Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tendales posted:

Actually ACTUALLY, inertial balance is only required in free fall. A simple balance beam scale measures mass directly, not weight. And just lol if you're not getting out the brass counterweights for your kitchen precision.

You're right. Simple beam balances and tbbs measure mass. UNLESS THERE'S A DIFFERENCE IN GRAVITY BETWEEN ONE END OF THE SCALE AND THE OTHER!!!

I misspoke. Electric scales and spring scales measure weight, which is what I sperged out about.

My wife had us make ranch ice cream, not as a dessert (:gross:) but as a kind of frozen "dipping sauce" for fried okra. It was surprisingly good, though I'm not sure how much better than just really cold ranch.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I went from three days ago having no thanksgiving plans, to cooking an entire dinner for my parents.

I've gotta stop flagellating myself like this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Brawnfire posted:

I went from three days ago having no thanksgiving plans, to cooking an entire dinner for my parents.

I've gotta stop flagellating myself like this.

Just do a really lovely job, they'll never ask you to do it again

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scientastic posted:

Just do a really lovely job, they'll never ask you to do it again

I asked them, stupidly, but yeah maybe if I gently caress up they'll just excuse themselves next time I ask...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No, "maybe if I gently caress it up" is the wrong attitude. You're defeated before you even begin.

You need to be proactively terrible: the driest turkey that sucks moisture from your mouth the moment you open your lips, side dishes of mush, only distinguishable by their various virulent shades of luminescent primary colours, gravy that is so thick and unyielding, it defies categorisation as a liquid. That sort of thing.

Basically, you want to subcontract the whole lot to my mother. Who is English. And has no sense of smell.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hey so i took a break from the forums after zdr's tantrum in april and have mostly been posting on skullmund / not at all, but i wanted to post the conclusion to my ham story

original thread, now pre-archived:
Something Offal › impulse-bought a pre-cooked 24lb ham because it was $0.99/lb

the new thread, wherein i make ham bananas hollandaise:
Something Offal › whoaaaa black betty -- banana ham: the thrilling conclusion to a ham saga

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The most wonderful time of the year

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have a feeling there's a "what the hell do i do with a 30lb turkey" post in my future

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

No, "maybe if I gently caress it up" is the wrong attitude. You're defeated before you even begin.

You need to be proactively terrible: the driest turkey that sucks moisture from your mouth the moment you open your lips, side dishes of mush, only distinguishable by their various virulent shades of luminescent primary colours, gravy that is so thick and unyielding, it defies categorisation as a liquid. That sort of thing.

Basically, you want to subcontract the whole lot to my mother. Who is English. And has no sense of smell.

For the first time in over 20 years my mother and I didn't cook Thanksgiving dinner together. She was visiting family in Minneapolis, so I took Dad over to a family friend's house. I like that friend, she's a nice person and has done a lot for my parents. But goddamn did I miss our Thanksgiving dinner.

The turkey, when pulled from the oven, was what I'd describe as "extremely safe." The breast meat was so cooked it had pulled away from the keel bone. When I attempted to show someone how to carve the turkey, the thigh/drum fell off the carcass, separated from the bones, and self-shredded. The vegetable was 20-minute-boiled broccoli. The mashed potatoes had a trickle of milk and a dab of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, but no salt.

The company was the best part of Thanksgiving dinner. Which is always the case, actually...but the delta usually isn't quite so large.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

How come I never make dry turkeys? I keep wondering to myself.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Maybe your large dewlap and bright red snood makes them moist?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i have a feeling there's a "what the hell do i do with a 30lb turkey" post in my future
Broke this one down into parts cooked one breast sousvide to slice for sandwich meat. Made stock out of back and other bits and made a pot pie.
Other breast and wings and legs went into freezer for now.
I'm going back to snag another one just because.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Maybe your large dewlap and bright red snood makes them moist?

Amazing how you can take all the joy out of describing bird sex. Now lemme pull up to that cloaca, girl, and let’s get it on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bloody ghost titty posted:

Amazing how you can take all the joy out of describing bird sex. Now lemme pull up to that cloaca, girl, and let’s get it on.

I pause here to remind you that this is a turkey:

There is nothing about one of these fat bastard birds trying to shag that wouldn't be hilarious.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This comes in a little late, by the way, but deboning a turkey and making a ballotine out of it is probably the best way to deal with it. Juicy, easy to roast right, and you get the bones right away for stock.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i picked up a 10-lb bird, was kinda surprised to find one that small at a safeway

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's basically a chicken, really.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

except tastes worse

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GoWithChrist is cooking up some pork bones, she wants to make ramen from scratch.

Can we make ramen noodles with my standard Marcato pasta roller?
If I recall my oishibno correctly, aren't real ramen noodles hand-pulled?

EDIT: Looks like the first google result is using a Marcato.
https://gingerandscotch.com/homemade-ramen-noodles-from-scratch/

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 2, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ramen came out excellent! The dough is hard and unforgiving, but the Marcato made perfect noodles. You actually do most of the kneading with the 0 roller, just keep running it through and folding it over until it comes out smooth, and then crank down the thickness.

GoWithChrist sliced the fillets and marinaded them, I just broiled them. Came out awesome! so perfectly soft and delicious, and a just a little crispy on the outside.

The final bowl was pretty awesome. :)
Scratch made ramen noodles with tonkotsu broth, sliced pork, soft egg, and fried fish cake.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That ramen looks fantastic. Would totally eat some.

Had the first day at the new job today. Was crazy. I guess maybe that's because I have't had a new job in like 17 years and I've just been coasting for the last few, but it was a crazy workload. Spent the whole day in my boss' office just getting familiar with the place, didn't even have time to set up my email account or do official HR stuff.

On the bright side, I discovered that Monday is Burrito Monday at the office, in which everyone tries to outdo the rest of the staff by introducing the crew to a new burrito place. Today: chili colorado burritos from a Santa Maria bbq place. I think this will be a good place to work.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I need chocolate wafer cookies for a dessert. In the past, I've either A. used oreos, cream scraped off, or B. made my own. I don't have time for B. right now for a cookie party. Do y'all know of any chocolate wafer cookies you can buy in stores? There was one that I tried in the past that tasted like animal crackers which had only glanced in the general direction of a pinch of cocoa powder, sometime in a past life.

These look none too promising, based on cocoa being so low in the ingredient list.

e: the cookie recipe uses crumbled cookies as an ingredient. Don't ask why. I trust Bon Appetit cookie recipes, so I want to try these :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Found another thing for wiggles to hate Costco for

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ramen came out excellent! The dough is hard and unforgiving, but the Marcato made perfect noodles. You actually do most of the kneading with the 0 roller, just keep running it through and folding it over until it comes out smooth, and then crank down the thickness.

GoWithChrist sliced the fillets and marinaded them, I just broiled them. Came out awesome! so perfectly soft and delicious, and a just a little crispy on the outside.

The final bowl was pretty awesome. :)
Scratch made ramen noodles with tonkotsu broth, sliced pork, soft egg, and fried fish cake.

That looks great! Almost looks more like a shoyu broth than a silky creamy tonkotsu though. Id still smash it tho :getin:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 5, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Found another thing for wiggles to hate Costco for

What I love hotdogs.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

BrianBoitano posted:

I need chocolate wafer cookies for a dessert. In the past, I've either A. used oreos, cream scraped off, or B. made my own. I don't have time for B. right now for a cookie party. Do y'all know of any chocolate wafer cookies you can buy in stores? There was one that I tried in the past that tasted like animal crackers which had only glanced in the general direction of a pinch of cocoa powder, sometime in a past life.

These look none too promising, based on cocoa being so low in the ingredient list.

e: the cookie recipe uses crumbled cookies as an ingredient. Don't ask why. I trust Bon Appetit cookie recipes, so I want to try these :colbert:

Famous chocolate wafers are pretty much Oreos with the cream scraped off, those are what I'd recommend.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

this looks delicious, gj

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

cocoavalley posted:

Famous chocolate wafers are pretty much Oreos with the cream scraped off, those are what I'd recommend.

Thanks. I'll look for them in stores but it's nice that they are on Prime.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks. I'll look for them in stores but it's nice that they are on Prime.

I've found them on the east and west coasts in most grocery stores. They are usually on the top shelf in the cookie aisle, and about $5.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

That looks great! Almost looks more like a shoyu broth than a silky creamy tonkotsu though. Id still smash it tho :getin:

Yeah, I know... It was perfectly clear and creamy until I put too much soy sauce in it.

You are supposed to put a little shoyu and mirrin in the bottom of the bowl, and pour the broth over it. But the broth was unseasoned, and in attempt to balance it, I put way too much soy sauce in. GoWithChrist was livid, as she had spent like 4 hours cooking the tonkotsu broth perfectly, and I hosed it up.

It still tasted drat good, though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I know... It was perfectly clear and creamy until I put too much soy sauce in it.

You are supposed to put a little shoyu and mirrin in the bottom of the bowl, and pour the broth over it. But the broth was unseasoned, and in attempt to balance it, I put way too much soy sauce in. GoWithChrist was livid, as she had spent like 4 hours cooking the tonkotsu broth perfectly, and I hosed it up.

It still tasted drat good, though.

yeah, the "tare" as they call it can be anything salty though. Ivan Orkin uses like various sea salts and sake or something. Tare itself is a weird black magic. seasoning the broth directly tastes different than seasoning the bowl and adding the broth :iiam:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, the "tare" as they call it can be anything salty though. Ivan Orkin uses like various sea salts and sake or something. Tare itself is a weird black magic. seasoning the broth directly tastes different than seasoning the bowl and adding the broth :iiam:

OK, good to know... but the broth should be salted before hand, right?

I feel like the final broth in the bowl needs to be fairly salty, because there is no salt in the noodles.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, good to know... but the broth should be salted before hand, right?

I feel like the final broth in the bowl needs to be fairly salty, because there is no salt in the noodles.

I think? idk, I've never worked in a ramen shop, but you know me, I obsess over poo poo like a weirdo. I had a ramen phase where I was obsessed with all the different types and would literally just watch youtube videos of different ramen shops, lol. it looks like a majority of the seasoning comes from the tare which is like basically a hypersaturated seasoning solution. But yeah the broth itself should be pretty salty and for tonkotsu, pretty fatty, too, imo.

for instance, the two ladles they add at the beginning are tare and a seasoned fat of some sort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmIwxqdwgrI&t=265s

I wouldn't sweat not being "authentic" whatever that means. Half the fun of ramen is how unique it is to who made it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1NmDcCrPXE

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anyone read The Four-Hour Chef? I'm a sucker for that kinda poo poo.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BrianBoitano posted:

My dad's family uses these for pie crust on Thanksgiving. There was a period a few years ago when it was hard to find them in grocery stores around here, and it caused a minor crisis. Figures that now they're on Amazon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

God fuckign damnit there isn't anything resemblign good simple ramen within at least a ten hour drive of me and there's some like... weird fusion ramen in like a three hour drive and it's ok but it just makes me sad that I can't get a just straightforward loving ramen.

:smith:

There is some decent dandan mien though...

does anyone know of good ramen in Winnipeg

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you can't find it, cook it!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah dude it’s not the end of the world. go to the grocery store and buy two packages of ramen, eggs, one meat, and two vegetables

slice the meat thin, soft boil the eggs, boil the noodles with their seasoning, slice/chop the veggies into bite-size pieces. when the noodles are almost done, turn off the heat, add the meat and veggies to the pot, and let it sit for ~5 minutes covered with the heat off

you want the veggies to be softened but not mushy, so adjust how long you let them sit (or which ones go in when if some are tougher than others) stuff like celery or onions, the full 5 mins, stuff like spinach or tomato, just add to the bowl you eat out of and ladle the noodles on top.

that’s about as good as grocery store quick and easy ramen gets. it’s still way more satisfying and filling than the noodles by themselves. if you can find Memmi Soup Base at the grocery store in winnepeg you can replace the packaged seasoning with it, but nothing quick or easy is going to perfectly replicate restaurant-made meat broth. but that’s okay, because the above ramen beats the poo poo out of only having ramen when you drive for three hours

edit: three hours, in winter, in canada :gonk:

edit again: wait, there’s ten yelp results for ramen in winnepeg, are you really turning your nose up at all of them?

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've achieved the milky pork broth before, it really wasn't that hard. If you can get your hands on 5lbs of mostly pork bones (knuckles, or whatever), and have a pressure cooker, go for like ~4-5 hours and you'll find success. the rest is just flavoring the broth, which isn't black magic.

I think you can order sun noodles off the internet too, which 50% of the hipster artisinal ramen places use around here