Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Telling GMs "not all situations need a pass/fail die roll" was great, the problem is that the initial example Skill Challenges we're taken as a proper template for all of them, so a lot of effort was put into trying to fix "rules" that weren't intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Christ, Iron Man Magic has been around since at least Unlimited. I remember people being proud of playing it. I guess they weren't "true nerds", though.

I remember a published article that ended with the writer describing his sole surviving card: a Lord of the Pit adorned with a streak of ketchup and a handlebar moustache drawn in pen.

Now I'm torn between flushing my collection down the toilet, or making them into a quilt. After fishing my dual lands out, of course.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Bieeardo posted:

I remember a published article that ended with the writer describing his sole surviving card: a Lord of the Pit adorned with a streak of ketchup and a handlebar moustache drawn in pen.

Now I'm torn between flushing my collection down the toilet, or making them into a quilt. After fishing my dual lands out, of course.

card quilt sounds amazing, do that one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

superglue them to the bumper of your car

e. hell, coat an old car with magic cards and call it an art car

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'd rather see people ripping cards up than painting MLP characters on the power nine. Let those cards die with dignity.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Thanks for the advice on stock art - DT had some decent fantasy stuff that matched what I wanted so I grabbed that, but nothing else really. I may be looking at commissioning some - is my best bet to search DeviantArt until I find someone I like (which I've had mixed results doing in the past), or is there a better way to find an artist or artists who can help?

I'm on a limited budget here but I'm also only looking for black and white line art, similar to what you'd see in Dungeon Crawl Classics, nothing fancy.

There's G+ and Facebook groups.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

superglue them to the bumper of your car

e. hell, coat an old car with magic cards and call it an art car

I don't drive, but I'm sure I can find an idling bus around here.

"My other car is an Atog."

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I have a bunch of magic and still play occasionally. The cards are my goddamn property and if I want to wipe my rear end with them I will do so and gently caress you if you have a problem with it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see numbers on 'people who happen to buy and play Magic cards' and 'people who attend tournaments on the regular', because I imagine that a large percentage of cards are already effectively out of circulation because they never see anything bigger than FNM.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Comrade Koba posted:

While we’re on the subject, has there ever been an introductory-level D&D where the central premise was something other than a band of kobolds/goblins/orcs/bandits/1HD creatures menacing the countryside, and who turn out to be led by some sort of boss monster with a couple of hit dice more?
Yeah Paizo released one not too long ago called Gallows of Madness. The first part of it is an investigation scenario revolving around finding out what happened to a bunch of missing apprentices in the city. There is more but generally speaking they have had a really good go of making low level investigation adventures.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bieeardo posted:

I'd like to see numbers on 'people who happen to buy and play Magic cards' and 'people who attend tournaments on the regular', because I imagine that a large percentage of cards are already effectively out of circulation because they never see anything bigger than FNM.

WotC has said many times that the numbers of product being bought and the numbers of people in tournaments don't come close to matching, and that the vast majority of magic players only play at their kitchen table

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd rather see people ripping cards up than painting MLP characters on the power nine. Let those cards die with dignity.

Why give a gently caress at all? They're old cards, 95% of which have been reprinted anyway.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

WotC has said many times that the numbers of product being bought and the numbers of people in tournaments don't come close to matching, and that the vast majority of magic players only play at their kitchen table

Yep. And then they eventually get thrown in the garbage or shoved in a white cardboard box that will never see the light of day again.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Liquid Communism posted:

Why give a gently caress at all? They're old cards, 95% of which have been reprinted anyway.

As far as I'm aware the Power Nine haven't been reprinted.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't give a crap about anyone ripping up cards of any type, even $8,000 mint moxes or whatever, but no person or object deserves to be tainted by bronies

senrath posted:

As far as I'm aware the Power Nine haven't been reprinted.

I guess it depends on whether you consider alpha, beta, and unlimited to be reprints or additional print-runs of the same set?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
i tore my blue hurricane in half

eat it nerds

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the thing about the power 9 is that they specifically cannot be reprinted in any form.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

this, and adjacent talk about what you personally feel it's appropriate to do to pieces of cardboard, is definitely a more important discussion to have than the absolutely rampant and horrifying levels of harassment and abuse even low-profile female Magic players have had to endure for literal years and which nobody has given even a passing poo poo about until this particular moment, and will be forgotten in the wake of WOTC's milquetoast, vague, and useless response to it. I definitely love that I have to wade through everyone's personal take on flip it or rip it or loving power every time this comes up lately, and definitely don't wish everyone that feels a need to weigh in on that first would take a running jump up their own asses

Reene fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 27, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the thing about the power 9 is that they specifically cannot be reprinted in any form.

Are you suggesting Wizards is legally prohibited from reprinting those old cards? Or is this just a "promise" with zero legal power behind it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Are you suggesting Wizards is legally prohibited from reprinting those old cards? Or is this just a "promise" with zero legal power behind it?

As in its a part of their official policy because at one point they *were* reprinting these old cards and devaluing the old ones.

They can print obviously fake commemorative ones but that's it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Leperflesh posted:

People have spent years arguing about the reserved list please don't kick this off with the stupidest take possible

And in any case they won't reprint the power nine because they're loving game breaking

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kurieg posted:

As in its a part of their official policy because at one point they *were* reprinting these old cards and devaluing the old ones.

They can print obviously fake commemorative ones but that's it.

They haven't even done that. The only "set" p9 exist in outside ABU is Vintage Masters

WHICH I STKLL GET PEOPLE ASKING FOR IN MY STORE

E over sized Sliver Queen is the only reserved list "reprint" I can think of in the last five years

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They haven't even done that. The only "set" p9 exist in outside ABU is Vintage Masters

WHICH I STKLL GET PEOPLE ASKING FOR IN MY STORE

E over sized Sliver Queen is the only reserved list "reprint" I can think of in the last five years

Yeah. From The Vault: Relics had some cards off the reserved list (not even P9, just cards off the reserved list) and people lost their poo poo, making WOTC change their policy to be more explicit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kurieg posted:

Yeah. From The Vault: Relics had some cards off the reserved list (not even P9, just cards off the reserved list) and people lost their poo poo, making WOTC change their policy to be more explicit.

They don't even do functional reprints anymore, although Rosewater has tested the waters and asked how people would feel about functional duals so who knows, and that was a guideline not a hard rule anyway

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry, I haven't been a party to those stupid arguments. I was asking a real question, mostly, although I strongly suspect I know the answer. It's not important though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry, I haven't been a party to those stupid arguments. I was asking a real question, mostly, although I strongly suspect I know the answer. It's not important though.

There is nothing legally preventing them from doing it I suspect but the amount of backlash they'd get from the community for doing so would not be worth it.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They don't even do functional reprints anymore, although Rosewater has tested the waters and asked how people would feel about functional duals so who knows, and that was a guideline not a hard rule anyway

All they'd have to do is remove the basic land types. It'd kill the utility for the pain fetches but that's really only a modern issue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

There is nothing legally preventing them from doing it I suspect but the amount of backlash they'd get from the community for doing so would not be worth it.

OK. I was thinking there was a small chance maybe they lost the license to the artwork/design or some poo poo, like the Harmony Gold situation with Battletech and the Unseen mechs. But actually it's just "they can't do it without engendring major backlash, today, as things stand, which tells us nothing about what they'd be willing to do in, say, 10 years or 20 years or whatever."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Reene posted:

this, and adjacent talk about what you personally feel it's appropriate to do to pieces of cardboard, is definitely a more important discussion to have than the absolutely rampant and horrifying levels of harassment and abuse even low-profile female Magic players have had to endure for literal years and which nobody has given even a passing poo poo about until this particular moment, and will be forgotten in the wake of WOTC's milquetoast, vague, and useless response to it. I definitely love that I have to wade through everyone's personal take on flip it or rip it or loving power every time this comes up lately, and definitely don't wish everyone that feels a need to weigh in on that first would take a running jump up their own asses

We can talk about this since I somehow started another weird argument with an offhand joke

Other people are talking about harassment from MTGHeadquarters or general harassment from the MTG community in the wake of this

https://twitter.com/nanikuzu/status/934660982491693056

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/934262602040930305

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/934629766828769280

https://twitter.com/moxymtg/status/934589184785858560

https://twitter.com/_Elantris_/status/934254971205296128

https://twitter.com/TheManaSource/status/934277798847500294

https://twitter.com/TheManaSource/status/934280539632226305

https://twitter.com/TheManaSource/status/934461891912577025

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Leperflesh posted:

OK. I was thinking there was a small chance maybe they lost the license to the artwork/design or some poo poo, like the Harmony Gold situation with Battletech and the Unseen mechs. But actually it's just "they can't do it without engendring major backlash, today, as things stand, which tells us nothing about what they'd be willing to do in, say, 10 years or 20 years or whatever."

i mean, considering they've poked at the edges of it a few times and had to tighten up their stance, it does tell us something but okay guy who literally admits to not knowing poo poo about this situation

Kurieg posted:

All they'd have to do is remove the basic land types. It'd kill the utility for the pain fetches but that's really only a modern issue.

depends on if they're printed in a regular expert level expansion or a supplement. if they put them in some weird supplement they could easily keep the basic types and make them legendary or have some rule about how they interact with ABUR duals or whatever

there's no way "enters untapped" duals with no drawback will be in standard again tho

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Here's a good tweet that explains MTGHeadquarter's history of super lovely behavior too:

https://twitter.com/PleasantKenobi/status/934472359616147456

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i mean, considering they've poked at the edges of it a few times and had to tighten up their stance, it does tell us something but okay guy who literally admits to not knowing poo poo about this situation

Hi friend, there's no need to be hostile. I pointed out a semantic difference between "can't" and "won't" out of interest in clarity, not to score points or something: and I was right about that, which means little in context, because I understand the intent was to state a strong opinion that the company won't reprint those cards. Which in the context of the conversation is a fine thing to say, and nothing more. It's all good, OK?

I'm sorry there's clearly been really terrible conversations around this topic that have set folks on edge about it. I didn't know that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The whole situation with this MTGHQ dude sounds incredibly lovely, and half the responses to that WotC tweet are from the sorts of people who unironically think there's an SJW conspiracy to make free speech illegal or something, but I'm actually not entirely sure what WotC can do about the rear end in a top hat in question since from what everyone's been saying he's not actually an officially sanctioned representative, employee, or whatever. It sounds like he's just a dude who does unboxing-type videos, and WotC apparently stopped sending him preview stuff after his first meltdown. They could bar him from officially sanctioned events if they wanted to, and I'd probably do so because he seems like a huge dickhead, but beyond making a strongly worded statement they don't really have a lot of say-so over this guy's behavior.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kai Tave posted:

The whole situation with this MTGHQ dude sounds incredibly lovely, and half the responses to that WotC tweet are from the sorts of people who unironically think there's an SJW conspiracy to make free speech illegal or something, but I'm actually not entirely sure what WotC can do about the rear end in a top hat in question since from what everyone's been saying he's not actually an officially sanctioned representative, employee, or whatever. It sounds like he's just a dude who does unboxing-type videos, and WotC apparently stopped sending him preview stuff after his first meltdown. They could bar him from officially sanctioned events if they wanted to, and I'd probably do so because he seems like a huge dickhead, but beyond making a strongly worded statement they don't really have a lot of say-so over this guy's behavior.

Nintendo literally monetizes any video that has their content in it, period, WotC has hasbro money to persuade YouTube with, it's entirely possible for them to do something if they want

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

There doesn't seem to be much they can do other than say that he's now on the DCI suspended list and they have no relationship with him or condone his actions.

I can't imagine this guy being popular with his FLGS but it's a game you can buy at Walmart or Target and Youtube won't do much other than unmonetize his channel, if they haven't already, if it's not a DMCA violation.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nintendo literally monetizes any video that has their content in it, period, WotC has hasbro money to persuade YouTube with, it's entirely possible for them to do something if they want

In a practical sense, yeah, but I personally don't hope for more companies actively twisting fair use into a pretzel and then shoving it up the asses of people who can barely afford to meet eyes with a lawyer, even if those so abused are huge pieces of poo poo themselves.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wonder: is Magic: the Gathering considered a "core brand" at Hasbro? That is, one of their highest moneymakers like Transformers, My Little Pony, Monopoly, etc. (Dungeons & Dragons has never been able to reach that height, for the record.) That would give a lot of indication as to how willing they are to actually throw money at Magic in general.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wonder: is Magic: the Gathering considered a "core brand" at Hasbro? That is, one of their highest moneymakers like Transformers, My Little Pony, Monopoly, etc. (Dungeons & Dragons has never been able to reach that height, for the record.) That would give a lot of indication as to how willing they are to actually throw money at Magic in general.

In 2012 they were bragging, in a press release sort of way, that Magic had made somewhere in excess of $200 million that year and was estimated to continue climbing. I have no idea if that puts it in "core brand" territory by Hasbro's metrics but it's not exactly small potatoes, and it has substantial market penetration given that you can find Magic at big box stores, gas stations, any place that sells nerdy tat, etc.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It is, if you look at shareholder reports the cover’s stuff like ponies and trucks next to a realistic wizard.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yes that'd just be great another company purposely abusing and undermining fair use. I also love convincing the taskmasters to beat another slave to slighted me.

edit: He should still receive a DCI ban, but no Hasbro should have no legal authority over people filming their product period. No one should ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes that'd just be great another company purposely abusing and undermining fair use. I also love convincing the taskmasters to beat another slave to slighted me.

edit: He should still receive a DCI ban, but no Hasbro should have no legal authority over people filming their product period. No one should ever.

I would like him to not make money off being a toxic rear end in a top hat off this game, so at the very least I would like WotC to get him demonetized

• Locked thread