Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Loxbourne posted:

G0RF, I want you to know I love this mental image and it made my day measurably better and happier.

Ha — thanks Loxbourne. I should’ve linked the reference to help drive it home.

I was actually going to write you to say I loved your great write-up on Travis and Chelsea in the CIG Historical Drama catalog. I’ve had an effort post coming together as time permits, an OrgCom primer about power, values, and organizational culture at CIG, and few story arcs in CIG history offer richer evidence of the heartbreaking and sickening truths of Robertsian workplace culture than theirs.

Analyzing and diagnosing the dysfunctions of a workplace culture from the outside is a heady, tricky affair and zealots would probably see it as the height of presumption to even try. Yet CIG has been so careless, so indiscrete, the leadership so artless and clumsy that telltale clues litter their public record and the Days’ story arc is an especially useful decryption key.

Anyhoo, I’ll post some hyperlinks on the Drama thread that might be useful as reinforcement for your write-up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Anniversary Sales has past $2.2 million. With only 7 days worth of unique buying opportunities to go.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

I enjoyed that you then went on to explain how the only exceptions consist of babes placed into extraordinary positions of authority or plot relevancy.

I mean before the flood of blood streaming from my eyes and ears pulled me into the comforting silence of oblivion.
Didn't watch, but I'm imagining a half hour version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Iw2mBO1_8

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 26, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
FTR can you help me understand citizens? I don't understand how they spend hours and hours talking about [x] ship when there seems to be nothing beyond "Oh that ship is good at electronic warfare" or "this ship can be used as a telescope or a farm"

What's the magic sauce that CIG uses to get people to pay hundreds of dollars for these 3D models? Is it simply the promise of being able to leapfrog all the plebs in their starter ships?

Please score the attraction of the following with a 100 point scale:
ship concept imagery
video of ship flying around
description of ship abilities/role
friends talking about the ship
supporting Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
anything else you can think of

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Tane

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

FTR can you help me understand citizens? I don't understand ... the ... point ... of ... Cloud Imperium Games

Too many words, I simplified it for you.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

no_recall posted:

That's like 3ls?

I wonder how SC will do for the equivalent of Hutton Orbital.

Hmm, no more like 30 million Ls, no?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Ban everyone, gas thread

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Who the hell is the historian for this thread?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Caught up with thread.
Thread is good.
However, I have noticed a distinct lack of taxxe for some time.
Where is Thoatse?

e: taxxe

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 26, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

I am The Watcher

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837056

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nalin posted:

I love C++. I think every programmer should learn C++. I would never let anybody learn C++ as their first language. If you mess with C++, you have to understand basic C stuff, and now you are dealing with a lower level than many are first equipped to deal with. Beginners have enough on their minds so let's not try to throw pointers, arrays, C style strings, and how they are all interrelated, and more, at them. They will just get hopelessly confused.

In my opinion, I think C# is a perfect first language. If you use my earlier suggestion of starting with something simple like GameMaker, you can jump to Unity for something a little more complex (Unity uses C#). You can make some WinForms apps, which lets you bind basically code snippets to events like a button click. You can use ASP.NET MVC and Razor to get into enterprise style web-based apps. There are a lot of choices with the language for taking your next steps.

EDIT: And becoming familiar with C# syntax means you are halfway there for everything that is similar to C. There are a lot of languages that use a C-similar syntax.

:five:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

I didn't make a video about him at all. He injected himself into the comments with a handful of bullshit, I posted the screenshot of his conversation highlighting that he never had a "conversation" with the person he claimed he did, he raged out with a blog post and I blocked him from the channel because he's more drama than he's worth.

Lets review.

YouTube video game kid makes videos for the public with comments open to the public.

Derek as a member of said public uses same public comment section to make comments.

Derek has conversation with other member of public in said public comment section.

It appears to me that you do not understand the nature of what the comment section is actually there for.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Nyast posted:

Doing a quick test in my debugger, precision at this distance ( assuming viewer is at origin ) is at the order of 50 cm to 1 meter. So yeah, 64-bits precision wouldn't be enough. If you want a precision of the order of the millimeter, you could only handle up to 1/1000th of this distance.

Edit: 9678516584585 Km is around 64523 AUs, which if I remember correctly, is 1 LY. So there we go, that distance showed in that pic is actually 1 LY. There shouldn't be a need for such precision within a solar system though. 1/1000th of a LY is still 64 AUs, which should be plenty enough.

Yeah, that is what I thought. 1LY... but QT is just at 0,2c and I am pretty sure the 3.0 PTU was not launched 5 years ago. Also the part that does not quite add up yet is the gooncati claim that the ship was nearing actual planetary locations in the PTU (although forbidden as of yet). So either the PTU star system is YUGE and QT speed has jumped up by a significant factor, o the actual range is not taken from the origin, or the range figure is about something totally unrelated, or just wrong.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 26, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/delamar-is-mirrored

Delamar is mirrored

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Month old Goon-fud. Downvote and move on.

Sabreseven posted:

See, the 'bug' thing is quite funny and very apt, but I can't take my eyes off all the perfectly straight 'join' lines all perfectly parallel in alignment and all running W-E in the original image, as if googlemaps made the map for this 'moon' from satalite photos stitched together in lines. :shrug:

See them?

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 26, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MilesK posted:

The Anniversary Sales has past $2.2 million. With only 7 days worth of unique buying opportunities to go.

no_recall posted:

Jobbo_fett 3.2
AutismVaccine 3.7
Quavers 3.7
Goredema 9
VictorianQueerLit 4.35
big nipples big life 1.7
Zzr 4.2
SomethingJones 4.2
Spiderdrake 5.2
Dark Off 2.3
Gradis 2.3
trucutru 2.7
tuo 4
IcarusUpHigh 5.9
alf_pogs 2.3
Krakenwagen 0.9
Latin Pheonix 4.5
Aramoro 2.8
Daztek 5.5
intardnation 3.3
Nyast 4.6
Virtual Captain 1.69
SCTrumpHaters 6
Bofast 4.44
Zest 0.7
Ash1138 2.2
Wuxi <5
D_Smart <1
AP Put me down for the same monthly total as last year, I always underestimate how dumb Citizens are so not going to this time.
peter gabriel 400 billion
Colostomy Bag 4
TheAgent 4.2
Eldragon 6
monkeytek 2.9
Incitatus 420,069
spacetoaster 700,000
Variable 5 3.14
Toops 3.14 million and 1
Son of a Vondruke! 3.75
DapperDon 1.5
Lladre 4.65
Natron 4.8
X-Ultron 350 crowdfunded purchases of Wing Commander trash.
Crobbler Benz 5.3
Sandweed 7.4
Enchanted Hat 2
The Titanic 4.8
Goosfraba 1.3
Nebiros 3.3
Blue On Blue 10
Taintrunner 0.7
Omniblivion 2.69
Thoatse 4,206,924.70
Raskolnikov 3.9
Saladin Rising 5.1
Dooguk 3.85
his nibs 2.75
Kosumo 5,325,000
ewe2 2.3
Hobold 0.8
grimcreaper 1.8
Milky Moor 2.7
Sunswipe 10
Hav 1.89
VealCutlet 48.9 million calories for lesnick that is
Drunk Theory 6.4
Foo Diddley I guessed 40% less than what they made last year
Sarsapariller 7.3
Abuminable 4.56
The Rabbi T. White 6
Lack of Gravitas 6
Milky Moor 4.9
Beef Hardcheese 8.5
AbstractNapper 6.669
TheLastRoboKy 3.8
G0RF 6
Flared Basic Bitch 2.7

It didn’t occur to me until later that the lower your prediction, the higher your estimation of backer intelligence and CIG trustworthiness. In light of that, Peter Gabriel once again wins the thread.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 26, 2017

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

G0RF posted:

It didn’t occur to me until later that the lower your prediction, the higher your estimation of backer intelligence and CIG trustworthiness. In light of that, Peter Gabriel once again wins the thread.

Reads like the fallers after the 2nd fence at The Grand National (a horse race in the UK if you didn't know)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'm gay

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

It didn’t occur to me until later that the the lower your prediction, the higher your estimation of backer intelligence and CIG trustworthiness.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Star Citizen Googling:

mmo development time

derek smart

what is parp

space mmo fidelity

star citizen release date

star citizen how many prison cells

how to make mmo

crysis specs

C++

how long does learning programming take

game developer salary

crunch time game developer

refund

star citizen refund

derek smart

"ok google what is parp?"

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

On a side note I've really enjoyed the discussions concerning programming language, where people felt they were held back and how they wished they had originally approached the subject.

Reminds me of the old cooking posts in threads past. A few nice wholesome posts crouched in sincere enjoyment of the topic.

yeah me too

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
I started, like many, on BASIC but quickly moved on to 6502 assembler.
Then I moved on to C, C++, Pascal and Delphi, Perl, Java, PHP and Javascript.
C++ was fine but I really hated the whole pointers thing.
These days I just use PHP for everything, even though it is the crappiest.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah......I'm bitching about wimminz, that was the crux of that whole thing. Most def.

List the Star Citizen ships you used to own.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I missed the big fight, who won?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

tuo posted:

I missed the big fight, who won?

I don't think it was the whiny nasal teenager....

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

the spike is another batch of javelins

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
FailureToReport video
Star Citizen - 3 Point No (Good Luck Fam)
Nov 24 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qnc13_DLpk

FTR:
Let's talk about Star Citizen 3.0 PTU.

*sigh*

First and foremost, if you're a die-hard Star Citizen fan and you know you are... ah... you know who you are... like... you should EXIT out of this video. Um... you don't wanna hear the things I'm gonna say and honestly you aren't gonna accept them even if you do keep listening, and I don't have the will nor the energy to bother arguing with you. So just GO.

I'm honestly not even gonna put in the effort in the comments section which is usually something that I loving enjoy so... just exit out now, go listen to somebody like NOOBIFIER or BOREDGAMER who are like self-proclaimed MOUTHPIECES OF CIG, ah... and they can loving stroke your Star Citizen hard-on for you, cos I'm not about to loving do that.

So... as I would assume everybody watching this knows by now CIG has released 3.0 to the public test universe server over thanksgiving, leaving pretty much EVERYONE shocked as I don't think anyone was expecting 3.0 to leave Evocati before January much less December. The intial PTU wave was for first-wave PTU testers and within 24 hours of that invite CIG opened the floodgate to all CONCIERGE and anyone who WAS a subscriber or BECAME a subscriber, access to 3.0 PTU. With that, the zombie hoarde of Star Citizen backers went from meandering nearly dead, as seen in The Walking Dead, to RAVENOUS BLOOD LUSTED HOARDE OF WAR-Z as they overwhelmed the servers and spent most of thanksgiving night BREAKING THINGS.

We started playing Star Citizen 3.0 at around 10pm EST until around 6am last night... this morning... whatever you wanna call it... and the majority of that time was spent either having server connection issues as either CIG servers were either brought down intentionally to fix things or simply just CRASHED... um... the other portion of that time was spent crashing to lobby or desktop and uh... it was an INCREDIBLE first step into 3.0.

So after a whole truckload of gently caress-tonnage levels of perseverance MOOSESPEED? and I were able to meet up in the 'verse a few times, however we ran in... we never really managed to get anything DONE. We were just constantly plagued by BUGS such as... like opening our MOBIGLASS which you need to do literally EVERYTHING in Star Citizen now... um... we would become PARALYSED in place and unable to move... uh... and you would literally have to SPAM your MOBIGLASS, open it and close it... open it and close it... until you regain control of your character... um... or having our ships fail to regenerate BOOST FUEL which is now your ACTUAL fuel and so our CONSTELLATION... the one time we did get to our planet together... literally fell out of the SKY like a loving BRICK and landed... CRASH LANDED rather, stranding us on DAYMAR until we committed LOVER SUICIDE together in the barren wasteland of that empty loving planet

I could go on and on, for like the different bugs and terrible mechanics and crashes and what have you but I honestly... like I don't even have the energy at this point. I feel like I just watched someone kill my toddler son in front of me. Like real slow and tortuously.

You know, Chris Roberts responded to someone's question a few weeks ago, criticism... like regarding criticism... player criticisms on the game, uh... in terms of like DIRECTION and his LEADERSHIP, and his comment was essentially like, 'OH I DON'T KNOW PEOPLE SAY THIS AND THAT BUT IN THE END MILLIONS OF PEOPLE PAID ME TO MAKE MY GAME NOT YOURS SO THERE'

No, you fat-faced gently caress, millions of people paid you to make THEIR dream game because there was nobody else out there MAKING a space-sim any more, not to the level that we all wanted. In an age where like PC games are constantly being watered down to the benefit of CONSOLES and no-one was INNOVATING or trying to push the limits of our rigs any more. Chris Roberts, you have absolutely NO loving IDEA what people consider FUN any more do you. Like the few IMMERSION features that you actually managed to get into this loving game, what do they add in terms of GAMEPLAY?

Like the majority of the loving mechanics that get added with every new loving patch are just tedious loving things that make the gameplay feel more and more... like ANNOYING... not fun. Like there's no DEPTH in Star Citizen, not even in 3.0 Like 5 years into development and the game feels shallower than loving POKEMON GO. If I wanted to play a tedious, un-rewarding GRINDFEST I'd be streaming NO MAN'S SKY content.

*sigh*

I was gonna go down a list of things that are wrong with Star Citizen 3.0, both in terms of bugs and issues as well as bad gameplay mechanics because honestly, that's the biggest one. Bugs and stuff people are just gonna brush aside anyways but 3.0 is just RIDDLED with BAD MECHANICS and I figured that's what I'll highlight, that's what I'll focus on because people will just explain away bugs. But honestly I just don't give a gently caress any more.

It's clear that the man running this project is a narcissist incapable of accepting that every idea that comes out of his brain isn't always a good one. And when the man is both creative director, CEO and cult idol, nothing is ever going to change in terms of direction and gameplay. So buckle up buttercup! Because Star Citizen is gonna be milked and whored around to every backer and company like Intel, until the money stops coming in... and then MAYBE Chris will finally have a finished product to release by then. But I strongly doubt it's going to be a GAME.

I've spent the last few months being pretty critical of CIG in terms of their business practices as well as my fears regarding the direction the game was going... which was the main reason that I sold off my account. And despite having EXTREME reservations I publicly said that I would dial it down and wait for 3.0. And well here we are and I'm left feel pretty loving good about my levels of criticism and distrust about CIG.

Star Citizen 3.0 is nowhere near ready for PTU launch. So the sudden 'out of nowhere' move to release it to PTU and to literally ANYONE who opens their wallet to subscribe to the RSI website RIGHT BEFORE THE ANNIVERSARY SALE really feels like HYPE TRAIN BAIT to get the devoted to spend more MONEY, that sweet sweet currency. And ironically if fan-kids are still watching this video, they're saying in the back of their head, 'WHY WOULD CIG RELEASE A BUGGY MESS OF 3.0 RIGHT BEFORE THE ANNIVERSARY SALE, THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE FAILURE! IT WOULD HURT THEIR SALES!'

No it wouldn't, because you gently caress CUNTS are so deep into double-down mode that he could literally release Hello Kitty 3.0 with 2d textures and you would still be playing it and defending it.

continue listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qnc13_DLpk&t=468s

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thank you SomethingJones!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

G0RF posted:

Anyhoo, I’ll post some hyperlinks on the Drama thread that might be useful as reinforcement for your write-up soon.

I'd originally wanted to link the video, but it's been taken down. I was a little wary of going too far into research because they seem to be decent people who unfortunately believed Chris in the early days, bailed when it became apparent what was going on, and then Travis in particular had to fight off attempted legal action (apparently, according to Bootcha, including being ordered back in for "interrogations" under threat of lawsuits).

If and when Bootcha publishes whatever he's holding, I imagine it'll cover this. But those two stuck in my mind because they were recognisable, they were notably considered voices of reason by all sides, the backers even liked them and continue to talk about Chelsea fondly...and that was intolerable for M. and Mms. Roberts. They don't share the spotlight. Ever.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
It sure is hard for these guys to accept that Chris Roberts has failed without also accepting that Derek Smart was right. Here's a guy who believed all the bullshit about Star Citizen and is still believing all the bullshit about Derek. No disrespect intended toward you FTR, I'm commenting on your video and your posts and trying to understand where you're coming from.

I'm glad you got out, it's a scam from back to front in my estimation because they don't have the tech or the talent to do the job. There's nothing more complicated to it than that. They aren't making a game, they are attempting to make a sci-fi universe in which they can sell virtual goods. That's it, that's all there is to it, and they have neither the engine nor the people nor the backend nor the leadership to do it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Combat Theory posted:

Thank you SomethingJones!

You're all welcome!

Intended to do it sooner but I'm flat out with work atm

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
:laffo:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

the spike is another batch of javelins

I'd love to see these monthly funding graphs against a red coloured baseline of the best estimate of the monthly burn rate.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Codezombie posted:

Thing its really easy to mix the two, using double precision to track objects on the server, and translating it to a floating point - floating origin coordinate system on the clients (or cell based variant there of which we used on Operation Flashpoint)

That way you get to keep useful things on the Clients such as the ability to push 4 floats through the SIMD architecture, which has value when it comes to performance.

Plus its not that hard to convert between the two coord systems either. Looks a bit like this:

Vector3 newOffset = new Vector3( (float)(m_worldPosition.x - position.x), (float)(m_worldPosition.y - position.y), (float)(m_worldPosition.z - position.z) );
m_worldPosition.x = position.x;
m_worldPosition.y = position.y;
m_worldPosition.z = position.z;
m_localposition -= newOffset;

Where world_position is double, and local position is the offset from the current floating origin, and position is an input vector to transform the coordinate system by.

I have loads of this sort of thing in my own personal Earth scale project.

I also have procedural cities (checkmate CIG!), though that is really early days of being mucked about with and still very much being worked on.

Single 500m square tile from the system, its designed to draw a few thousand of these.

This is cool as hell, post more of this.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

I'd love to see these monthly funding graphs against a red coloured baseline of the best estimate of the monthly burn rate.
I still don't know why people assume its under $4m or so a month, the UK studio alone is burning $22m to $25m a year alone

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

I still don't know why people assume its under $4m or so a month, the UK studio alone is burning $22m to $25m a year alone

3-4 a month is what I thought it was supposed to be hovering around. Or are you saying people are hyper lowballing their costs to around or less than 1-2m a month.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

So it turns out that you can only quantum jump to these specific waypoints after all, and then if you follow the 'glideslope' approach down to the base waypoint on the surface you shouldn't ever notice how they are just stitching a big texture onto a sphere. Procedural tech my arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh dear. Everybody is rustling each other’s jimmies. You’re supposed to rub the jimmies together, not rustle then.