is important because you can never kill them all and you don't know how many innocents will die if you try. Ideally, you'd want to make sure they won't pick up arms again, but it's hard to be sure of anything in a war zone.

I don't know what will happen to the fighters and families bussed out of Raqqa, but I feel like the fact that they agreed at all probably means they're sick of fighting and most just want to keep their families safe. I understand the desire to see them face justice and I feel the same way about Assad, but wars are about more than justice and the preservation of life sometimes takes precedence.

apparently alot of them had suicide vests on including the kids. so who knows.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

genuinly sad. Irans goverment is loving terrible but there was chance of future reform/hell maybe populist overthrow if we let the country open up and etc. Now trump has made the same mistake the Iraqis made in the 80s and the Persians have rallied around the flag and to their homeland and now a hardliner will be in power. good times ahead indeed.

Which is why I hope that European policy will keep a certain openness and play the good cop to the US's bad cop.

In other news, according to the NYT, MBS will probably have to abort the privatization of Aramco.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-mohammed-bin-salman.html

quote:

The extrajudicial arrests have spooked investors enough, analysts say, to extinguish the prince’s plans for an public stock offering of Aramco, the Saudi state oil company, in New York or London next year. It had been a centerpiece of his overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Which is why I hope that European policy will keep a certain openness and play the good cop to the US's bad cop.

In other news, according to the NYT, MBS will probably have to abort the privatization of Aramco.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-mohammed-bin-salman.html

Lol, this guy is true mastermind.

I don’t think this means “reform” vs hardliners in Iran is dead. It probably reflects a bipartisan foreign policy consensus. So the country will have internal movements on rights, the economy etc, but funding their MIC will be unquestioned.