Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FailureToReport posted:

Over a hundred of high fidelity systems at launch, for sure!

When the "incorrect" rumor of them scaling back to 10-15 systems at launch started circulating I was actually impressed that they realized what they had promised wasn't realistic, then when rabid fans told me that wasn't the case and it was still over a hundred I was right back to wondering how they were ever going to pull it off before 1/2 their backers died of old age.

Hello

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol good cat

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

FailureToReport posted:

Thank you, thank you.

I honestly thought I was to obvious about it to get anyone, but I guess not.

D_Smart posted:

He's a loving moron. But remember he DID say that he has a "condition" (he's a retarded moron) which prevents him from totally walking away. So yeah, this makes plenty of sense.

He's a loving moron. Just like the rest of them.

Dude

You got Derek Smart

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

FailureToReport posted:

I'm over it, that whole thing has bugged me since he started in screaming about his privacy, I proved my point, moving on with my life, got video games to play.

That's the spirit.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Sale so far (going by UK time) is ~$2.5mil:

Anyone know how this compares to 2016?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Aspergeddon 2017: Vlog vs Blog

his nibs posted:

FailureToRapport more like

loma

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Latin Pheonix posted:

Sale so far (going by UK time) is ~$2.5mil:

Anyone know how this compares to 2016?

seems strange that the exact same amount was made both days

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Star Citizen Raises a Million Dollars in a Day; New Video Shows Alien Ships and Ground Vehicles

quote:

Yesterday, we reported that Cloud Imperium Games’ Star Citizen had passed 166 million dollars, well… scratch that. The game’s crowdfunding total is now at over 167 million dollars. More precisely, it’s at $167,134,692 provided by 1,920,416 registered users.

This means that the Star Citizen raised over a million dollars in a day, thanks to the anniversary sales, offering many ships at a discounted price. It’s pretty much your space Black Friday.

As usual, it’s worth mentioning that these ship purchases are entirely optional, and backers are buying ships for the sake of supporting the game’s development. All of them will be available in the game, and players will be able to earn them via normal gameplay.

On top of the crowdfunding update, we get a new video focusing on ground vehicles and alien ones, providing updates on the massive Banu Merchantman and Tumbril Cyclone humvee.

You can check out the video below. If you want to see more, you can check out more videos on the Aegis Dynamics Hammerhead, one on the Aegis Hawk, another showing the impressive procedural cities technology, one on quantum travel, one on improvements that are being made on the game’s already gorgeous graphics.

Before you watch the video, do keep in mind, for the sake of full disclosure, that the author of his article backed Star Citzien back when it hit Kickstarter a few years ago.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Milky Moor posted:

They aren't the exact same they are just symmetrical :argh:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A few years ago...ahahaha keep telling yourself that citizen. You got years more to go.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

G0RF posted:

And

And maybe even:

Sorry, posting from a few pages back.

The above pictures are like some sort of riddle or test, "One of these men is a successful games developer, and one is a fraud, which is which?"

Also DBmbe is so English he's drinking 3 cups of tea at once and also has an ornately framed picture of some cheerful socks on the wall behind him, or there's some socks stuck to the wall which have been neatly framed for effect. :)

CR looks like he's about to get raped by a drunken bad Santa.

DS looks like the back of the passport photo booth has at that exact moment, fallen away.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 27, 2017

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

I did some very rough math off the top of my head and between 3 Javelin sales (UK time) + Today's alien/ground total sales + average sales (about 25k/h), the total amounted to around 1m or so (375k + 181k + 525k = 1.081m). That's all from CIG's own figures, though, how truthful they are is another matter.

The alien/ground sales were really lacklustre, though. So far it seems that the Javelin sales + concepts have stopped this from being a total disaster for CIG. If they're going to pull out the big guns and sell land, now would be the time.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Latin Pheonix posted:

The alien/ground sales were really lacklustre, though.

Curiosity sent me looking for pictures of the alien ship and man that is one uninspired jpg. I can see why people weren't scrambling to drop $185 on it. As if that sentence didn't border on insanity enough as it is.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually I'm gonna defer to our expert in the field of "Buying back in and refunding again" on this one, I just don't think I have the qualifications required.

They'll probably try to deny refunds immediately after the anniversary sale ends, that's usually when they like to put the squeeze on. But they still haven't delivered the products they're selling so the second someone brings the law into it they'll fold.

SomethingJones posted:

Procedural tech involves having a procedure containing a subset of algorithms that generate the object in real time.

CIG's planet is a traditional object that exists all at once. Pre-made using traditional methods and tools.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages that are well known and well documented - but the point I'm making is that CIG are not using procedural generation despite them throwing 'procedural tech' around in order to sell more ships.

Okay, that's a fair cop. I don't know much about procgen, I just assumed they had a bad algorithm that was basically reproducing four or five landmark features over and over again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Variable 5 posted:

This is an ELE in the same way the dinosaurs getting cholesterol poisoning instead of being obliterated by a massive meteor is an ELE.

I’m a gambler, playing with people’s lives, but this was good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

Curiosity sent me looking for pictures of the alien ship and man that is one uninspired jpg. I can see why people weren't scrambling to drop $185 on it. As if that sentence didn't border on insanity enough as it is.
Can you post it? Their webpages are bad and creepy.

But the alien ships I looked at last night were just rip-offs of the shadows from Babylon 5. Which is good to reference, I guess, B5 had cool spaceships for the time.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Re: tiny planets

https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicCooperativePangolinPogChamp
Here's a video of somebody falling from "Orbit" AKA about 5km up. If you look at his bottom right tire you'll see a little light. That is the flashlight of a player at ground level.

The planets are so small, you can see flashlights from orbit.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Citizen posted:

Rumor has it the next "concept sale" will actually be the ability to buy terrain licenses and by looking at the classified image on the RSI website it seems possible...if you see the next classified image is a planet with the UEE logo and the letters seems to spell "Terrain License."

Uh oh!

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7fq9r5/whats_your_opinion_on_cig_selling_terrain_licenses/?st=jahiodur&sh=cf42a5aa

Citizens already on board

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 27, 2017

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Dusty Lens posted:

What surprised me is that the Banu Merchantman is a really popular ship, so I expected today's sale to go much better. Strangely, though, it doesn't seem to have pulled in that many sales. :shrug:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Latin Pheonix posted:

I did some very rough math off the top of my head and between 3 Javelin sales (UK time) + Today's alien/ground total sales + average sales (about 25k/h), the total amounted to around 1m or so (375k + 181k + 525k = 1.081m). That's all from CIG's own figures, though, how truthful they are is another matter.

The alien/ground sales were really lacklustre, though. So far it seems that the Javelin sales + concepts have stopped this from being a total disaster for CIG. If they're going to pull out the big guns and sell land, now would be the time.

Those javelin sales have to be bullshit. Nobody is buying a multi crew warship at this point when the ability to use it is years off. CIG has to be the ones buying their own wares. They can't let their most expensive ship NOT sell out.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

If so, this will be the big indicator of the whales' financial reserves/exhaustion. How much more are whales willing to spend? Find out on Tuesday!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey programmer Goons, my brother in law is teaching himself programming and I was wondering if you had any book recommendations. Maybe something like that Clean Code book that was discussed earlier?

Pragmatic programmer.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

If so, this will be the big indicator of the whales' financial reserves/exhaustion. How much more are whales willing to spend? Find out on Tuesday!

Calling a $10M total for the sale event (the whole anniversary sale).

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Bowtie guy lands on an asteroid:

https://clips.twitch.tv/KindAffluentSoymilkHassanChop

:gary:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Scrambling the text like that seems like a good way to trial balloon a questionable sales tactic. But knowing CIG I know there isn't a backup plan so that couldn't be what they are doing. They figured out a long time ago that if they chum the waters with an idea, citizens will convince each other it's good by the time they launch it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Latin Pheonix posted:

What surprised me is that the Banu Merchantman is a really popular ship, so I expected today's sale to go much better. Strangely, though, it doesn't seem to have pulled in that many sales. :shrug:

They have no idea what the MerchantMan is and how they are going to build it. It's been in WIP for the past 4 years and I don't think its going anywhere soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGucMKTUt8

More shilling and check out the brokenness of the whole game. Lmao.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

Today I went shopping for Christmas decorations with my son and he asked to know a bit more about robins as they were everywhere, so I told him they were Festive Murder Birds and they kill people who have been naughty and not nice. The shopping trip ended up with my chasing him around squawking and we bought nothing but almost died laughing :laugh:

You really need to get a handle on your anger Peter we're beginning to worry now :ohdear:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://i.imgur.com/jZygsMh.gifv

found a gif of ftr and derek meeting

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks to everyone for suggestions for my brother-in-law, I really appreciate it.

I realise that I'm a bit late, but if you're in the market for a brother-in-law, I believe the best way is to write out a list of pertinent questions and run interview sessions before your sister decides on who she will marry

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Latin Pheonix posted:

The ship's been so MIA for years that you can count the number of concept images on one hand. CIG killed the MM in the crib by hyping it, selling it, and then immediately shelving it to go fish for big whales who want a Polaris or Javelin or whatever, while cranking out a legion of same-ey space fighters because it's the only thing they can reliably make fairly quickly.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

concept images
(Which were all Archer'd.)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What the gently caress, there's a picture of the "deck" of the Merchantman? It's a guy in a little silly looking room watching some boxes on... Rails? Or something? And if you go to download image, it has a little note scribbled in the corner "this is where the Banu does all the negotiating with clients and it looks onto the cargo bay so clients can see the cargo"

who loving writes like that

also, lol at windows on your spaceship to show the cargo bay full of boxes

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Spiderdrake posted:

Can you post it? Their webpages are bad and creepy.

But the alien ships I looked at last night were just rip-offs of the shadows from Babylon 5. Which is good to reference, I guess, B5 had cool spaceships for the time.

e; I guess there's also one other image showcasing just how far one can go to make a ridiculous landing system.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 27, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I know we all cheered a bit for a "LOL they broke" Sale period, but im happy this thing has a few more millions in the Tank. i only got here half a year ago and this place is cool and good and i like the (sometimes weird) people and the thread the way it is.

And lets be honest theres no way they burn through less than 3-4 Million a month with those employee counts, so this sale bought them the much proposed "2 Weeks" so far.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Uncle D, whats the latest buzz from your sources. We've been missing those lately.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

no_recall posted:

Hey Uncle D, whats the latest buzz from your sources. We've been missing those lately.

Derek and his sources say that things are looking good! Great time to buy back in!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I know we all cheered a bit for a "LOL they broke" Sale period, but im happy this thing has a few more millions in the Tank. i only got here half a year ago and this place is cool and good and i like the (sometimes weird) people and the thread the way it is.

if all that remains of star citizen is this thread and the friendships forged, it will have all been worth it

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

It's the new Million Dollar Homepage.

http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

FailureToReport posted:

Over a hundred of high fidelity systems at launch, for sure!

When the "incorrect" rumor of them scaling back to 10-15 systems at launch started circulating I was actually impressed that they realized what they had promised wasn't realistic, then when rabid fans told me that wasn't the case and it was still over a hundred I was right back to wondering how they were ever going to pull it off before 1/2 their backers died of old age.

Keep in mind that although CIG has never expressly said this, and in fact implicitly stated the opposite, nobody who backed Star Citizen in any way, shape, or form was paying for CIG to develop the game.

They were paying CIG to figure out how to develop the game. It sounds like a semantic difference but it's not.

A game development company would have had the game documented, plans laid out, knew what the gameplay loop was, knew what the game would do, and most importantly, what the game would not do, at least for launch. Then, once they knew everything to do, they used knowledgeable people to set about doing it.

CIG, in contrast, has no idea how to make a game. The implicit lie I referenced earlier was the constant name-dropping of "Chris Roberts", a guy who made a shooty-game in 1990 and who has been kicked off subsequent projects for doing exactly what he's doing now, the implication being that with him on board, of course they know how to do this.

They don't.

CIG further muddies the waters by claiming that they're "pushing the limits", or "aiming high". There's a distinct difference between "aiming high", and "being too dumb to know what's feasible and what's stupid" and that's a difference Chris Roberts certainly does not grasp.

Another smoke bomb they like to drop is that they have to "invent new tech" to achieve their "vision." You've heard plenty of this bullshit so far - subsumption, server mesh, inner thought, etc. Some people, myself included, think it's just a way to hide the fact that they're reinventing the wheel, but I've started to think there may be more to it than that. When you're building a cult-like environment, or simply trying to engender support to keep people pledging money to feel like they're part of something, it's important to create a lexicon that only those on the "inside" will recognize. Those meaningless terms fill that need, and there's no shortage of backers tossing them around as a dog-whistle to other backers to let them know that they're in the same club.

There's more clique development than game development at CIG.