Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

And you guys think this is due to Whitaker's race?

I'm not being argumentative and haven't seen the movie, just trying to clarify what I'm reading. If I'm getting it right, you're saying they had to make FW a "bad guy" because a brown person was committing terrorism even though the film went out of its way to justify it as a force for good?

Is that right?

I don't think this was an intentional decision on their part at first, but it's a movie where Diego Luna and Forest Whitaker are at first cynical, ruthless, and dangerous, and are on the same side as and are criminals just the same as Jyn, who is this more glamorized image of a heroic rebel kind of person whom everyone's lives are improved by meeting even though they're in the same line of work. Jyn and FW's characters had a long history together, but this is only mentioned briefly, like she is, in theory, just as bad as these other folks, and the film's creators went into it talking about how this would be a movie where the Rebellion isn't necessarily all good. But the movie that got released takes great pains to separate the violence we see from Diego Luna/etc.'s characters are BAD and a separate thing from the GOOD violence the folks secretly funding them and Jyn fall into this default designation of.

FW's character was originally in the Clone Wars CG series for a few episodes, and I think they actually handled him and what was going on around him better in that.

As the movie goes on, you can see what they wanted to do was show those earlier leaders of the rebellion to be hypocrites for that very reason, that they're a bunch of privileged who's lives aren't effected much one way or the other sending these other characters out to do violent stuff and die heroically with no recognition so they can sit in their secret base and feel proud about how they're fighting for the good old days. But depending on what you take from it you could definitely say it endorses what it's criticizing.

I liked the movie overall but you can tell it was pandering in that respect, a lot of big talk is brought up but the actual stuff behind the action is watered down. It's actually still on Netflix if you want to check it out, it at least looks beautiful and does have a really really good cast and some cool stuff going on in it. I respect that despite those other issues it's still a Disney movie where every main character despite all the super important stuff they pulled off are unceremoniously killed off and completely forgotten. That was genuinely effective for me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

It's due to the fact that Disney wants broad appeal and if there is controversy over the content of a film, they'd prefer that it be totally superficial.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not being argumentative and haven't seen the movie, just trying to clarify what I'm reading. If I'm getting it right, you're saying they had to make FW a "bad guy" because a brown person was committing terrorism even though the film went out of its way to justify it as a force for good?

Is that right?

No

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is there a Cyborg-themed Magic Shave formula?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Please. Don't be stupid.

Cyborg's would be selling chamois cloths and buffing heads.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

Of the 17+ Iron Man movies, only 2 or 3 are ideologically left of centre - and those are among the earliest, before the formula was firmly established.

The series is overwhelmingly libertarian, and its various takes on race relations are no exception. In The Winter Soldier, Samuel L. Jackson’ Nick Fury has an encounter with ‘racist’ cops, but this is presented as the conflict between a black minarchist hero and the Jewish plot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

Magnolia, Tropic Thunder, A Few Good Men? The Outsiders? Taps? I'd hesitate to call those "Tom Cruise Movies".

The point is fair although I'd quibble a bit. He's playing a bit comedy part in Tropic Thunder that actually DOES get a center stage. Taps and Outsiders are going back to the start of his career before he'd after any real power. Even a Few Good Men is 25 years ago and Magnolia 18. But you've definitely listed movies where he can a part of the greater sum of a movie, so mea culpa. I guess I'd amend my judgment to a more modern view of Tom Cruise.

As for the original topic, I did a little reading about The Mummy and it sounds like he brought in a relatively inexperienced director who had previously worked with, the script got rewritten by writers he had previously worked with, and the editor was a guy he had previously worked with. So there does seem to be a lot of evidence to suggest Cruise "took over" the film. The stuff I read basically accepted that as fact and merely quibbled about whether doing so ruined it by focusing the film around Cruise or just tried to salvage a bad production. Which we probably can't know.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 26, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tropic Thunder features him playing a fat balding awful human being that some how manages to be the worst thing in the world.

It is not a Cruise movie and he was 'center stage' because his character was amazing

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of the 17+ Iron Man movies, only 2 or 3 are ideologically left of centre - and those are among the earliest, before the formula was firmly established.

The series is overwhelmingly libertarian, and its various takes on race relations are no exception. In The Winter Soldier, Samuel L. Jackson’ Nick Fury has an encounter with ‘racist’ cops, but this is presented as the conflict between a black minarchist hero and the Jewish plot.

What Marvel movies are leftist? The first Captain America maybe and...?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Burkion posted:

Tropic Thunder features him playing a fat balding awful human being that some how manages to be the worst thing in the world.

It is not a Cruise movie and he was 'center stage' because his character was amazing

I'm not knocking it. It was funny. I'm just saying I'm not sure it really makes a point about Cruise "blending in" to a production. True, he's just one gag character in an ensemble of gag characters but he gets his own little stage to perform on.

But like, I'm willing to grant that there's at least 1 movie in the last 20 years that Cruise was in that wasn't a "Tom Cruise Movie." I don't think that disputes the general idea, which like isn't some hardened theory I have. Just my basic impression of Tom Cruise these days. I've watched a lot of Cruise movies and enjoyed many of them, but when I know Cruise is in there I'm kind of making a conscious decision to watch a "Tom Cruise Movie" 9 out of 10 times.

That's not in and of itself a horrible thing. He's far from the only decades established movie star who dominates productions.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yaws posted:

IM3 kinda

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ant Man is basically a weird mix of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

...Hulk 2 (which presents Stark as an unambiguous villain) and Iron Man 2 (which retains elements of that mindset despite executive meddling, and functions as a really bleak satire).

Iron Man 3 is absolutely not.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hulk 2?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

S.J. posted:

Hulk 2?

Electric Boogaloo

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

S.J. posted:

Hulk 2?

The Incredible Hulk

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

The Incredible Hulk

No, clearly he means The Trial of the Incredible Hulk.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

In all fairness to Rogue One, I feel that there's a benefit to how it's changed; the original concept would have hit harder on the message but had niche appeal which means it would be more likely to have an audience that already agrees with the premise. It lost some edge by becoming more mainstream, but that also comes with having more mainstream appeal.

Also Whitaker doesn't really end up a Vader fascimilie outside of appearance; we only see one negative instance of his group (the city fight, and even that doesn't lean on them being bad). The scene with implications of torture has no "payoff"; it's described as unpleasant, but the deserter leaves unharmed in the long run.

Admittedly, I'm a bit soft on R1 because I like the ancillary message of "it's not actually possible to be apolitical"

Whitaker is totally Rebel Darth Vader and a big part of Rogue One's very obvious "both sides are bad, there are no real heroes in war" theme, and it couldn't be more obvious when he tortures people to no benefit. "Torture is bad and doesn't even work" was as well known to normal people in 1977 as it was to the writers of Rogue One, go figure.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

Whitaker is totally Rebel Darth Vader and a big part of Rogue One's very obvious "both sides are bad, there are no real heroes in war" theme, and it couldn't be more obvious when he tortures people to no benefit. "Torture is bad and doesn't even work" was as well known to normal people in 1977 as it was to the writers of Rogue One, go figure.

Uh there was totally a benefit to torturing the guy in that instance: He needed to make sure the Death Star was real and not a trap. Its why he is scared shitless when Erso talks to him because he knows for sure that the entire rebellion is hosed.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

...Hulk 2 (which presents Stark as an unambiguous villain) and Iron Man 2 (which retains elements of that mindset despite executive meddling, and functions as a really bleak satire).

Iron Man 3 is absolutely not.

SMG, have you seen all the Marvel films?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

SMG, have you seen all the Marvel films?

He's seen at least one

so yes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Uh there was totally a benefit to torturing the guy in that instance: He needed to make sure the Death Star was real and not a trap. Its why he is scared shitless when Erso talks to him because he knows for sure that the entire rebellion is hosed.

No. He still anticipates a trap after he tortures him.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Electric Boogaloo

I want this :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

He's seen at least one

so yes

It would have been a spicier take to ask if he's seen Justice League.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It would have been a spicier take to ask if he's seen Justice League.

Speaking of, have you seen Justice League SMG?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/934875127027658752

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Now Ayer is just playing himself. Batman was absolutely a better main bad guy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Did we ever get extra Joker scenes somewhere?So much of Jared's performance was cut, right?
I thought he was fantastic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

Did we ever get extra Joker scenes somewhere?So much of Jared's performance was cut, right?
I thought he was fantastic.

Ayer actually talked a bit about that

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/934836779621818368

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

K. Waste posted:

Now Ayer is just playing himself. Batman was absolutely a better main bad guy.

Think Ayer was referring to The Joker being the main villain in Suicide Squad, not BvS.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

teagone posted:

Think Ayer was referring to The Joker being the main villain in Suicide Squad, not BvS.

Batman is also the main villain of SS, what with his being instrumental in funneling human chattel to Waller and then using his cryptic wealth to cover up a botched military experiment and absolving her of complicity in the deaths of numerous American civilians and civil servants.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I believe you are referring to the Oscar award winning film Suicide Squad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Neo Rasa posted:

I believe you are referring to the Oscar award winning film Suicide Squad.

The costumes were really good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

K. Waste posted:

Batman is also the main villain of SS, what with his being instrumental in funneling human chattel to Waller and then using his cryptic wealth to cover up a botched military experiment and absolving her of complicity in the deaths of numerous American civilians and civil servants.

:aaaaa:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Batman is not a hero nor should he used as a source of inspiration or something to aspire to. He is in fact the Bad Man.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

K. Waste posted:

The costumes were really good.

I think it won for makeup and hair. El Diablo's tats and Croc in general are probably the standout.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
As funny as it is to say "Academy Award Winner Suicide Squad" it definitely deserved to beat the two movies it was up against.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The MSJ posted:

I think it won for makeup and hair. El Diablo's tats and Croc in general are probably the standout.

Dammit, that's right. Overall point still stands. Oscars are bullshit, SS having good production design is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Honestly it all just seemed like normal visuals. I can't see how they won anything or whatever. I mean they were okay I guess, but I've seen the same exact quality of hair and makeup on (good) TV shows, I would think.

Maybe I'm conflating CGI with physical makeup or whatever. But whatever. It's not like the Oscars do anything more than act as a marketing device or industry ego fluffer anyways.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 27, 2017

• Locked thread