Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

So I'm about to haul Gloomhaven over to my friends' place for the first time.

We are going to try the 5 player version, with the scaling monster levels and traps by 2. (Anyone have a more detailed version of that? A link would be great - it doesn't totally make sense to me as wouldn't that make our group of level 1 characters fighting level 3 monsters?.)

Our play group is variable, so we're going to often have people coming in and out.

And since I spent like $100 on this, I don't want to... gently caress around with a bunch of stupid rules for preserving some sanctity of the game experience. We're just going to play it and have fun, and if campaign stuff becomes a mess because we die a lot or because so and so wasn't there one week or because some other time we had 5 players. People will play different characters, and each other's characters, week to week. My only rule is going to be "no arguing about gloomhaven."

My gloomhaven box is going to become the fukken anarchy :classiclol: gloomhaven. And I look forward to it.

My lot will be doing the same thing - now that I'm back in town we'll finally get onto session 2 this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

CommonShore posted:

So I'm about to haul Gloomhaven over to my friends' place for the first time.

We are going to try the 5 player version, with the scaling monster levels and traps by 2. (Anyone have a more detailed version of that? A link would be great - it doesn't totally make sense to me as wouldn't that make our group of level 1 characters fighting level 3 monsters?.)

Our play group is variable, so we're going to often have people coming in and out.

Levels are not as huge an increase as it sounds. A level 3 Bandit Archer has +1 HP, movement and attack over the level 1 version. A level 3 Bandit Guard has +3 HP and +1 attack over the level 1 version. It's not a terribly large difference, the guard will tank an additional hit and the archer might tank an additional hit but probably not and they'll both do slightly more damage. Hell, just playing solo or with the open information variant means you increase difficulty by 1, and all you're getting in that case is the ability to combo perfectly between characters, not a whole additional character.

Also, you can always adjust difficulty if you want. If it still seems too easy, bump it an additional level. If it's too hard, drop down a level. That's the beauty of Gloomhaven's scaling system.

Ropes4u posted:

So now that many of you have the game l, is it worth $104?

Absolutely. I've had Gloomhaven for 9 months or so. It's already in my top 5 most played games. It's easily the most value I've ever gotten out of a board game purchase.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ketchup vs catsup posted:

you are already doing the latter by doing the former. I get what you're trying to say, but in this case, playing it 5 player IS a bunch of stupid rules.

There's going the extra distance to preserve the 'sanctity' of the game experience and then there's trying to play a 4 player game with 5 players.

Have fun!

I get what you're saying there - I just want to be able to accommodate those circumstances when a 5th person shows up when we're about to start (which happens with this group). I had read that the 5th player adjustment is a thing that's possible and which works, and so why not?

But that's also not the type of rule I mean - I mean rigid rules for when the game gets played under what circumstances and who gets to play what class and when the campaign advances. We're not going to have anything resembling a fixed party or players. We have people who come to visit from out of town, or who can make it once a month. So let's have fun!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

please report back on how 5 players goes. I can't think of a situation where I'd try it, but I'm curious to hear how people fare changing a fundamental design decision. I hope it goes well!

EDIT: I also understand that people want to play the game with changing groups because hey, you can't really plan things around a board game. I will say, though, that a HUGE part of my enjoyment of playing gloomhaven since march has been playing it with the two almost entirely fixed groups I've played with. One group only plays when all 4 of us can make it, the other has played with as few as 2, but always the same 2-4 people.

If you're regularly switching players in/out, or even around the characters, it's going to make the game MUCH of a single scenario based dungeon crawler rather than a fleshed out story.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2017

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody know or heard speculation about a time frame for retail copies showing up? I'm wondering if I'm going to end up waiting for a 3rd printing KS.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

andrew smash posted:

Anybody know or heard speculation about a time frame for retail copies showing up? I'm wondering if I'm going to end up waiting for a 3rd printing KS.

Retail pre-orders are supposed to come mid-January. I have no idea if there's any leftover stock because pre-orders have been sold out for awhile. Not sure why the retailer would stop pre-orders if they knew they had more copies coming in.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If I had played a couple rounds. Seen what the game was. How much is in the box. How fun it is. And it was 200 retail. I'd buy it. The kickstarter price was a steal.

That said if you are regretting it. Don't pay scalpers wait on retail. Buy it's really good. And as much money as I spend on games that never actually hit the table. Well Gloomhaven is the table now. And the map is nailed to the wall.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

For anyone else planning to play this solo, I recommend not using the difficulty adjustment right away. I'm playing Brute + Mindthief and, even without the adjustment, I just barely finished Scenario 1 on the last turn possible, then failed Scenario 2. The Commander managed to open 3 doors before I killed him, then I didn't have enough cards left to finish off all the adds.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, while I'm still waiting for my copy to ship (:argh::argh::argh:), I'm working on my storage. I already ordered some Planos and some sleeves, but is there any DIY solution for card storage beyond simply bagging them?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

So, while I'm still waiting for my copy to ship (:argh::argh::argh:), I'm working on my storage. I already ordered some Planos and some sleeves, but is there any DIY solution for card storage beyond simply bagging them?

Once you get the planos in there isn't really space for anything else, if you do anything with the cards it'll have to be outside of the main box.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

please report back on how 5 players goes. I can't think of a situation where I'd try it, but I'm curious to hear how people fare changing a fundamental design decision. I hope it goes well!

5 characters doesn't fundamentally alter the experience of playing a scenario. The party just has more resources/cards/actions so you bump the opposition to compensate. If you have an extra person it's not really an issue to bring them in for a game if you have a spare combat deck. I don't think you could say the same for playing with 5 consistently over the course of the campaign. Battle goals are harder to complete and character progression will happen more slowly as it's the same loot/kills as 4 player but spread over 5. That said I don't think the game/campaign system will break with 5 (please feel free to tell me otherwise) but you may not face the same challenge/pressure/thrill as with the intended 4.

I tried the random scenario generator with my solo party. It's actually really drat cool for a system that is not even the main offering. If you do end up with a 5th player occasionally, a random map is a good way to play a session without interfering with campaign/storyline progress.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Math-wise, 5 should work fine with the level bump.

The real problem I can think of is clutter becoming an issue at 5 players. At 4 characters you can already have annoying traffic jams around doors or narrow corridors. Playing 5 players worsens this, and if you add in summons and trap/obstacle laying it could get really bad.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ojetor posted:

Math-wise, 5 should work fine with the level bump.

The real problem I can think of is clutter becoming an issue at 5 players. At 4 characters you can already have annoying traffic jams around doors or narrow corridors. Playing 5 players worsens this, and if you add in summons and trap/obstacle laying it could get really bad.

exactly. it would not surprise me to learn that the map tiles were tuned for length and width for a max 4 player count.

4 player max vs 5 player max is less of a fundamental design distinction in a cooperative game than competitive, but it is a really big choice. You can definitely try and force it into a 5 player game, but there are probably many different interactions that break down that way, even if you add to the scenario level to make up for it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

For anyone else planning to play this solo, I recommend not using the difficulty adjustment right away. I'm playing Brute + Mindthief and, even without the adjustment, I just barely finished Scenario 1 on the last turn possible, then failed Scenario 2. The Commander managed to open 3 doors before I killed him, then I didn't have enough cards left to finish off all the adds.

he opened all the doors on us. we ran out of standies so monsters didn't spawn. we all waited by A again and when he showed up we murdered him.

Maybe be more conservative with your hand? Or less. If you and kill a guy with 1 card that would take 3 rounds it's very worth using it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
From playing a bunch of five player: it works okay, game length increases substantially (it's even harder to plan your turn) and the game is a bit easier.

If you wanted to work against these things, crack down on how much people can say during the planning phase.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

In the sense that you could resell it for that today, yes.

I don't think I've ever spent as much time with a single board game as gloomhaven, and I might have seen maybe 40% of the stuff in the box.

Ojetor posted:

Absolutely. I've had Gloomhaven for 9 months or so. It's already in my top 5 most played games. It's easily the most value I've ever gotten out of a board game purchase.

Thank you everyone..

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

he opened all the doors on us. we ran out of standies so monsters didn't spawn. we all waited by A again and when he showed up we murdered him.

Maybe be more conservative with your hand? Or less. If you and kill a guy with 1 card that would take 3 rounds it's very worth using it.

You have to kill all the spawned monsters in order to win

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Vehementi posted:

You have to kill all the spawned monsters in order to win

We did. But more monsters then standies cant spawn. So we ran/hid behind cragheart object from them until the max number spawned. This totally benefits higher player counts now that I think about it. But if you were killing things while he was summoning you were just burning card stamina

I can see how that tougher at 2. We had no problem at 3.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EDIT: I also understand that people want to play the game with changing groups because hey, you can't really plan things around a board game. I will say, though, that a HUGE part of my enjoyment of playing gloomhaven since march has been playing it with the two almost entirely fixed groups I've played with. One group only plays when all 4 of us can make it, the other has played with as few as 2, but always the same 2-4 people.

If you're regularly switching players in/out, or even around the characters, it's going to make the game MUCH of a single scenario based dungeon crawler rather than a fleshed out story.

Well we didn't have 5 today - only 3.

We were surprised by some of the game flow pressures, but we had a good time! There's a certain feeling of swimming underwater the way that the combat mechanics work - do I have time to go over and pick up that coin, or will that leave me exhausted?

The first combat of the first scenario was absolutely the hardest for us. We picked, completely arbitrarily because that's how we roll, the mindthief, the tinkerer, and the uh groot guy.

The biggest challenge our group sees for playing with variable participants is the city item deck - that seems like a bottleneck.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Well we didn't have 5 today - only 3.

We were surprised by some of the game flow pressures, but we had a good time! There's a certain feeling of swimming underwater the way that the combat mechanics work - do I have time to go over and pick up that coin, or will that leave me exhausted?

The first combat of the first scenario was absolutely the hardest for us. We picked, completely arbitrarily because that's how we roll, the mindthief, the tinkerer, and the uh groot guy.

The biggest challenge our group sees for playing with variable participants is the city item deck - that seems like a bottleneck.

super glad you enjoyed it! The tempo of the games really does take a couple scenarios to make sense - remember the only real resource is the cards in your hand. That swimming underwater feeling gets a little better once you start understanding/tuning how your character works a little better, but it never goes away completely, and it shouldn't - that's one of the big innovations of the game - a built in timer that runs at different speeds for each player, forcing interactions that don't always work in the party's best interest.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I have found thast the difficulty can be swingie. You are on level 2 enemies from at team of 1-2-2 to a team of 4-4-4. Which is huge.

BUT you are encouraged to adjust the difficult and rewards based on your skill. Such a simple thing for the game to give you permission to change the difficulty. Do it. Run the party you want. If it's sub optimal lower the difficulty. If you don't level up fast. The difficulty will naturally stay lower.

It's great.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
We are now 4 scenarios in to our campaign. Played with both 3 and 4 players.

Random thoughts about our experience so far:
Oh boy that setup. But the YASS plano setup has been quite solid at helping out with organization.
I thought I had a good copy, but basically in the few days since I've punched ~20% of the map tiles have split and I'll have to use spray adhesive to re-attach them.
It is very cool how different the classes are.
My group is taking the "We're a group of Merc's!" maybe too far - we often try and dick each other over while scraping by with a win.
We need to bump up the difficulty. The first game was our only truly close one and only 1 player has exhausted (me, because I ran around kill stealing others to scrape out more exp before I ran out of cards bc we had so much time)
Everyone likes to loves it.
I think for work night gaming sessions we could easily play a scenario in around 2 hours (basically have all decisions before starting the scenario made already and the game setup)
The game-play is just as fun and satisfying as we hoped. The chatting about general plans to the revelation of all actions...which then can often involve some improvisation...just feels great to play.
I unbelievably love the useless map and its dumb stickers.
E: Oh, also we like how the different scenarios mix up goals and how you play. If you didn't really like the first basic scenario then the game probably isn't for you (because its not radically changing), but we were very excited to how it can change up early in the campaign.

That is it at the moment. Man, I already love this game.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 27, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you're in Canada and don't have your copy secured, Starlit Citadel (the guys who distributed Gloomhaven) has it on sale right now for like 25% off. (compared to the full retail... it's still more expensive than other place were selling the pre-order for)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 27, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Beat Scenario 2 on the 2nd try. The key for my party was creating a bottleneck to prevent half the monsters from getting at us until we'd dealt with the other half.

I love my mindthief, Damo, but I chose a thematic personal quest and with a 2-character party, kill 20 elites is going to happen really quickly unless he's careful. I'm going to add more characters to the party, then swap them in and out when the mood strikes me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's nothing stopping you from going back to the same class with the same name after you retire. You just happened to remember your *other* personal motivation after you got the previous one dealt with. (Also the benefits of having someone retired are really nice).

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

There's nothing stopping you from going back to the same class with the same name after you retire. You just happened to remember your *other* personal motivation after you got the previous one dealt with. (Also the benefits of having someone retired are really nice).

It will unlock the double-mini class, for one thing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Are there any particularly interesting pairs or trios from the starting classes? Ideally a trio that breaks down into an interesting duo or two. I've been hearing that Tinkerer's a bit unsuited to two-character play.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Reports of the box's hugeness have not been exaggerated.

Wow.

My Plano boxes are coming today, but with kids' hockey practices I won't be able to play with it until tonight.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It came! :woop:

Yeah there's a lot of stuff here, huh. I've been popping out cardboard for like an hour. Hard part is going to be now waiting for next board game meetup in like 2 weeks.

One monster token immediately came off the cardboard backing so far but it looks like gluing back on won't be a problem.

Now time to start sleeving. Wheee!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What sort of glue spray are people using? I haven’t unpacked mine yet, but it sounds like I should be ready.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What sort of glue spray are people using? I haven’t unpacked mine yet, but it sounds like I should be ready.

I got a first edition so nothing was wrong with mine, but 3M makes good stuff.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

3M Super 77 works like a charm. It's a huge can and you can keep it handy if you have any cardboard tear for any other game you have ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

OgreNoah posted:

I got a first edition so nothing was wrong with mine, but 3M makes good stuff.

I had nothing wrong in my 2nd ed. for what its worth.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Probably worth having some glue around just in case but this isn't a major problem or anything. I mean, out of all of this cardboard:

I seem to have a problem with only 2 pieces, and one of them's my fault for a too-vigorous punch out.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more that I won't notice until I play but I think I might have come out just fine.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Are there any particularly interesting pairs or trios from the starting classes? Ideally a trio that breaks down into an interesting duo or two. I've been hearing that Tinkerer's a bit unsuited to two-character play.

Tinkerer is indeed bad for 2 player, as is the combo of Scoundrel and Cragheart, since Scoundrel wants to be adjacent to allies while Cragheart is the only starting class that does friendly fire.

Most other combinations are pretty viable, though you might want to avoid Spellweaver + Mindthief as they are both very squishy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
For those of you who use Gloomy Companion, do you use it on a phone, tablet, laptop? This goes for any other digital app for the game. I'm wondering if I should get a Fire Tablet since it's on sale for $50 https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-HD-8-Tablet-With-Alexa/dp/B01J94SWWU/

What else would I use this for? Other than the app for Space Alert. I guess other board game apps, but what other stuff? Need help being sold on it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The 7 inch is on sale for 30. It runs things just fine and the battery is good. I use them for kids because who cares if it breaks. I might snag another for a dedicated game tablet now that you bring it up.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
We've played the first two scenarios now, and my group is loving the game, but my Mindthief player is getting very frustrated because he can't figure out the tempo of Mindthief. In his words, all he can do is big melee attacks, but claims to have no way to defend himself or escape without instantly getting blown up. He's the only one of us who's been exhausted, and he exhausted in both scenarios.

Are there any friendly suggestions we can give him for Mindthief players? We don't want to tell him he's playing wrong, but it seems obvious to all of us that he's playing wrong. He also unfortunately took the starting recommended items (potion + poison dagger) and not the invisibility cloak, although I think that will be his next purchase.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

For those of you who use Gloomy Companion, do you use it on a phone, tablet, laptop? This goes for any other digital app for the game. I'm wondering if I should get a Fire Tablet since it's on sale for $50 https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-HD-8-Tablet-With-Alexa/dp/B01J94SWWU/

What else would I use this for? Other than the app for Space Alert. I guess other board game apps, but what other stuff? Need help being sold on it.

We have the previous generation model (8.9" Kindle Fire) and the companion is completely unusable. It's sluggish at best to begin with but the companion app just causes the whole thing to poo poo itself until the tab crashes. I guess there are some other browsers available for it, but I haven't looked into trying any of those yet. No idea on the newer model you're looking at, but I had been getting the impression that newer models weren't a very big step up.

Currently running it on my iPhone 6S+ and it's kinda clunky but it works. The card transition rendering is very bad (at least in Safari) and you can't adjust the scale on the page, but it's 'good enough' otherwise.

Someone could really stand to rewrite the page to be more mobile friendly, or build a simple App for the thing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I use the 7 mentioned earlier and it runs Gloomy Companion flawlessly on the default browser.