Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't plain halberd wreck the eagles? They always feel incredibly squishy when I use them. Seconding catbirds with halberds for the dragon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pendent posted:

Wouldn't plain halberd wreck the eagles? They always feel incredibly squishy when I use them. Seconding catbirds with halberds for the dragon though.

Catbirds are too expensive and take too long to recruit right now. They fly over halberds into everything that isn't a halberd and wreck it. I think this game is over. I don't know why Lothern declared war on me from the fog of war and then marched through their enemies Bastonne and Wood Elves to just attack me over and over again. Like I've fought off Tyrion 4 times and probably killed over fifteen stacks of helves but they won't stop coming and no one else on earth, even those with 400 happy points will ally with me.

loving bad game, should have stopped playing earlier.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Catbirds are too expensive and take too long to recruit right now. They fly over halberds into everything that isn't a halberd and wreck it. I think this game is over. I don't know what Lothern declared war on me from the fog of war and then marched through their enemies Bastonne and Wood Elves to just attack me over and over again.

In mortal empires, as Empire, I find it useful to go around with a single lord and discover all the elven factions. They're generally down to trade and sign nonagression parts. As your imperium level rises you get that pesky diplomacy penalty, so Lothern, who really likes to conquer all of Ulthuan, will probably be kinda standoffish with you at best by the time they discover you independently.

In fact my treasurer usually spends most of the game sailing the seas, finding treasures and discovering new factions. On harder difficulties this can be dangerous, cause the assholes in Araby like to declare war on you if they feel safe, and then suddenly in the middle of the Chaos Invasion some rear end in a top hat Bretonnian stack shows up in Weissanland.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Empire is and always will be hard mode. I'm sorry I failed you, my brave men :negative:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is there a mod that buffs the army buffs for the original factions like what was done for the second game?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Is Vlad's vanguard thing actually a weird faction bonus like it's listed on the screen? Isabella seems like she has a better overall boost, even if it means Drakenhof a turn later, but missing out on Hattori Vlad is a bit lame.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gitro posted:

Is Vlad's vanguard thing actually a weird faction bonus like it's listed on the screen? Isabella seems like she has a better overall boost, even if it means Drakenhof a turn later, but missing out on Hattori Vlad is a bit lame.

You can recruit the other Lord straight away. Vlad's vanguard is only for his army. I forget what the faction bonuses are but I normally take Vlad and recruit Isabella immediately so they can go on their lovely journey together.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Stack archers on top of spearmen

in fact, stack all units on top of each other until you only have one unit

then move that around

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

So is there a mod that buffs the army buffs for the original factions like what was done for the second game?

Do you mean the red-line stuff? If so there's this pretty good mod. If you mean the faction/lord effects the pte beta build for ME has buffed faction effects, but the Lord's army ones are super anaemic. +1 horde growth? Oh my, how can I lose now!

JBP posted:

You can recruit the other Lord straight away. Vlad's vanguard is only for his army. I forget what the faction bonuses are but I normally take Vlad and recruit Isabella immediately so they can go on their lovely journey together.

I know, but Vlad's vanguard deployment is listed as a faction effect for Vlad, not a lord effect like siege attacker. Isabella gets +weapon damage and capacity for vampires, he gets some other stuff that isn't as good I think. I find it way too expensive to try to run both lords on turn 1, that Vargheist upkeep adds up.

Not sure who to play next. VC? Grimgor? Kholek? Do I still need a mod for Chaos's raze options?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Starting with Isabella and recruiting Vlad immediately is far better than the other way around. Vlad still keeps his vanguard deployment and her faction bonuses are stronger. Use Vlad to lead your primary infantry army to take advantage of his bonuses while Isabella comes in with her bats, vargheists, and flying coven reinforcements. They're all fast as hell and flying so can easily catch up to the rest of the battle.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

JBP posted:

no one else on earth, even those with 400 happy points will ally with me.

Have you tanked your reliability or something because I've had no trouble making allies and confederating people

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

4 ME games down.

I have never seen the Beard Tide.

I'm starting to wonder if it is some mod screwing with things.

My last empire run with 0 mods has VC & Varg trashing the dwarves, they're barely alive 50 turns in. I think it's truly fairly random.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 27, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just an FYI if you're doing an Empire Campaign, the Luminark's are now ultra insane sniper rifles that never miss and dont really spazz out either anymore (they'll try and move in range if theres no real line of sight but if you go down to ground level you can see where they will have it) and are capable of killing Lords and heroes in 2 shots, ive had several fights where ive killed 2-3 generals with just one of theese crazy things.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gejnor posted:

Just an FYI if you're doing an Empire Campaign, the Luminark's are now ultra insane sniper rifles that never miss and dont really spazz out either anymore (they'll try and move in range if theres no real line of sight but if you go down to ground level you can see where they will have it) and are capable of killing Lords and heroes in 2 shots, ive had several fights where ive killed 2-3 generals with just one of theese crazy things.

I've always used them before TW:WH2 and then they got this good and can confirm they are the in-game equivalent of a delete button. They even blast clusters of enemies well once you've cleared the board of enemy single model units.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

JBP posted:

They fly over halberds into everything that isn't a halberd and wreck it.

Keep spearmen in reserve behind your lines to respond to anything, don't just commit everything into a blob then act surprised the AI attacks your vulnerable units.

Against a massive amount of monsters, you want a thick formation not a long one, you want them to get bogged down.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

toasterwarrior posted:

For those still looking for an even harsher climate restriction mod to try and get factions to not blob everywhere, I found this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162669339.

Basically, apart from the usual tweaks to the AI so it'll generally refuse to occupy wrong climate regions and just burn them, it changes every faction's climate preferences by straight-up removing unsuitable climates and either making them suitable or uninhabitable. Uninhabitable climates are completely useless and toxic to factions that don't take to them: we're talking 0 income, 0 replenishment, etc. The kicker is that these regions also get a whopping -25 public order penalty, so in the event that the AI captures a wrong climate region, it's guaranteed to lose it eventually. This also means that you can apply the mod to a current savegame and wait some turns before AI blobs in the wrong climates fall apart.

It's definitely the farthest I've seen a mod go about trying to "revert" the climate system back to a WH1-style binary occupation system. Bear in mind that you'll also lose out on those provinces now; I suppose you can keep Grung Zint as Empire/Bretonnia for the marble resource and guaranteed rebel stack every turn for farming experience, but the Grey Mountains are pretty much best left to a friendly Dwarf faction/vassal.

The mod has some weird consequences, like pinning Kroq-Gar in the Southlands. When I asked the mod maker about it, his response was basically "it's either that or Queek dies 10 turns".

Also some minor factions get absolutely hosed by this mod (like the Hatelves who are Queek's starting opponent in the Vortex campaign), and the AI still has no problem occupying areas it doesn't belong in, and then just sitting there like some inbred housecat as rebel stacks plink off it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

The mod has some weird consequences, like pinning Kroq-Gar in the Southlands. When I asked the mod maker about it, his response was basically "it's either that or Queek dies 10 turns".

Also some minor factions get absolutely hosed by this mod (like the Hatelves who are Queek's starting opponent in the Vortex campaign), and the AI still has no problem occupying areas it doesn't belong in, and then just sitting there like some inbred housecat as rebel stacks plink off it.

Yeah, it's certainly not a perfect solution and is ridiculously heavy-handed. I've started a new Empire game with it running alongside the Experimental Campaign AI mod; I'll post any interesting developments on whether it's working or not.

I really hope that CA does some drastic poo poo in the background to clear up the issue, whether through actual region trading or just straight-up putting behavioral locks on the AI when it comes to orange/red regions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've spent so long working on the technical "how the gently caress do I do that?" stuff that there's very little meat to my Eltharion mod.

He appears on the ME campaign map, functions in battles, has a custom starter army, a (mediocre) custom skill tree, custom trait, and the unique weapon ancillary at least sort of works.

If you use a popular faction unlocker his face appears on the character select scrollbar, and his name and the faction/lord effects are listed (not sure the starter units display is do-able, but I haven't even tried).

I built it on top of my Yvresse Province Overhaul mod which I kind of regret as the whole thing is now too large and complex for me to make complete sense of while I'm poking around. But his skills interact with custom units which interact with customised buildings which interact with the climate so maybe it's all worth it?

I haven't done his griffon mount yet (even though it already has its own branch on the skill tree) but once that's done I'll push out a buggy version and move on with my life.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, 30 turns in, I think can confirm that the "gently caress climates" mod does have a strong effect on whether factions will occupy or raze a wrong climate settlement, which is good. Unfortunately, neither it nor the Experimental Climate AI mod seem to dissuade factions from colonizing ruins of the wrong climate; in my game, a vassal Nordland has colonized and lost Grung Zint twice to Skullmasher rebels, and seems on track to keep doing so, which is bad. I don't have access to the game files but maybe the "colonize ruins" AI weighting does not consider climate, which could be the root of this problem (at least for this mod).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean I colonize bad climate settlements a lot to deny the ruins from enemies and also, even a little bit of income is income and you get bonus bucks from rebellions and you get sight.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

jokes posted:

I mean I colonize bad climate settlements a lot to deny the ruins from enemies and also, even a little bit of income is income and you get bonus bucks from rebellions and you get sight.

All factions should get a Wood Elf like Outpost option that gives no income but gives vision a small garrison and some +Faction Religion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Agreed. I just want to deny enemies the chance to settle unopposed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah but I'm running this with a mod that turbofucks red climates. If the author is thorough enough to make red settlements complete poo poo, I'd have thought he'd also go over the AI priorities on what to do when interacting with a red climate region.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I find it strange that the Empire starts out with a no attack treaty with the Vampire Counts as both factions are by design going to end up fighting before even the early game is over.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

I find it strange that the Empire starts out with a no attack treaty with the Vampire Counts as both factions are by design going to end up fighting before even the early game is over.

The Vampires are technically part of the empire so it's probably a lore thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah but I'm running this with a mod that turbofucks red climates. If the author is thorough enough to make red settlements complete poo poo, I'd have thought he'd also go over the AI priorities on what to do when interacting with a red climate region.

I think they do for everything but ruins colonization, and I don't know if they can. The climate AI mod I'm using seems to be pretty good when I watch them choose between sack/raze/occupy, but they still settle ruins seemingly regardless of climate.

As High Elves, what do Elven Colonies do and where are they besides Amheim?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MoreLikeTen posted:

I was having an excellent start as Pestilens in the vortex campaign, then it kind of went away from me. I kept pushing outwards to get more warpstone sites, but eventually i got too big and now food is killing me, even with food command on every province. I sent a fleet to go interrupt the elves, but when it landed, every settlement was red and I couldn't replenish the troops I lost. Tyrion just keeps pulling away in score, how is he doing it?

The answer to food with rats is:

Sometimes, you gotta eat your own.

In other words, start raiding small provinces so you can gain food, and as a side benefit it will spawn a rebel army. You pick a small province so that way, the rebels will spawn near your army. Beat them, collect food from them, enslave them for more food, and go back to raiding. An additional side benefit is to have a low loyalty lord do this, as the victories will make them more loyal.

In ME, it's helpful to know that the following factions have pastures to beeline to:
- Sentinels of Xenti (west of the mountains)
- Lothern (Ulthuan)

Ulthuan can actually be easier than it sounds, because Tyrion has a nasty habit of waging war on just about anything with a pulse and leaving Ulthuan relatively undefended. Sure, he may have a 20-stack patrolling but as rats you understand that quantity has a quality all its own - always fight an enemy with two stacks to their one. Just make sure you've got some Poison Wind Globadiers for his big bad monsters.

It's also helpful to make peace with the fact that Pastures will not sustain your empire. One fully-upgraded pasture will provide 5 food, but it will really be just 4 since you need 1 for each settlement (the settle with the pasture will take up 1 for itself). Moreover, there aren't enough Pastures near your starting location that will sustain a big empire (although the one west of Pestilens' starting location is pretty good in the beginning). What Pastures are good for is making it easier for you to break even/build a surplus - if you have a choice of who to wage war with, always pick the guy with Pastures.

Armies, however can sustain themselves. Raiding will always net 3 food, so if your armies are always raiding they can sustain themselves and two settlements. With enough armies raiding, you can build a surplus. Moreover, if they're raiding your own territories on the fringes they can sustain themselves and be ready to intercept possible enemies food.

Right now in my Pestilens ME campaign, I'm having a tough time making the decision to go after the Sentinels (who are in a Military Alliance with me and are providing a great screen against Mazdamundi, but have a Pasture ripe for the taking). My food stress right now more or less forces me to go sack and then raze Mazdamundi's towns rather than settle them, which will eventually cause me replenishment issues down the line as the no-man's-land increases.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xae posted:

All factions should get a Wood Elf like Outpost option that gives no income but gives vision a small garrison and some +Faction Religion.

This should actually be the only thing you can build in areas outside of your preferred climate. gently caress map painting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

They get bigger garrisons than normal settlements (including Ulthuan cities) and pop up in a lot of coastal areas (probably a lot more common on the vortex map).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I think they do for everything but ruins colonization, and I don't know if they can. The climate AI mod I'm using seems to be pretty good when I watch them choose between sack/raze/occupy, but they still settle ruins seemingly regardless of climate.

They boost income for every port in your empire and have big, big garrisons. There's one in Araby and other places to look for them at least as far as lore goes is Tilea, Estalia and Bretonnia.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NewMars posted:

They boost income for every port in your empire and have big, big garrisons. There's one in Araby and other places to look for them at least as far as lore goes is Tilea, Estalia and Bretonnia.

sassassin posted:

They get bigger garrisons than normal settlements (including Ulthuan cities) and pop up in a lot of coastal areas (probably a lot more common on the vortex map).
Nice, thanks. If those fucks from Tor Elasar beat me to Amheim I'm going to be mad at them now. I was hoping to use it as a jumping-off point for my reconquest of the other Vaul's Anvil and assorted surrounding lands.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

NewMars posted:

I would love for CA to include more weird hooks with special buildings. I've been reading the Warhammer Roleplaying reviews on the FATAL and Friends thread, and in the Bretonnia supplement they mention that Bastonne has this weird chasm that spawns giant frog monsters that are consistent enough in appearance and abilities that scholars are sure they aren't chaos spawn (link: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/night10194/warhammer-fantasy-knights-of-the-grail/#16). The reaction of the rest of the thread was "Wait, could that be a...Slaan spawning pool? :aaaaa:" My take-away was that I would love for there to be unique Lizardman building in Bretonnia of all places, because poo poo like that would make the open map interesting rather than just implementing a bad idea from fans.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
They really need to make treasure hunting better. It's a neat idea in theory but the problem is that the rewards aren't good enough, you can just save scum to get the good result, and it's rare you'll find ruins to actually explore since the AI can settle anywhere and snaps them up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Update on the climate mod: strangely enough, Nordland has now essentially turned Grung Zint and (my) Marienburg into a rebel farm, simply by keeping a bigass stack there. Every factor combining together to result in my usual strategy of making the act of keeping a stack on the mouth of the Reik to ward off Norscans profitable is pretty funny.

I have seen factions claim the occasional red settlement, only to lose them in short order to rebels or enemy action since doing so fucks them with a -100% replenishment penalty, It seems that we really do need definitive action from CA to sort this out, so here's hoping. As a bonus, Skyre is running a pain train on the Southern Realms, which blows my mind as this is the first time I've seen a Skaven clan really push their enemies' poo poo in.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

The answer to food with rats is:

use the +2 food province commandment you dingus

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

but i don't want to pay less taxes when i could have more doomwheels

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Mukip posted:

What faction are you playing as?

Dwarves, sorry!

But good advice for any faction would be welcome

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Still a net loss of one or two food per province (most of them anyway) and you take a hefty income hit to boot.

E:. I mean, you should still use it on most provinces, no question, but it won't solve everything.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 27, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

All skaven provinces should give food except your main recruitment province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
More of TWWI question, but it applies to all elven factions: what exactly are chaos supposed to do against them? Wood Elves will annihilate your monsters before they get anywhere nesr them, and they're fast enough to kite all of your infantry. Dark elves have a tier one arnor piercing ranged unit too so it's not like you can just get up in their face without half of your army already dead.
I'm thinking about rolling arounf with a stack if nothing but chaos knights and hellcannons, but I'll probably go bankrupt just in time for Orion to hunt me down.