Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is the normal reply but I'm going to call bullshit. Why? Because the AI can't use the hexes right and the multiplayer sucks.

I mean right AT ALL, the AI literally still has no idea how to use a loving hex. So basically they swapped to a tactical hex system over a square system that game itself cannot handle and only the player can exploit and I think it's assss despite liking hexes better.

I'll take squares that the AI knows how to move through.

Managing 20 cities is a slog.. so instead of fixing that we'll just make the ideal empire have four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is the normal reply but I'm going to call bullshit. Why? Because the AI can't use the hexes right and the multiplayer sucks.

I mean right AT ALL, the AI literally still has no idea how to use a loving hex. So basically they swapped to a tactical hex system over a square system that game itself cannot handle and only the player can exploit and I think it's assss despite liking hexes better.

I'll take squares that the AI knows how to move through.

The CIV 6 AI was literally incapable of attacking a town under most circumstances, and I'm not convinced they ever fully fixed it. AI units will spend most of their time just running in circles around a city like a bunch of morons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To keep with the Diablo theme, Blizzard in general has been complete garbage since the 90's with the exception of Starcraft being sort of fun. actual Warcraft is dead, WOW is the stupidest game I've ever seen, Diablo sucks, and Overwatch is a boring crap shooter that just ripped off another game with the worst fanboys ever, and created fanboys that are somehow even worse.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

To keep with the Diablo theme, Blizzard in general has been complete garbage since the 90's with the exception of Starcraft being sort of fun. actual Warcraft is dead, WOW is the stupidest game I've ever seen, Diablo sucks, and Overwatch is a boring crap shooter that just ripped off another game with the worst fanboys ever, and created fanboys that are somehow even worse.

It's all true

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still kind of shocked that EA bought Respawn with how much of a seething hatred Vince Zampella seems to have for big publishers and their whole thing at the beginning seemed to about remaining independent and holding their own IP's. I'm guessing it wasn't a move they wanted to make, but that's what happens when your game doesn't sell a fraction of what it deserves to.

My opinion is that they're going to ride this cash cow until it falls on it's side gasping for air and then..

1) Fallout with EA
2) Everyone quits
3) Desperate EA re-staffs "Respawn" with a cannibalized company (Hello Dice, welcome to the sacrificial pit)
4) Everyone that matters at Respawn joins a new Vince Zampella company
5) History repeats itself a 4th time.

The Dennis System posted:

The GTA phone ports were pretty much unplayable with touch controls. (Or maybe I just suck).

I had the reverse experience, tearing through both Vice City and San Andreas better than I ever could on a regular controller.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

steinrokkan posted:

The CIV 6 AI was literally incapable of attacking a town under most circumstances, and I'm not convinced they ever fully fixed it. AI units will spend most of their time just running in circles around a city like a bunch of morons.

So, the whole combat system was inspired by Panzer General, whose AI was pretty bad, too, but:

1. The maps were big enough to make 1upt ok, they also weren't random and were tailored for the scenarios.

2. The AI didn't need to be good because in that game you were racing against the clock. The AI mostly was just there to spoil your attacks on defensive positions and fire artillery.

In a civ game, neither of those are the case so you get something that kinda sucks.

I'm still waiting for a good successor to colonization or imperialism.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why terrible, hacked together AI is considered acceptable in 2017 for a hex based strategy games.

We're in a world where AI makes smarter decisions in realtime strategy game moving 50 units at a time on a map with no grid or hexes. It's utterly unacceptable the loving game can't manage a handful of cities and a low res hex grid.

Panzeh posted:

Managing 20 cities is a slog.. so instead of fixing that we'll just make the ideal empire have four.

What burns me too is the whole reason they got rid of Tech Trading as a thing in 5-6 was because the PRO L337 H4RDC0RE Civilization players found it to be OP in their INTENSE MULTIPLAYER. Literally, that's why.

People might bitch it's a crutch but you know what Tech Trading did in Civ? It both made a realistic "normalized" world, where most of the big nations eventually will get the tech and stay somewhat competitive (note: Since then the AI can't keep up for poo poo with R&D even with it's cheating rear end), and more importantly it had a huge metagame around it. If you trade your tech you KNOW the rear end in a top hat you are trading it too is going to trade it as well and next thing your mortal enemies all have your tech.

But no, two people paying a poo poo load of gold to Roll random dice and see whatever tech comes up is better, doubly so since you both get different techs and one might walk out with Submarines and the other Medical science.

So loving dumb. So many loving dumb console-Civ inspired decisions under the hood. So much more detail exists under the hood of Civ 4 vanilla, let alone BTS, it's mind blowing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 26, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Blazing Ownager posted:

So loving dumb. So many loving dumb console-Civ inspired decisions under the hood. So much more detail exists under the hood of Civ 4 vanilla, let alone BTS, it's mind blowing.

Honestly, if someone put some work into it, the console civ was actually a pretty neat idea. The implementation was a bit off in places, but a civ game that can be played in an evening is a good idea. Unfortunately everyone wants to make over-long 4x games without much of a care for the mid and end games so we get the crop of trash we get.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

My unpopular opinion is that they are on the same level they've always been, but they're older and more corporate so their products don't have that scrappy feel.

And Overwatch is a good game with good fans.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

mind the walrus posted:

And Overwatch is a good game with good fans.

Overwatch may be a good game, we may have different metrics on what makes a fanbase good that we can agree to respect, but holy poo poo what about overwatch's fanbase is "good" and not "literal children", "socially stunted obsessive nerd who has invested their sense of self worth in a game", and "widowmaker fetishist"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Overwatch "has good fans" is like the "Hitler was right" of videogame opinions.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrPossum posted:

Overwatch may be a good game, we may have different metrics on what makes a fanbase good that we can agree to respect, but holy poo poo what about overwatch's fanbase is "good" and not "literal children", "socially stunted obsessive nerd who has invested their sense of self worth in a game", and "widowmaker fetishist"
Counterpoint: Name a fanbase that is substantially different.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

mind the walrus posted:

Counterpoint: Name a fanbase that is substantially different.

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuG9oBz8ak&t=166s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s-a1vp4LLk

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

veni veni veni posted:

third party RTS games are stealing the thunder from Blizzard

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What RTS games are there, I've been looking for some (well, passively) and there don't seem to be any worth mentioning.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

steinrokkan posted:

What RTS games are there, I've been looking for some (well, passively) and there don't seem to be any worth mentioning.

Go play wargame/steel division, they're pretty much the best RTS games since starcraft 2.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Grey Goo was the last traditional RTS I can remember and that's a couple of years old. It seemed pretty good.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

My opinion is that they're going to ride this cash cow until it falls on it's side gasping for air and then..

1) Fallout with EA
2) Everyone quits
3) Desperate EA re-staffs "Respawn" with a cannibalized company (Hello Dice, welcome to the sacrificial pit)
4) Everyone that matters at Respawn joins a new Vince Zampella company
5) History repeats itself a 4th time.

You forgot these two:
6) The next Respawn title doesn't fulfill EA's expectations, only selling four or five million copies
7) Respawn is shut down

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

Grey Goo was the last traditional RTS I can remember and that's a couple of years old. It seemed pretty good.

It was a real shame they named their strategy video game "Grey Goo".

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

steinrokkan posted:

the 8 bit series seems fun and cheap

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I'd kill for a Red Alert 2 and Generals remake/remaster and a continuation in the series that isn't as cartoony as Red Alert 3 was

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magius1337est posted:

I'd kill for a Red Alert 2 and Generals remake/remaster and a continuation in the series that isn't as cartoony as Red Alert 3 was

Generals: Zero Hour and Yuri's Revenge were the two best RTS games ever made

I know StarCraft people love their "lololololol 300 keys per minute" gameplay but C&C actually has some strategy to it.

I guess that's the unpopular opinion of this post. That there's more strategy and depth in C&C Zero Hour or Yuri's Revenge than SC1 & 2 combined, gently caress which one got popular in South Korea. All competitive StarCraft is about is memorizing specific build orders then executing them super fast because ADD people can only play on FASTEST setting.. I loving hate it.

You actually have time and ways to react to people in good C&C games

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Magius1337est posted:

This right here. I've played RA2 more times than I can count. I always loved seeing if I could beat most maps using only hordes of Conscripts. So many casualties, but there are always more Conscripts.

Plus it makes Yuri mind control worthless.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Especially since the computer was too dumb to just move them over with tanks. I was super sad when my endgame tech of TWO conscripts was moved to the new faction with the expansion.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

World in conflict

That is all

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Dungeons 2 and 3 are actually fun and now that 3 has a random endless mode I'm disappointed more people haven't picked up on it. The RTS portion isn't that good, but the dungeon making is just as good as Dungeon Keeper.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Especially since the computer was too dumb to just move them over with tanks. I was super sad when my endgame tech of TWO conscripts was moved to the new faction with the expansion.

They actually changed that so the AI would. It's just when you have a couple hundred Conscripts the tanks die so fast they only run over a few before exploding.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ditty bout my clitty posted:

World in conflict

That is all

Wargame was better and less gimmicky and steel division is better than wargame.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Blazing Ownager posted:

Generals: Zero Hour and Yuri's Revenge were the two best RTS games ever made

I know StarCraft people love their "lololololol 300 keys per minute" gameplay but C&C actually has some strategy to it.

I guess that's the unpopular opinion of this post. That there's more strategy and depth in C&C Zero Hour or Yuri's Revenge than SC1 & 2 combined, gently caress which one got popular in South Korea. All competitive StarCraft is about is memorizing specific build orders then executing them super fast because ADD people can only play on FASTEST setting.. I loving hate it.

You actually have time and ways to react to people in good C&C games

8 unit selection limit plus micromanaging each specific unit's command since they'll just walk single file into gunfire is apparently good gameplay

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite RTS match ever was in Yuri's Revenge, where I was fighting some super pro guy who was a trash talking soviet tank rusher working off a guide but had a high rank. I knew I'd never beat him in a tank battle so I just put out like 10 Yuri Clones, and put them in my power center to look like a defenseless noob.

As expected, he showed up in record time with a horde of like 12 tanks. I let him blow up a few trash buildings, and when he got close to the power plants... eject yuri clones. Instantly took his entire rush, killed the 2 I couldn't, and sent it right back up his rear end. So much raging anger from him.

limp_cheese posted:

This right here. I've played RA2 more times than I can count. I always loved seeing if I could beat most maps using only hordes of Conscripts. So many casualties, but there are always more Conscripts.

Plus it makes Yuri mind control worthless.

In Vanilla RA2 infantry were WAYYYYYY more powerful than most people realized. Like, way overpowered, "crush the top 10 players in the game" overpowered. Just go Iraq and mix in a bunch of Tesla Troops and desolators with a LOOOOOOT of conscripts on the cloning vats. The heavy armor means they can't be plowed over by vehicles, the desolators slaughter dogs (and can go out with an AOE), and the conscript make it impossible to for the tank armies to pick off the force, and flak cover the air. I'm talking like 100+ troops; it's creeping death, it's almost unstoppable (outside of fighting Iraq or Britan, in which case... no). That said by YR the best counter to this was Poison, who would put down that entire mob in about 3 seconds. 1 in an IFV.

That said the BEST vehicle in RA2 nobody loving used outside of me and 2 friends, which we dubbed the "DesTrack." You load 5 Desolators into a Half-Track, make like two of them (cheap with clone vats) and then just send the vehicle straight into a pack of light armor like prism tanks and stuff. The VEHICLE blows up almost instantly, but killing the Desolators is real hard so they all pop out and activate.. it wipes out EVERYTHING except heavy tanks in like 2 seconds. I am honestly surprised it never caught on / got used because it was just amazingly good.

FoolyCharged posted:

Mixing 1 heavy trooper per 5 light troopers make it nearly impossible to mow down infantry like that. Real helpful.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 26, 2017

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

steinrokkan posted:

Against all odds Total War: Warhammer 2 wound up being arguably the best modern Total War game.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

It was a real shame they named their strategy video game "Grey Goo".

Grey Goo was fun but the units looked WAYY too similar at a distance. Very little distinction.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Blood 2 deserves another chance.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I tried Grey Goo but I went in looking for a reskinned Command and Conquer and couldn't wrap my head around the new things they were trying to teach me. I quit after the first level.

gently caress, ai think I have to load up the Complete Collection off of Origin and get my C and C fix.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's a travesty that no other game used die by the sword's freestyle sword combat

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Eternal darkness was the last good Nintendo exclusive that wasn't a sequel or remake

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Eternal Darkness is bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

spec ops the line had really good combat, though that last fight up the hill was too hard imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The new Wolfenstein games should just be two hour movies.