Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had a service call yesterday with a guy who was planning to install a 120A whole house electric water heater. Wanted advisement on his service, and if we needed to upgrade our side.

I had our engineer look at historical data and size the xfmr and service (going from 25 to 50kva and 1/0 to 2/0 overhead wire, and per engineer it still may dim theirs and the neighbors lights), and informed the guy that he would have to upgrade his service from 200A to 325A. Also informed him that we were in the process of swapping to meters that have time-of-use billing capability, which could make running this thing pretty un-economical if we ever go to TOU metering (all utilities are moving to it).

By the end of our conversation, he had decided to can the instant electric and get an instant gas model. "I always wanted a gas stovetop anyway." To be fair, he has a legitimate problem, in that a new tank heater with the new insulation requirements won't fit into the small water heater closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Is there a good alternative for appliances yet? I'm talking like oven lights, fridge lights, etc. Stick a CFL in a fridge and it won't be very bright for the 5-10 seconds the door is open. As for the oven, what's out there that can take 450F?

I feel like for things like oven lights it's just not worth the engineering time to reduce the energy footprint of a bulb that is (generally) on for minutes per month. Especially when improved insulation on the oven would recapture those energy losses trivially. While I'm generally not of the camp "it's pointless to make small incremental improvements if you can't change the big picture problem" in this case I think the % gain is so miniscule. In theory you could do LED + light tube kinda thing to allow the LED to not be exposed to 500F+ of heat.

Fridges there is more of a benefit to be had in that the door is open longer, and the heat output is directly reducing the efficiency of your fridge, but again it's not like just closing the door faster won't recoup more than that energy in a shorter period of time. I would love it if they went to led strips that helped light up the back of my fridge (and add one in the freezer.) I know they make freezers with lights in them, I have never owned one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't most new fridges have LED lights?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

pidan posted:

Re: LEDs, we have them everywhere but in the dimmable lamp it looks really weird so we switched it for a halogen bulb. One of our LED lights whistles when it's on, is that something that can happen? We'll return it whatever the reason may be, but I'm curious.
Coil whine, most likely. Happens when high frequency components like PWM controllers start vibrating in audible frequencies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My fridge used a filament bulb that was burned out so I put a 40w ceiling LED in there and it has been working fine, they don't always fit but it did in this case.

And yeah new fridges will use LED because it is cheaper than the filament bulbs at this point. Same way all monitors went from fluorescent backlights to LED.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I hav a couple of three way switches in our new house that are wired incorrectly. Basically if it’s off at one switch the other switch does not work. Would the best thing to do here be to post a picture of how the switches are wired so someone can tell me what’s wrong?

One of these I caused myself today trying to install a Wink Relay smart home controller. Which is a separate question. It is a touchscreen controller that takes the place of a light switch. The Relay can’t work as a three way switch. In our living room a light is four way switched (three different switches work the same light). I’d like to take one of those switches out of the loop altogether and just use the power source for the Wink Relay. Is that as simple as wire nutting the traveling wires together at that switch? Basically changing a four way switch in to a three way switch if that makes sense.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I hav a couple of three way switches in our new house that are wired incorrectly. Basically if it’s off at one switch the other switch does not work. Would the best thing to do here be to post a picture of how the switches are wired so someone can tell me what’s wrong?

One of these I caused myself today trying to install a Wink Relay smart home controller. Which is a separate question. It is a touchscreen controller that takes the place of a light switch. The Relay can’t work as a three way switch. In our living room a light is four way switched (three different switches work the same light). I’d like to take one of those switches out of the loop altogether and just use the power source for the Wink Relay. Is that as simple as wire nutting the traveling wires together at that switch? Basically changing a four way switch in to a three way switch if that makes sense.

Please do, but i will warn you now that there are a handful of methods to wire 3 way switches, not all of which are legal anymore now that every switch box must have a neutral. How many different 3 way setups are you talking about?

If your controller can't function as a 3 way switch, then it can't be used in that 4 way setup. 4 way setups are a little different than 3 way setups. 4 ways actually have a 3 way on either end, then 4 ways for each switch in the middle.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
There are two different three way setups that are acting funky.

I’ll post pictures tonight when i go back to the house.

Sounds like my idea for changing the four way setup to a three way won’t work. Thanks for your help!

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I want to add an outlet above an existing outlet in my living room for a wall mounted TV. My house has aluminum wiring (death trap, tinder box house, etc) with proper CO-ALR outlets and #63 marette connections with Noalox. It's as safe as it *can be*, however safe that is - even from electricians that ranges from "just as safe as copper" to "GET OUT NOW". My entire street was built by the same builder at the same time (1979, probably the last year they ever used aluminum wiring). Nobody has ever had an electrical fire - even the neighbors that I have noticed have installed DECORA "Cu only" switches and outlets on their aluminum branches... Oh god.

If an outlet is at the end of a branch (having an unused hot/neutral connection on the outlet), can I connect a COPPER connection to this outlet in tandem with the aluminum connection? I know the CO-ALR outlets are approved for copper and aluminum, but I cannot for the life of me find anything that specifically says it is safe to use both at the *same time* - and if so - if there are any special precautions (such as use of Noalox, etc).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Spagghentleman posted:

I want to add an outlet above an existing outlet in my living room for a wall mounted TV. My house has aluminum wiring (death trap, tinder box house, etc) with proper CO-ALR outlets and #63 marette connections with Noalox. It's as safe as it *can be*, however safe that is - even from electricians that ranges from "just as safe as copper" to "GET OUT NOW". My entire street was built by the same builder at the same time (1979, probably the last year they ever used aluminum wiring). Nobody has ever had an electrical fire - even the neighbors that I have noticed have installed DECORA "Cu only" switches and outlets on their aluminum branches... Oh god.

If an outlet is at the end of a branch (having an unused hot/neutral connection on the outlet), can I connect a COPPER connection to this outlet in tandem with the aluminum connection? I know the CO-ALR outlets are approved for copper and aluminum, but I cannot for the life of me find anything that specifically says it is safe to use both at the *same time* - and if so - if there are any special precautions (such as use of Noalox, etc).

If you're using the screw terminals, I don't see an issue.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Spagghentleman posted:

Pigtail the outlet with CU wire and connect to the AL with THESE. You don't really need the torque screwdriver to use these, just snug them up so the screw starts to bite into the wire. AlumiConns are code compliant and won't cause your outlet to burn up at some point down the road. I had an aluminum wire loosen the set screw on the side of an outlet and start hissing and smoking. Fortunately I was home at the time and got that poo poo fixed - pronto.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I don't think the Alumiconns are approved for use in Canada yet.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Spagghentleman posted:

How about something like this, instead of messing with your wiring?

https://www.amazon.com/Datacomm-50-3323-WH-KIT-Panel-Organizer-Solution/dp/B001PB7UVA/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kid sinister posted:

Is there a good alternative for appliances yet? I'm talking like oven lights, fridge lights, etc. Stick a CFL in a fridge and it won't be very bright for the 5-10 seconds the door is open. As for the oven, what's out there that can take 450F?

FWIW, I've tried both LED and CFL in a fridge. LED was instantly bright, but died quickly both times. CFL was very dim due to the temps; CFLs don't handle cold temps very well unless you give them time to warm up, nor do they handle short "on" periods decently either. Fluorescent bulbs really need to be left on for a decent amount of time to keep them from burning out quickly.

This has been in oldschool top/bottom fridges though, with the bulb right next to the fan vent - so it's likely the LEDs died from the condensation forming every time the door was opened. My fridge bulb sees maybe 3 minutes of use a day if I'm cooking a big meal, I'm pretty sure the 20 year old builder-grade fridge pulls far more power than the light could ever dream of.

e: I rent, fridge/stove/dishwasher are included. The stove is almost as old as I am though (I'm pushing 40, for reference). Only major appliances I provided were washer/dryer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 18, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

This is 100% code legal, safe and the correct solution.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the very standard-looking extension cord in that kit is allowed to run inside a wall?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

angryrobots posted:

So the very standard-looking extension cord in that kit is allowed to run inside a wall?

No it looks like there is a roll of 14/2 that is used between boxes. The extention cord connects is yo connect the new lower box to an existing outlet nearby.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I see, I didn't look at it closely enough.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

angryrobots posted:

I see, I didn't look at it closely enough.

I can see why you thought that, there are those "kits" that are just holes with white plastic fibers that you run all of your cabling through.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Let's say I got something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproof-Outdoor-Halogen-Equivalent/dp/B008XZAQDU

How would I go about mounting/wiring to an outdoor box?

I had assumed I'd need a round weatherproof box, but I don't know what kind of cover would work.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
That is a 12v fixture, so you would need a low voltage transformer. Looking at the item, it does not appear to have an option to mount into a weatherproof box, instead you would just mount that rear arm to the wall.

You probably would be better off buying something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3Q7OFH

And mounting it to a weatherproof round box, it should screw right into the front cover. Note that the one I linked is 120v.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Gardenator posted:

That is a 12v fixture, so you would need a low voltage transformer. Looking at the item, it does not appear to have an option to mount into a weatherproof box, instead you would just mount that rear arm to the wall.

You probably would be better off buying something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3Q7OFH

And mounting it to a weatherproof round box, it should screw right into the front cover. Note that the one I linked is 120v.

Yea I noticed after posting that, although the description says AC or DC, it still is only 12v. I'm having a hell of a time so far finding something that isn't high wattage and soft white.

But now that I used the search term 'knuckle mount' everything is popping up. Thanks!

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 20, 2017

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Spagghentleman posted:

I don't think the Alumiconns are approved for use in Canada yet.

Sorry, didn't realize we were dealing with Canukistan.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey guys, in my utility closet I have a coaxial cable that comes from a splitter and is piped into a pvc/plastic conduit labeled "living room" so I assume that this is the coaxial cable that terminates near the TV area. Thing is I don't have cable so this cable is kind of useless, so I was thinking about replacing it with a CAT6 cable so that I can hardwire the TV/Roku/etc.

So what I was thinking of doing is disconnecting the coaxial cable from the splitter in the closet, taping one end of a CAT6 cable to it, and then in the living room I'd take off the face plate and just pull on the coaxial cable until it comes out with my Ethernet cable. On that end I'd just change the face plates or whatever to have a female end to plug things into, and in the closet it would connect directly to my switch.

Is this a terrible idea and if so why? Is this something that's safe to do? This seems like a really easy way to hardwire my apartment and should be easy to put back to normal when I move out.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey guys, in my utility closet I have a coaxial cable that comes from a splitter and is piped into a pvc/plastic conduit labeled "living room" so I assume that this is the coaxial cable that terminates near the TV area. Thing is I don't have cable so this cable is kind of useless, so I was thinking about replacing it with a CAT6 cable so that I can hardwire the TV/Roku/etc.

So what I was thinking of doing is disconnecting the coaxial cable from the splitter in the closet, taping one end of a CAT6 cable to it, and then in the living room I'd take off the face plate and just pull on the coaxial cable until it comes out with my Ethernet cable. On that end I'd just change the face plates or whatever to have a female end to plug things into, and in the closet it would connect directly to my switch.

Is this a terrible idea and if so why? Is this something that's safe to do? This seems like a really easy way to hardwire my apartment and should be easy to put back to normal when I move out.

If the pipe has room in it, I'd just run CAT5e along side it (you have zero reason to use CAT6 here, it's completely unnecessary).

Easiest way to do this is to tie a plastic bag to a string, shove it into the pipe. Go the other end and put a vaccuum cleaner on it. You should end up with the bag pulled through very quickly (assuming it's conduit the whole way).

Then just attach your new wire to the string, and pull it through.

They also make ethernet over coax adapters.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, using an old cable to pull a new cable is common, safe, and normal but I'd keep the coax if you can.

If the bag trick doesn't work but there is still room for both I'd try using the coax to pull both the new network cable and some strings through, then use one of the strings to pull the coax back.

I always try to leave an extra string when I'm doing any kind of pulls through blind areas like that so it's easier next time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

devicenull posted:

Easiest way to do this is to tie a plastic bag to a string, shove it into the pipe. Go the other end and put a vaccuum cleaner on it. You should end up with the bag pulled through very quickly (assuming it's conduit the whole way).

I never thought of using the conduit like a vacuum tube like that. Hopefully that works out for me cause it’ll let me measure how much cabling I’d need too (cat5e it is).

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I never thought of using the conduit like a vacuum tube like that. Hopefully that works out for me cause it’ll let me measure how much cabling I’d need too (cat5e it is).

You should go for cat6a or cat7 if you can, there's no reason to use a standard that's been superseded and at it's limit technically.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ElCondemn posted:

You should go for cat6a or cat7 if you can, there's no reason to use a standard that's been superseded and at it's limit technically.

Cat7 is pointless. It's not part of any ethernet specs, 10G works fine on Cat6A and 25/40G jumped right to Cat8 for patch cables, leaving permanent installations unspecified and basically saying "use fiber"

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

Except it's an apartment so this isn't going to be there forever.. 5e is easier to work with, and there is no consumer level gear that does anything above 1gbit right now. Anything better then 5e is pointless expense.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Use whatever is cheapest, it's a loving rental. Don't sperge out over cat whatever unless you have a specific need for it. Stranded will be easier to pull. Get it preterminated off monoprice. Or grab a "moca bridge".

How house burn downy are these? Never seen them where they rotate.

2 pack - 6 Inch Black Extension Cord with Flat Rotating Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CXJJSUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MK0gAb5XF6KDQ

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

devicenull posted:

Except it's an apartment so this isn't going to be there forever.. 5e is easier to work with, and there is no consumer level gear that does anything above 1gbit right now. Anything better then 5e is pointless expense.

A number of higher-end consumer/prosumer motherboards have had 10G for a year or two now. Apple is about to put it in an iMac. NBaseT has moved >1G even further down the lineup as well, Aquantia just had a sale on Black Friday that put their 10G/5G/2.5G/1G/100m card at $69 with the 5G/2.5G/1G/100m one at $59.

Switches are still more expensive than they should be, but we're getting there.

That said if it's not too long of a run and especially if it's easy to pull, who cares? That's the nice thing about a well done conduit setup, if you need to re-cable it's not that hard.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

H110Hawk posted:

2 pack - 6 Inch Black Extension Cord with Flat Rotating Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CXJJSUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MK0gAb5XF6KDQ

They say listed for 15A, don't exceed 12. They heat up pretty bad and, if they're under any tension when that happens, they melt and don't rotate. Instead of rotating, they break apart and you're left with live prongs hanging out of the wall.

Other than that, great product. Good for hiding things behind couches.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They say listed for 15A, don't exceed 12. They heat up pretty bad and, if they're under any tension when that happens, they melt and don't rotate. Instead of rotating, they break apart and you're left with live prongs hanging out of the wall.

Other than that, great product. Good for hiding things behind couches.

Neato, thanks. That is just what I was thinking about. 80% of rated for continuous load is about 80% higher than it will see.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

H110Hawk posted:

Use whatever is cheapest, it's a loving rental. Don't sperge out over cat whatever unless you have a specific need for it. Stranded will be easier to pull. Get it preterminated off monoprice. Or grab a "moca bridge".

They might be a tiny bit house burn downy.
Here's a teardown of a similar design with a discussion of their problems.
https://hackaday.com/2017/10/27/this-power-strip-is-a-fire-starter/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Extension cords aren't allowed for permanent use, so they're a little "burn downy".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Extension cords aren't allowed for permanent use, so they're a little "burn downy".

It's not permanent.

Naffer posted:

They might be a tiny bit house burn downy.
Here's a teardown of a similar design with a discussion of their problems.
https://hackaday.com/2017/10/27/this-power-strip-is-a-fire-starter/

Ok, this is what I was wondering about : How do they both go 360 degrees and not be terrible spring connections. In theory my shiny year old AFCI breakers should solve any problems, but I'm just going to continue to live in the dark ages with a lo-pro fixed angle plug.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Why is that, out of curiosity? Is it that people can't be trusted to choose the proper gauge?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Went into my workshop after a storm a few days ago, and the lights weren't working; the GFCI breaker for the lights had tripped (but the other circuits in the workshop were fine). I reset it and the lights worked again, and I haven't noticed any other issues with the circuits, but is there anything in particular I should look out for? Possible causes for the trip? There's a motion-activated light on that circuit, mounted on an exterior box, so I guess water could maybe get in that way, but it's close to the soffits and pretty thoroughly caulked down, so I don't see how water could get in except maybe as vapor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Was there any possibility of lightning?