Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-talking-to-tennessee-volunteers-about-coaching-vacancy/

quote:

The University of Tennessee is again interested in hiring former Super Bowl-winning coach Jon Gruden as its next head coach, sources said, reaching out to the current broadcaster to explore his interest in the job. Sources said school officials have discussed the matter with him, with Gruden a top target for the Volunteers.

Part of securing Gruden for the position would include luring former Volunteers quarterback Tee Martin back to Tennessee to serve as a chief recruiter for Gruden, according to sources, and the deal, if reached, would be worth upwards of $10M per season for Gruden, with another $8M per season reserved for the salaries of his staff. Gruden has resisted the urge to coach in college in the past and some close to him believe he would prefer to land an NFL job if he is to return to coaching, but the Tennessee job has a particular allure to him, according to some close to Gruden, and his wife was a former cheerleader at the school.

Some Tennessee boosters are skeptical a deal will be reached given their failure to land him in the past, and he could very well end up with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or another NFL team despite the interest from Knoxville, but he is very much still in the mix for the job. Tennessee officials have interest in some current NFL coaches as well, sources said, and would like to get this matter resolved in short order, with recruiting battles on the horizon, though Gruden remains under contract with ESPN for multiple years. The ability to procure him from that contract, midseason, is a matter of some debate, but is not out of the question, according to sources.

La Canfora so almost definitely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Todd Graham has been fired: https://arizonastate.rivals.com/news/todd-graham-fired-after-his-sixth-year-at-asu

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Norvell back 2 ASU?

Also lol @ the most non-Petrino mercenary coach getting fired.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/reedcarringer/status/934616673692405760

Vols Twitter : coaching search :: Louise Mensch : Russia

I hate death and take no pleasure in reporting this, but the Tennessee board of trustees has already voted to execute Brady Hoke.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Imagine Gruden trying to teach Jarrett Guarantano his infamously confusing playbook lol. Not that hard to imagine

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Henchman of Santa posted:

I hate death and take no pleasure in reporting this, but the Tennessee board of trustees has already voted to execute Brady Hoke.

Retweeted by VolFactsStated

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I've gotten frustrated with him like everyone else has, but I don't see how this is going to help things.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I've gotten frustrated with him like everyone else has, but I don't see how this is going to help things.

Yeah, I actually disliked him a lot when he first arrived for how he’d jumped between programs so much and informed his players, but he actually seemed to want to be here and given how bad the program was predicted to be this year I was happy with the season.

I also don’t think we’re going to get anyone better since we’ll owe him a $12 million payout.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

This loving sucks. Chris Fowler tweeted late last night that Frost 2 Nebraska is a done deal.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/espns-chris-fowler-appears-know-something-scott-frosts-future-done-awhile

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lol

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I think Norvell would be a good hire for ASU.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

ESPN has “confirmed” it now.

A few years back I’d have been happy Todd Graham was gone, but now it’s somewhat sad for some reason.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Norvell would be good at ASU but everyone seems to think that’s going to be where Sumlin lands after A&M dumps him.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

an adult beverage posted:

This loving sucks. Chris Fowler tweeted late last night that Frost 2 Nebraska is a done deal.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/espns-chris-fowler-appears-know-something-scott-frosts-future-done-awhile

Well, if I have to pick between Fowler and Herbstreit RE: whose insight/connections are better...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SourKraut posted:

ESPN has “confirmed” it now.

A few years back I’d have been happy Todd Graham was gone, but now it’s somewhat sad for some reason.

Man even 2 months ago I'd have been fine with it.

I don't even know what the good options are besides norvell who would loving own but I feel like we're gonna get big timed out of it by everyone else

I really hope they don't look at their current staff for next year though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Norvell would be good at ASU but everyone seems to think that’s going to be where Sumlin lands after A&M dumps him.

Seems like a roughly lateral move for ASU, but maybe everybody just needs a change in scenery.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I actually disliked him a lot when he first arrived for how he’d jumped between programs so much and informed his players, but he actually seemed to want to be here and given how bad the program was predicted to be this year I was happy with the season.

I also don’t think we’re going to get anyone better since we’ll owe him a $12 million payout.

He has a better record than the guys that preceded him. Academics/discipline have been solid. When Dirk Koetter was fired, he made some comments about ASU thinking that its football program is more than it really is. I'm glad Dirk was fired, and I thought he was a dick, but as we run Graham out, I think about that. Nobody since Kush had more success than Graham did. Was it really Graham holding us back?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Great job, ASU. Just invalidate my reasonably researched claim that if you win 6+ games you're allowed to be kept on as a coach in the Pac-12 the very next morning.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

It is like he copied this off a message board. If this turns out to be correct (the offer, not Gruden accepting it) there were a lot of leaks. I can't believe it. With Tee Martin coming back as OC it reads like some Vol Fan Fiction.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Florida will now hire......

....Charlie Strong

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

....Charlie Strong

Please don’t joke about this.

:ohdear:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

FreakyMetalKid posted:

He has a better record than the guys that preceded him. Academics/discipline have been solid. When Dirk Koetter was fired, he made some comments about ASU thinking that its football program is more than it really is. I'm glad Dirk was fired, and I thought he was a dick, but as we run Graham out, I think about that. Nobody since Kush had more success than Graham did. Was it really Graham holding us back?

Every year I've thought graham was holding us back but he's shown self-improvement every year. Remember when he called all those defensive timeouts and we'd have 0 or 1 when we needed them? Last year our defense was tragic and we got 2 juco transfer CBs and actually won some games with our d.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Lot of East Coasters around here not noticing that you can be a mediocre coach in the Pac 12 and if you win 6 or 7 games per season be kept nearly indefinitely. The only two coaches in the Pac-12 to be fired at the end a season in the 2000's for 6 wins or more are Neuheisel and Erickson (Mora technically didn't win the 6th game).

Your point still stands, but Graham was just fired after a 7-win season.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Your point still stands, but Graham was just fired after a 7-win season.

With Mora and Graham being kicked out, 2017 might be the start of a higher accountability Pac-12.

Back to what started the discussion, I still think Mike Leach is quite safe at Wazzu since he'll be winning 8+ games at a historically atrocious program. It's his decision if he wants to leave that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Too late to start the Lane Kiffin to Nebraska rumors? He was born in Lincoln after all, native son returns!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ehud posted:

....Charlie Strong

I think Taggart is the guy when all is said and done. Unless Mullen’s relationship with UF admin is not as bad as we’ve been led on to believe.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/billyliucci/status/934830208015880193

"Executive Editor & co-owner of http://texags.com ." FWIW

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nachos posted:

I think Taggart is the guy when all is said and done. Unless Mullen’s relationship with UF admin is not as bad as we’ve been led on to believe.

I still don't see why Taggart would leave Oregon after one season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

He's reasonably well connected, he might be wrong but he's not just making poo poo up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think that’s a decent hire.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
SING US A SONG, YOU'RE THE SCHIANO MANNNNN

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/934837552372158465

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Please god not Schiano

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Maxwells Demon posted:

Great job, ASU. Just invalidate my reasonably researched claim that if you win 6+ games you're allowed to be kept on as a coach in the Pac-12 the very next morning.

Yeah wtf, they're going bowling but fired their coach. Morons, asu isnt exactly bama, do they really expect to be in natty contention? Lol
Maybe they have some newly rich bigshot booster

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shut up

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Dude y'all played like Princeton and Baker-Fuckfield state until like, the loving 90s

You're 20 years off.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eh, I don't know about that. Recruiting bases change, facilities need to be kept up with.

Like look at Pitt. Pitt was dominate for years, but the recruiting base starts changing, they don't make good investments in their infrastructure, have some incredibly bad hires and weeeelp.

And poo poo, holy double standards. Pitt had a very brief stretch of being really good in the late 70s/early 80s, and it was absolutely, 100%, all SWC, bags of cash and cadillacs cheating. You yourself know how profoundly disappointing they've been for the past 35 years, to the point where it's unarguable that Dave Wannstedt was their absolute peak.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like they just fired Schiano...

also we are gonna end up with Mullen after we strike out on 3 or 4 other people huh?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

also we are gonna end up with Mullen after we strike out on 3 or 4 other people huh?

You lost out on Kelly, I don't think Taggart was ever realistic, Frost is still in play.

I think Mullen is honestly the best hire you can make if Frost is set on Nebraska.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

I feel like they just fired Schiano...

Having a really hard time feeling bad for you here. Almost everyone else in the country would kill to have Mullen.

I think Taggart is still a thing that could happen though. Oregon was the best job available to him at the time but Florida is a better job and a much better fit for him given that he’s from there and has spent most of his career primarily recruiting the state (poo poo he still tries to do it now from the other side of the country). Leaving after a year would be awkward but it’s not unheard of; and I have a hard time believing he wouldn’t rather be at Florida. It’s not like his time at Oregon has been super smooth either

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 26, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

They’re really gonna do it aren’t they

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I want Frost but Mullen would be fine. The consistency he's had at Mississippi State has been amazing considering its the worst job in the division and arguably the second or third worst job in the conference.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kim Jong Il posted:

You're 20 years off.

And poo poo, holy double standards. Pitt had a very brief stretch of being really good in the late 70s/early 80s, and it was absolutely, 100%, all SWC, bags of cash and cadillacs cheating. You yourself know how profoundly disappointing they've been for the past 35 years, to the point where it's unarguable that Dave Wannstedt was their absolute peak.

gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sucks about frost but if he’s set on Nebraska there’s not much Florida can do. Mullen will do a fine job if he’s indeed the guy.

• Locked thread