Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Biplane posted:

Yeah for some reason the spawn system works by having spawn waves every 10 seconds and it matches up whoever died into new squads in these waves. Its beyond retarded. Like, even if you party up with some friends you'd have to never die in order to stay in the same squad.

And yet despite its many, many flaws I love it. Guess I'm the retard here :smith:

Or all die together, like true friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The stealth in New Colossus really feels jankier than the last two games. Commanders are getting alerts despite the mooks getting shot before they could yell or shoot it feels. Maybe I'm just crazy though. Super glad I only paid $15 for this rather than full price.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

The stealth in New Colossus really feels jankier than the last two games. Commanders are getting alerts despite the mooks getting shot before they could yell or shoot it feels. Maybe I'm just crazy though. Super glad I only paid $15 for this rather than full price.

I don't get how one gun going off means it's time for the alarms to sound, but two bodies with bullet wounds to the skull and one with an axe in the face shin means it's time to slowly take a look around and see just what in the heck is going on around here

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

I don't get how one gun going off means it's time for the alarms to sound, but two bodies with bullet wounds to the skull and one with an axe in the face shin means it's time to slowly take a look around and see just what in the heck is going on around here

Maybe I'm just burnt out since the last time games I played were New Order and Old Blood but this is not as good as I'd hoped it would be.

Edit: I just loaded a save after getting spotted by one of the heavy armor soldiers and he was not standing beside me when I saved, he was on the other side of a room behind some crates. When I load? He's standing directly in front of me.

Len has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah I bounced off TNC hardcore because it just didn't feel as tight of an experience after TNO. Between the wonkier alarm sounding and lack of solid feedback regarding taking damage it just doesn't feel as good to play.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bussamove posted:

Yeah I bounced off TNC hardcore because it just didn't feel as tight of an experience after TNO. Between the wonkier alarm sounding and lack of solid feedback regarding taking damage it just doesn't feel as good to play.

I haven't bounced off it yet, but it's a serious slip from the previous game's quality level in two seriously important areas.

I still absolutely love the characters and writing, and the gunplay is better, and the upgrade system is cleaner, and the set pieces have hit "straight up loving insane" territory, but those two areas are so core to the fuckin' thing it hurts that they're not as good as they should be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just made the judgment call that from here on out I'm gonna just say gently caress stealth and go through guns blazing. Roswell took entirely too long with me struggling with the mechanic because I'm a bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Biplane posted:

And yet despite its many, many flaws I love it. Guess I'm the retard here :smith:

Hey, it's not just EA being scumbags, Bungie's been doing that too with their XP system.

Personally I just hope Monolith Productions gets put under the magnifying glass soon so they take out whatever nefarious systems they have in place before I buy it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Am I the only one who, in a game with weapon upgrading, will often put together a "Shopping list" and look up where to get some of the more annoying items more consistently? In Pandora's Tower I'm feeling underpowered, and my Scythe is barely upgraded, although on the level of my high level sword, so I've put together a list of all the total stuff that I'll need to upgrade my scythe at least to the same level as the sword (the sword is level 7 with 215 strength, the Scythe is only level 2 but with 216), which will make it monstrously powerful, because I've reached an annoying boss and the enemies are starting to take quite a beating, so I want more raw damage.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m honestly stunned at the great reception TNC has been getting. I only beat it out of stubbornness because goddamnit I paid $30 for it and I’ll get my money’s worth. I think the biggest issue for me was how cramped everything was. Every map was just a series of narrow hallways. Every now and then a hallway would fold in on itself a few times to give the illusion of openness.

The fact that you spend the first half of the game with half health was an unbelievably terrible decision too. You get double armor but that’s basically meaningless since you still take health damage when being shot at even if you have armor.

It kinda seems like they wanted to make a lovely cover shooter instead of a Wolfenstein game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’m honestly stunned at the great reception TNC has been getting. I only beat it out of stubbornness because goddamnit I paid $30 for it and I’ll get my money’s worth. I think the biggest issue for me was how cramped everything was. Every map was just a series of narrow hallways. Every now and then a hallway would fold in on itself a few times to give the illusion of openness.

The fact that you spend the first half of the game with half health was an unbelievably terrible decision too. You get double armor but that’s basically meaningless since you still take health damage when being shot at even if you have armor.

It kinda seems like they wanted to make a lovely cover shooter instead of a Wolfenstein game.

I dropped the game 2 hours in because I got tired of dying in 2 seconds to damage I wasn't even aware I was receiving. Also, the stealth and captain system sucks. Finally, manually picking up armor and health piece by piece is not fun and whomever didn't revamp that clearly didn't play through Doom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crafting systems in general can just go to hell.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MiddleOne posted:

I recommend SGF.

SGF? Super G-Virus Fuckery?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, I've read a lot of stuff about this sort of nonsense, and I don't buy it (we get it, you hate capitalism and corporations, enough) and don't feel that's the reason why I'm not into it as much.

Honestly, I think it just might be that the plant you grow isn't a nice green, but is a pale yellow, and that since there's a day/night cycle, it's just a different visual spectrum sometimes. :iiam:
Oh, uh, hm.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

SGF? Super G-Virus Fuckery?

LP-forum superstar and beloved treasure Supergreatfriend :(

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzZPlIzJoPw

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Nov 26, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Finally, manually picking up armor and health piece by piece is not fun and whomever didn't revamp that clearly didn't play through Doom.

You pick up armour shards automatically while running, at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Somfin posted:

You pick up armour shards automatically while running, at least.

A disturbing number of combat challenges in the beginning hours are resolved by relentlessly digging through doodads in cupboards for armor parts and healthkits mid-battle.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I the only one who, in a game with weapon upgrading, will often put together a "Shopping list" and look up where to get some of the more annoying items more consistently? In Pandora's Tower I'm feeling underpowered, and my Scythe is barely upgraded, although on the level of my high level sword, so I've put together a list of all the total stuff that I'll need to upgrade my scythe at least to the same level as the sword (the sword is level 7 with 215 strength, the Scythe is only level 2 but with 216), which will make it monstrously powerful, because I've reached an annoying boss and the enemies are starting to take quite a beating, so I want more raw damage.

You're not. In fact, Horizon: Zero Dawn has a built in function to create a shopping list quest for anything you want to create or trade for.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Biplane posted:

Yeah for some reason the spawn system works by having spawn waves every 10 seconds and it matches up whoever died into new squads in these waves. Its beyond retarded. Like, even if you party up with some friends you'd have to never die in order to stay in the same squad.

:psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:psyboom:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Testekill posted:

The optional recruits in Suikoden 2 are a massive pain in the rear end; there are four optional flying squirrels to recruit and you get them by wandering between certain areas with an empty spot in your party and it's pure luck if they join. Even worse are the kraken; when you recruit the beastmaster character you get two crystals which allow you to communicate to beasts, you need to use one of them to recruit the gryphon since you get a required character with him and you can pick between a kraken and a unicorn for the other and everyone picks the Unicorn because he has one of the funniest scenes in the game.
The annoying thing is that there's a second kraken you can recruit but getting her locks you out of the best ending since it prevents you from recruiting the character you get with the gryphon. Finally if you get both kraken then you can recruit their kid as an optional character but you'll never get him because you are deliberately screwing yourself since you don't unlock the final spell for the main character if you don't have all 108 stars of destiny by a certain plot point.

TLDR; squirrels are a pain in the rear end and a pure RNG to encounter while getting all 3 of the Kraken locks you out of the best ending and prevents you from getting the strongest healing & damaging spell in the game.

This entire post is utter madness

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A general confusion is to be expected with a new game, I suppose, but I'm failing to be taught basic-as-poo poo things in Starbound, and I'm considering a refund with maybe 15 minutes into the game. Ten of that was the mountainous world I first stepped foot on, and died in two hits from a random mob.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MisterBibs posted:

A general confusion is to be expected with a new game, I suppose, but I'm failing to be taught basic-as-poo poo things in Starbound, and I'm considering a refund with maybe 15 minutes into the game. Ten of that was the mountainous world I first stepped foot on, and died in two hits from a random mob.

git gud

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Samuringa posted:

This entire post is utter madness

I have a vague impression that I loved Suikoden 2 as a kid but that I really should never ever play it again because it's also full of ridiculous bullshit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Starbound was a very promising experiment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

Starbound is bad an hilariously enough No Man's Sky does everything it does better, except for the cute 2D sprite art.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Starbound is a bad trash game though. I refunded that poo poo too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Starbound is bad an hilariously enough No Man's Sky does everything it does better, except for the cute 2D sprite art.

Wasn't Starbound the game that started out with enemies having regular attack animations and projectiles and stuff, but then switched to glitchy contact damage partway through development because of reasons?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
refund starbound if you can. get terraria instead, it is so much better, so much more polished. starbound's only draw is that it looks and sounds pretty. everything about it inside is bad

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't Starbound the game that started out with enemies having regular attack animations and projectiles and stuff, but then switched to glitchy contact damage partway through development because of reasons?

I can't remember enemies ever having attack animations, so maybe. They bragged a lot about having infinite varieties of randomly generated enemies on every planet! But every enemy was the same because they just charged at you. Except the flying ones which just kind of flew at you and were impossible to hit. Then like halfway through the development, after fulfilling absolutely zero steps on their much touted road of development thing, the dev team just gave up and decided that their entire end-game goal was PVP and player-generated content instead of actually making their own drat game so I stopped playing it. Maybe things have changed since then, I don't know.

spit on my clit posted:

refund starbound if you can. get terraria instead, it is so much better, so much more polished. starbound's only draw is that it looks and sounds pretty. everything about it inside is bad

Plus, inexplicably, terraria still officially updates. :shepface:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Starbound's devs found out people were mining minerals out of sand really fast by cutting underneath it. Falling sand tiles would drop contained minerals automatically, which meant that a big sand pile could turn into a massive storm of valuable materials quite nicely. This was fun and encouraged careful play to make underground sand deposits into resource bombs.

So they made it that falling sand tiles destroyed contained minerals instead of dropping them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Starbound has more art assets and a better inventory system, I'd say. Terraria is both way better and very similar though so I'm not sure why anyone would play Starbound.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Plus, inexplicably, terraria still officially updates. :shepface:

I buy another copy of Terraria every time a major update comes out. If he's not going to take my money I'll just have it give it to him voluntarily.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would play Starbound.

Honestly, reading that you kept going to different/varied planets seemed pretty interesting. I figured that, with a sci-fi style, I'd get more engagement than I did with Terraria (which I didn't dislike, but didn't draw me in very well).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Okay BJ it's cool that your melee does these awesome animations but could you do then faster? There's a lot of bullets that just shoot you dead during it because gently caress iframes.

This game is Not Good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I buy another copy of Terraria every time a major update comes out. If he's not going to take my money I'll just have it give it to him voluntarily.

That's good, because there's always someone who hasn't played it yet you can give it to. Starbound goes on sale for so cheap that it's like the anti-bad rats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

That's good, because there's always someone who hasn't played it yet you can give it to. Starbound goes on sale for so cheap that it's like the anti-bad rats.

*Terraria

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Okay BJ it's cool that your melee does these awesome animations but could you do then faster? There's a lot of bullets that just shoot you dead during it because gently caress iframes.

This game is Not Good.

If you dont engage with half the systems and like rooting through cupboards to manually pick up your health items it improves to bwing about half the game Doom 4 was.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yes, and now I'm not going to edit that.

I'm sorry I don't know words anymore, the internet has indeed made me stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

If you dont engage with half the systems and like rooting through cupboards to manually pick up your health items it improves to bwing about half the game Doom 4 was.

I got Wolf2, Doom, and Prey for $15 each on black Friday and I'm thinking I'll move to Doom next once I get this done. I'm on the last real level and I should be close to the end of it. The games just throwing lots and lots of the heavily armored dual wielding fuckers and those robot dogs that spot lasers at me. I don't think I'll platinum this after I see those credits roll.