Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Add Kevin Steele to that list.

That said the upside is no matter who they hire (if Schiano doesn't happen) the fanbase will be like at least it is not that PSU guy.

its the long con of the lane train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

LeeMajors posted:

This is the wildest carousel I can remember, goddamn.

Was just about to post this. Today is the single craziest day in the carousel I can remember

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Bielema seems like a really bad fit in the PAC-12

can't wait to see bert pass out trying to coach at elevation in colorado

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Lol at A&M hopping on the carousel this year. More money than sense and expectations that in no way align with the realities of the schools ceiling.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Really gently caress everyone who doesn't hire Mangino this offseason of all offseasons.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the doorways are too narrow

Too much kale

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

graham's a kind of lovely coach and whoever you get will be at least as good or better

I was very down on him at the beginning of the season and probably posted "Fire Todd Graham!" somewhere, but the team came around. This morning when I heard the news, I went back and looked at the previous ASU coaches:

Graham:
8-5
10-4 (won the Pac 12 South. Lost championship game and Holiday Bowl)
10-3
6-7
5-7
7-5

Erickson:
10-3 (tied for Pac 10 championship, blown out in Holiday Bowl)
5-7
4-8
6-6
6-7

Koetter:
4-7
8-6
5-7
9-3
7-5
7-6

Bruce Snyder:
6-5
6-5
3-8
6-5
3-8
6-5
11-1 (Narrowly defeated in Rose Bowl. They likely would've won a national championship if they got one more stop. Ironically, ASU was defeated by John Cooper's Ohio State team. Cooper coached ASU to its lone Rose Bowl victory years earlier before leaving for tOSU.)
9-3
5-6
6-6
6-6

Larry Marmie:
6-5
6-4-1
4-7
6-5

John Cooper
8-4
10-1-1 (Won Rose Bowl.)
7-4-1
Left for Ohio State having never beaten UofA.

Darryl Rogers
7-4
9-2
10-2
6-4-1
5-6

Frank Kush won lots of games in the WAC and then punched a player and got run out of town. Now there's a statue and the field is named after him.

Basically, the history of ASU football is mediocrity. Graham's record compares favorably with anyone post-Kush. He brought discipline that was sorely lacking from the Erickson era and academically the team has been the best it's ever been. To improve on the current situation, ASU basically needs to hire the best coach in the program's history while paying Graham $12 million to leave. I'll be pumped if that pans out, but it doesn't look like a smart bet to me.

FreakyMetalKid fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Really gently caress everyone who doesn't hire Mangino this offseason of all offseasons.

He's been out of coaching for 2 years at this point hasn't he? And was bad before that with everything post-Reesing.

Jim Leavitt should definitely be getting some calls though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*steps up to mic, taps it a few times to make sure its on*

Rod Broadway?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/raynorscheine/status/934905537573085184

loving what? Did they just find out?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You know Sumlin might be the perfect hire given what has happen. He wasn't fired when we tried to hire the other guy, and Currie can say 'Well Sumlin was always my first choice".

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
How do you gently caress up, not even a HIRE, a name floated out there that you might hire, so bad that you get fired yourself.

That's loving impressive.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sumlin doesn't seem like a bad coach, really, just had the bad luck to come along when Darth Saban is cackling on his throne.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Athanatos posted:

How do you gently caress up, not even a HIRE, a name floated out there that you might hire, so bad that you get fired yourself.

That's loving impressive.

The only way he comes out clean is a press conference with him going “Schiano was being looked at as DC for the head coach [name redacted] and we realize our mistake. Here’s your new HC and the DC search continues.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/barrettsallee/status/934920630209777664

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

You know Sumlin might be the perfect hire given what has happen. He wasn't fired when we tried to hire the other guy, and Currie can say 'Well Sumlin was always my first choice".

he also has one important stat in his corner even though it doesnt mean much for him personally: he beat saban

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Randaconda posted:

Sumlin doesn't seem like a bad coach, really, just had the bad luck to come along when Darth Saban is cackling on his throne.

i really don't get why people think sumlin's some great coach though

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/934921299461259264

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee should hire Hugh Freeze. Calling prostitutes seems less bad by comparison.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Press Sec. of the united states gettin in on the action

Trump tweet next?

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Sarah-Huckabee-Sanders-makes-scathing-Facebook-post-about-Greg-Schiano-111177850

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He had a pretty good run at Houston?

Everyone seems to have a pretty good run at Houston.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Officially official

https://twitter.com/gatorsfb/status/934922250742128640

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grittybeard posted:

He had a pretty good run at Houston?

Everyone seems to have a pretty good run at Houston.

He had some really good assistants then, and sort of fell into talent recruited by art briles

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think people are saying that he's great.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Jesus today has been great for the carousel drama

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

No more wild ride :woop:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

"Awful person finally faces consequences after years of cover-ups and/or silence" has been a big theme the last couple months.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't think people are saying that he's great.

like every vacancy that came up for the last like five years sumlin was mentioned, and especially at the pro level

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funny how these people only care now about it :ironicat:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Randaconda posted:

It's not his record against Saban that killed him, it was his record against Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze and post-peak Les Miles and Ed Orgeron

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 27, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

hifi posted:

I agree and it feels like the money's finally starting to pour in after years of expansion, but he's also saying stuff like:

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/934880533967904768

and on top of a 12 million dollar buyout, what exactly is the plan here to vault us into being a top 15 team

I hope they get schiano

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sorry Ohio State, you had plenty of time; you don't get to be outraged about this now

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Trump calls for bringing back Joe Paterno statues at his rallies soooo

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I honestly didn’t know about the Schiano-Sandusky stuff until today so I can’t blame Ohio State fans too much

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/gatorsscott/status/934923906099630080

lol shots fired at Mac

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Finally something to break the 2-year coordinator cycle at Ohio State. Child rape complicity :thumbsup:

General Dog posted:

Sorry Ohio State, you had plenty of time; you don't get to be outraged about this now

I'm only outraged when it's convenient.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lmao her boss is basically endorsing a senate candidate that is accused of molesting teens. SheHuck is a garbage person.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Holy crap even Tebow with a subtle dig at Mac

https://twitter.com/timtebow/status/934925454548627456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kirk's a rapist too

Pandanaut posted:

Obviously this is the long game for Tennessee to get Gruden.

He'll get to be AD too

• Locked thread