Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

allen and murray both quit on sumlin in 2015

MourningView posted:

yeah I was gonna say didn’t he lose like his entire QB depth chart over night

Haha, that's right. I had forgotten that. So that's a wash I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/lane_kiffin/status/934922102658027522

Am I wrong to take this as him trolling the Tennessee fanbase?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm stunned by how much flak Schiano is getting. The Sandusky thing was real bad and all, but I thought it had disappeared from memory by now. No one was protesting PSU in the Rose Bowl or the NCAA walking back their punishments. poo poo, Briles Jr at FAU has been dead silent. Outside of this forum, Sandusky has vanished from the media, fans, etc. Greg Schiano, of all people, being the re-ignition point is strange.

And as a life long PSU, I had no idea Schiano was ever a coach here. Hah

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/treyw_radio/status/934932530792452102

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
Knoxville sports radio is rather entertaining currently.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Vols bitch

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

nate fisher posted:

https://twitter.com/lane_kiffin/status/934922102658027522

Am I wrong to take this as him trolling the Tennessee fanbase?

Lane has publicly acknowledged that he trolls Tenn fans for sport.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/jimmyhyams/status/934933775758315522

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My FIL tells me the FSU boards are saying that A&M has hired Jimbo, and FSU is talking to Willie Taggart.

Probably BS, but there you go.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just a reminder about Butch and the guy who is going win NFL Rookie of the Year.

https://twitter.com/brandonsaho/status/934904140093902850

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
I usually avoid coaching rumor threads but good golly this has been a heck of a fun day to scroll through one.

Really glad Auburn turned their poo poo around after the LSU game and they didn't have to wade into this shitstorm.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I dont think coaching drama will ever top this

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

walk it back motherfucker

https://twitter.com/heathshuler5/status/934936918021824515

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

angryrobots posted:

My FIL tells me the FSU boards are saying that A&M has hired Jimbo, and FSU is talking to Willie Taggart.

Probably BS, but there you go.

The UF boards went from CHIP KELLY DONE DEAL to CHIP KELLY DOING DUE DILLIGENCE to WE DIDN’T EVEN WANT HIM ANYWAYS this week.

If Jimbo were to leave, Taggart would be the best hire on the board for FSU. Yeah, Oregon’s record isn’t that hot this year but they lost their starting QB for half the season. Taggart knows the state very well, and would be an upgrade over Jimbo’s glacial offense.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Sandusky thing was real bad and all, but I thought it had disappeared from memory by now.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/934935219773243392

NAMBLA salutes you for your service Dan

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, someone's weekend has certainly been ruined

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Couple things:

If Schiano signed the contract, would we still owe his buyout if there was one and if he signed the contract, doesn’t that mean he’s no longer employed by OSU? Does OSU take him back?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I dont think coaching drama will ever top this

Lets go for a finale...

Local media guys on fox sports are saying that Schiano was signed a few weeks ago and will be owed about $20MM for a buyout.

Very early in the rumor phase, but there you go.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Acelerion posted:

Lets go for a finale...

Local media guys on fox sports are saying that Schiano was signed a few weeks ago and will be owed about $20MM for a buyout.

This would be the most amazing cherry on top but there's no way, surely

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh my God, please

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I like the idea of Sumlin in the Pac-12 personally, Also I'm already fully mentally prepared for a Chad Morris hiring.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Never doubt the 2017 carousel

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Boy someone's gonna look stupid when they whiff on their wanted hire and end up with Todd Graham.

Someone like......oh let's say Arizona State.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's a nonzero chance that buyout thing is true, but it's extremely minimal.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Couple things:

If Schiano signed the contract, would we still owe his buyout if there was one and if he signed the contract, doesn’t that mean he’s no longer employed by OSU? Does OSU take him back?

Signing the contract wouldn't necessarily mean he was officially employed. He could have signed the deal to be effective for a future date.

As to owing him the buyout, it would depend on how it was structured but it's extremely unlikely.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Joey Freshwater posted:

Couple things:

Usually large contracts like these things have an effective on date of like 48 hours so that this very thing doesn't happen.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

nachos posted:

Never doubt the 2017 carousel

If the regular season was batshit in 2007 and the carousel was this nuts in 2017, I can't wait to see what 2027 has in store :suspense:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Acelerion posted:

Lets go for a finale...

Please link me to this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Tennessee board of regents/trustees would likely have to sign off on the deal after everything else was said and done too. It's almost never a "well coach signed, so it's over and done with" thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope this ends up with no Schiano buyout, TN's AD getting ousted, and Greg also not being employed at OSU anymore.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Holly called it:

PrinceRandom posted:

I like the idea of Sumlin in the Pac-12 personally, Also I'm already fully mentally prepared for a Chad Morris hiring.

Chad Morris, a man who couldn't break .500 in the American, will be the man to lead Texas A&M to glory.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Couple things:

Probably not because of what the other posters said about a start or effective date, but also there might be some morals clause and if this stuff got unsealed recently, they'd have to litigate it but might squeak through that way

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LiquidFriend posted:

And? Bill Cowher still gets mentioned and he's the literal definition of a has-been at this point. Sumlin is a good coach in a sport filled with bad coaches, so yes he'll get a lot of buzz.

Bill Cowher won a superbowl you dofus

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Please link me to this

Its just second hand but I saw it pop up on message boards and from texts at about the same time. Some guy named Houston Kress apparently said it.

Like I say, way early in the rumor lifecycle - but thats the raw feed

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Godzilla07 posted:

Chad Morris, a man who couldn't break .500 in the American, will be the man to lead Texas A&M to glory.

Hello, it is me a poster who clearly knows nothing about what he's talking about, but shall posit about it anyway.

DJExile posted:

There's a nonzero chance that buyout thing is true, but it's extremely minimal.

Signing the contract wouldn't necessarily mean he was officially employed. He could have signed the deal to be effective for a future date.

As to owing him the buyout, it would depend on how it was structured but it's extremely unlikely.

Yeah. He almost certainly didn't sign an actual contract. He likely may have signed an offer sheet or an MOU. Little known secret but "contracts" usually aren't signed for a while and almost never at first.

The offer sheet/mou almost certainly would contain language giving either side an out.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jimbo noooo :negative:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Couple things:

There's usually a honeymoon period that either side could walk back on. I think right now the feeling would be a mutual one on Plan B.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bill Cowher won a superbowl you dofus
If by Bill Cowher, you mean referees, yeah dude. Anyways he hasn't coached in over a decade.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah. He almost certainly didn't sign an actual contract. He likely may have signed an offer sheet or an MOU. Little known secret but "contracts" usually aren't signed for a while and almost never at first.

The offer sheet/mou almost certainly would contain language giving either side an out.

It's this, yeah. MOUs are gonna have what may as well be called escape clauses for both sides if something goes tits up in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
In December 2010, Pitt hired a guy to replace Wannstedt. 16 days later he got arrested for domestic violence and fired. I assume there was a morals clause to prevent him getting a buyout, but I'm not sure you could use that to get out of this Schiano shitshow since none of this is exactly news.

Side note: this ended up with Pitt renting Todd Graham for a year, so maybe that's how this ends up in Tennessee!

• Locked thread