Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Conall posted:

Just started playing. Is there any reason to get Morrowind before I'm max level?

If you want to play Morrowind before max level or play the Warden class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astns
Sep 4, 2011
Rather tempted to pick this up in the steam sale.

Is this an MMO where you need to reach max level to experience the 'meat' of the game or is there alot to do from the get go?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Astns posted:

Rather tempted to pick this up in the steam sale.

Is this an MMO where you need to reach max level to experience the 'meat' of the game or is there alot to do from the get go?

The game scales so levels don't matter so much except to get you more skills/passive abilities. You can go anywhere and fight. The world is open to all, essentially.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

You can even be an ultranerd and plan a "story arc" of zones and quests to fit with your character. Since everything scales to your level you can go wherever whenever and keep progressing.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So is there a way to earn transmute crystals that isn't painfully slow? I've done 3 HM pledges and I've gotten a whopping 1 crystal each time. Did I just have really bad RNG luck, or did they really make it take like 2-3 weeks of doing pledges to earn enough for a single transmute?

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 27, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Usually I get 2-3 for vet pledges, not sure if HM has something to do with it as well, I've got 2 and 3 for hardmode.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You get 5 from coffers when you complete a trial. Coffers reset after 7 days and if you hang out in Craglorn there is almost always pug's for nAA, nSO, and nHRC.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finished the Orsinium main quest and i have to say I'm impressed, really good little adventure. Definitely a bit more compelling than the tepid main quest has been so far.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Definitely a bit more compelling than the tepid main quest has been so far.

Does the main quest ever get more compelling than “Hey Vestige, get your rear end over here and teleport to <weird-rear end location> and bring back the <item/npc>!”?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Comrade Koba posted:

Does the main quest ever get more compelling than “Hey Vestige, get your rear end over here and teleport to <weird-rear end location> and bring back the <item/npc>!”?

No. Part of it is a consequence of being designed before One Tamriel. They had to make the questline fit into three separate factions and zones with level ranges, so the resulting questline revolves around teleporting to disconnected places. (The Fighter's Guild and Mages Guild questlines also do this.) One Tamriel makes this obsolete since all factions can go everywhere at any level. Now if they want to make new content, they can send all players to one location.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mizuti posted:

No. Part of it is a consequence of being designed before One Tamriel. They had to make the questline fit into three separate factions and zones with level ranges, so the resulting questline revolves around teleporting to disconnected places. (The Fighter's Guild and Mages Guild questlines also do this.) One Tamriel makes this obsolete since all factions can go everywhere at any level. Now if they want to make new content, they can send all players to one location.

Well, that's disappointing.
Then again, all I can think about when doing parts of the main quest is that the Prophet is voiced by the same guy who played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. I keep expecting him to teleport me to Azkaban or tell me to craft a Sorting Hat for the Mages Guild. :v:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

Well, that's disappointing.
Then again, all I can think about when doing parts of the main quest is that the Prophet is voiced by the same guy who played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. I keep expecting him to teleport me to Azkaban or tell me to craft a Sorting Hat for the Mages Guild. :v:

Oh that's why that voice was so familiar!

I enjoy the game very much so far, still hopping between Nightblade and Sorc because both are fun but I'll focus more on the mage now since I've reached daggerfall.

I was going to complain that the clothes/armor kinda look crappy but that seems to be only early on as I saw later sets and they look seriously cool. If anything I can just spend :10bux: and get the dremora mage appearance thingy - or 5000 poisons.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 27, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There are some near costumes you can get through gameplay. And then disguises too which go into your actual inventory.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm giving this a try, since it's $10 on sale and has no subscription. What should I know going in?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm giving this a try, since it's $10 on sale and has no subscription. What should I know going in?

Join a good ERP guild

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Join a good ERP guild
I figured that was implied.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

FactsAreUseless posted:

its good

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

There's a subscription. Not one you have* to take.

*Ask most folks in the goon guild and they'll say you have to take it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Basically all the classes can kind of do any of the roles but you're going to want to decide whether you want to hit things with weapons (stamina) or with spells (magicka), and put all your points from leveling up in either of those pools. Respecs are cheap though and you'll want to level up everything anyways as you're going up to 50.

PvE story content all scales up with your level so you can kind of just wander around as you see fit

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's an admin, and now I'm all intimidated.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Playing my fiancee's warden to try to get her some VMA weapons, holy poo poo how do people beat it as anything but sorcs. I think playing a sorc has made me stupidly lazy since I heal myself so easily.

Anyone have tipzz for mag warden in vma? skills etc, I used some random thing I found where a guy did a flawless run, so I figured it couldn't be that bad, then I hit the ice arena and god drat is that boss wrecking my poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Morter posted:

There's a subscription. Not one you have* to take.

*Ask most folks in the goon guild and they'll say you have to take it

I'm strongly considering it solely because of how hamstrung I feel with inventory control. That crafting bank is sooooooo handy and I miss it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

I'm strongly considering it solely because of how hamstrung I feel with inventory control. That crafting bank is sooooooo handy and I miss it.

I'm literally right there with you. Goddamn it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MF_James posted:

Playing my fiancee's warden to try to get her some VMA weapons, holy poo poo how do people beat it as anything but sorcsmageblades. I think playing a sorc has made me stupidly lazy since I heal myself so easily.

Anyone have tipzz for mag warden in vma? skills etc, I used some random thing I found where a guy did a flawless run, so I figured it couldn't be that bad, then I hit the ice arena and god drat is that boss wrecking my poo poo.

FTFY

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Sup, yet another goon here who got this game during Steam's Black Friday sale, ID is @The_Canuck. I've only got the base game so far, but I'm wondering if there's any DLC that would be considered essential?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Genthil posted:

Sup, yet another goon here who got this game during Steam's Black Friday sale, ID is @The_Canuck. I've only got the base game so far, but I'm wondering if there's any DLC that would be considered essential?

You get all the DLC but morrowind if you subscribe

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

I'm literally right there with you. Goddamn it.

I had no idea and suddenly the sub became much more worth it. Time to save crowns for a year to buy the Daggerfall castle house :v

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You get all the DLC but morrowind if you subscribe

Oh I know, but what I'm asking is if they're required or optional at best.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Genthil posted:

The new zones are cool in general and the writing is so much better than the base game. You don't need them, but they are a really welcome addition to the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Genthil posted:

Eh, I'd say it's very worth subscribing for as long as you're playing a lot, and subscriptions are on sale at the moment so I'd go for it. The new zones are great from what I've played - Orsinium is really good - and the handy extras like the crafting bag are a godsend

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I decided to grab a month's subscription for the DLC. How do I access it? It's still telling me I don't have the Imperial DLC, for instance.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I think it can take a bit to actually apply everything correctly (a few hours?) though it's been a while since I have had to deal with it.

So, depends on whcih DLC, but most of them have intro quests where people will send you a letter or whatever telling you to go to X. Wrothgar you get to by wagon in any major city (if I recall), same with craglorn, TG/DB I believe are via boat in major cities and clockwork city is something similar.

Usually an NPC runs up to you and hands you a letter or you get a letter somehow to start the intros.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, I guess I just need to wait for it to apply. Thanks!

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

MF_James posted:

I think it can take a bit to actually apply everything correctly (a few hours?) though it's been a while since I have had to deal with it.

So, depends on whcih DLC, but most of them have intro quests where people will send you a letter or whatever telling you to go to X. Wrothgar you get to by wagon in any major city (if I recall), same with craglorn, TG/DB I believe are via boat in major cities and clockwork city is something similar.

Usually an NPC runs up to you and hands you a letter or you get a letter somehow to start the intros.

just to add to the above: Wrothgar entry quest is from an orc lady by the name of Stuga that will run up to you when you visit Davon's Watch/Daggerfall/Vulkhel Guard. both the TG and DB questgivers can be found inside any outlaw's refuge, and Cockblock City is from a guy at the Mages Guild. IC questgiver is at your faction's HQ in Cyrodiil.

all of the above quests can also be started from your Collection menu (default U).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and subscriptions are on sale at the moment so I'd go for it.

Err what? Where? How?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I decided to grab a month's subscription for the DLC. How do I access it? It's still telling me I don't have the Imperial DLC, for instance.

If you mean the Imperial Edition that allows you to make an Imperial character, that's a separate thing still for whatever dumb reason and just not worth it. Roll Redguard instead if you wanted similar stats. The Imperial City DLC, however, is accessible by going into Cyrodiil and the riding to one of the entrances.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Morter posted:

Err what? Where? How?

Actually, I don't think they are. I said they were on sale in discord chat earlier, but that's probably just the usual discount they have for 3 and 6 month subscriptions.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you mean the Imperial DLC and not Imperial City DLC that's not included, its a separate account upgrade to unlock Imperials as a playable race

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Imperials are garbage as a race anyway, Argonians are the true tanks in this game :smug: :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scyantific posted:

Aight so Magicka Templar, like Magicka Nightblade, is one of those classes that can do very well with just its class skills and nothing else. And they can work wonders with them too. Self-Heals, Debuffs, Buffs, Sustain, they have it all (well except for a source of Major Sorcery).

Basics
  • Race Choice: Altmer, Breton, Dunmer, Argonian. In order of effectiveness. Some would rank Breton over Altmer but it's really up to personal choice. I have Dunmer, Breton, and Argonian magplars in my roster.
  • Attribute Dump: Magicka. Everything into Magicka.
  • Armor Specialization: Light Armor. Run two pieces of Heavy Armor if you want more survivability.
  • Mundus Stone: Thief; Thief + Shadow if running TBS (end-game only)

Levels 1-15
  • Grab the first skill in each of the Templar Skill lines, Puncturing Strikes, Rushed Ceremony, and Sun Fire. This will ensure that you level each of the class lines appropriately. Morph Puncturing Strikes into Puncturing Sweep, Rushed Ceremony into Breath of Life, and pick whatever morph of Sun Fire you find more appealing. I personally prefer Vampire's Bane since it means I can keep up that DoT longer and not have to worry about messing up my rotation.
  • Get two Swords and a Destruction Staff. Level the Destruction Staff line enough to get your hands on the Wall of Elements skill. After that, slap it on your skill bar and equip your swords. Leaving the Wall of Elements skill on your bar actively levels your Destruction Staff line while gaining XP. DO NOT purchase any of the active skills or passive skills in the Dual Wield line until it is at Rank 41. You will only need the Twin Blade and Blunt passive from that skill line and nothing more.
  • Level as many skills from all your class lines as possible. With the exception of Healing Ritual, Eclipse, and Sun Shield if you're not going the Blaztank route, they are all good.

At level 15, pick either Resto Staff, Destro Staff, or Sword and Shield to level up.

Eventually you're going to want your skills looking like this:
  • Puncturing Strikes -> Puncturing Sweep
  • Piercing Javelin -> Aurora Javelin
  • Focused Charge -> Explosive Charge
  • Spear Shards -> Blazing Spear
  • Sun Fire -> Reflective Light/Vampire's Bane
  • Solar Flare -> Dark Flare
  • Backlash -> Purifying Light
  • Radiant Destruction -> Radiant Glory
  • Rushed Ceremony -> Breath of Life
  • Restoring Aura -> Repentance
  • Cleansing Ritual -> Ritual of Retribution or Extended Ritual
  • Rune Focus -> Channeled Focus
  • Radial Sweep -> Crescent Sweep or Empowering Sweep
  • Nova -> Solar Prison
  • Rite of Passage -> Remembrance

So suppose I've been kinda following this and now I'm lv 28 except I never switched over to the two swords and stuck with destruction staff. Also I don't really use my staff skills, just my class attacks for the most part. I haven't morphed any of the staff skills yet because I didn't see them on the list up there. Seems like I'm ending up with more skill points than I can use on those suggested spells and morphs so I got some guild/craft abilities.

How bad am I loving up so far? Should I try to find some good swords fast? They don't seem to be showing up much as quest rewards so far.