Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Saagonsa posted:

You're really not helping your case
By not caring how strong they are as part of why I don't like them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Freeza has been really fun to watch this arc but image hasn’t actually FOUGHT anyone yet. He’s running out of good options too :(

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

XboxPants posted:

There's a pretty easy way to test this: were people in this thread this annoyed by her when she first transformed into an unconventionally attractive character? Or did that gradually build up to now as she fought over and over without really doing anything?
This, yeah. I thought the joke was funny at first, but the tenth time she ranted about love and got kicked away and bounced 'cause she's fat, she started to grate on my nerves.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
my Ribbianne Opinion;

The idea of a non-conventionally attractive character who was also a powerhouse was a great idea; a beloved Idol loved in her universe who didn't look like what most people would find conventionally attractive, PLUS she fights evenly with Vegeta! That's huge! This tournament is gonna be great, all the universes are gonna have heavy hitters that can match Goku and Vegeta!

then we get episode after episode of U6 and 7 clowning on everyone else in the tournament. Ribbianne shows up and....gets clowned on. But unlike the other ones, who were just thrown off after their inevitable boring defeat, she is for some reason spared. We then have episode after episode of her showing up, but it makes it clear she isn't actually a challenge or a threat, it's just that everyone is too busy or distracted to eliminate her, she gets by and survives purely based on the fact she isn't worth dealing with.

Now we finally have a decent episode! she is shown to be fairly strong, and tries to stand toe to toe with the Androids and honestly puts in a kind of okay showing. She gets a good elimination episode.

Now why did that take like 10 extra episodes filled with her flailing ineffectually before getting eliminated?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah I'm gonna have to challenge that. Her gimmick was decent at first, but it got old very fast when it became obvious that it was just heart shaped ki blasts and nothing more

"Magical girl" is a decent enough gimmick in a series where everybody else is a swole punchman; they just didn't do anything with it or give her any powers that swole punchmen didn't already have.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It definitely is disappointing how similar all of the universes are to each-other in fighting. There was Frost and Cabba in the U6 arc of course, but also Hit and Magetta who did things differently. Not nearly as much of that here.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd bet on her and her two buddies being recurring characters after this, so maybe.

I think the opposite, really. There's no reason for Toei to cater to the magical girl market in this show, so I doubt they'll ever get much focus at all in the future.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I just don't like them because they're annoying as poo poo. They have the negative traits of Goku and Vegeta without any of the charm.

Califula is like Goku but slightly more aggressive. The reason you seem to amplify their negative traits and ignore the positive ones is cause you're a sad nerd. Hope that helps.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Momomo posted:

I think the opposite, really. There's no reason for Toei to cater to the magical girl market in this show, so I doubt they'll ever get much focus at all in the future.

I think wether side characters like that reappear or not, besides Toriyama's whims of course, is more subject to profit whims (marketing potential/ratings/overall popularity). The backlash against Ribrianne seems pretty strong amongst American adult watchers of the show, but we aren't their target audience and never were.

That said I can't see the magical girl trio being a smash hit with Japanese boys either, so they're probably gone for good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

we'll all forget about the kamikaze fireballs until 20 years from now the people working on dragon ball ultra rainbow who were little kids when super was airing will go 'hey remember those girls? let's bring them back'

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, what's the deal with the Universe 4 bug fighters anyway? Are they hiding on the underside of the arena or something?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, what's the deal with the Universe 4 bug fighters anyway? Are they hiding on the underside of the arena or something?

either small or invisible, but they had to be present on the arena somewhere during the beginning of the tournament

once they get revealed we'll probably see some flashbacks showing where they've been this whole time

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kelp Plankton posted:

either small or invisible, but they had to be present on the arena somewhere during the beginning of the tournament

once they get revealed we'll probably see some flashbacks showing where they've been this whole time
I feel like their tactic must involve hiding, like they'll be there so Universe 4 has a better chance of winning through numbers by not fighting anyone. There's no way Quitela can still be so confident in their fighting abilities after seeing what Jiren can do.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I was wondering if they might just be chilling at the very top of the pillar, tiny and out of sight.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Rib is still currently the most realised fighter. Multiple techniques, a giant super form, you can run her ally fighters as strikers. Only Kefla feels as much-separately, Cauli and Kale are less so.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Freeza has been really fun to watch this arc but image hasn’t actually FOUGHT anyone yet. He’s running out of good options too :(

I have a feeling he's going to come to Goku's rescue and eliminate the rest of U2 (heh).

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kashuno posted:

Frieza has unironically been my favorite part of this tournament so far.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I honestly want the bugs to be revealed as just hiding the whole time and then be disqualified because they didn't entertain the Zenos.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Squallege posted:

I honestly want the bugs to be revealed as just hiding the whole time and then be disqualified because they didn't entertain the Zenos.

Oh man, that would be so good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the role of jobber will fall to Freeza against Jiren ahead of the final battle

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
RIP Magical Girls

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Freeza's keeping his eye on the prize of taking the multiverse throne & only fighting anyone at all to cure his boredom. He has no reason to fight Jiren so long as Goku can do it for him.

The only thing that would prompt a situation in which Freeza loses to Jiren is if Jiren challenges Freeza personally.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At this point I’m kinda ready for this arc to just be over. There have been some amazing episodes, but no one left is worth a drat or if they are they haven’t been built up at all so it’s going to come across really poorly. The namekians and Jiren are all that really matter or have character now. This arc is going to have at least 10-12 more episodes in it and I can’t see how they make good use of everyone u7 has left, not to mention the fact that U7 has been clowning on some of the strongest fighters from these universes while only losing their absolute bottom tier fighters. 18 is mid tier at best and she knocked out the very best U2 had to offer

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I could see Freeza being the one to finally take out Toppo.

I wonder if the reason they're keeping so many people from U7 around is so they can have Jiren eliminate most of the team near the end so "show how serious he is". Otherwise, it doesn't matter if Goku beats Jiren or not because they'll just win through numbers.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 27, 2017

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kashuno posted:

At this point I’m kinda ready for this arc to just be over. There have been some amazing episodes, but no one left is worth a drat or if they are they haven’t been built up at all so it’s going to come across really poorly. The namekians and Jiren are all that really matter or have character now. This arc is going to have at least 10-12 more episodes in it and I can’t see how they make good use of everyone u7 has left, not to mention the fact that U7 has been clowning on some of the strongest fighters from these universes while only losing their absolute bottom tier fighters. 18 is mid tier at best and she knocked out the very best U2 had to offer

Jiren will eliminate the androids (:(), Gohan, Piccolo, and maybe Frieza/Vegeta. Then big battle with Goku for the tourney.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How long do you think the Jiren fight will last?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

Probably about 5 minutes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

2-3 episodes total. Goku is going to pull his “we are not pawns for the gods” thing that will make Jiren rethink, and Freeza will mop them both up quote me later

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Just 10 minutes until Frieza looks at his watch and goes "Good heavens, look at the time dilation".

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That was Goku's real play. He knows Freeza has a time distorting effect from back on Namek, so he brought him so he could fight for way longer.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How much time is left in the tournament anyways?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

we'll probably find out more about the u4 guys in the NEP next week, and for sure the week after in ep 119

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

How much time is left in the tournament anyways?

“15 minutes”

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Crabtree posted:

Just 10 minutes until Frieza looks at his watch and goes "Good heavens, look at the time dilation".

This made me laugh hard.

Puppet master Frieza is Best Frieza, feels like old times on Namek again :allears: I honestly don't like this arc as much because there's less comedy filler moments besides the excellent Shin/Beerus/Champa banter, and the good episodes in the arc fly by while the bad ones drag. But Frieza has been the most entertaining he has EVER been as a character and he is the highlight of almost any episode he's in.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if the reason they're keeping so many people from U7 around is so they can have Jiren eliminate most of the team near the end so "show how serious he is". Otherwise, it doesn't matter if Goku beats Jiren or not because they'll just win through numbers.
I kind of hope something like this happens. There's something oddly satisfying about Jiren just casually eliminating people with practically zero effort.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Flytrap posted:

That was Goku's real play. He knows Freeza has a time distorting effect from back on Namek, so he brought him so he could fight for way longer.

Especially when you both involve Frieza with a hard time limit and its 5 minutes. Dude can turn 5 minutes into 30 episodes, do not question his power.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

If u6 has to bite the bullet, I hope there is a good Champa/Beerus scene as he makes his exit. Despite all the crap they give each other at the end of the first tournament its obvious they care for each other(what with Beerus using his wish for Champa) so if Champa just bites it to no reaction from Beerus it would be pretty crappy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Evil Canadian posted:

If u6 has to bite the bullet, I hope there is a good Champa/Beerus scene as he makes his exit. Despite all the crap they give each other at the end of the first tournament its obvious they care for each other(what with Beerus using his wish for Champa) so if Champa just bites it to no reaction from Beerus it would be pretty crappy.

Beerus has shown to give something of a poo poo about Champa but I don't think Champa has ever been shown to give a poo poo about Beerus. In fact, there have been multiple times in the ToP where he's explicitly directed his fighters to sabotage/gently caress over Beerus/U7, while Beerus has never done the same re: U6(and the U7 fighters have actively saved U6 ones multiple times).

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Evil Canadian posted:

There is a short animation out there (you guessed right, made by a latin american fan) made months ago where Beerus mournfully bids farewell to Champa who grins and says something like "don't you dare lose". Sadly neither Gohan Blanco nor Shaggy show up to save him.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I feel like their tactic must involve hiding, like they'll be there so Universe 4 has a better chance of winning through numbers by not fighting anyone. There's no way Quitela can still be so confident in their fighting abilities after seeing what Jiren can do.

Well, they ARE bugs. Maybe they been jumping from participant to participant, biting them and giving them SPACE AIDS, so that they all drop weakened by the end of the tournament or sth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

piccolos gonna loving die next week because that chubby namekian is gonna try and mouth beam gohan