Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

Has there ever been a hire hated by the fanbase at the announcement? I don't ever recall backlash like this before. I wonder if it will be enough to rescind the offer. Vols fans online are talking about dropping all their gear in front of the ADs house.

Not that I can remember, even with the Dooley and Butch hires at worst Tennessee fans (there were a few that were rightly pissed) were basically just “huh? Alright well I guess we’ll see what he can do”

I gotta day that I am proud of the fan base for the backlash because it’s not about “he’s not Gruden!” It’s “he’s a piece of poo poo and enabled the rape of children”, which is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Crotch Bat posted:

VolNation is working at a crawl currently but the top thread is "It's Schiano! Get a rope" and I'm just :allears:

quote:

502 Bad Gateway

Seems like an apt description of this hire

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Has there ever been a hire hated by the fanbase at the announcement? I don't ever recall backlash like this before. I wonder if it will be enough to rescind the offer. Vols fans online are talking about dropping all their gear in front of the ADs house.

Mike D’Antoni with the Lakers maybe, but not for a reason this valid.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

If Schiano isn’t the guy Currie is gonna be so pissed at whoever leaked that

but if it's not schiano, any hire is better cause it's not schiano :thunk:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

what's the downside on Mullen? I honestly haven't followed MSU that much

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Qwijib0 posted:

Even Al Golden?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

I just meant because he’s ultimately being bombarded for no reason because someone leaked incorrect information.

4* DB Jaycee Horn just decommited from UT

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
child rape bitch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ehud posted:

He ain't won nothin' Pawwwlll

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Ehud posted:

He never got MSU over the hump but that's about it. Did as much as he could there. Good hire I think.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not that I can remember, even with the Dooley and Butch hires at worst Tennessee fans (there were a few that were rightly pissed) were basically just “huh? Alright well I guess we’ll see what he can do”

I gotta day that I am proud of the fan base for the backlash because it’s not about “he’s not Gruden!” It’s “he’s a piece of poo poo and enabled the rape of children”, which is cool and good.

This is a thousand times more about him not seeming like a great hire than what he did at PSU. If Greg Schiano was an amazing, can't-miss HC your fanbase wouldn't say poo poo (they wouldn't be unique among fanbases).

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I texted Currie. gently caress him if this is his choice for our program.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Schiano is an rear end in a top hat, but I would say that him being a no-name 20-something position coach at the time he was at Penn State probably merits a bit of consideration, just like how the public has been a bit more forgiving of McQueary (at least it seems that way).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ehud posted:

Worst I can say is he’s generally a good offensive playcaller, but he gets too cute sometimes and makes some fairly dumb coaching decisions. His system is also really dependent on having a QB who can both run and throw well, but he seems really good at developing those guys, so he should be fine. Biggest issue with that at Florida is if he makes guys look good too early they’ll leave for the draft and he will constantly be grooming a young QB instead of working with an experienced one, which is what he’s had during his best seasons at MSU.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

This is a thousand times more about him not seeming like a great hire than what he did at PSU. If Greg Schiano was an amazing, can't-miss HC your fanbase wouldn't say poo poo (they wouldn't be unique among fanbases).

Nope. Go look at Tennessee message boards. Read what people are posting here. Yes there are people bitching about him going just above .500 in the Big East (missing the point that he did it at Rutgers) but there are several more people posting about the child rape cover up and Currie saying we needed a high character guy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ockytop/comments/7fmsit/comment/dqdf03y

This is me saying I think he’s a good college coach but also that I dont want him because he’s a huge piece of poo poo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Notre Dame and Ty Willingham, but that wasn't because of football reasons.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Nope. Go look at Tennessee message boards. Read what people are posting here. Yes there are people bitching about him going just above .500 in the Big East (missing the point that he did it at Rutgers) but there are several more people posting about the child rape cover up and Currie saying we needed a high character guy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ockytop/comments/7fmsit/comment/dqdf03y

This is me saying I think he’s a good college coach but also that I dont want him because he’s a huge piece of poo poo.

But what I'm saying is where were those posts a week ago or whatever when his name first started really popping up seriously. The PSU stuff is an easy excuse instead of asking to be trusted for your gut feeling that he sucks (either is fine, I'm not judging). If Greg Schiano had Chris Peterson's record the "but he was involved with PSU" stuff would be a very quiet minority.

If your fanbase was as serious about this as it seems then why wasn't this done a week ago so your AD could see how insanely unpopular he'd be with the fans and why and maybe not bother interviewing him further or whatever.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

Wrong there, buddy. Yes, his record is being mentioned, but people are really calling him garbage because he literally witnessed a child being raped and said nothing about it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s probably more because a week or whatever ago nobody thought it was a real thing so it was largely dismissed, if even talked about.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

ive watched a decent amount of Mississippi state games the last few years and I think Mullen tends to make some poor in game decisions. I'm skeptical he is good enough to last in a big job. I don't think he is a terrible hire really, maybe I'm wrong, and well he did take Mississippi loving state to #1, but i'd be surprised if he works out long term.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Ehud posted:

Good offensive coach. Looked good because he had Dak Prescott. He also encourages his players to stomp on other players and generally encourages dirty stuff that will usually get overlooked. But he's a players first coach so he'll defend his players to the dickens, and you don't have to worry about him making stuff up to the press about death threats

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

General Dog posted:

What was the response to Mike Riley? It's a totally different thing since he's a consensus all-around good guy, but basically everyone thought it was a bad hire and a downgrade from Pelini on day 1, didn't they?

Basically everyone I know IRL was cautiously optimistic, but mostly they were just happy to get rid of Pelini and hire such a swell guy. Everyone on here said it was a surprising and bad hire immediately.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/JasonZacharyTN/status/934881535844585472

I don't ever remember politicians weighing in on a coach hire before? hahahaha

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Wrong there, buddy. Yes, his record is being mentioned, but people are really calling him garbage because he literally witnessed a child being raped and said nothing about it.

Tho this is a perfectly good reason to not hire a person

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crotch Bat posted:

But what I'm saying is where were those posts a week ago or whatever when his name first started really popping up seriously. The PSU stuff is an easy excuse instead of asking to be trusted for your gut feeling that he sucks (either is fine, I'm not judging). If Greg Schiano had Chris Peterson's record the "but he was involved with PSU" stuff would be a very quiet minority.

If your fanbase was as serious about this as it seems then why wasn't this done a week ago so your AD could see how insanely unpopular he'd be with the fans and why and maybe not bother interviewing him further or whatever.

Because most of us thought he wasn’t a serious candidate?

That said I don’t think he is bad coach, and he could be a lot better than any of our coaches since Fulmer. That said the PSU bothers me and might make it impossible for me to continue to be a Tennessee football fan. I almost quit over Jones (betraying your team bullshit), but this might be it for me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ehud posted:

He has a bad record against AP top 25 but the fact that his record against top opponents is even a consideration at Mississippi loving state shows what a great job he’s done there. Oh and his wife doesn’t like UF fans I guess.

I’m pretty stoked for the Dan Mullen era and having a guy who can develop QBs again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chizik was pretty close. And y’all had a fire Zook website before he’d ever coached, back when that wasn’t a common thing.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean poo poo while we’re at it let’s go all in and get Briles as OC

A bunch of y’all were already unironically saying you’d take Kiffin, who literally did this.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mullen will be a great coach to get UF up to some respectable baseline again then in like 4-5 years when he hasn't beaten Smart and UGA for the East you can jettison him and pool a bunch of money and get that super top-flight coach you really want.

At worst you could say he doesn't know how to break through the glass ceiling but with an elephant standing on top of that ceiling you maybe can't totally blame him.

It's a good hire and the fact he was like your 3rd choice is also fine.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

A bunch of y’all were already unironically saying you’d take Kiffin, who literally did this.

*take Kiffin instead of Schiano or whatever Google Coach. Nobody seriously wants Kiffin back, nor was saying it seriously. You can’t be that dumb.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
lol goodness

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Winkie01 posted:

If he was a republican running for office I’m sure Zachary would be saying fake news.

It is hard to compare online reality to actual reality, but if the internet is any indication I would be surprised if they actually go through with the hire. Even the local media has come out against this.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

*take Kiffin instead of Schiano or whatever Google Coach. Nobody seriously wants Kiffin back, nor was saying it seriously. You can’t be that dumb.

If your proof for "we don't want Schiano bc of PSU" was message board posts then uh

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/284614-suddenly-kiffen-doesnt-look-bad.html

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Steele get another shot as HC somewhere (not for a team I follow though).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mullen isn't the sexiest choice, but whiffing on your first two choices and landing on him as a safety coach isn't bad at all. If Florida really did lose Kelly because of a coordinator issue though, they're morons.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

MourningView posted:

Chizik was pretty close.

It's always a good day when I get an excuse to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TxIMAwc1k

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

MourningView posted:

Chizik was pretty close. And y’all had a fire Zook website before he’d ever coached, back when that wasn’t a common thing.

That owns about the website lol.

The Zook Era was during my years at Florida and he definitely wasn't hated at his hiring by most fans and students I was around. I wasn't on any message boards back then so I can't speak for Internet fans at the time.

And good points about Chizik and Mike Riley. Those were bad hires even without the benefit of hindsight.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

General Dog posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Steele get another shot as HC somewhere (not for a team I follow though).

A Tennessee alum that should of gotten a call.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

You were kidding but I’m pretty sure a bunch of people weren’t. But mostly I’m annoyed that he’s done a ton of gross stuff this year and the reaction to him is still mostly people thinking he’s funny and cool because he trolls on twitter or whatever.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Winkie01 posted:

It Just Means More.

S-E-C, S-E-C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003