Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

I never saw the fun in chewing through lower level content. For me it's quite the opposite.
I like to tackle stuff that wasn't designed to achieve solo or with one group, without outleveling the thing.

For example back in the days in Velious on my Shaman I was one of the first to go solo Dragons in Western Wastes.
Also doing raid content with one or two groups is what I consider fun, even if it's slow and not "time efficient".
Surely you can see the fun in returning to EQ after 5-10-15 years and churning through all the old stuff on fast forward? :)

It's also pretty hard to resist the temptation to outlevel and out-gear content. There is a middle ground though, for example if you level to 90 and then start going through all of House of Thule, there will still be lots of challenges; it'll neither be super easy nor super hard.

FranktheBank posted:

Is there any current guides for how to monk? I played one until lvl 70, then heroic'd for free a while back... saw all the buttons and quit
It is a bit overwhelming. Here are some slightly outdated but relevant guides:

http://www.knightsofinfinity.org/mobile/forum/viewthread/m/34987556/id/24886565-monk-dps-by-telkiney

http://forums.eqfreelance.net/index.php?topic=164.0

What I recommend is starting off simple, getting your Kick rotation down and such. Start by clearing all your hotbars of all the stuff you don't understand and start from scratch. Next, what I do when discovering a new class is to simply read through the description of all the AA's and discs I have and see what what they do. If there's an AA you're in doubt about, look up its details on http://www.raidloot.com/AA.aspx?class=Monk or Alla. Then you can slowly start getting comfortable with all the abilities, learn which ones are useful and which ones are not (and trust me, there are lots of worthless AA's), and when to use them. Generally speaking, when killing mobs of low to medium difficulty, you don't really need to use more than a few abilities. Just your autoattack and various kicks will do. Then start trying out some discs, short-time buffs, and so on to get a feel for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I decided to try the FV server after finding Agnarr too much of an lfg grind. So far so good, have levelled an enchanter to 50 with the tank merc. I'm starting to think about boxing and was wondering what class would go well with the enchanter?

I may only be interested in leveling up to the grindy levels, whenever that kicks in (have read it's around 80). I do have the monthly sub and willing to do that for my box as well.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
my friend boxed a wizard with his enchanter

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd prob go with cleric/enc for CHing your charm pet along with 2x DPS mercs.

Then again, I don't know how effective a healer merc is keeping up a charm pet.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm picturing the healer merc AI freaking out every time charm breaks but I don't know if that's still a thing where they just refuse to do anything if you pull more than 1 mob.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think wiz is out because I can use PoK to port, but a cleric is pretty tempting. I have not used the healer merc yet no idea how viable they really are. I'm only level 58 so I have time to test some things and think about this.

The tank merc has been an absolute beast so far. The only issue's I've had are a couple times he's bolted when low on life.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Wizard and druid ports aren't as nice as they used to be with the pok and guild hall but there's still a few odd and ends that are faster to port to using one. Plus you get the utility of setting up multiple bind points and being able to port to them. You can set your primary bind to a camp near a HA giver or a named you're farming for loot and port your entire group right at it.

You'll be fine without one sure but if I was making a box group I'd definitely consider one.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stanos posted:

Wizard and druid ports aren't as nice as they used to be with the pok and guild hall but there's still a few odd and ends that are faster to port to using one. Plus you get the utility of setting up multiple bind points and being able to port to them. You can set your primary bind to a camp near a HA giver or a named you're farming for loot and port your entire group right at it.

You'll be fine without one sure but if I was making a box group I'd definitely consider one.

Wiz/druid is also really nice for evaccing. Using the guild hall corpse retrieval/rez is pretty trivial but slightly annoying when you're doing 4-5 of them.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
J5 mercs don't run away that often, they still bug out rarely though.

A nuker is good with enchanter because player dps far outweighs mercs, so having to use a cleric Merc is preferable to using a real cleric with dps Merc.

I think you can buffban cures on the pet so your Tash doesn't get cured.

You can basically root rot/reverse charm kill any exp mobs solo as enchanter, but when you need to hit a dungeon or named for loot, the wizard/nuker shreds them.

At high level enchanter can tank with wards(seriously).
You can clump up mobs and mass root them, then charm one and break charm to get fast kills.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Are SKs often desired for groups/raiding on Agnarr? Ive been static duoing with my friend (me NEC, him MAG) and it's been fun but also it's super hard to find 2 spots in groups when we're both casters. Particularly since you spend levels 5-30 in unrest. Considering rolling a SK or Monk or something so it'll be easier to get groups. We're in the late 20's on our mains but it wouldn't be too difficult to get back up there with a new guy I think.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Groups, yes. I leveled as a paladin and it was SUPER easy to find groups. Raiding they are okay. Much like paladins, they suffer from bringing almost nothing to the table beyond the 1st one. Example: 1 Paladin can Divine Strength all the tanks in the raid. 1 SK can Shadow Vortex a raid mob. the 2nd of these classes doesn't REALLY do much.

SKs have fairly decent dps though, our geared SKs have been outparsing some rangers.

Not to say you won't find a raiding guild, because you will. There is no shortage of them. You just won't be fawned over.

You can't really tank current content, because we lack defensive discs, so even with amazing gear you are going to get rolled by a boss.

Personally, I am enjoying my paladin, because I am okay with the above things. I am a great group tank, getting snap aggro from mobs that get to our healers. I use DA (Harmshield for SKs) to position mobs on pulls. Rampage tank. Most importantly, sacrifice myself when the tank gets one-rounded by AOW so he doesn't kill a cleric.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Paladins/SKs have trouble tanking raids until PoP when they are no longer the bastard bitch babies of the world.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what makes Planes of Power the expansion for Agnarr to stop at?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s the last expansion put out before the game goes to poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

gradenko_2000 posted:

what makes Planes of Power the expansion for Agnarr to stop at?

RCarr posted:

It’s the last expansion put out before the game goes to poo poo.

Because a lot of people feel this way.

A lot of people feel Luclin/PoP ruined the game too so meh.

I think PoP rocked because they finally made hybrids useful in raid settings, druids not lovely healers and a lot of other stuff. Expansions after were awesome as well and raids started getting more fun rather than mostly tank/spank.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I've always felt like EQ died at OoW, not PoP, though GoD was pretty bad and the release of World of Warcraft during that time didn't do it any favors.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I thought GoD was awesome on Phinny. Lots of different raids, different mechanics for everything, some challenging fights here and there. Also the huuuuge aug (Breakdown in Communication) quest for those into that (I was!).

Some of the mechanics ended up falling pretty flat (see: racecar), but most work at keeping things varied and fun.

Omens is awesome. Good raid, epic 1.5s/2.0s are tons of fun. Less raiding over all, especially on a TLP though - just really one main zone that you have done in like a 1.5 hour raid, even split. Compare that to GoD where we had a lot more we were interested in raiding. We still do MPG trials and some RSS stuff here and there, but the meat is definitely just CoA.

That said - those two definitely show the continued change of the game starting with what you see in PoP/LDON. Either you're down with instanced raiding, smaller zones, fights not being tank/spank/maybe-dodge-an-ae-or-have-resists, or you're not.

DoN in a week! Won't impact a bunch raid wise, as we'll just add 2 dragons to the schedule, but we'll probably do all the dragons at least once (and I bet people do the others for box gear on offnights), as well as some mission progression and AAs on that progression. I love the look of the zones, even though I've only ever ran through them once like 3-4 years ago or something.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
SK shine a lot in PoP and it's a good class to play for Agnarr and is extremely powerful coupled with a box shaman. Cleric/Enc being the other solid box class.

Monks and rogues fair pretty well as do Rangers.

PoP is the decline of casters. They are loving trash tier DPS atm on raids in OOW (and sucked in GoD too).

As a note anyone thinking of rolling a caster on Phinny...don't. Casters are garbage on live and phinny due to that retarded as gently caress free AA that increases melee classes base damage.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I decided to roll a Mage to box with my Enchanter, that sound like a good idea? My thought was dps, plus pet for tanking/off tanking. I"ve pl'd him to level 22 so far and have been enjoying the playstyle.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Essential posted:

I decided to roll a Mage to box with my Enchanter, that sound like a good idea? My thought was dps, plus pet for tanking/off tanking. I"ve pl'd him to level 22 so far and have been enjoying the playstyle.

that is a great pair for churning through easy content where you can survive without heals. Malo is a huge bonus for charming. If you need to heal your charm you can use mez/mem blur it out of combat to regen 30% of their life per tick

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Its 50% bonus exp time until 11th December.

On Phinny I expect Paw will be a warzone !

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
No kidding, lol. First exp bonus since OoW came out.

Paw needs to spawn a pick at 6 people at this point, haha.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress paw. This exp will be active while grinding DoN faction and accursed nest is by far a better place to exp.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I need 75% of my level, ~120 AA to fill my bank, plus probably 50-100 more AAs to say "look I've bought everything because why not".

So I'll probably end up grinding in both.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why worry about it. No new AA in DoN and there will be another bonus before DoDH

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I get things done when I can. I mean, it's a game, gives me something to do. I do actually enjoy playing it, ya know, heh. I just need a goal to get me to log in.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Is that xp bonus on agnarr as well?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Bonuses are across all servers.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Some of the guild testcopied over last night and gave Vish a go. With the melee changes we had to actually slow down because we weren't going to have all of the smokes spawn by the time drakes went active. Only a few derp moments by people not paying attention to their debuffs (audio triggers were oddly bugged, they were happening super late for some reason) but we got the skeletons under control no problem.

DoN is actually going to be boring, I'll probably be done with everything fairly rapidly and just have to wait on raids. Sad to be excited for DoDH when DoDH and PoR are two of the worst expansions just for some content.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Solarin posted:

that is a great pair for churning through easy content where you can survive without heals. Malo is a huge bonus for charming. If you need to heal your charm you can use mez/mem blur it out of combat to regen 30% of their life per tick

Nice, thanks for the info! I didn't realize they got malo, that's awesome.

I now have my mage at 40 thanks to the xp bonus.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Some of the guild testcopied over last night and gave Vish a go. With the melee changes we had to actually slow down because we weren't going to have all of the smokes spawn by the time drakes went active. Only a few derp moments by people not paying attention to their debuffs (audio triggers were oddly bugged, they were happening super late for some reason) but we got the skeletons under control no problem.

DoN is actually going to be boring, I'll probably be done with everything fairly rapidly and just have to wait on raids. Sad to be excited for DoDH when DoDH and PoR are two of the worst expansions just for some content.

Yeah, I really don't know anything about DoN, but I'm suspecting the group I'm playing with at launch will be done in a day or two. We plan on working through the missions and grinding the rep pretty hard. It's our own doing obviously, but going hard at launch is really fun. I'm kinda fine with playing hard for a few days / week or two, then just mostly logging in to raid. Gives time to play other games.

What's so bad about DoDH and PoR? Noone in my guild talks about PoR, but people say good things about DoDH - most of it being talk about cool loot I guess.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I liked the raids in DoDH and PoR, but maybe that's just me.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I really don't know anything about DoN, but I'm suspecting the group I'm playing with at launch will be done in a day or two. We plan on working through the missions and grinding the rep pretty hard. It's our own doing obviously, but going hard at launch is really fun. I'm kinda fine with playing hard for a few days / week or two, then just mostly logging in to raid. Gives time to play other games.

What's so bad about DoDH and PoR? Noone in my guild talks about PoR, but people say good things about DoDH - most of it being talk about cool loot I guess.

Okay here goes, starting with DoDH.

The blood raids are wildly unbalanced. Four of them are piss easy that even trash guilds can kill them, and they reward commensurate loot except for Draygun. He actually gives REALLY good loot. The final blood raid, Sendaii, is a clusterfuck. It's a 45 minute event that only has any sort of challenge right at the end when Sendaii spams waves of adds. They're not fun, and the loot from most of them is terrible except for one or two augs.

Demi-Plane has a debuff that requires you to turn in poo poo to turn it off, and it fucks with buffs and epic clicks until you do. You also get snared while you have less than three blockers turned in. Blockers drop 6 at at time from the tier 1 bosses and rarely from trash of the same type as the boss (bats drop blood, orcs drop skulls, etc). That means w/o the blockers, you get to be a worthless gently caress trying to catch up to the raid until you get blockers. For people that box, its even worse, because mains will cry if a useful box gets a blocker over them, so it means that people that box can't really move fast through the zone like everyone else charging ahead.

Next, there are events that have artificial delays on how fast you can do them. Zi-Thuuli, Hatchet, Performer, Roley and Adriana, Sisters, and Mayong all have pointless delays built in to their fights that you cannot bypass, not even by levels / gear.

On to PoR.

The new grouping zones are either garbage (Arcstone, Skylance, Relic, Devastation) or the mobs have such high HP regen that its comical trying to kill them (Theater of Blood). Only one zone is worthwhile (Sverag) but it only has one camp that is both safe and has something nice that drops.

The raids are atrocious, all of them are either huge slogs like Razorthorn, have retarded mechanics (Daosheen, most of the theater of blood bosses except Valik, Vertigo and Ayonae Ro), or have artificial delays built in once again (Bell of Dissonance, Vertigo, and Ayonae Ro).

Events can fail and get into a state that you can never win them, without letting you know (Vertigo).

Events can be failed because of other event mechanics you have no control over (Vertigo again).

The auras that get introduced being your new pain of understanding that you're being followed by an invisible man that has a permanent AoE going on. That means as nice as the auras are, they follow very different rules from normal buffs. Their duration was increased at some point to make this less of a pain in the rear end, but they're still a pain. This gets fixed eventually by introducing 'echoes' or stationary auras.

All of that said, there are a couple of nice enhancements and events. The new spells from DoDH are extremely useful, like Lingering Sloth from shaman, and there's a lot of grouping stuff you can do in DoDH like complete the werewolf mask which gives you a nice resist clicky that should be permanent now, farm for some nice upgrade augs, and the amount of 'money' drops from mobs will go up. DoDH is where tinkering and spell research become incredibly valuable as you can make cultural augs out of the last bloods that drop on raids. Some of the events can be fun, even though I mentioned Mayong the fight is balanced kinda nicely despite the delay at the start (just make sure you delete the sound file, holy poo poo...)

PoR...well Valik the Cruel is fun I guess? There's an arena event/charm that is neat, its kinda rough though. Sorry I really have nothing good to say about PoR, it is by far the worst expansion they've made even compared to other stuff like VoA, CoTF, TBM, or older stuff like original GoD or original Luclin. They shat it out while building an entirely new leveling experience for TSS, and it shows.

Edit to add: Ayonae Ro has a 'pre fight' where you have to use fetters on her when an emote goes off. Fetters require people to have done the entire flagging chain in PoR. Fetters have a 15 minute cooldown. You need to use them like 60 times. HAVE FUN!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

xZAOx posted:

I'm kinda fine with playing hard for a few days / week or two, then just mostly logging in to raid. Gives time to play other games.

How the ravages of time have changed you!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

khysanth posted:

How the ravages of time have changed you!

Hah, I took breaks during BDA too!

Although, when we were raiding, we raided a LOT more than I do now. We were doing multiple expansions worth of targets, and honestly - we were so bad and inefficient that everything took a lot longer.

I still don't miss DKP raids in my new guild either, but hell we're down to just 1 night for OoW, and it's only 2 hours. It'll go back to 2 nights for DoN though.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
And DoN launches today!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Start of GoD we had 12 casters. As of right now we have 4 and one is an app. Everyone is re rolling or lvling up a melee character to change to. Well done DGB on adding a % bonus to base damage that scales for the better the higher damage weapons you get.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm about to install and get back into this lovely game. Is there a goon server/guild everyone is on? The OP is forever old.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
No goon guild or server.
A small handful of goons spread between Phinigel, Agnarr, and I think Xegony maybe?
But only like 1s or 2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
In that case - can you recommend anyone recommend me a server? American Central player here...

The OP makes it seem like a pretty serious decision...

Very excited to start up a Druid. I played EQ1 back as a young teenager and I think somehow that's how I got introduced to S.A. back in 2003.
Is it okay to NOT be able to dual-box 2 classes? I'm just going to be running this on my laptop; I don't have more computing power to dual box.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 7, 2017