Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

jivjov posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Han is a violent sexual assualter. The scene just lacks vocalized specific affirmative consent; something we're trying very hard to drill the importance of into society today.

Han being a sexual assaulter actually seemed to be what UmOk was getting from the scene. Like I said, the movie makes it clear that the encounter is consensual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Lol of course a goon would require a woman to spell it out for them

Goons don't require that. They just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. They don’t even wait. And when you’re a scoundrel, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In a modern context it is considered irresponsible to romanticize relationships which progress in that manner.

Still a lot better about it than Blade Runner, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

Lol of course a goon would require a woman to spell it out for them

My dude, explicit consent is incredibly important. Don't even joke about not needing consent.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Even Bobby Peru cornering Lula in Wild at Heart seems somehow better than Deckard cornering Rachel in Blade Runner because Bobby actually leaves after Lula says what he wants her to say.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Captain Jesus posted:

Han being a sexual assaulter actually seemed to be what UmOk was getting from the scene. Like I said, the movie makes it clear that the encounter is consensual.

I wasn't saying he sexually assaulted Leelu. Although that could be the case as there is a national discussion going on right now about what constitutes sexual assault. I was just trying to say that it was messed up. And if you think clear consent involves a women saying "stop" then I don't know what to say.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:gas:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jivjov posted:

My dude, explicit consent is incredibly important. Don't even joke about not needing consent.

Uhh im not joking? Consent can come in any number of forms. If you needed a formal contract everytime you wanted to kiss someone none of us would even be here

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

You don’t have a contract?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Uhh im not joking? Consent can come in any number of forms. If you needed a formal contract everytime you wanted to kiss someone none of us would even be here

Her lips said no, but her eyes said yes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it was a blockbuster from the '80s, we're lucky it didn't involve han secretly pretending to be luke to get into her pants

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

She don't say a word
And she won't say a word
Until you kiss that girl, kiss the girl

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Luke never got consent when he penetrated the exhaust shaft with his laser sperm

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Luke never got consent when he penetrated the exhaust shaft with his laser sperm

rey's parentage is more complicated than i thought

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Come to think of it, Leia never got consent when she kissed an injured Luke.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That loving Luke and Leia kiss. God drat it Lucas. Making those two related was wholly unnecessary. Yet another strike against RotJ.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Yaws posted:

That loving Luke and Leia kiss. God drat it Lucas. Making those two related was wholly unnecessary. Yet another strike against RotJ.

When you take this plot ‘element’, the already uncomfortable nature behind the relationship between Indy and Marion in Raiders of the Lost Ark (not to mention the original age Marion was supposed to be), plus Howard the Duck; really makes you think about Lucas’ kink.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

Who cares? Luke unknowingly having the hots for his sister is funny. Especially since she looks just like his mom.

Dude wants to gently caress his mother and kill his father. What kind of filth is this? I certainly don't want it infecting my cultural touchstones.

fridge corn posted:

Dude I want to defend the Han/Leia romance on the grounds of it being inherently a fantasy and not necessarily something intended to be emulated in real life, but people like you make it awfully hard.

You don't need a formal contract to kiss someone but you also probably shouldn't corner a woman and then start putting your hands all over despite her physically pushing you away and telling you no. If you just assume you can tell she's secretly into it because that's how it works in the movies, you're going to get into some bad territory.

I don't see why we can't point stuff like this out without automatically having people respond like we're telling them the Han/Leia romance is suddenly Bad and they're Bad People for enjoying it. Some people might be saying that but I'm not. I just think it's good to draw a line between fantasy and reality.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Who cares? Luke unknowingly having the hots for his sister is funny. Especially since she looks just like his mom.

Dude wants to gently caress his mother and kill his father. What kind of filth is this? I certainly don't want it infecting my cultural touchstones.

Because this isn't a loving John Waters movie.

I have no doubt Cnut has never seen a John Waters film but someone will get me here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

I have no doubt Cnut has never seen a John Waters film but someone will get me here.

You think George Lucas, film geek and avid reader of Joseph Campbell, wouldn't have dared to steal from Sophocles?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

You're a loving dick.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

You're a loving dick.

What is your deal? I'm not trying to be a dick at all. You just don't seem like the type that has seen 'outsider cinema'. I was in now way attacking you as a person.

No need to be a jerk about it. Sheesh.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 27, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

Dude I want to defend the Han/Leia romance on the grounds of it being inherently a fantasy and not necessarily something intended to be emulated in real life, but people like you make it awfully hard.

You don't need a formal contract to kiss someone but you also probably shouldn't corner a woman and then start putting your hands all over despite her physically pushing you away and telling you no. If you just assume you can tell she's secretly into it because that's how it works in the movies, you're going to get into some bad territory.

I don't see why we can't point stuff like this out without automatically having people respond like we're telling them the Han/Leia romance is suddenly Bad and they're Bad People for enjoying it. Some people might be saying that but I'm not. I just think it's good to draw a line between fantasy and reality.

We can’t empty quote, so I’ll just say that this is the point.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

Err yeah that's fine and exactly my point too just don't get all self righteous about it okay?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

fridge corn posted:

Err yeah that's fine and exactly my point too just don't get all self righteous about it okay?

If that was your point...

fridge corn posted:

...this was a really weird way of saying that.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Captain Jesus posted:

Han is no Deckard.

Get off my plane.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

jivjov posted:

Whenever anyone says that TFA was a remake of ANH (or that TLJ is looking like a remake of ESB), I start to question if that person has ever actually watched a Star Wars film.

TFA is a blow by blow remake of the entire OT.

Act 1 strongly resembles ANH's Act 1. Act 2 strongly resembles ESB's Act 2 and Act 3 Strongly resembles Act 3 from RotJ.

That was something that felt immediately obvious to me. It's most striking with Act 3 though where the team in the air is dependent on an attack from the ground to blow up a shield generator.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Act 1 strongly resembles ANH's Act 1. Act 2 strongly resembles ESB's Act 2 and Act 3 Strongly resembles Act 3 from RotJ.
I don't see the similarities between ESB act 2 and TFA act 2 - could you elaborate?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

If that was your point...

...this was a really weird way of saying that.

The problem is a bunch of ppl itt trying to score feminism points by pointing out that Han's advances are a bit forceful and creepy (obvious) yet completely ignoring Leias agency in all this. It's she not allowed to want Han's advances? The whole series up until this point she's been a supreme all business badass, is she not allowed to let some of her deeper feelings bubble to the surface? Like it's a pretty significant character moment for Leia but let's completely misinterpret the scene and focus on Han being a dickhead because we're retards

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cat Machine posted:

I don't see the similarities between ESB act 2 and TFA act 2 - could you elaborate?

That's the weakest part of what I'm saying and I'll freely admit it. Further, the opinion on Luke's decision in ESB that this thread takes is very different to my own so also bear that in mind. I also think that's actually a reflection of how the second act is probably TFA's weakest area.

So ignoring hilarious alien interlude, Rey spends much of the second Act of TFA learning about who exactly she is. It's similar to both ANH's second and ESB's second acts where Luke spends time learning about the force. The reason I feel it most strikingly resembles ESB is because of the choices made.

So in ESB Luke gets a vision near the end of the act and basically goes "gently caress that noise," and runs off based on his impulses which is absolutely disastrous for everyone involved. Similarly Rey at the end of the act gets a similar vision that makes her run the hell off and is again, disastrous for those involved. In addition, we also have Finn basically giving up on the idea of the resistance and trying to run off as well, which means that he's unable to prevent Rey from being captured.

Thematically both acts are about the rejection of one's responsibilities in favour of doing something quick and easy and the negative consequences after.

But again, I'll freely admit that it's contingent on my own understanding of ESB and is also undercut by hilarious alien interlude.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe they don't have consent laws in that galaxy

Also it's based on being a long time ago

Like when chasing girls meant literally chasing them

Serf
May 5, 2011

the poo poo that goes down between han and leia in ESB is pretty hosed up and yet it manages to seem almost pleasant compared to that scene in blade runner

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fridge corn posted:

The problem is a bunch of ppl itt trying to score feminism points by pointing out that Han's advances are a bit forceful and creepy (obvious) yet completely ignoring Leias agency in all this. It's she not allowed to want Han's advances? The whole series up until this point she's been a supreme all business badass, is she not allowed to let some of her deeper feelings bubble to the surface? Like it's a pretty significant character moment for Leia but let's completely misinterpret the scene and focus on Han being a dickhead because we're retards

I had a post ready about who is actually removing Leia’s agency in that scene (Han), but reading back again, “score feminism points” is such a dumbass thing to say that, nah, I’m out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

1) ableist slurs aren't necessary; we're talking about some films here.

2) Han deliberately ignores Leia's agency. She literally tells him to stop and let go of her, and the moment C-3PO shows up, she bolts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

are feminism points what you use to unlock rey in battlefront 2 now?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I wish I could just stay in that other Star Wars thread, but holy poo poo it's even worse.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I had a post ready about who is actually removing Leia’s agency in that scene (Han), but reading back again, “score feminism points” is such a dumbass thing to say that, nah, I’m out.

Smart move. Pretty sure some of these guys are going to start complaining about "little white cuck-balls" soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

1) ableist slurs aren't necessary; we're talking about some films here.

2) Han deliberately ignores Leia's agency. She literally tells him to stop and let go of her, and the moment C-3PO shows up, she bolts.

Knowing what we do of Leia, a woman who is completely fearless in front of darth vader, do you not think she would be able to handle someone like Han? You don't think she wouldn't crack him one round the jaw if she really didn't want him going there? You give her too little credit. I know you mean well but your reading of the scene is unfortunate. I suggest maybe educating yourself a bit on the matter and having another look at it.