Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

zelah posted:

Pretty much only white people

The Whitest of all White people.

Mormans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Haifisch posted:

Because it's so easy that it never dawns on them that they might need to do things like "pay taxes properly" or "get off their asses for a day and find a tax attorney familiar with their state's laws".

Well, that and their gig comes with a horde of yes-men constantly assuring them that they've done no wrong and anyone who says otherwise is a hater.

It's funny about he wants the entire world to know how low he really is on the income totem pole, BUT I EARN A LIVING PLAYING VIDDY GAMES UNLIKE YOU CORPORATE SHEEPLES

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Whitest of all White people.

Mormans

actually they're quite heterogeneous to their whiteness. I knew one of those folks who learned japanese apparently to near fluency and had never watched a single anime. just learned japanese to try to proselytize and for the cushy-rear end post. being a weeb - white as hell. knowing japanese while somehow being 0% weeb - not so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's plenty of non-white people who are huge weebs, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A big flaming stink posted:

here's the original video of the broadcast if you truly hate yourself and want to listen to this guy stammer and snort for an hour straight

I don't, but thank you for doing it for us. :patriot:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Their big product is a body wrap that makes you look slimmer

Sounds like it works :colbert:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Guest2553 posted:

Has there ever been a diamond/platinum/jesus-level MLM family that wasn't Chad-and-Becky as gently caress? Legitimately curious.

Some MLMs do target minority communities i.e. Herbalife with Hispanics, and the MLMs that target college kids (Vector Marketing, the various book resellers) seem to be pretty even. Though yes, the highest level presenters are inevitably white because white folks are more likely to be able to afford to be SAHMs and have the time/resources to peddle bullshit.

MLMs are expanding rapidly in Asia however where there is a massive market for snake oil beauty products.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Also the only good thing on reddit (besides the cute animal gifs) is r/Youniqueamua which is where you can go to laugh/cry at the horrible MLM "makeup artists" on Facebook who are not only losing money but making themselves look like clowns in the process. BWM, BWL.

For example, this is the goddamn cofounder of Younique. A company that sells makeup.

This is what Younique does to people.

Dictating your sales pitch to your kid for her homework assignment is just being a #BossMom

"Small businesses"

And then there are posts like this which are just Sad With Money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

actually they're quite heterogeneous to their whiteness. I knew one of those folks who learned japanese apparently to near fluency and had never watched a single anime. just learned japanese to try to proselytize and for the cushy-rear end post. being a weeb - white as hell. knowing japanese while somehow being 0% weeb - not so

You have to admire their drive to help foreigners, even if you're suspect of their message. Mormons generally seem to learn all about the cultures they witness to.

They're still incredibly White though. Like they learn the language, but I'm pretty sure their pantries are stocked with Kool-Aid no matter how exotic the locale.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7fmucy/terrified_over_sons_astronomical_student_loan/

quote:

My son and I could be the poster for what can go wrong when a family is starry-eyed when beginning their college journey. Every new semester when we got a fresh, new loan, we didn’t worry because having a college degree is a guarantee for a successful life. Right? I am starting $230/mo. Payment on a parent plus loan this month. My son is going to help me with this payment as much as he is able with his $13/hour job but he has an apartment and a girlfriend and he says he can’t really afford $200 per month. And now for the part that has me physically worried sick: A private student loan is saying he will owe $1235 per month beginning in March. This is apparently the best they can do as far as reducing payments. They don’t have any income-based payment options like the government loans. My son is going to start looking for a better-paying job but he doesn’t have his degree yet. He’s a few classes short. What are my options? I am a 43-year-old widow (within the last few years) who owns my home. I make $35,000 a year and have $56,000 in a 401(k). I want to get my name off this mess as soon as possible because I’m scared of losing my home — the one security I have left. Here are things I’ve considered so far while tossing and turning in the middle of the night: 1. Find a job that pays twice my current salary (this would involve moving to a big city and the housing/moving costs could defeat my purpose. Plus, I love my hometown.) 2. Hire a lawyer to help me 3. Offer the big loan my retirement in exchange for taking my name off or reducing payments (I’d start over again with an aggressive plan) 4. Not paying them and just let my credit be ruined forever. (Also I heard they can garnish my wages at 15% which, for me would be about $600/mo. gross and, for my budget, that would mean no food or gas or saving) 5. Get advice on reddit.
Please, please help me. I haven’t slept in days.
TLDR: my son will soon owe $1235 per month on one loan, and he can’t afford even $200 per month on another (which I am paying now) and I am the co-signer who was recently widowed and has my own budget set up as a house of cards. What are my options?

Then later:

quote:

The big one is around $120,000 Some Federals at about $40,000 Parent plus at 18,000
He is getting a degree in game art.

Almost $200k in loans for an unfinished degree in "game art". I feel bad for the mom but how can you be that oblivious to the fact that you're putting your name on a loan for 5 times your annual income?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

You have to admire their drive to help foreigners, even if you're suspect of their message. Mormons generally seem to learn all about the cultures they witness to.

They're still incredibly White though. Like they learn the language, but I'm pretty sure their pantries are stocked with Kool-Aid no matter how exotic the locale.

There are much worse denominations to be stocking Kool-Aid.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7fmucy/terrified_over_sons_astronomical_student_loan/

Then later:

Almost $200k in loans for an unfinished degree in "game art". I feel bad for the mom but how can you be that oblivious to the fact that you're putting your name on a loan for 5 times your annual income?

200k of loans for a game art degree?

Full Sail Academy: Set Sail for Fail.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There are much worse denominations to be stocking Kool-Aid.

:perfect:

Here's some additional dumb motherfuckers from reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/7f1z7z/chargeback_to_hotwire_after_false_advertising_do/ posted:

I'm in a dispute with Hotwire over a purchase I made. I've got a college reunion coming up in a few months that I tried to book a room for. One of the optional additional fees was called Trip Cancellation, for $22.50. I purchased that and was told I'd be staying in a motel 6km from downtown, where the reunion is happening. I thought I'd be able to cancel this purchase as I'd opted for Trip Cancellation, but upon calling Hotwire they told me that it is trip protection and insurance, as in it is for use in case my trip is cancelled due to illness or weather.

I'm upset with this because from what I can see, they clearly use misleading wording to make this purchase seem as though you are paying extra for the option of cancelling your trip. Calling it "Trip Cancellation" on the website, but "Trip Protection" in your email receipt seems to be further evidence that they intentionally have tried to persuade customers into making a misinformed purchase.

During my call with Hotwire they continually referred to it as protection or insurance, not cancellation as is advertised.

I've got a screenshot of the website where it lists the option as Trip Cancellation, not protection or insurance, as well as a recording of my phone call with Hotwire and my email receipts. I've also already called the insurance company that offers this and cancelled with them. They were very easy to deal with.

I truly believe that Hotwire does this intentionally to get more money from customers. I've never issued a chargeback before. Do I have a leg to stand on here? I would believe this falls under Visa Reason Code 53 for "Not as Described or Defective Merchandise."

I don't want to compromise my credit score. What are possible negative repurcussions I could suffer from this?

help i didn't understand a service i bought but was unhappy with it, how do i make this someone else's fault

exhibit b:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/7ettey/using_hbp_when_i_already_have_a_property_in_my/ posted:

Long story short: 5 years ago I helped my dad out by co-signing for his mortgage. The bank wanted my name on the deed and so the lawyer added me as 1% owner I have moved in and out of this address over the past 5 years I am now looking to buy my own place I am being told I am ineligible for HBP

However this is extremely unfair as I have no financial interest in my dads property.

My question is as follows: What is the risk if I go ahead and withdraw from my RRSP under HBP anyways? Does the CRA know that I have am listed on the deed of my dads property? If I am audited and caught down the line, I am fairly certain I would have already paid off the HBP ‘loan’ so penalties and fees should be minimal.

In my eyes I see this as a low risk move. What does Reddit think?

quote:

But you do have financial interest in the property. You had to co-sign for the mortgage for it to be approved.

:lol:, with the potential for tax fraud.

vvv not worth a derail but maybe it's a regional thing? I've only ever known cancellation insurance to be redeemable when it's for reasons beyond your control.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 26, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Hotwire thing isn't so stupid. Calling it Trip Cancellation is kind of a dick move since cancellation options can vary so much and aren't usually available for special price promotions.

That guy is obsessing over this way too much though and his classmates are lucky he's not making it to the reunion.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, gently caress companies for deceptive practices like that. You shouldn’t have to comb the fine print on everything you buy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah I find that searching for flight/hotel rates via those aggregators is OK, but when it comes time to book you always want to book direct instead.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I'm interested in how he didn't know the hotel's location when he booked the stay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s how Priceline works.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Subjunctive posted:

That’s how Priceline works.

When your trawling for the cheapest yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Virigoth posted:

When your trawling for the cheapest yeah

OP told us to the cent how much the insurance costs. I’m feeling good about this one.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CannonFodder posted:

I still smile when I hear Mt Gox and think "no no no, that's the Magic: the Gathering Online Exchange."

So much of Bitcoin was handled by a place where people traded digital versions of collectable cards for a digital version of a game of real cards that is played in real life.

The London Stock Exchange can trace it's origins back to a place called "Jonathan's Coffee House" in the 17th century (where early stockbrokers met to do business), so it's not without precedent that a trivial place becomes surprisingly important in finance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan%27s_Coffee-House

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Not directed at you, but what is the point in blurring the handle of the public post if you can search for the content and thus get the handle? I mean, that is bad with internet all over it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not directed at you, but what is the point in blurring the handle of the public post if you can search for the content and thus get the handle? I mean, that is bad with internet all over it.

It discourages the lowest of low-effort drive by harassment, which it turns out is quite a bit of it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

The London Stock Exchange can trace it's origins back to a place called "Jonathan's Coffee House" in the 17th century (where early stockbrokers met to do business), so it's not without precedent that a trivial place becomes surprisingly important in finance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan%27s_Coffee-House

So in 400 years when we're all using our brain implants to squabble over who is the worst at allocating their credits and what's the best way to fund a melding ceremony, your great great great grandson Space BarbarianElephant is going to pull up some holowiki about how the crash of 2240 actually had its roots in a little online exchange originally designed for trading digital versions of collectible cards for a digital version of a game of physical cards that was played in physical space?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
In 400 years only the 3 richest people will have money and the rest of us will just be reserve organs for them.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chicago has the best homeless people. There's one by my work that screams at garbage cans and seems to always have a new guitar. I've never seen him play it, but he did throw it at a garbage truck once.

There's some newer dude on the bridge on the east side of the Merchandise Mart who always have a cat with him. I feel bad for the poor guys (guy and cat) in the cold.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Midjack posted:

It discourages the lowest of low-effort drive by harassment, which it turns out is quite a bit of it.

This. There's a pretty strict don't touch the poop policy on that subreddit. These are people advertising their businesses which does open them to a bit more critique than folks just putting selfies on Facebook, and they are spamming public groups with these ads. Hence the sea of hashtags.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

So in 400 years when we're all using our brain implants to squabble over who is the worst at allocating their credits and what's the best way to fund a melding ceremony, your great great great grandson Space BarbarianElephant is going to pull up some holowiki about how the crash of 2240 actually had its roots in a little online exchange originally designed for trading digital versions of collectible cards for a digital version of a game of physical cards that was played in physical space?

Only if he can form a joinder with the blockchain.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

A big flaming stink posted:

Choice BWM/BWL bits:

God how do these guys keep managing to gently caress up the easiest gig in life possible
He keeps swinging back and forth between "I write everything off as a cost of my business" and "DSP Gaming does not exist"

:pcgaming:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Then later:

Posts like this make me sad that the justice department is probably no longer going to go after scummy for-profit colleges that pressure people into signing up because admissions people were/are paid on commission and lie like crazy. Yeah yeah, personal responsibility they signed up for this. Whatever.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Nail Rat posted:

Fighting Marvel's lawyers (AKA Disney's lawyers now) seems very, very BWM.

I don't know how it is now, but around 10 years ago Marvel's legal department was seen as a "profit center."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inept posted:

Posts like this make me sad that the justice department is probably no longer going to go after scummy for-profit colleges that pressure people into signing up because admissions people were/are paid on commission and lie like crazy. Yeah yeah, personal responsibility they signed up for this. Whatever.

Not like it's a lot better than the rest of the college loan system at this point.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7fqdt9/wife_became_disabled_a_few_years_ago_and_we_are/

quote:

They tell me I don't "qualify" for any assistance, but we seriously have no money. I am no bouncing my rent checks, but because I make also 60k a year, they tell me I "make too much". We have one car, and are living hand-to-mouth right now. What's worse is I now have to quit or leave my job in the next few months and I don't think I'll be able to find anything close to what I make. I'm afraid that since my student loans can still take up to 15% of my disposable income which isn't THAT much less than I pay now. I'll spare you the details, but after paying all out medical expenses, rent, gas, electric, internet, etc, it barely leaves us with any leftover money. I mean, for fucks sake, we haven't had money for groceries for almost 3 weeks. I really don't know what to do, and no one seems to have any answers for me other than "you're in a really tight spot" or things like that. We are close to losing everything, and while 60 may seem like a lot, 60k plus the 800 or so a month my wife gets in SSDI, is barely enough to keep the lights on with her medical expenses and the cost of living in CT.

If anyone, anywhere can PLEASE tell me what I can do to get some help, I would greatly appreciate it. I tell friends and family that I am "one bad month away from being homeless" which isn't far from the truth. I've even talked to multiple lawyers who gave me more of the "geez, you're in a bad spot and no one can really help you". I refuse to believe out system is this corrupt.

TLDR: I work. Wife is disabled. Living paycheck to paycheck and have no money saved and we are now out of money. I don't "qualify" for any assistance it seems, but we are months away from being homeless as my student loans are almost as much as my rent, and I don't know what to do anymore....

quote:

Rent 1075/ a month Student loans ~ 800 Cell phones ~150 Internet and cable ~ 140 a month Food ~ 400-500 Insurance ~ 140 Car gas ~ 100 Medical payments 600/month Cats (yes our 2 cats have to have special food or else they throw up) ~100 for food and litter Electric ~ 100-150\month Netflix/Amazon prime ~ 30/month

I am sure there are other expenses I'm missing, but my take home is about 1375 bi-weekly and my wife gets like 800/month in ssdi. She gives me 300/month to help towards the bills and the rest goes to her medical bills.

Also, there seems to always be something random every month that seems to wipe out whatever little money we have, such as weddings, car repairs, etc.

Long in short is that while on paper, some may say we are doing okay, we really are not, and the current job I have is too stressful for me to be totally honest with you. I just started it earlier this year and the pay is good, but the workload and stress will put me in a psychological ward if I stay there much longer - I've puked twice last week alone from stress, and I'm working 50-65 hours a week. The undue stress from this job and the stress from home just isn't going to work, and I really need a change or else it's going to out me in an early grave.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just desperate, and have been burning through candles at both ends for a while now

quote:

Cats aren't even an option for adoption. My wife will be homeless before she let's that happen.

Spend less on cats.

No.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

My wife will be homeless before she let's that happen.

So be it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I mean, the $100/month on the two cats is not really that BWM compared to the bigger BWM picture of $500/month on food for two people who still "haven't had money for groceries for almost 3 weeks" and the ~$300/month combined on cell phones/internet/cable. There's a lot non-cat-related fat that could be trimmed in there if there situation is really that dire.

Also, his gross is 60K but he's only taking home ~35K? Does CT have ridiculous state taxes or something, because otherwise that seems really really high.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I read that as $600/mo on cats. Never mind.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like cats eat better than the people.

eat the cats

Known Lecher posted:

Also, his gross is 60K but he's only taking home ~35K? Does CT have ridiculous state taxes or something, because otherwise that seems really really high.

Yes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Known Lecher posted:

I mean, the $100/month on the two cats is not really that BWM compared to the bigger BWM picture of $500/month on food for two people who still "haven't had money for groceries for almost 3 weeks" and the ~$300/month combined on cell phones/internet/cable. There's a lot non-cat-related fat that could be trimmed in there if there situation is really that dire.

His witholdings are hosed or he's putting a lot of money in pension/401k that he isn't accounting for.

edit: CT state income tax is 5% on his first 50k and 5.5% on his next 10k. so he is responsible for $3,050 in state taxes, about $7,500 in Federal married filing jointly with his wife's SSDI income counted, and then of course FICA which is about $4,590. His tax burden is roughly $15,000. I have no idea how he is getting from what should be $45,000 takehome to $35,000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 27, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Health insurance premiums?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Union dues, but they wouldn't be that much.

There could be something wildly out there like wage garnishment or child support.

brugroffil posted:

Health insurance premiums?

Yeah, if he had a lovely plan with work I could see something like that contributing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

This is a gift that keeps on giving:

Not humblebragging redditor posted:

I hate to be redundant, I know this has been said. BUT, I can’t afford $150 for cell phones (we have pay as you go and spend 20 bucks a month), or cable (get a Roku). I don’t spend $500 a month on groceries. Yeah, I mean you aren’t swimming in money, your rent, medical payments and student loans are 2500 a month, but you aren’t exactly poor.
This is not bragging, or humble bragging either, but I own two houses outright and husband and I have 270 k in my retirement accounts and we can’t afford cable, 150 a month cell phones or 100 bucks a week on groceries. Sorry, but that’s the truth.
Your lack of financial discipline isn’t going to help your stress level. Can your wife sit in bed and answer a phone? My tenant makes 28,000 a year taking reservations for Disney from her bedroom.

oh and he forgot some stuff on his budget:

makin' 60k dumbass posted:

Oh yeah, I also forgot 400/month in minimum credit card payments too...
---
One is I think 18% (that one's only like 2k) and the other one is 24% with capital one and it's something like 10k there.
---
She cooks when she can, but some days she is in too much pain to cook, and I'm too burned out to cook myself. I know that's a bad cop out, but I'll just make a pb&j 3 or so nights a week.

Food 400-500 with at least 12 PBJ meals a month?