Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't see one as an extension of the other at all, despite their overt connections.

It's literally an extension of breaking bad. Like as in literally, they broke the idea while writing breaking bad. You can "not see it" as an extension of breaking bad all you want, but that doesn't make it not an extension of breaking bad.

Hakkesshu posted:

loving what

You mean the season whose most action packed episode is in a loving courtroom?

Did you forget everything involved with Hector, Gus, Mike, and especially Nacho? It was the secondary plot of the season.

quote:

Also how is the Mike/Gus stuff even remotely incomprehensible? Everything about their actions is explained entirely within the context of the show.

Again, as I mentioned above, you don't have any context as to why Gus arriving is so frightening, why everyone respects and at times even fears him, do you don't get any of the textural nuance that makes his reappearance so effective. He's just A Dude That Shows Up. It still more or less works, but it works far less effectively and completely ignores what made Gus great and how BCS comments on what made Gus great if you just skip to BCS without watching BB.

Hakkesshu posted:

You're right about the stylistic stuff, but how is that relevant to what we're discussing? I didn't say they were dissimilar shows in terms of direction.

They are incredibly similar in theme, with both being about relatively good men being dragged into moral turpitude via their own actions, it's just in BCS it's about a person with a checkered past sliding back into it even as he tries to "go straight", over BB going from the now-cliched line "Mr. Chips to Scarface". They ruminate, constantly, on the same ideas, just in different ways - Walter White's arc is about him repeatedly failing himself, and Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman's arc is about being failed, and how his constant attempts to "be good" are stymied by a combination of outside forces and his own refusal to actually play by the rules. And again, they're similar in direction, but not only that they're similar in framing narratives and the way episodes are edited or its long-form storytelling (Breaking Bad frequently did act-long scenework which compromises most scenes of BCS) or its dialog or its sense of humor, not to mention the literal parts that are literally exactly the same like entire characters or prequel plotlines. You can prefer one to the other or even like one and not like the other, but to pretend that they aren't fundamentally linked shows with one reflecting on and ruminating on the exact same ideas and arcing of the other is absurd. They are two halves of the same whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
If I got a dime for every time Occ has typed the words literal and/or literally in his life I'd be a millionaire by now

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like there's a more compelling argument to be made that Twin Peaks: The Return is a fundamentally different show with little necessary connection to the original run of Twin Peaks, that should be enjoyed on its own merits, than there is that BCS is a fundamentally different show with little necessary connection to BB that should be enjoyed on its own merits. And if you argue that you should watch The Return without having watched original run TP, especially FWWM, I would regard you as not a sane person.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's a continuation, not a prequel.

I haven't seen BCS, but maybe a better comparison would be saying it's stupid to watch Gods of the Arena before the first season of Spartacus.

Or hell, watching FWWM before OG Twin Peaks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think there's anything wrong with watching Better Call Saul without having watched Breaking Bad. You won't pick up on some things or get some of the references but it won't be some inscrutable puzzle.

It's probably not good for your blood pressure to get so mad about tv shows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Yeah, this.

Unless it's someone interpreting Revolutionary Girl Utena the wrong way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Did you forget everything involved with Hector, Gus, Mike, and especially Nacho? It was the secondary plot of the season.

There wasn't that much action, though? Like, it was tense, but not loving automatic machine gunsmowing down nazis or drug explosions.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

They are two halves of the same whole.

Absolutely not. Not until this point, anyway. Okay, yes, the Gus/Mike stuff is arguable, since it has yet to pay off (but I'm sure it will have a full arc within BCS), but the entire relationship between Jimmy and Kim and Chuck and Howard, which in my mind is the core of the show, is entirely compelling for reasons that have absolutely zero of anything to do with Breaking Bad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hakkesshu posted:

There wasn't that much action, though? Like, it was tense, but not loving automatic machine gunsmowing down nazis or drug explosions.

This is good though because Breaking Bad was always laughably incompetent when it did action scenes.

Like the final shoot out with Hank. It's terrible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The cousins vs Hank is an all-time great TV action scene tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

this but KEY: The Metal Idol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

The cousins vs Hank is an all-time great TV action scene tho

This is true actually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

I hate picking one "best" but here's some of the best: The Addams Family, The Man from UNCLE, Dragnet, Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, Mask of the Phantasm, The Naked Gun, Star Trek II, Batman '66.

There's got to be enough movies based on SNL sketches for them to have their own category, surely.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with watching Better Call Saul without having watched Breaking Bad. You won't pick up on some things or get some of the references but it won't be some inscrutable puzzle.

Best case scenario with watching BCS before Breaking Bad is that you spoil the latter for yourself even if the former remains unaffected. So many of the beats and reveals and developments of BB would be ruined by going into it already knowing who everyone is and where they're coming from and what they're capable of, and the writing and performances will also suffer if you're seeing them as the cameos and last-minute replacements they were originally written as and not the much deeper and better-understood characters they are at the end of BB and the beginning of BCS.

And I am incredibly mad about this, as evidenced by the fact that I am a person who is disagreeing with you on the internet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

And I am incredibly mad about this, as evidenced by the fact that I am a person who is disagreeing with you on the internet.

The only person I was referring to is Occupation, if he isn't mad then my bad but the posts certainly come across... unhinged.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra posted:

It's a Ranma 1/2 spinoff taking place in a parallel universe where Ranma ended up with Nabiki.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's got to be enough movies based on SNL sketches for them to have their own category, surely.

Their own category of suck, maybe. E: I guess Coneheads was okay too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Their own category of suck, maybe. E: I guess Coneheads was okay too.

Movies by sketch comedy groups are almost always terrible though: Brain Candy was a miserable fiasco, Run Ronnie Run was a turd that broke up the Mr Show crew, Miss March is one of the worst reviewed films of all time, and Mystery Team was really mediocre and gross.

Lonely Island is like the one exception and both Hot Rod and Popstar still underperformed despite being fantastic comedies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wheat Loaf posted:

Off the top of my head:
Blues Brothers
Blues Brothers 2000
Waynes World 1 & 2
Coneheads
Superstar
Ladies Man
Night at the Roxbury

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

swickles posted:

Off the top of my head:
Blues Brothers
Blues Brothers 2000
Waynes World 1 & 2
Coneheads
Superstar
Ladies Man
Night at the Roxbury

It's Pat
Stuart Saves His Family
Office Space (arguable)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

how did you forget macgruber

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

how did you forget macgruber

Everybody did, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQIXdCQZYP0&t=68s

JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT ME TO FUUUUUUUCK! :cry:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would absolutely watch a 90 minute long version of the Bill Bratzky sketch

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't believe Gotham has turned into a good show. :colbert:

Where should I jump back in? Beginning of the current season?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Godless has been great. I just finished ep 4, and I’m really into it. That said, the marketing was bad. So bad. I told my wife it was a show about this town of women who don’t need no stinking men... well, it’s actually about a bunch of men and the town of women that need them. But drat is it still enjoyable and beautiful.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

omg hungry like the wolf thank you for this tviv people.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

esperterra posted:

Yeah, this.

Utena was a silly show about a really pretty guy and his cool-rear end car imo.

please don't kill me i love utena

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watched the pilot of Future Man. I thought it was just okay, but I can see why goons would love it.

I'll power through the 8 half hour eps since it seems like the kind of show best binged.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wasn't really digging it right out of the gate but it grew on me after a couple of episodes. Its not so much a case of the show getting better but that it expands beyond the video game satire and bounces around a lot of other ideas and becomes less gimmicky and more of a show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I somehow managed to start the show unspoiled. I thought it was about some enhanced/armored in the future fighting bad guys like Robocop or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Netflix apparently has a show about the Medici family starring Dustin Hoffman and Brian Cox and Robb Stark from game of thrones but I've literally never heard about it and they didn't promote it. Sean Bean joined the cast for season 2 which is upcoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvKzPZl3Bds

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

Netflix apparently has a show about the Medici family starring Dustin Hoffman and Brian Cox and Robb Stark from game of thrones but I've literally never heard about it and they didn't promote it. Sean Bean joined the cast for season 2 which is upcoming.

They really did themselves a disservice by not casting Richard Madden as Ezio Auditore

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a Rai show I think (Rai is Italy's public broadcaster).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

I somehow managed to start the show unspoiled. I thought it was about some enhanced/armored in the future fighting bad guys like Robocop or something.

Awesome, enjoy the ride.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't believe Gotham has turned into a good show. :colbert:

Where should I jump back in? Beginning of the current season?

Last season was where it really turned itself around, particularly when Ra's al Ghul shows up and kicks the Bruce Wayne plot into high gear.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Princess Meghan Markle yall. Is she still on Suits?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Princess Meghan Markle yall. Is she still on Suits?

I don't give a single iota of a gently caress about "royals", but I did hear on the radio on the way to work that she was apparently leaving after this season anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

huh, that actually looks pretty good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realise Suits was still on. I feel like I remember reading about it being cancelled a couple of years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I don't give a single iota of a gently caress about "royals", but I did hear on the radio on the way to work that she was apparently leaving after this season anyway.

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/935098939522633729

Wallis Simpson was also a NAZI SYMPATHIZER DURING WWII but twas the divorce that sullied her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's nice to be reminded every now and then that england is just as insane as america

• Locked thread