Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Mackerel of Ordo 3 posted:

On the contrary, it shows that Ange wants to live and is actually exercising her intellect to preserve her life and liberty.

Exactly, because the alternative would seem to be betrayal and death.

This way she has a chance to go on and maybe discover that Battler survived the incident and is probably still alive (although with amnesia, so maybe we don't know if Battler "exists" or not). No need for magic to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Guys

Killing is bad

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Tired Moritz posted:

Guys

Killing is bad

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I think you'll find it's <good>

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Poltergrift posted:

So is this the good end to magic's bad end or to magic's best end?

Because I'll admit, "Ange murders two people," while clearly justified by the excellent reasoning of the Witch of Truth, is perhaps less than ideal in terms of personal growth.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this'd be the good end as opposed to the happy end.

Although, from the way the boat traveling in a straight line towards the horizon was described, it made me wonder: does Ange have any idea how to drive a boat, or is she just going straight ahead until she runs aground somewhere around Mie or Kyushu?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ZiegeDame posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this'd be the good end as opposed to the happy end.

Although, from the way the boat traveling in a straight line towards the horizon was described, it made me wonder: does Ange have any idea how to drive a boat, or is she just going straight ahead until she runs aground somewhere around Mie or Kyushu?
I'm pretty sure Ange has no idea how to drive a boat and Erika showing up is proof that she dies. That's cynical, but...

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

don't be silly.
obviously, erika's driving the boat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Kangra posted:

Exactly, because the alternative would seem to be betrayal and death.

This way she has a chance to go on and maybe discover that Battler survived the incident and is probably still alive (although with amnesia, so maybe we don't know if Battler "exists" or not). No need for magic to do that.

:yeah:

Also my epithets are becoming quite convoluted.

Tired Moritz posted:

Guys

Killing is bad

But what if... being murdered is bad, and allowing yourself to be murdered is also bad?

PetraCore posted:

I'm pretty sure Ange has no idea how to drive a boat and Erika showing up is proof that she dies. That's cynical, but...

I think to reach that conclusion is to reach pretty hard. After all, Ange has had a lot of imaginary friends. Erika just happens to be the best pirate among them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think to reach that conclusion is to reach pretty hard. After all, Ange has had a lot of imaginary friends. Erika just happens to be the best pirate among them.
Yeah... and we're not in the game anymore, so 'colorful anime girls showing up means every witness dies' is no longer in play. And I don't think 'ange doesn't know how to steer a boat' is relevant here. I feel like the takeaway is more that this is the ending that a character like Erika, who personifies heartless mystery even if she's gotten slightly less heartless, would approve of. It's the good ending, but it's the good ending as labeled by Erika. It's still better for Ange then going to the island and dying, but it's still pretty disturbing, especially when the best way to deal with this scheme when identified might have been to not go to the island in the first place, probably combined with bribing Amakusa to actually be on her side. Hell, she's got the power to bribe a hell of a lot of the people who are currently gunning for her because they don't know what she'll do.

EDIT: Basically murder is an immediate solution but being on a boat means she has ways to buy time. It's complicated, but interesting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fates End posted:

don't be silly.
obviously, erika's driving the boat.
Yeah c'mon. She owns a pirate hat so she must know boats.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Reminder that the only thing real life Erika is notable for is falling off a boat

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
But what solid evidence does Ange have that she's right? None. It's all circumstantial evidence, and she decided beforehand that she would not accept any evidence contrary to her reasoning. She did not give Amakusa any chance to defend himself and simply declared him guilty based on flimsy reasoning and the preconceived idea that "I am going to be betrayed", twisting all evidence into supporting that conclusion.

If you really think this is a positive development for Ange, it might be a good time to revisit this update from Ep 6 and check the parallels.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm okay with this ending. :unsmigghh:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

TheArchimage posted:

But what solid evidence does Ange have that she's right? None. It's all circumstantial evidence, and she decided beforehand that she would not accept any evidence contrary to her reasoning. She did not give Amakusa any chance to defend himself and simply declared him guilty based on flimsy reasoning and the preconceived idea that "I am going to be betrayed", twisting all evidence into supporting that conclusion.
The fact that Erika, whose whole thing is twisting evidence into plausible but bad and wrong theories, immediately appears to congratulate her is a small hint also. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 26, 2017

Lisonfire
Nov 8, 2009
Congratulations thread! You've finally proven magic and witches are fake!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Nah. Ange is now the captain of her own destiny.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's only one judge on the <Good> Ship Trick End

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TheArchimage posted:

If you really think this is a positive development for Ange, it might be a good time to revisit this update from Ep 6 and check the parallels.
Guns are really hard to get in Japan, and we know she's right about some of it because we've seen what happens if she goes to the island and her aunt confronts her.

The thing we don't know if she's right about is if Amakusa was supposed to kill ANGE. It could easily have been a setup to kill her aunt because her aunt was inevitably going to go off the rails and attempt to murder Ange. Ange is being paranoid here, yes, but she's in a situation where people actually are literally out to get her.

The thing that makes this positive development for Ange though is literally just that she lives instead of dies and wants to live instead of die. It's the <good> ending, not the happy ending or the morally just ending. RIP boatman.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 26, 2017

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

Guns are really hard to get in Japan, and we know she's right because we've seen what happens if she goes to the island and her aunt confronts her.

We don't know that she's right about the boat captain.

And besides, someone's conclusion being right doesn't mean the reasoning that led them to that conclusion is valid.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Idran posted:

We don't know that she's right about the boat captain.

And besides, someone's conclusion being right doesn't mean the reasoning that led them to that conclusion is valid.
Yeah I edited to reflect that. It's likely Amakusa was supposed to kill her or ended up killing her in the bad timeline, but iirc we don't know for sure, Ange gets shot and then everyone is being snipered by Amakusa. And the boat captain isn't indicated to be part of the plot, either, she's just paranoid and also he saw her commit murder.

EDIT: That said Ange's conclusion about the guns is super valid imo, there's solid reasoning and evidence there and the scarcity of guns in Japan further supports that. Her reasoning is valid, but tainted at the end by the feeling that everyone wants her dead.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I edited to reflect that. It's likely Amakusa was supposed to kill her or ended up killing her in the bad timeline, but iirc we don't know for sure, Ange gets shot and then everyone is being snipered by Amakusa. And the boat captain isn't indicated to be part of the plot, either, she's just paranoid and also he saw her commit murder.

EDIT: That said Ange's conclusion about the guns is super valid imo, there's solid reasoning and evidence there and the scarcity of guns in Japan further supports that. Her reasoning is valid, but tainted at the end by the feeling that everyone wants her dead.

That's fair on the latter, yeah; it's more the unwarranted confidence, I suppose. The issue with trying to do the super-deduction thing circumstantial evidence is that there's usually other explanations to support the evidence that are equally as valid but if you happen to be right then you come off as a genius about it. But the thing about guns in Japan makes it more solid an inference in this case, yeah. Less super-deduction ridiculousness and more just a "most likely explanation" thing, with her personal paranoia making her more confident that she got it right (in both cases) as you said.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There is plenty of evidence right here that Amakusa was going to kill Ange. (That <Cool> is his catchphrase, not something Eva would say.) But there is also plenty of evidence that he genuinely didn't want to kill her, that he actually cared about her to some degree and wanted to see her life a healthy life. (See: that conversation about child soldiers.) So Ange could probably prevent Amakusa from killing her just by convincing him she wasn't to do something crazy like turn all her assets into cash and use them to build the world's most expensive funeral pyre for her extravagant suicide. But the Erika thing to do is see evidence of the worst possible conclusion, and focus solely on that to the exclusion of all other evidence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah everything wrong with what Ange did can be pointed out with that Erika segment in episode 6. Taking after someone like Erika is awful.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I guess we will have to see how the other ending is gonna differ from the <good> ending. (I'll admit, realising why it was called that made me grin).

If Ange in the Magic ending is just gonna go along with Amakusa believing what she is told and get herself killed then yeah, at least this way she lives. But magic for her might also mean "figure out some crazy scheme that not only keeps her alive but also makes everyone involved wonder how the gently caress she pulled it off". Or maybe magic in the sense of appealing to Amakusa's feelings as some have brought up.

The Trick ending just leaves a bit of a bad aftertaste with how much Ange is following in Eirika's footsteps. Yeah, she lives but whether this is the best outcome is gonna be decided if the other can maybe end things in a happy way involving less murder.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ZiegeDame posted:

There is plenty of evidence right here that Amakusa was going to kill Ange. (That <Cool> is his catchphrase, not something Eva would say.) But there is also plenty of evidence that he genuinely didn't want to kill her, that he actually cared about her to some degree and wanted to see her life a healthy life. (See: that conversation about child soldiers.) So Ange could probably prevent Amakusa from killing her just by convincing him she wasn't to do something crazy like turn all her assets into cash and use them to build the world's most expensive funeral pyre for her extravagant suicide. But the Erika thing to do is see evidence of the worst possible conclusion, and focus solely on that to the exclusion of all other evidence.

To get the other guy before they get you, in such an overwhelming manner that there can be no mistake of who is the victor. To be the one who hurts, instead of the one who is hurt.

To become a rapist, in other words. A defiler in the name of the self, a spreader of the misery and horror of her own heart. Erika wasn't just an antagonist... she was a warning.

Since this follows the letter of the valediction that Ange not die...I don't suppose I can call it a bad ending, just a possibility. A hollow possibility, and one that lacks love... but viable, if somewhat sacrificial on the long term (how is she going to dispose of the bodies? She'll have to get rid of the boat, but how will she do that without raising questions, since she was the last person either of these men were seen with? If she said she was hunted by the Sumaderas, that would just raise more questions, invite more scrutiny... Does she intend to spend her life sailing on this nice boat?)

It is abhorrent to me. Does that mean I now have love?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Amakusa does seem to genuinely like her, so he wouldn't be opposed to being bribed or otherwise convinced to work for her and not them, given he had abandoned jobs befores.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
These are a lot of posts saying you all suddenly trust people in power to start doing right by Ange despite all the suspicious signs and scenes so far. Including Amakusa's secret instructions. I ain't sayin' but I'm just sayin'. :shrug:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Count me in as another person who's going to wait for the magic ending. So far I'm liking the <Good> ending though, even though it's so horrible. I wonder what Amakusa's explanation for that certain gun is going to be... :mrgw:

Thinking about other things, I guess one of the reasons why the catbox is so important for Battler and Ange is to hide the fact that Kyrie and Rudolf are the killers so that way Ange can have the hope of living a better life if no one found out. I'm hoping that maybe the other endings of the game or maybe the manga spell out what actually caused the explosion because I'm the type of person who sometimes needs obvious answers.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

(how is she going to dispose of the bodies? She'll have to get rid of the boat, but how will she do that without raising questions, since she was the last person either of these men were seen with? If she said she was hunted by the Sumaderas, that would just raise more questions, invite more scrutiny... Does she intend to spend her life sailing on this nice boat?)

Dump them into the ocean, the Golden Truth, and quite possibly.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I'm concerned suddenly that this is going to be a Life of Pi-esque situation, and when we see the magic ending it will be just a delusional version of this, but like, with bunnygirls or whatever.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
So far, the trick end is the one working off episode 4. My guess is the magic end is the one where she goes to meet Hachijou instead of getting on the boat, the one starting off episode 6.

Also, this is truly the <good> end.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ZiegeDame posted:

Dump them into the ocean

Just like that? Without any attempt to disfigure them to remove identifying features, or cutting them up? And even then, she'd have to take them out to deep sea, where there are no currents to bear them back to shore, because otherwise it's too much of a risk that a fishing crew would find them before rotting too much for identification- and even then, you'd better make sure they don't have any jewelry that could end up in a fish's belly.

These questions are kinda what bring the ending down for me: for all of the implied intelligence and ruthlessness of the reborn Ange, you'd think they'd be able to accomplish a more skillful murder than just capping two guys in a boat with a crew of three. Being your parent's child doesn't mean you should repeat your parents mistakes- in a more grievous manner too, as there is no bomb to remove this boat from existence. It means she has not truly grown... and thus she is incompetent, as are those before her. The curse continues.

These are the questions that have to be asked, if you want to reach the truth. If Ange's illusions don't hold up to even such rudimentary scrutiny as mine, how can they be called true magic?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheArchimage posted:

But what solid evidence does Ange have that she's right? None. It's all circumstantial evidence, and she decided beforehand that she would not accept any evidence contrary to her reasoning.

To be fair, when you've determined you're being tricked, there's little reason to accept evidence to the contrary from the one who's tricking you.

On our level of meta, that person would be R07.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Looking back at that scene with Kasumi it's really interesting like, foreshadowing of the kind of person Ange could become if she had stuck to revenge as her primary motivation for living. It feels like Kasumi did something similar regarding Kyrie and when Kyrie died the entire basis of her world fell out from under her, and things spiraled out. Being the brutally trained heir for a crime family didn't help matters there, but what Ange says in this ending is that Kasumi is such a raging sadist that even her own family wants her dead, because she no longer commits violent acts towards a purpose so much as violence is the purpose, presumably. And that's very similar to the perspective of Bernkastel, where Bernkastel is sadistic and destructive because if she stops to think and process her own emotions, she can't help but be torn up by all the pain she's been through.

And like, this is obvious stuff, I'm probably just restating stuff everyone's thought of, but if I had to pick one solid thing Umineko is about, it's the difference between coping and recovering. Nobody in this story has been really good at recovering. Even when Beatrice flips from being a cruel villain to an amoral ally, that's just a flip in perspective, it's not Sayo really getting better. And for a lot of characters, the chance to try to improve and heal and build something good from their pain is absolutely not there, because they're all dead. Ange's not dead. She can't snap her fingers and recover, trauma doesn't work like that, but it feels like this last arc has been all about the steps she needs to take as a person to start healing.

Like, she thinks she needs closure by finding out what actually happened on that day, but that's not actually what she needs, and learning the truth just pushes her further into a destructive spiral. Because you can't... like, you can't make your recovery contingent on other people. What Ange needed was not to be abused but she can't make that happen. She will never get the childhood she deserved by dint of being a person. And walking that line between allowing yourself to be upset by what happened to you but not letting that choke out everything else is hard. I hope she makes it. :unsmith:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

These are a lot of posts saying you all suddenly trust people in power to start doing right by Ange despite all the suspicious signs and scenes so far. Including Amakusa's secret instructions. I ain't sayin' but I'm just sayin'. :shrug:
I mean it's solid canon that there is at least one powerful group of people out to get Ange at this point in the timeline, and things have been so well coordinated against her that her paranoia is absolutely justified. It's just also true that people under pressure make bad decisions, and leaning into absolute first-strike self-defense isn't a great decision.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

I mean it's solid canon that there is at least one powerful group of people out to get Ange at this point in the timeline, and things have been so well coordinated against her that her paranoia is absolutely justified. It's just also true that people under pressure make bad decisions, and leaning into absolute first-strike self-defense isn't a great decision.

I disagree on the first strike thing. We know there are people around her, including family members, who are absolutely willing to murder her -- and she's basically a kid. She's smaller and weaker and less experienced. Surprise is the only thing on her side. Waiting to see if someone else will fire the first shot isn't a wise choice, even if it's a more loving one. What's his face the chairman is not on her side, unless you're willing to chalk up those scenes where he's planning behind her back about how to dispose of her or sideline her in order to control the family fortune as strictly her fantasies. It's fair to suspect that, but then we have to wonder exactly how many of the apparently mundane characters in the mostly mundane framing story of Ange's journey to Rokkenjima are, in fact, fantasy creatures just like Erika and Featherine.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

resurgam40 posted:

Just like that? Without any attempt to disfigure them to remove identifying features, or cutting them up? And even then, she'd have to take them out to deep sea, where there are no currents to bear them back to shore, because otherwise it's too much of a risk that a fishing crew would find them before rotting too much for identification- and even then, you'd better make sure they don't have any jewelry that could end up in a fish's belly.

These questions are kinda what bring the ending down for me: for all of the implied intelligence and ruthlessness of the reborn Ange, you'd think they'd be able to accomplish a more skillful murder than just capping two guys in a boat with a crew of three. Being your parent's child doesn't mean you should repeat your parents mistakes- in a more grievous manner too, as there is no bomb to remove this boat from existence. It means she has not truly grown... and thus she is incompetent, as are those before her. The curse continues.

These are the questions that have to be asked, if you want to reach the truth. If Ange's illusions don't hold up to even such rudimentary scrutiny as mine, how can they be called true magic?

Alright, let's do this. Let's plot a crime in reverse.

So the captain is the only person on that boat that anyone is actually going to miss. Should his body wash up somewhere besides Rokkenjima (where nobody would ever find it) it'd be really easy to blame his death on the professional mercenary/hitman. Should Amakusa's body also wash up, well, they were both killed by the favored gun of the Sumadera family, so there's plenty of suspects to pin it on besides the 18 year old girl, who could have easily fled to some tropical paradise with no extradition treaty long before any bodies would be discovered.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Also... look, even if currents carry the bodies to Rokkenjima, that's a lot of shoreline on an apparently unpopulated island. A lot of that shoreline isn't particularly reachable to judge by the cliffs incident. It's not an easy thing to find a body lost in the wilderness, much less one lost at sea. And there are a lot of crabs out there.

eta: don't do crimes!!!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I disagree on the first strike thing. We know there are people around her, including family members, who are absolutely willing to murder her -- and she's basically a kid. She's smaller and weaker and less experienced. Surprise is the only thing on her side. Waiting to see if someone else will fire the first shot isn't a wise choice, even if it's a more loving one. What's his face the chairman is not on her side, unless you're willing to chalk up those scenes where he's planning behind her back about how to dispose of her or sideline her in order to control the family fortune as strictly her fantasies. It's fair to suspect that, but then we have to wonder exactly how many of the apparently mundane characters in the mostly mundane framing story of Ange's journey to Rokkenjima are, in fact, fantasy creatures just like Erika and Featherine.
Yeah... I'm mostly disagreeing on the possibility of buying off her 'bodyguard' and the acceptability of the murder of the boat captain. The big problem Ange has is that her primary resource is money and money takes time to convert into solid protection and even fighting back, and if she dies other people get the money. It'll be interesting to see the way the magic ending goes.

EDIT: Also the first strike is a bad decision because long-term it's going to complicate things, not because it's bad for short term survival. I'm willing to concede that you need short term survival to get long term survival and that the situation is already extremely complicated and stacked against Ange, though. Maybe she should smuggle herself to Italy and change her name to Beatrice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I suspect the magic ending can be basically summed up as "Ange goes to see Hachijou instead of going to Rokkenjima, finds not-Battler, and Amakusa decides it's not really necessary to kill her because alive not-Battler presents a new element".

They're also close enough to Rokkenjima that I don't think Ange really needs to worry about their bodies going anywhere else. They're pretty much at the dock, after all, and there's a pretty solid chance that even if the Sumaderas find the bodies, they'll just quietly clean it up.

• Locked thread