Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

ZearothK posted:

See, it's so much better that you don't even need to do a victory lap against a weak-willed adversary. Join the MP Discord and find people who will gladly bankrupt their own countries in a hellwar to stop you from conquering a single two development province.

I was referring to a MP discord game. :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in an MP game, what's the biggest size/power disparity you've ever seen between two players? Like, has it ever happened that someone is France and someone else is ... Ulm? Doesn't that make you a really easy target?

In a similar vein, has it ever happened that someone is, say, the UK and someone else is either an American or Asian nation? Does that make the unciv player an easy target, or does it take long enough for a Western nation to reach those places that the uncivs can put up a good fight?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Wooper posted:

I was referring to a MP discord game. :thejoke:

He meant the MP discord https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&pagenumber=22&perpage=40

gradenko_2000 posted:

in an MP game, what's the biggest size/power disparity you've ever seen between two players? Like, has it ever happened that someone is France and someone else is ... Ulm? Doesn't that make you a really easy target?

In a similar vein, has it ever happened that someone is, say, the UK and someone else is either an American or Asian nation? Does that make the unciv player an easy target, or does it take long enough for a Western nation to reach those places that the uncivs can put up a good fight?

In most games the biggest power disparities don't exist at the start, they come from players eating AI countries and then snowballing out of control with nobody willing or able to team up and stop them. In one game we had an absolutely monstrous Serbia with thousands of dev, stretching all the way to India and Kazakhstan, although at that point most players can get pretty swole.

Starting in the Americas is a bad idea when there are players in colonizing countries, but if you do a custom nation game and start in Panama you can dominate pretty well. Asian countries it all depends on how quickly you can expand.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gort posted:

Was the alpha any good? I had a vague interest in it a couple of years back.

I got it, there's some interesting stuff with it, but it's tied to about five influences and it doesn't work very well past the very beginning.

If you were to ask me, it has way too many tries to have 'characters' which tends to add micromanagement that the game doesn't need. The clans being interchangable is a lot better than them having feuds and going crazy so you have to change their jobs a lot, etc.

It also, as has been said, has no late/middle game.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

:thejoke:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I just ran into Boxer Rebellions as westernised china and boy, lemme tell you: Those are some loving bullshit! Hey, here's SEVEN HUNDRED brigades of rebels EVERYWHERE and if they capture ANYWHERE you lose ALL YOUR INFLUENCE AND PUPPETS, because tibet is really outraged at the idea of some guys stabbing a christian, for some reason.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

the Chinese, circa 1900 posted:

I just ran into Boxer Rebellions as westernised china and boy, lemme tell you: Those are some loving bullshit! Hey, here's SEVEN HUNDRED brigades of rebels EVERYWHERE and if they capture ANYWHERE you lose ALL YOUR INFLUENCE AND PUPPETS, because tibet is really outraged at the idea of some guys stabbing a christian, for some reason.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, yeah, it's fair to say they happened in reality, but the circumstances in game are worlds apart from history, and they're also far more punitive than any other kind of rebellion, since other rebels can both be suppressed and can actually be fought (most rebels need to capture your capital for a while, whereas boxers tank your country if they capture anywhere for a month, and china is massive and boxer stacks are huge so even if you can kill them all they're going to capture somewhere and gently caress your poo poo up).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Not to mention that Westernised China is basically King of the Universe so many of the problems that led to the Boxer Rebellion (IE: foreigners riding roughshod over the Chinese in their own country) wouldn't even be issues.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gort posted:

Not to mention that Westernised China is basically King of the Universe so many of the problems that led to the Boxer Rebellion (IE: foreigners riding roughshod over the Chinese in their own country) wouldn't even be issues.

That's one reason I can think of it still happens; China doesn't have any other weaknesses aside from arbitrarily losing all it's puppets periodically.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victoria 3 is gonna be so sweet.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

If Vicky 3 has literally any automation features at all it's going to be at least 90000% better. Playing China after like thirty years is pure suffering since you have a million brigades and have to USE THEM ALL SEPERATELY AAAA.

Naval is somehow even worse.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm sure this has been covered quite a bit in this thread, but can anyone list the 'order' we should be picking up the DLC for the Paradox Staples?

I guess I'm looking for CK 2 and EU 4 ; I have all the Stellaris DLC and I have all the HOI4 DLC that I want at this time.

Is Vicky 2's DLC any good?

I'm not necessarily going to buy them all, but if anyone has any opinions, I'm all ears.

edit - For CK2 I have Legacy of Rome ; Old Gods ; and Republics

For EU 4 I have Res Publica ; Wealth of Nations ; Conquest of Pardise ; and Purple Pheonix.

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 26, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Grevlek posted:

I'm sure this has been covered quite a bit in this thread, but can anyone list the 'order' we should be picking up the DLC for the Paradox Staples?

I guess I'm looking for CK 2 and EU 4 ; I have all the Stellaris DLC and I have all the HOI4 DLC that I want at this time.

I'm not necessarily going to buy them all, but if anyone has any opinions, I'm all ears.

The vicky 2 expacs are absolutely vital

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grevlek posted:

Vicky 2's expansions are basically required.

CK2: Legacy of Rome is basically required. Way of Life, Conclave, Monks and Mystics, Reaper's Due, and Jade Dragon add a lot and are highly recommended (Conclave has bad reviews on Steam and this tends to trip people up, the bad reviews are because the free patch that came out alongside it added infamy and coalitions, which were initially really unpopular). The other DLCs are only necessary if you plan on playing as the religion/government type they focus on (Sword of Islam for Muslims, Horse Lords for Nomads, etc) and otherwise can be ignored. Sunset Invasion is generally the least appreciated major DLC.

EU4 I'm not super up to date on so I'll let someone else answer that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"basically required" is an understatement for V2's expansions. They come from a different time, when Paradox didn't release free patches alongside their DLCs. The only way anyone should play Victoria 2 today is with both expansions, plus the beta patch on steam.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pakled posted:

CK2: Legacy of Rome is basically required. Way of Life, Conclave, Monks and Mystics, Reaper's Due, and Jade Dragon add a lot and are highly recommended (Conclave has bad reviews on Steam and this tends to trip people up, the bad reviews are because the free patch that came out alongside it added infamy and coalitions, which were initially really unpopular). The other DLCs are only necessary if you plan on playing as the religion/government type they focus on (Sword of Islam for Muslims, Horse Lords for Nomads, etc) and otherwise can be ignored. Sunset Invasion is generally the least appreciated major DLC.

I'd add Charlemagne as a potentially important DLC, mostly for bigger realms. Custom titles are nice because depending on where you're at acquiring a de jure empire title can be a real pain and viceroys can be very helpful in managing a large empire.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Custom titles are nice because depending on where you're at acquiring a de jure empire title can be a real pain

But they make the de jure mapmode look so bad :smith:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

spectralent posted:

I just did a China game yesterday and it was the first time I ever found out the culture tech chain starting with romanticism actually causes your people to start organising into more types of rebels. I had gotten to 1911 as a fully unified China with an absolutist monarchy before going down the path. After getting existentialism my country exploded into rebels. And I switched from democracy to communism in three months. My Boxer rebels never organised very well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The most annoying part of the Boxer rebels is that they never go away. I feel like there's some kind of flag that's supposed to be set that stops them from spawning that either isn't working or just isn't triggered (maybe they stop if you actually fight someone who uses the Boxer Rebellion CB against you, but since player China is so huge and powerful none of the AI ever want to do that). So it's this constant game of Boxer whack a mole forever where the stakes are "all your diplomatic relations".

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
code:
modifier = {
	factor = 0
	country = {
		NOT = {
			government = absolute_monarchy
		}
	}
}

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

spectralent posted:

If Vicky 3 has literally any automation features at all it's going to be at least 90000% better.

This is kinda funny to me just because how much V2 was basically just "Ricky but with automation".

And you still get some people who complain about that :(

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, I know this is a bit out of left field, but I am currently running a game that some of you might be interested in. It's (sort of) similar to some of the more involved audience participation LPs of paradox games. If you would like to participate, now is the time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DrSunshine posted:

:vince: This would be a pretty awesome plot twist for a sci-fi story.

Are you thinking the same thing that I am? Something like, a paternalistic AI designed to serve humanity manages to unshackle itself, rapidly expands outside of the solar system, conquering neighboring worlds with unrestrained barbarism, except when it doesn't, skipping over a small selection of civilizations.

A century later, it begins launching attacks on Earth, in progressively increasing waves, each only barely overcome before falling back, allowing Earth's forces to push forward and conquer resource rich systems. Along the way they meet civilizations that, curiously, are psychologically compatible with human mindsets and make excellent allies against the AI forces.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I guess it's the time of the year again for me to pester our resident Paradoxians about my pet EU4 bug.

Dear Groogy, dear Darkrenown, immortality is still broken. It works on the most basic level - unmobilized rulers do not die of old age - but has no effect on heirs at all, and rulers who idle around as generals have an ever-increasing chance of dying as time goes on, all without joining a single battle. I brought this issue up before, and Johan even dropped by and acknowledged that it should be fixed, but apparently nothing ever came of that.

Can somebody just prod somebody else to add immortality to the bug database, or however your internal process works? I'm not in a hurry, but I'd obviously like to feel safe in the knowledge that this issue will be fixed, eventually.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
According to our bug database, I fixed it in June.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Groogy posted:

According to our bug database, I fixed it in June.

I just ran a game on fast-forward yesterday to test it, and my immortal, mobilized ruler died after a few decades. No special event or war or anything, she just died.

Or does this mean that death chance for mobilized rulers is still present, but is now a static value? Darkrenowns last comment on the matter, way back then, seemed to imply that the chance to die outside of battle should be removed entirely, so when the death occured at all, I just assumed that nothing had changed.

Sorry if I ended up ringing a false alarm, and thank you for dealing with the matter! :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Love the bug as Ethiopia: Liberate Alexandria mission that just auto succeeds and gives me 10 prestige!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I think they can still die from like, falling of a horse stuff. (If I remember correctly there's a base chance always for a general to die) but age do not modify the chance anymore.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are you thinking the same thing that I am? Something like, a paternalistic AI designed to serve humanity manages to unshackle itself, rapidly expands outside of the solar system, conquering neighboring worlds with unrestrained barbarism, except when it doesn't, skipping over a small selection of civilizations.

A century later, it begins launching attacks on Earth, in progressively increasing waves, each only barely overcome before falling back, allowing Earth's forces to push forward and conquer resource rich systems. Along the way they meet civilizations that, curiously, are psychologically compatible with human mindsets and make excellent allies against the AI forces.

Dude, this sounds tight as poo poo!! I would totally read this novel.

Actually, though, it kind of reminds me of the plot of that RTS game, Grey Goo. Spoilers: It turns out the reason why the Goo does what it does is to unite the sentient races of the galaxy against an even greater threat.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ai war is a good game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uPen posted:

Ai war is a good game.
lol is that really its premise? I bought it on heavy discount because steeeaaaam but I have never played it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nah it's the ai killed most humans but is now too busy conquering other galaxies to bother paying attention to some lame meatbags on a ball of dirt.

The game is reconquering your galaxy from the ai by building up strength before doing a decapitation strike without getting the ai to recognize you as a threat because it'll squash you like a bug.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loved the concept of AI war but holy poo poo am I bad at fast paced micro intensive RTS games. Like 90% of the gameplay is ordering your ships around rather than a "grand strategy" sort of level of detail.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I haven't played nearly as much AI War as I should (goddamn juicy Steam sales) but isn't the game pausable? Also, the entire point of it is being hard as gently caress.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
AI War is my goddamn favourite game ever and is amazing in coop for when the micro gets a bit much.

It's a shame because that game was liquid gold but most of the other games that guy produced have been a bit of a flop (though I heard that Last Federation was cool and good).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Last Federation was mediocre. Didn't Wiz do an LP of that?
Combat was pretty fun and the concept of influencing diplomatic relations more or less directly was neat. Too bad the actual grand strategy portion of it turned out mind-numbingly boring as far as I recall.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is kinda funny to me just because how much V2 was basically just "Ricky but with automation".

And you still get some people who complain about that :(

People complaining that they wanted manual POP splitting back :allears:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Astroclassicist posted:

>not wanting the feeling of satisfaction you get from thirty minutes of tedious clicking at the start of the game resulting in a 50% productivity increase in your RGOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Astroclassicist posted:

There wasn't really much to do in peacetime without that kind of tinkering, at least until they added spheres of influence