Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought the idea that giving each gun its own distinct identity sounded a lot better than random loot rolls and grinding your best perks and I really liked the nuts & bolts discussion of how fun testing in a non-combat situation doesn’t really represent what the guns are capable of.

But I never played Destiny 1 so I guess I don’t have the Arcane vitriol that seems to fuel most of you seething below the surface.

Yeah Random rolls were mostly a recipe for frustration. You're just adding another layer of RNG on top of the current loot drop RNG. If people want to replicate it keep a d20 on your desk and roll it every time you get a drop, if you roll 20 keep the gun else shard it because it was a crap roll.

I would really like to see the ability to flat-out buy pieces from vendors though, for extra tokens. Collecting sets is fun.

Also, I'm sorta :shrug: on the XP debacle. It was poorly implemented, but taking the least evil reading of it, I suspect the purpose was make it so that PE's were not "better" than Crucible/Strikes which would lead to bitching about how "only Public Events are worth doing". It's not like Bright Engrams are Terribly hard to gain, you get an easy 9 per week across all your toons. It makes sense given how PE's are short and filled with XP gain opportunities (every enemy killed, including several elites) whereas Crucible is mostly about getting one big lump sum at the end, with kills being a less reliable source.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Then IMPROVE the rewards in other places. The throttling was to sell more eververse bucks. They only care because they were caught.

And the throttling was making even the x3 experience useless. It wasn't just chaining events. My exp bar stopped moving in all activities before they rolled back whatever the gently caress they were doing.

Norns fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 26, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

QuasiQuack posted:

Chaotic is good when it comes to quick play, that's how it should be.

There really should be options.

If you want to be super serious ladder fightmans then 4x4 it up. If you just want to gently caress around then drop in drop out 12x12 or more capture the flag with sparrows, plentiful ammo, and extremely short respawn timers where stupid chaos reigns.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I just want a solo queue.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I usually keep an eye on the roster menu and drop out of queue if I get matched against 3 or 4-stacks :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Like I actually have a pretty good time solo till I run into sweaty teams warming up for trials or whatever

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Actually had a good solo game where me and a bunch of randos beat a three stack and I finally got the Titan IB helmet.

I'm afraid to que again cause it's only gonna go down from there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
4v4 is good for Trials. It is bad for everything else.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kessel posted:

There is literally no Asia region for Destiny 2 in the dropdown selector, only US and EU. I live in Southeast Asia and we can’t choose anything else.

I'm glad we have a solution to this problem that worked perfectly fine and then consoles got stable online pay and no one will let us people set up their own servers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the difference between Quickplay and Iron Banner?

And jeeze, this Iron Banner challenge to kill someone while they're using a super is kinda frustrating.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

What's the difference between Quickplay and Iron Banner?

And jeeze, this Iron Banner challenge to kill someone while they're using a super is kinda frustrating.

Iron Banner is from like Friday to reset once a month. It has a separate set of challenges, tokens and rewards. It's the same game mode for the length of the event, in this case Clash. Iron Banana is basically Quickplay for people who want to look like samurai.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Iron Banner is from like Friday to reset once a month. It has a separate set of challenges, tokens and rewards. It's the same game mode for the length of the event, in this case Clash. Iron Banana is basically Quickplay for people who want to look like samurai.

To clarify, IB lasts exactly one week, from reset to reset.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did Heroic Strikes have a milestone in D1? I don't really know what the point of adding them in the expansion is when most people have 300 level characters, and if they don't, it takes like ten minutes to get there with 300+ weapons.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Ledhed posted:

To clarify, IB lasts exactly one week, from reset to reset.

So when people talk about Iron banner seasons does that mean that this is season one or does the season not change until expansions come out or...??

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Budgie posted:

So when people talk about Iron banner seasons does that mean that this is season one or does the season not change until expansions come out or...??

Seasons change with the release of the expansion it sounds like. You only have this IB to get the season emblem, but they said you'll still be able to get the gear next season.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Does anybody have the .ini string to unbind the mousewheel? I'm starting to get sick of accidentally rocketing myself in the face.

Edit: Someone said it was an .ini, but it's actually an XML. If you edit cvars.xml at %appdata%\Bungie\DestinyPC\prefs you can change next weapon and previous weapon to unused!unused.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 26, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Shifty Pony posted:

I would like to report that Watermelon, Nebula Rose, and Dawn and Dusk go fantastically together.

I am a walking affront to the very idea of fashion. Tess Everis gags when she sees me transmat in.

Brother. You are not an affront, you are pushing its very boundaries.

Indigo Matrix/Veist Poison Shimmer:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I don't care about xp. I was getting bright engrams at a more than generous clip. I just wish the game would make up its mind about grinding. You give me 1 token for completing a heroic event, the same as opening a random chest. You make getting a reward for the tokens cost 30 or 40 or so. You make the items we want drop randomly with the same garbage guns we're just going to scrap over and over so I have to keep turning in piles of tokens to try and get what I want. Then you secretly stop putting things in chests after a short amount of time trying to get those tokens?

This isn't even a subscription based game! Why are the rewards so garbage, and why are we being punished for working harder to compensate??

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the chest loot limit is ridiculous considering you can find 5 chests within 30 seconds in giants scar on io

random engrams also suck rear end

but i dont really get all the hate for destiny 2

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Waffle House posted:

The sad thing is that stills don't really give more than a taste of the iridescent shaders. You need to see them in motion really get their full flavor.

That fur is :discourse: btw.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

If you're looking to farm tokens you want to do the planet challenges on three characters.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

Yeah, the region affects who you see and what your friends list populates with. You’ll still have your same characters

edit - applied to 2 chill 2 serious as Mangoes#1666
I got you, friendo.

On a related note, did someone here with the battletag Clockwork#1771 (I think that's what it is, Bungie's clan management interface is garbo) apply to Guardians of Chillbear? The clan's only got one more spot and I can't find a hit on Discord with your name but if you can respond here I'll invite you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's all this about exp and loot chests? is this something I need to worry about before level 20?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Shifty Pony posted:

The sad thing is that stills don't really give more than a taste of the iridescent shaders. You need to see them in motion really get their full flavor.

That fur is :discourse: btw.

I fully embrace space fashion.

Armor with fur linings, oversized pauldrons, weird plate-shapes, pointy nibs and bits, sick embossed wolves/thunder-chickens, helmet GoPros (Nessus/FWC Simulator set), old-school astronaut aesthetic, etc. are pro as gently caress to me

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 26, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Digirat posted:

What's all this about exp and loot chests? is this something I need to worry about before level 20?

experience - players discovered that xp gain was rigged so bungie changed that - https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46494
loot chests - there's a limit on how many you can open in a short period of time (5 in 5 minutes?)
not something you should worry about now or ever

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Waffle House posted:

Your pants and arms match, that's hosed. You should slap that shiny pearly pink/purple shader on one of those slots right now.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cheap Shot posted:

I don't care about xp. I was getting bright engrams at a more than generous clip. I just wish the game would make up its mind about grinding. You give me 1 token for completing a heroic event, the same as opening a random chest. You make getting a reward for the tokens cost 30 or 40 or so. You make the items we want drop randomly with the same garbage guns we're just going to scrap over and over so I have to keep turning in piles of tokens to try and get what I want. Then you secretly stop putting things in chests after a short amount of time trying to get those tokens?

This isn't even a subscription based game! Why are the rewards so garbage, and why are we being punished for working harder to compensate??

Because Bungie threw out everything learned over D1’s life because they thought that pvp balance was more important than fun

The shootman loop in D1 is so much funnier, you’re quicker, have better and more frequent powers, and your guns are better in every way. It’s really terrible what they did to D2.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Oxyclean posted:

Check the enemy classes/super status and once you see them start to come online (it usually happens around the same time) either camp heavy ammo with something like a rocket launcher, or be playing a class that can easily one-shot like voidwalker, gunslinger, or striker. Usually works for me. You can see super status on the top bar:

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Applied to SNEK as VikingHelmet#11586

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I've opened 8 Iron Banner engrams and pulled 4 of the auto rifle and 4 of the scout rifle. This game is so loving stupid.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Wait like 10 seconds between engram turn-ins, it seems like it lowers the dupes by quite a bit. I notice lots of dupes when I just click all of them one after another and much less if I space it out a bit.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am kinda digging the endgame of Destiny 2. Basically I don't have to play daily if I don't want to. Just focus on getting gud at PVP and chill/raid with friends once a week. Eventually, I will ensemble the most excellent armor/shader combo from the chaos.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wilekat posted:

I've opened 8 Iron Banner engrams and pulled 4 of the auto rifle and 4 of the scout rifle. This game is so loving stupid.
I've opened 12 and I'm at 2x AR, 2x fusion rifle, 2x cloak, 2x chest, 1x helm. Hoping I can get the gloves/boots before this event ends but it's all up to the whims of a stupid, entirely-RNG system. I'm still waiting on a Better Devils, which is getting frustrating, but at least I know it'll happen eventually. RNG-only gear in a fairly brief event is a whole different kind of frustrating.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah Random rolls were mostly a recipe for frustration. You're just adding another layer of RNG on top of the current loot drop RNG. If people want to replicate it keep a d20 on your desk and roll it every time you get a drop, if you roll 20 keep the gun else shard it because it was a crap roll.

I would really like to see the ability to flat-out buy pieces from vendors though, for extra tokens. Collecting sets is fun.

Also, I'm sorta :shrug: on the XP debacle. It was poorly implemented, but taking the least evil reading of it, I suspect the purpose was make it so that PE's were not "better" than Crucible/Strikes which would lead to bitching about how "only Public Events are worth doing". It's not like Bright Engrams are Terribly hard to gain, you get an easy 9 per week across all your toons. It makes sense given how PE's are short and filled with XP gain opportunities (every enemy killed, including several elites) whereas Crucible is mostly about getting one big lump sum at the end, with kills being a less reliable source.

Least evil? It's Activision. They might not be mind-numbingly incompetent at not broadcasting their ill intentions like EA but let's not kid ourselves here. I would not be surprised if the reason vendors are out and lootboxes are in was to make the Eververse paid lootboxes stand out less.

Edit: Plus a potential pay silver to buy exactly what you want from other lootboxes in the future option if EA hadn't suddenly lit the lootbox batsignal.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Got kicked out of the game on the final shield on Calus challenge mode :shepicide:

My only comfort is having completed it before and the fact I would probably just get dupes :negative:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wilekat posted:

27 so far, still no arms. Just let me buy them for like 100 tokens or something.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eej posted:

Your pants and arms match, that's hosed. You should slap that shiny pearly pink/purple shader on one of those slots right now.

No you see using the same or similar shaders on the arms and feet shows that you have the knowledge and ability to make things match but chose not to.

I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding how I feel about Be Thy Cipher. On the one hand it has dragons on it, but on the other hand shaders don't really make a difference so I can't make it really pop. I'm leaning towards "dragons>>color" though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just doing the daily IB challenges. Get loaded into a game and instantly get 2 tokens. What? I look at the scoreboard. It's 37 - 10 it put me in a game that we instantly lost :thumbsup:

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I got my full titan IB set minus arms, which is fine bc synthoceps. kind of enjoying the endgame where the gear is preference and the numbers barely matter.

disappointed that war rig won't load coldheart. also can't decide between origin story and scathelock for pve, same with 7-6-5 and manananaman. cool that there are this many options for dunking on PEs and grinding strike tokens.

what are people using as casual pve weapon sets? what about raid/nightfall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shifty Pony posted:

No you see using the same or similar shaders on the arms and feet shows that you have the knowledge and ability to make things match but chose not to.

I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding how I feel about Be Thy Cipher. On the one hand it has dragons on it, but on the other hand shaders don't really make a difference so I can't make it really pop. I'm leaning towards "dragons>>color" though.
I'm using the Vanguard bond from Zavala tokens because it has a big glowing holographic vanguard logo on it and I gotta show my sponsorship in the space NASCAR thug life.

• Locked thread