Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The opposite of slander is flattery. The best Justice Leaguerer is Plastic Man or Booster Gold, depending on the day of the week.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like Flex Mentallo also had a lot of the same themes (and even ideas they recycled for FC like shrinking heroes rebuilding the universe at the atomic level) but was also a standalone and referenced comic archetypes rather than specific characters and events

I mean, Flex Mentallo is just a one-shot spinoff of Doom Patrol so I group it in with that.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The opposite of slander is flattery. The best Justice Leaguerer is Plastic Man or Booster Gold, depending on the day of the week.

Plastic man's wife was raped by dr light. Maybe that will be in justice league 2

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

Plastic man's wife was raped by dr light. Maybe that will be in justice league 2

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Personally I think it's a real shame Arthur Light hasn't shown up yet

let's start a petition

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was Elongated Man. Similar but different character.

Elongated Man was a Flash supporting character whose gimmick was that he was the very first superhero without a secret identity. He was also the Flash's best friend and a talented detective in his own right, right down to getting his own supporting backup stories in Detective Comics. Unfortunately Identity Crisis ruined the character forever because comics suck. He can stretch (incredibly fast, he was originally introduced as being able to stretch his body parts 'like a rocket' and could even keep up with the Flash) but he's otherwise pretty normal.

Plastic Man is effectively Cartoon Character Physics: The Character instead.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I really loved that comic.

but yeah it was Elongated Man

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I didn't read Identity Crisis but looking at wikipedia it just seems like a massive ripoff of Squadron Supreme.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ImpAtom posted:

Plastic Man is effectively Cartoon Character Physics: The Character instead.

I'd describe him more as a Thing (from the movie The Thing) that's friendly. I'm trying to find that one Justice League Action short with the mobsters.

EDIT: Couldn't find the one I'm looking for, but in a live action movie some of this stuff would look body-horror.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 27, 2017

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
That is one of the things I like about DC. The names are more quaint. Its good thay there is a difference between elongated man (who's wife was brutally raped by dr light) and plastic man

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

You think execs don't care about product quality?

They don't mind if they make a great film, but that isn't their primary goal.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yaws posted:

I really loved that comic.

but yeah it was Elongated Man

The art really brings it down for me. It came out during that era where giving characters the faces of Hollywood stars was a fad (after Brian Hitch patterned Nick Fury on Samuel L. Jackson in The Ultimates) and it's distracting and the characters look like they're acting poorly in every panel.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

wdarkk posted:

I'd describe him more as a Thing (from the movie The Thing) that's friendly. I'm trying to find that one Justice League Action short with the mobsters.

He's also Stephen King's favorite comic book character, not coincidentally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I didn't read Identity Crisis but looking at wikipedia it just seems like a massive ripoff of Squadron Supreme.

Squadron Supreme has been ripped off several times for sure.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like Flex Mentallo also had a lot of the same themes (and even ideas they recycled for FC like shrinking heroes rebuilding the universe at the atomic level) but was also a standalone and referenced comic archetypes rather than specific characters and events

Flex Mentallo, Invisibles, and Filth are supposed to be a thematic trilogy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean, Flex Mentallo is just a one-shot spinoff of Doom Patrol so I group it in with that.

It's not a one shot you fuckin baka

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He's also Stephen King's favorite comic book character, not coincidentally.

Ha.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdXFFATVQ68

In this short, a group of men go crazy and attack each other because they believe one of them or an inanimate object is a shapeshifting monster. Add some parkas and flamethrowers and what do you get?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The art really brings it down for me. It came out during that era where giving characters the faces of Hollywood stars was a fad (after Brian Hitch patterned Nick Fury on Samuel L. Jackson in The Ultimates) and it's distracting and the characters look like they're acting poorly in every panel.

*Kicks the door in* it was actually Mark Bagley in Ultimate Spider-Man and it was ACTUALLY Bendis' idea to begin with, not Hitch.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's not a one shot you fuckin baka

Miniseries. Whatever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its been a week since i've seen Justice League and i'm trying to even remember anything at all about it. This was such an unremarkable movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Its been a week since i've seen Justice League and i'm trying to even remember anything at all about it. This was such an unremarkable movie.

The opening credits

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UmOk posted:

The opening credits

Hahah I actually missed the opening credits. The girlfriend was running behind, we got to the movie just as Wonder Woman's opening action sequence was starting.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Kurzon posted:

If you guys are so smart, let's see you found a studio that can match the quality and output of Pixar and Marvel Studios.

Pixar sucks too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Pixar’s probably the best thing Disney has going right now.

Of course, I say this as someone who generally dislikes Disney.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pixar is still a great studio but they have some blemishes on their record now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

My secret hope is that while I want Justice League 2, we somehow instead end up with Giffen/DeMatteis and McGuires' "I Can't Believe it's not Justice League" roster. Blue Beetle, Booster, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Elongated Man, Sue, Captain Atom, Rocket Red against Darkseid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Hahah I actually missed the opening credits. The girlfriend was running behind, we got to the movie just as Wonder Woman's opening action sequence was starting.

So you remembered Wonder Woman's opening action sequence.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This movie was all right, I thought. Not nearly the patchwork I was expecting, like yeah, maybe some of the looser shots are Whedon's but it's not like Suicide Squad where scenes keep cutting off in weird places because they're trying to make it into an entirely different movie. And honestly throughout, a somewhat warmer color palette and more humorous tone feel more like legitimate creative decisions, reflecting a rebirth of hope in dark times.

And honestly I'm just happy they're shooting Amy Adams so she doesn't look like a statue anymore. (This is not just the DC movies, Arrival did it too. She's not that pale, people! Stop loving around with the skin tones!)

I feel the climax drags it down some- it's a little underdeveloped. And really the villain needed- something more, I get that they didn't want to bring in The Entire Fourth World Mythology in a giant expo dump but without that context Steppenwolf is lacking something. And Barry Allen as the hypernerd is definitely overplayed- dude's almost Sheldon at points. But hey, Wonder Woman remains charming, Affleck's Bruce is pretty drat good, liked everybody really. And the characters are an important part so good for that.

Having said all that:

Gatts posted:

My secret hope is that while I want Justice League 2, we somehow instead end up with Giffen/DeMatteis and McGuires' "I Can't Believe it's not Justice League" roster. Blue Beetle, Booster, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Elongated Man, Sue, Captain Atom, Rocket Red against Darkseid.

This.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Uhhh, guys.... Maybe I've been hanging out in CineD too long or maybe all the poo poo movies have been lowering my standards, but uhhh... I just rewatched Man of Steel and uhhh... it's pretty good actually.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man of Steel is the best modern comic book movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's kinda nuts how over the course of three full viewings in the last five years since its release I've gone from thinking of it as a bad movie with a few good scenes to maybe the best superhero movie of the 2010s yes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhhh, guys.... Maybe I've been hanging out in CineD too long or maybe all the poo poo movies have been lowering my standards, but uhhh... I just rewatched Man of Steel and uhhh... it's pretty good actually.

Yeah, no poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In case anyone was curious, the GL has seemingly being identified

Yalan Gur

quote:

Yalan Gur was a member of the Green Lantern Corps and noted as one of the greatest of the servants of the Guardians of the Universe around two thousand years ago. At the time, he was stationed at his home space of Space Sector 2814 where at one point he came under attack from a yellow beast that nearly killed him due to his Green Lantern Power Ring's flaw. This led to the Oans questioning if they should risk their greatest Green Lantern on such an arbitrary weakness. Ultimately, they decided to remove the Yellow Impurity from Yalan Gur's Power Ring alone in the belief that he would remain their faithful servant.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

One of us, one of us, one of us.

We are dozens now

After I emigrated the movie took a more emotional turn for me, I don't know why but Clark in that movie is incredibly relatable and close.Im sad now that the murderverse is over

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 27, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AlternateAccount posted:

The second I saw the more recent Justice League trailers I knew this day would come.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In case anyone was curious, the GL has seemingly being identified

Yalan Gur

i'm glad they went with the goofiest looking fucker in a corp full of goofy looking fuckers

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean, we still haven't seen Ch'p.

Anyone know who the lightning guy was? He was really prominent.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm p. sure that was Zeus. The lady with the flaming arm was Artemis I think they said.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, those were the greek gods.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's kinda nuts how over the course of three full viewings in the last five years since its release I've gone from thinking of it as a bad movie with a few good scenes to maybe the best superhero movie of the 2010s yes.

Stokholm Syndrome in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Neurolimal posted:

Moving away from authenticity criticism for a second, I still find it hard to accept Bay's Transformers as "This aint your mommas' Transformers! Dark, Gritty, Murderous!" when just about every movie has had killed transformers come back, sometimes from nothing but a robot mosquito inside a severed head infecting computers.

No, it hasn't. The only character who has been resurrected between films is Megatron. So, that's one film out of five. And one character out of a cast of dozens.