Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Putting my ATV to sleep and waking it up used
To also turn my Samsung tv on and off. Now it doesn’t anymore. What gives?

I run the HDMI through a Yamaha receiver if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did HDMI-CEC get turned off somehow?

Also it's HDMI-CEC so it probably just decided it doesn't want to work right now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to occasionally reboot it or go into settings and turn CEC back on again, it's baffling but that always seems to fix it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
CEC will randomly change how much it controls if I so much as unplug and replug cables (same cables, same ports). Sometimes it turns on my TV and receiver at the same time I turn on my cable box but sometimes it doesnt.

I've given up trying to fix it and just deal with it now. Also I would turn it off completely but my TV doesn't send sound to my receiver at all if it's off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a 6ish year old Samsung 1080p tv. Just switched my 4K ATV to 1080p HDR from SDR and all the colors look awful and washed out. Is this something my tv has to specifically support to not make the colors look like garbage?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a 6ish year old Samsung 1080p tv. Just switched my 4K ATV to 1080p HDR from SDR and all the colors look awful and washed out. Is this something my tv has to specifically support to not make the colors look like garbage?
Yes. That's what HDR means.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah HDR, like HD, is something the tv has to actually support.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok thanks. I don’t really keep up with TVs much. Didn’t know if it was just some different processing the ATV just did.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Anyone know of any good apps that will play back 4K HDR? I bought Infuse 5 based on lots of positive recommendations but the audio of every file I play (regardless of file type or resolution) is way out of sync. I tried MrMC but it refuses to connect to my NAS. Are there any other options at the moment?

I can't wait for Plex to support HDR properly so I can stop worrying about this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just got my ATV set up. Is the channels app that everyone raves about with the HDHR the one for $25? Want to make sure I have the right one before plunking down five happy meals.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Just got my ATV set up. Is the channels app that everyone raves about with the HDHR the one for $25? Want to make sure I have the right one before plunking down five happy meals.

It's by Fancy Bits, LLC and has this icon:

It really is quite good.

However if $25 is bit too rich and you already have a PLEX Pass, you may want to have your PLEX Server connect to the HDHR and use the tvOS client to watch live TV. PLEX has a stupid simple DVR for HDHR too. You need PLEX Pass for both of those. I think that's $5/month, $40/yr, or $150 Lifetime.

I'm not a huge fan of the guide for live TV in PLEX so I usually use PLEX to DVR shows and use Channels for live TV.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 26, 2017

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a list of 4K apps?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Proteus Jones posted:

It's by Fancy Bits, LLC and has this icon:

It really is quite good.

However if $25 is bit too rich and you already have a PLEX Pass, you may want to have your PLEX Server connect to the HDHR and use the tvOS client to watch live TV. PLEX has a stupid simple DVR for HDHR too. You need PLEX Pass for both of those. I think that's $5/month, $40/yr, or $150 Lifetime.

I'm not a huge fan of the guide for live TV in PLEX so I usually use PLEX to DVR shows and use Channels for live TV.

Wow, this is incredible, worth the $25. No lag, no distortion, and works perfectly with my set up. I have the plex pass and am not overly impressed with the UI.

Different question on the ATV. I see how nicely my phone integrates with the ATV as far as text input, using as controller, airplay, etc. Is there something that I need to do so my wife can replicate all the functionality from her iPhone? We are already in a family iCloud account.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Wow, this is incredible, worth the $25. No lag, no distortion, and works perfectly with my set up. I have the plex pass and am not overly impressed with the UI.

Different question on the ATV. I see how nicely my phone integrates with the ATV as far as text input, using as controller, airplay, etc. Is there something that I need to do so my wife can replicate all the functionality from her iPhone? We are already in a family iCloud account.

The DVR part of Channels (8/mo subscription and needs an always-on place to run the server side - mine runs on my NAS, but there are Windows and Mac servers as well) also works quite well, and integrates into the same app.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wish I could feed my antenna (better quality) and my DTV box into one interface on ATV.

I do this on my Xbox and it’s slick, but I feel like ATV is the future.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm getting so fed up with the big 3 tech companies. It's almost December and still no Prime Video or Youtube TV app on Apple TV.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Hughlander posted:

I'm getting so fed up with the big 3 tech companies. It's almost December and still no Prime Video or Youtube TV app on Apple TV.

I interpreted the Apple announcement that the Prime Video app will be available “before the end of the year” to mean December 31st at 11:59PT.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dem Bones posted:

I interpreted the Apple announcement that the Prime Video app will be available “before the end of the year” to mean December 31st at 11:59PT.

I didn't believe that announcement at all; I expect it'll come in April--if at all.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if they're still just haggling over money or something, it's obviously not a technical problem.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Trying to sell one more FireTV for Xmas I'm sure.

Be nice if the richest people in the world weren't such petulant children but oh well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd joke that they were unable to make the tvOS interface as bad as their brand standard but looking at Hulu that's obviously not true.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Apple TV's and Amazon Fire's do not compete for the same customer base. It's probably more like Apple doesn't want to lose their iTunes sales to cheaper Amazon Video options.

It's like Fire tablets versus iPads. The both have their good and bad qualities, but no one's debating between that $350 iPad and that $49.95 Fire tablet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

qirex posted:

I'd joke that they were unable to make the tvOS interface as bad as their brand standard but looking at Hulu that's obviously not true.

Hoo boy if you think Hulu's interface is bad, check out the new one from FXNow.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I actually did a double take when I saw it, a big list of things you can watch? Too simple! we need massive animated hero screens for things, who cares if you can move between them.

I find it super annoying that in order to have a "unified experience" a lot of apps are making the touchpad not actually scroll and just act like you're pressing left/right buttons a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Thankfully, it plugs into the TV app so you can mostly ignore it completely. But good god.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Thankfully, it plugs into the TV app so you can mostly ignore it completely. But good god.

Yeah, I was gonna say that thankfully you can skip it altogether. It's amazing that they've actually gotten worse while a bunch of apps seem to have gotten better. The NBC app comes to mind as one that became much more intuitive and easy to navigate. Same with PBS. But man, someone at Fox was like "BIGGER FULL SCREEN PICTURES!! Easy to navigate lists of shows and movies? gently caress that, STICK IT AT THE BOTTOM AND MAKE IT TAKE SUPER LONG TO SCROLL DOWN TO IT!"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I barely use it, but I find the ESPN app's “must play video AT ALL TIMES” idea more irritating.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love the ESPN app. Quad-view is fantastic for college football Saturdays.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone know of a device that can extract analog audio from the Apple TV and pass through the video untouched? I've had one on my Amazon wishlist for a while, but it doesn't support UHD/HDCP2.2/HDR etc and the new version (at twice the price, of course) only has an optical out and no RCAs.

(It's not essential, but it looks the easiest way of pumping the Apple TV to my Zone 2 if the lounge is being used for something else).

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone know of a device that can extract analog audio from the Apple TV and pass through the video untouched? I've had one on my Amazon wishlist for a while, but it doesn't support UHD/HDCP2.2/HDR etc and the new version (at twice the price, of course) only has an optical out and no RCAs.

(It's not essential, but it looks the easiest way of pumping the Apple TV to my Zone 2 if the lounge is being used for something else).

If you can get optical audio some way or another (a lot of HDTV's have optical audio outputs for whatever HDMI input they have), you can use a cheap optical to RCA converter like this one. Or you can get an HDMI audio extractor (which is probably what you were talking about?) - this one says UHD/HDCP2.2/HDR and has a 3.5mm jack, which you can just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable with.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Monoprice probably has analog audio extractors, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I love the ESPN app. Quad-view is fantastic for college football Saturdays.

loving A it is.

Also, I can have FoxSports app up on my iPad. And in a pinch throw up a CBS game using my HD Home Run client on my MBP, but that limits my ability to live shitpost in FF.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dem Bones posted:

If you can get optical audio some way or another (a lot of HDTV's have optical audio outputs for whatever HDMI input they have), you can use a cheap optical to RCA converter like this one. Or you can get an HDMI audio extractor (which is probably what you were talking about?) - this one says UHD/HDCP2.2/HDR and has a 3.5mm jack, which you can just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable with.

Ah interesting, that looks like the exact same OEM box that I saw previously except it has that 3.5mm on it. That's the difference maker! The TV would be on cable or something in this exact circumstance, and piping music from the ATV to the outside. Unless you have higher end receivers, Zone 2 usually only lets you run analog audio so this is the only way I can think of to reliably do it. I'd rather plan for the future than just get the old version for my current Gen 4 box.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't wrap my head around your setup, but if you're used to optical and are getting a device without the port, you can use HDMI pass-through by connecting

* your audio device to the TV via toslink
* your TV to devices like (modern) consoles and set-tops like your ATV via just HDMI

Also saves you from buying a bunch of optical cables and splitters/switches.

Obviously this assumes your TV has an optical port, but since it has HDR and all kinds of crap, I'd be surprised if it didn't support this.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
I think the problem with that is, he wants to split the ATV audio off so he can use its audio in a different room while the TV is watching something other than the ATV. The TV optical audio out would be outputting the audio of the non-ATV (cable box) input.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's an unusual use case, essentially everything connects to AVR like normal via the HDMIs and the AVR is connected to the TV. This part is normal.

Person A in lounge wants to watch cable, Person B wants to listen to music outside from iTunes. Easiest way (for me anyway) is to use the Apple TV for this... maybe even airplay from a phone to it. But the new ATVs only have the HDMI jack and nothing else, and ideally the box would be fully compatible with all the latest HDCP/HDMI spec and pass this through.

I don't even think optical audio would help as I'm 99% sure that Zone 2 *has* to be analog from RCAs but I could check the manual to be sure. It's a compromise to make you spend more money on more expensive amps if you want true multizone audio/video in your house, which I don't generally need for most of the time. I'm usually happy with Zone A and the HDMI SUB to the Zone B TV showing the same thing, but if an extra bit of tech covers all the bases it's always good.

e: Thinking about this, I think I also need to have a splitter like this in place if I want to watch the Apple TV outside at all, as I don't think it'll carry digital audio from a multichannel source across without messing with settings all the time. I'll have to get the rig set up and see how it goes.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 30, 2017

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Could you just get a little airport express and chuck it in your other room, and airplay to it when you want audio over there? Not much more expensive and less complex than that solution maybe?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Granite Octopus posted:

Could you just get a little airport express and chuck it in your other room, and airplay to it when you want audio over there? Not much more expensive and less complex than that solution maybe?

This is what I do. Works fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll have to look into how the Express works exactly to see if it would fit in. I have HDMI running from the lounge to the patio, along with speaker wiring, and can control most things on my phone which is useful. I’ve only just got the AVR and don’t have speakers out there yet (I have them, they’re just my temp inside ones) so I haven’t had chance to check everything works as it does in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm pretty sure Apple TV's and Amazon Fire's do not compete for the same customer base. It's probably more like Apple doesn't want to lose their iTunes sales to cheaper Amazon Video options.
Apple required a 30% cut of all digital goods sold through their hardware. Amazon doesn't want to pay that, so they didn't make an Apple TV app. They don't want people going to competitors, so they stopped selling any streaming thing that doesn't do amazon stuff out of the box.

They don't sell chromecasts either, for the same reason.

https://www.recode.net/2016/5/31/11826394/amazon-apple-tv-google-chromecast

Not sure which side blinked.