Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean I assumed not but maybe I'm missing some context on why their wives (?) are acting that way.

The men appear to be gormless fuckwits who stare stupidly when their babies puke and the women understand that they have to take up the slack.

E: I guess the situation is familiar to me because I've been to endless barbecues where the men stand around drinking beer while their toddlers open the child-proof lock on the swimming pool while the mothers do all the damage control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Rall finally pulls back the curtain on who is really destroying America: pernicious audiophiles with their reel to reel decks

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

The men appear to be gormless fuckwits who stare stupidly when their babies puke and the women understand that they have to take up the slack.

E: I guess the situation is familiar to me because I've been to endless barbecues where the men stand around drinking beer while their toddlers open the child-proof lock on the swimming pool while the mothers do all the damage control.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but in this case they are holding the babies and talking about maternity leave abd the message seemed kind of clouded to me. I thought the wives' first reaction would be to tell their husbands to do a better job. I guess the unwritten context is that they tried that already and gave up.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Paternity leave is much more of a thing in Zelda Land, but still a matter of debate from what i understand.

The two men are showing off about how they are much more enlightened than those trogs that dont take an equal share of direct parental responsibility for newborns, when the mothers are still doing all the work.

Men Are Dumb Idiots seems to be the guiding theme behind many of the recent Zeldas.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Starshark posted:

It's literally a mirror image kelly cartoon you're meant to agree with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Glazier posted:

For a long time the right wing definition of Net Neutrality has been the broadcast fairness doctrine but for the Internet, so you have to believe that before Branco etc al. make sense.

Man I loving miss the fairness doctrine.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mallard just put an email address out there.

I know, I know, safari rules.

But it's out there. And we've all loving seen it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean, but in this case they are holding the babies and talking about maternity leave abd the message seemed kind of clouded to me. I thought the wives' first reaction would be to tell their husbands to do a better job. I guess the unwritten context is that they tried that already and gave up.

Studies have shown that not only do men consistently fail to do an equal share of domestic labor, they overestimate how much they do at every level. Zelda-land father's are patting themselves on the back for taking their paternity leave, while failing to sufficiently pitch in with the childcare and domestic labor that parental leave was created to deal with.

The amount of nitpicking and confusion all these feminism 101 strips are producing is pretty funny.
Zelda: Here's an obvious, broadly drawn hypocrisy or double standard about gender.
Goons: what could it meeaaan....?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

It's literally a mirror image kelly cartoon you're meant to agree with.

It gets worse. If you manually change the numbers in the file names on the site, you can find strips that are apparently intended for next week. There is no narrative in them, only "inspirational" feminist quotations. The worst ones:
Apparently, gobbling up "girly" stuff designed and manufactured by massive corporations is somehow a good thing.

Funny how a Swedish comic strip uses Anglo-american suffragettes instead of the activists that fought for the right to vote in that country prior to 1921.

For a fictional character, it is indeed not difficult to be better at something than other fictional characters. Also, this Charlotte Whitton person was apparently quite a racist.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 26, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Paternity leave is much more of a thing in Zelda Land, but still a matter of debate from what i understand.

The two men are showing off about how they are much more enlightened than those trogs that dont take an equal share of direct parental responsibility for newborns, when the mothers are still doing all the work.

Men Are Dumb Idiots seems to be the guiding theme behind many of the recent Zeldas.

Yea, it's literally just about "I took paternity leave without really understanding what responsibility that leaves me". And on top of that shows more of how many men, including those who mean well, don't really understand what goes into something like child care.

Maternity leave is important for everyone to be able to use. And it's annoying that part of the fight is trying to teach the men making these decisions that it's actually really loving hard to raise a child and have a full time job with no breaks. And so it's frustrating to see a man (or strawman, whatever floats your boat) who takes advantage of something that they really don't understand or care to understand.

there wolf posted:

The amount of nitpicking and confusion all these feminism 101 strips are producing is pretty funny.
Zelda: Here's an obvious, broadly drawn hypocrisy or double standard about gender.
Goons: what could it meeaaan....?

I'm at least grateful that we can actually show some goons even basic feminism stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Weirdo posted:

Santa making GBS threads down a chimney is great, but come on, St. Nicholas would be dropping logs at down at Maralago.

Don't be stupid. Santa can poo poo down everybody's chimney in one night, because he is magic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

For a fictional character, it is indeed not difficult to be better at something than other fictional characters. Also, this Charlotte Whitton person was apparently quite a racist.
For some reason it seems like early feminists was also racists. For example, Elise Ottesen-Jensen who fought for free abortion, the right for women to experience sexual pleasure and gay rights was also a huge fan of eugenics.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 26, 2017

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

So since Bill Leak has passed on and can't provide any more political cartoons, are you ready for the worst take on the SSM vote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCaEU-zSYQ

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That makes it seems like people are varying degrees of bad all throughout the past. I don't personally know yet whether we accept the good and acknowledge and critique the bad or what that would look like.

Also it should be noted for clarity that I'm an idiot so yea...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Paternity leave is good even if the dads are clueless idiots.

It means employers cannot use maternity leaves to discriminate against women (one of the most common argument to explain why it's logical and not sexism that women have lower wages is that they lose a few months of work to maternity leaves).

Kopijeger posted:

It gets worse. If you manually change the numbers in the file names on the site, you can find strips that are apparently intended for next week. There is no narrative in them, only "inspirational" feminist quotations. The worst ones:
Apparently, gobbling up "girly" stuff designed and manufactured by massive corporations is somehow a good thing.

Important note to all parents and potential parents out there: do not, not even in the name of feminism, raise your sons to be bronies. Thank you.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Cat Mattress posted:

Important note to all parents and potential parents out there: do not, not even in the name of feminism, raise your sons to be bronies. Thank you.

Are cat ears still okay? /s

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alhazred posted:

For some reason it seems like early feminists was also racists. For example, Elise Ottesen-Jensen who fought for free abortion, the right for women to experience sexual pleasure and gay rights was also a huge fan of eugenics.
Most any 19th / start of 20th century progressive you care to name was a huge fan of eugenics, because eugenics was a progressive cause. Take that information and do with it as you will.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Nevertheless, she would have been a better candidate for a mention in the strip than any of those quoted. I wonder if Lina Neidestam even knows that she existed? The characters in the strip certainly namedrop high-profile Americans often enough, but never Swedish or Scandinavian ones even when it would be apropos.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

The message looks like "guys think taking care of a baby is easy because they can just hand it to the mother whenever there's a problem"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

there wolf posted:

Studies have shown that not only do men consistently fail to do an equal share of domestic labor, they overestimate how much they do at every level. Zelda-land father's are patting themselves on the back for taking their paternity leave, while failing to sufficiently pitch in with the childcare and domestic labor that parental leave was created to deal with.
I guess this bit is some of the context I failed to consider.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kopijeger posted:

Funny how a Swedish comic strip uses Anglo-american suffragettes instead of the activists that fought for the right to vote in that country prior to 1921.

Sweden is ridiculously progressive and the Swedish equality issues would be laughable in a comic for international readers.

For example.

In Sweden women get 7 weeks paid maternity leave before and 7 weeks after the birth of the baby

After that the family gets 480 days of paid leave to take care of the kid. These days can be distributed however the family likes except that 90 days for the sake of equality are earmarked for the other parent.

So the mother can't take 480 days, she can take 390 days and the father must use the other 90 days if they want to be paid for those.

The argument for this system is that otherwise there are huge tendencies for families to end up with the woman taking all 480 days. This way the government forces the dad to take 90 days too.

However if you have a family where one parent earns a lot more money than the other then the family benefits more from if that parent keeps working while the other stays at home. This system "forces" the better earning parent to either stay at home or the family has to settle for just 390 days.

There's also the argument that the women always take the first set of days (breastfeeding and all) which is when the baby is the worst. When the baby then calms down a bit the dad takes over and has a relatively chill time at home. This is then state enforced and the family themselves have no saying about it.

Some want the days split right down the middle for both parents to take half each.

This is a Swedish equality issue.

How do you make a comic about this for an international audience?

Katt fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 26, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean I assumed not but maybe I'm missing some context on why their wives (?) are acting that way.

Zelda sucks, that's why.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Zelda is a cool and good comic.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Instead of working yourself into a tizzy arguing about noted controversial comic Zelda, it's SUNDAY! So enjoy some delicious, relaxing, and subversively political Prince Valiant! Featuring: Grok the Groper and his wicked sick ghost animal friends

seriously check out the croc riding the evil turtle. Hell yes

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Val wouldn't be in such a predicament if he just put on some drat pants. The only reason he's tripping balls unlike the other people is because the killer mosquitoes stung him in the dick.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

gowb posted:

Instead of working yourself into a tizzy arguing about noted controversial comic Zelda, it's SUNDAY! So enjoy some delicious, relaxing, and subversively political Prince Valiant! Featuring: Grok the Groper and his wicked sick ghost animal friends

seriously check out the croc riding the evil turtle. Hell yes

Prince Valiant is rad but also there's literally decades of it and the old one had even more words.

Val was also more likely to just straight up brutally murder a dude in those, because it was a different time in the newspapers.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Unless I'm missing something here, raising sons to not hate femininity =/= raising them to be a Brony. In fact I'm pretty certain the Brony problem was because Bronies had been raised to hate femininity hence why they brought their inherent misogyny into the fandom of a series that was specifically created to be against misogyny.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chimera-gui posted:

Unless I'm missing something here, raising sons to not hate femininity =/= raising them to be a Brony. In fact I'm pretty certain the Brony problem was because Bronies were raised to hate femininity hence bringing their misogyny into the fandom of a series that was specifically created to be against misogyny.

There was a pony toy in the comic.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I see the toy but it is rather irrelevant here and focusing on it for no reason kinda misses the point completely. Actually, I'm sure what the point of even posting that one here was in the first place.

As someone with a niece, I've seen many shows intended for girls with her up to and including MLP. And while they're not my personal cup of tea, I don't see any issue with watching it as long as you're not a misogynist trying to twist the series around yourself which was why the Bronies were bad in the first place.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jesus Christ dude the brony post was obviously a joke

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Zelda sucks, that's why.

The Legend of Zelda - The Attack of the Mildly Annoying Strawmen.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Chimera-gui posted:

I see the toy but it is rather irrelevant here and focusing on it for no reason kinda misses the point completely. Actually, I'm sure what the point of even posting that one here was in the first place.

As someone with a niece, I've seen many shows intended for girls with her up to and including MLP. And while they're not my personal cup of tea, I don't see any issue with watching it as long as you're not a misogynist trying to twist the series around yourself which was why the Bronies were bad in the first place.

Sometimes the essence of comedy is missing the point.

Also, I understand the pissing comic was more about the double standard, but seriously, don't pee in common areas in general. You loving monsters.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ann Telnaes and David Pope.

https://twitter.com/davpope/status/934418035003219968

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i guess that explains why he knows so much about perspective

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Philip Hammond falls victim to Brexit fall-out – Chris Riddell on the budget – and animal welfare"

Sunday Telegraph:

Liam Fox: Northern Irish border cannot be settled until EU trade deal agree After John Gilroy.

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Huh. Never knew "Up poo poo creek without a paddle" was an international phrase.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Observer:

"Philip Hammond falls victim to Brexit fall-out – Chris Riddell on the budget – and animal welfare"

Why is that elephant standing in front of a pile of mud?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I like "tax deform".

Meanwhile, there's a bunch of other things that are going to Make America Great Again in preparation:

So we have a country that is going to disincentivize higher education, legally enforce conservative views, and use corporate power to silence dissent.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Starshark posted:

Why is that elephant standing in front of a pile of mud?

:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

SOME. loving. GIZMO.

Did something happen or did this guy just feel like randomly screaming into the void?

• Locked thread