Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dias posted:

You're reading too much into it. U10 dying was maybe the most somber note but it was also at most a post-it to say "well this matters for real!!". 95% of the ToP is punchman trying to beat other punchman and not caring about, y'know, ETERNAL OBLIVION, so the tone is pretty consistent. The furries got wrecked and no one gave a drat. A lot of eliminations are more people upset they lost than being upset their universe got one step closer to, again, ETERNAL OBLIVION.

The furries got wrecked and their universe died and then everyone glared angrily at the Grand Priest while he floated there menacingly with a huge grin on his face. That episode was a huge source for the "Goku and friends are going to beat up the Grand Priest" idea.

If the idea is that ETERNAL OBLIVION doesn't actually matter and no one cares, why is it even a plot point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Honestly I can't get enough of people calling him Pepsiman. That nickname really stuck.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i liked ribrianne's sidekicks more than her. they had cooler designs and attacks, shame they weren't made stronger

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

The furries got wrecked and their universe died and then everyone glared angrily at the Grand Priest while he floated there menacingly with a huge grin on his face. That episode was a huge source for the "Goku and friends are going to beat up the Grand Priest" idea.

If the idea is that ETERNAL OBLIVION doesn't actually matter and no one cares, why is it even a plot point?

It's just the stakes, you need stakes and in DBZ, you need ever-increasing stakes. "Earth gets conquered", "Earth gets destroyed", "The Universe gets conquered". "Earth was ALREADY destroyed and now you gotta save the Universe". The thing is, the tone has always been light, they're not making Bokurano. Maybe it'll get turned on its head when they try to wish everyone back, but outside of establishing those stakes, it's never painted as this severe of a thing. People didn't get ULTRA MAD at the GP, it was just a scene saying "these are the stakes". The U10 scene was sad but it was also just "these are the stakes", the weight didn't carry from Gohan being sorta sad, at least for now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gohan is the only one who really seems to give a poo poo about any of this consistently.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Genocyber posted:

A sloppy edit, but I can't have been the only one reminded of this scene, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEXoXX5jHVo

This is 100% what I thought of as well, thank you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Manatee Cannon posted:

they should have done more with ribrianne being a hypocrite imo. having her just randomly get grossed out at krillin and 18 was out of nowhere and her revelation at the end of "maybe ugly people can love too" is lame

I mean, there was the part where she said her wish was going to be to make everyone love her or something like that

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
17 and 18 being synchronized as they ran up Ribrianne's arm was a neat little touch. Even if it was unintentional or just them reusing the same frames for 18's animation.

Still waiting for that Accel Dance.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Piccolo's out next ep, bet on it. Piccolo biting it is what'll push Gohan to his limit and Jiren's gonna take notice.

Bonus points if Gohan figures out ultra instinct before poor Vegeta.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Sade posted:

Piccolo's out next ep, bet on it. Piccolo biting it is what'll push Gohan to his limit and Jiren's gonna take notice.

Bonus points if Gohan figures out ultra instinct before poor Vegeta.

Piccolo will get knocked out saving Gohan, surprising no one

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
17 jumping out of nowhere to barrier was awesome and Rozie's atatatatatatatatataas will be missed

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Rozie owns if only for her punch noises.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kanos posted:

Because it’s a children’s cartoon and children are dumb and credulous.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Gohan will surprise everyone by saving Piccolo for the first time in his life, and get eliminated.

Piccolo will rage powerup over the loss of his son, taking out his anger on the first opponent he sees, which will happen to be Pepsiman.

Pepsiman will have to Mode Change into 'I can take 300 times more damage mode' to try and survive his fury.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They really should have had 9 and 10 last longer, they could have at least inflated the numbers of some of these characters.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

tsaofen posted:

Apologies for the quick and dirty youtube doubler thing, but this is all I could see...

http://youtubedoubler.com/miwv

(Yes, tovarich!)

Horosho! Very Good!

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

We know everyone's going to be fine at the end. That part doesn't matter. What matters it that the characters don't know.

It's drama, not mystery.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Piccolo hasn't been anything but Gohan's damsel in distress since the Cell saga and that bothers me. I really hope he doesn't exist in this tournament just to job and make Gohan rage out. The whole point of this drat arc is to let side characters have some airtime without fellating Goku the entire time.

KRILLIN has done more in Super so far. loving KRILLIN

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Piccolo gonna absorb the other nameks and then he's gonna be teh strongest and coolest and even goku and jiren are gonna bow down to him :unsmith:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, if Piccolo can stretch his arms, can he do that with ALL his appendages? All of them?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, looking at who's left makes me wish Kefla had either lasted longer or didn't show up until later because I don't care about any of these left overs except Jiren I guess(and even that is more wondering how Goku is going to beat him).

The namekians seem like they might be cool, but I doubt they're making past the next episode. I guess the combiner bots can give 17 or Freeza something to do for an episode. Those hidden fighters might turn into something neat, but until then they just kind of exist. :shrug:

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

RIP Obuni’s weird potato baby.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I complained about Rib, but it was a really cool episode, and she's not that bad. 18's fight was really cool, and I loved getting to see her bonding with 17 over family life. It's so cool that all these characters have grown and found love and started families. Goku found Chi-Chi, Bulma found Vegeta, Krillin found 18, 17 has a quiet life out in the country with some people you never met, Yajirobe got a cat, Tien's doin' his thing and you don't really know but you kinda know, Yamcha's just sad, Piccolo is an asexual green slug-man, Mai is... um... well... you know, it's all the relatable stories from our day to day lives.

Back to Ribrianne, I wanna explain why I got tired of her. Like others said, for me, it's partially that she had a shallow gimmick that I felt got worn out pretty quickly. Remember those guys that made up goofy, annoying names for every attack? Imagine if they had continued. I like magical girl shows, and I thought the Kamikaze Fireballs as a group were great, but Brianne in particular was really, really repetitive. Even for DBZ.

The bigger annoyance for me, though, was that they sort of used Ribrianne as a filler character to keep the show from moving forward and keep any actual interesting events from happening. Like - OK, Vegeta's getting a fight next episode, who's it gonna be, someone cool maybe! No! Ribrianne's back! And you know they're not even going to have any sort of forward momentum; she's just gonna sort of hold him in a stalemate for the rest of the episode.

Evil Canadian posted:

Piccolo gonna absorb the other nameks and then he's gonna be teh strongest and coolest and even goku and jiren are gonna bow down to him :unsmith:

It's gonna disappoint me so much when they inevitably do this. They've already done it like six times for Piccolo, and Namekians can just do so much more! How about learning how to use some variation on the Green King Kong form that doesn't make you a huge target somehow? Or the Red Eye Namekian form from Dragon Ball Heroes, or something totally new, or even something totally different from a transformation, like teaching him some crazy new moves. I'm just so bored with Namekian fusion... doesn't look any different, and it's a one-time boost that'll just leave him in the same place he is now next time he gets in a fight with a stronger foe.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 26, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

extra row of teeth posted:

Piccolo hasn't been anything but Gohan's damsel in distress since the Cell saga and that bothers me. I really hope he doesn't exist in this tournament just to job and make Gohan rage out. The whole point of this drat arc is to let side characters have some airtime without fellating Goku the entire time.

KRILLIN has done more in Super so far. loving KRILLIN

He got a cool fight against Frost at least, that had nothing to do with Gohan. It did make him look kind of stupid though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He should get turned back into King Piccolo and start spitting out mutant namekians or whatever they were called.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Where does Piccolo fall on the power scale anyway? Like, is he stronger than Krillin? Where does he compare to, say, Super Saiyan Goku for instance?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Where does Piccolo fall on the power scale anyway? Like, is he stronger than Krillin? Where does he compare to, say, Super Saiyan Goku for instance?

He's about as strong as a SSJ2.

So way above Kriller

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Goku > Vegeta > Frieza > everyone else

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ribrianne was upsetting because there were a lot of things to like about her, but ultimately none of those things were really anything but hollow.

She's a female fighter with a cool gimmick in a series which is still sorely lacking in ladies even after its most lady-ful arc... but she doesn't really get to be a serious threat to anybody. She's a neat design who isn't conventionally attractive... but it looks like that was meant to be a joke after all. She has a philosophy that directly opposes Goku's way of looking at things and could be a neat foil for him... but she holds it at the most immature level possible so she isn't an ideological match for him or anybody.

Any of those things could have been great if they'd had any weight, but they didn't, and I think that's why Ribrianne is unpopular.

(Also, sexism because let's not forget that)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ribrianne is a character I would like to see mature and grow.

If she truly does get her power from the concept of love, understanding and embracing its deeper meanings would make her a lot stronger and better.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Don't bring in that weak excuse again.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Momomo posted:

He got a cool fight against Frost at least, that had nothing to do with Gohan. It did make him look kind of stupid though.

You're right, I totally forgot about that fight because it had such a limpdick ending.

While there are plenty of NO GIRLS ALLOWED IN MY MANLY MAN SHOW fans, Ribrianne's unpopularity goes much deeper and has many more reasons (most of which have been laid out in the thread already).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Don't bring in that weak excuse again.

Ah yes, the feminist paradise of Japan.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Burkion posted:

Ribrianne is a character I would like to see mature and grow.

If she truly does get her power from the concept of love, understanding and embracing its deeper meanings would make her a lot stronger and better.

I'd bet on her and her two buddies being recurring characters after this, so maybe.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Honestly like 90% of the REEE FEMALES screeching that I've seen on other forums has been directed at the U6 girls, because how dare they be powerful enough to even touch Goku and get SSJ/2 easily (never mind Goten and Trunks)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rand Brittain posted:

There's a pretty easy way to test this: were people in this thread this annoyed by her when she first transformed into an unconventionally attractive character? Or did that gradually build up to now as she fought over and over without really doing anything?

I don't know exact screentime, but she got five friggin' fights. Ribrianne vs Vegeta, Ribrianne vs 17, Ribrianne vs Vegeta again, Ribrianne vs Goku, Ribrianne vs 18 & 17. How many other fighters got five separate fights against the U7 team? I think the Goku fight was pretty minor, but that one was particularly annoying to me 'cause he was about to fight Frost, which coulda been really cool.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Lot of people assuming Gohan is gonna do something fantastic while simultaneously forgetting the culmination of a dozen episodes or so of Gohan training his super ultimate hidden power led to him getting clowned by Buu anyways.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Ribrianne was upsetting because there were a lot of things to like about her, but ultimately none of those things were really anything but hollow.

She's a female fighter with a cool gimmick in a series which is still sorely lacking in ladies even after its most lady-ful arc...

Yeah I'm gonna have to challenge that. Her gimmick was decent at first, but it got old very fast when it became obvious that it was just heart shaped ki blasts and nothing more

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

extra row of teeth posted:

Honestly like 90% of the REEE FEMALES screeching that I've seen on other forums has been directed at the U6 girls, because how dare they be powerful enough to even touch Goku and get SSJ/2 easily (never mind Goten and Trunks)
I just don't like them because they're annoying as poo poo. They have the negative traits of Goku and Vegeta without any of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I just don't like them because they're annoying as poo poo. They have the negative traits of Goku and Vegeta without any of the charm.

You're really not helping your case

E: They (at least caulifla) have pretty much the exact same charm. Fight happy and overconfident. You seeing that as a negative with them but not Goku/Vegeta kind of speaks volumes

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 27, 2017