Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Astonishing Wang posted:

That fit looks too good to be true in my opinion. That's the price you'd pay for a 95 civic in San Diego. I'm being a little hyperbolic but...

If it has 200k miles the price is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

If it has 200k miles the price is right.

Yeah but 200k miles on an 09 pretty much guarantees freeway miles

:stare:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Somewhat neither here nor there, but two years ago I bought an I4 MT '07 accord sedan with 225k for like $3k. Yeah, it took a lot of suspension bushings and ball joints and fluid swaps to get it feeling solid, but it's at 275k now and well on its way to 300. Its an ex-l so heat seaters and a sunroof too. It burns a bit of oil as well, maybe a quart every 1500 miles- I think it's the valve stem seals, not sure if I want to dive in after it as long as the cat stays breathing.

The timing chain in the k series really tosses the Honda maintenance inverals on their head.

These cars are starting to show up in pick and pull lots, so suspension bushings aren't so bad- buy an LCA for $15, swap bushings and then swap the arm wholesale. Even goofball interior parts are easy enough to locate.

E: for what it's worth, the ad was the most autistic I've ever seen, which is how I knew it was the one. For a car living south of Syracuse and working on the north side (salted winter roads ++) it had about ZERO rust. A rolling stone gathers no moss? :iiam:

Nothing special, but the MT keeps it interesting enough. This car owes me nothing.

glyph fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 27, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I found a floof

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My neighbor moved away and took his two porch dogs and the kitty kat :(

Please pet that floof for me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The floof is highly skeptical

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The floof needs an offering. I suggest sardines, but tuna in oil will do.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Sometimes it's not worth the risk, but sometimes it is.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The floof has hesitantly accepted a bribe of hand shredded rotisserie chicken breast

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Now do that for another month and you may get to touch the floof. Just sit a bit closer every time.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Does the floof have a clipped ear?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Leperflesh posted:

Now do that for another month and you may get to touch the floof. Just sit a bit closer every time.

At which point, fleas.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, I know about Delaware (I have never met a human person who admits to being from there, pretty sure the whole state is just banks) and that it's a real major-player bank, the name just amused me.

I'm from Delaware. Confirming the existence of buildings full of cubicles that just have a phone and a desk

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

glyph posted:

Does the floof have a clipped ear?

Negative

The Locator posted:

At which point, fleas.

Like theres any unclaimed skin left to bite

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
08 Fit versus 08 Mazda 3 Sport 2.3 hatch MT for the same price, thoughts?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

08 Fit versus 08 Mazda 3 Sport 2.3 hatch MT for the same price, thoughts?

I'd jump at the 3, but it's going to be your car. Buy what you want.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You guys have way more niche manufacturer knowlege and i will only have an opportunity like this once, i dont want to be impulsive and gently caress it up. I need to weigh things very carefully

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Are you still planning on Colorado?

I'm in Texas and I have zero firsthand knowledge but everything I hear about older Mazdas is that they rust like.... things that rust really badly when exposed to road salt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

You guys have way more niche manufacturer knowlege and i will only have an opportunity like this once, i dont want to be impulsive and gently caress it up. I need to weigh things very carefully

Serious question that might help:

What do you actually want the car for?

I mean I think some of us have some idea, but like... is this your car to get around in FL and then in Denver? A commute/work vehicle to help you land a job? In other words, something reliable to help you build a useful working life for the next few years, or... just a stopgap thing to get you to Denver by next Spring and that's it? Do you want to be sleeping in this car, do you want to haul a trailer, do you want to be able to park in sketchy neighborhoods and not get broken into, do you want to not be targeted as rolling probable cause by the cops?

Do you want to take a non-rusty car from FL to CO and then be able to sell it for as much or more than what you paid in the first place?

Do you need fuel efficiency, because this is your long-distance commute/road trip wanderin' car, or is that unimportant because aside from one drive from FL to CO, you'll likely just be doing short-distance city driving anyway?

You're shopping for very very used vehicles. If your main top criteria are reliability and price, then condition matters way more than make, model, year, miles. I mean obviously a biturbo in "good condition" is not the same as a Fit in "good condition" but you know what I mean.

Figure out and prioritize your real actual criteria and then really it comes down to listing specific vehicles from Craigslist and folks can tell you whether that specific make/model/year combo has known problems or not.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yes and good point.

:siren: FLOOFBOWL IS EMPTY :siren:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, in the land of ice and snow those Mazdas rust quickly and aggressively, my money is on the Fit being the better, well, fit.

Plus those little mosquitos are pretty fun to drive I hear.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Current criteria is a smaller fuel efficient cheap to repair cockroach car to hold onto for the forseeable future and for when funds get tight again. I've been monitoring the Colorado used car market and it is loving *dire*. The Fit seemed to offer the most flexibility and best overall value with regards to lifetime service costs, but I have also heard many good things about the 3. A wagon offers more utility than a coupe, a manual more fun in a penalty box on wheels, but a coupe takes priority over a boring sedan. Best shape/fuel mileage/operating costs/bulletproof commuters. I dont have the time or the resources to gamble on a weekly headache.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah I’d definitely go for the Fit. At that age the Mazda is ripe for something expensive to go wrong. I don’t have any specific knowledge on what problems those cars have so I’m probably just talking out of my rear end, but someone here definitely knows way too much about them.

More importantly, PET DAT CATTE. we need pictures of cuteness stat!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

For the rusting issues alone I'd stay away from the Mazda unless you plan on staying in Florida. Mazda 3's are renowned for their rusting abilities.

Plus the crazy way the rear seats move in the Fit, I'd bet you could fit just as much poo poo as a 3 wagon, I'd go for the Fit.

Get Sims to check that out asap.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Post the ad for the mazda fool.

Also, fit is the better choice for overall reliability and rustproofing. Mazda for a bit more room and overall fun imo. I'd choose the mazda, but I have a bit of stockholm syndrome from this 6 wagon in my driveway. Or maybe its just the burned transmission fluid fumes loving my brain up. :v:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

glyph posted:

Somewhat neither here nor there, but two years ago I bought an I4 MT '07 accord sedan with 225k for like $3k. Yeah, it took a lot of suspension bushings and ball joints and fluid swaps to get it feeling solid, but it's at 275k now and well on its way to 300. Its an ex-l so heat seaters and a sunroof too.

Dude we're car twins, same exact trim/features.

It's not an exciting car, but it's an absurdly reliable one.

What color is yours?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

`Nemesis posted:

What color is yours?

We're about to see some real Tyler Durden poo poo here.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Also, the fit is likely the last car to get pulled over, which might be useful.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
As the previous owner of that era MT Fit, I'll have to vote for it.

They're like Proxy Paige. They're attractive and cute, but you're not 100% sure why. And you're always surprised by how much odd stuff fits in the rear.

fake edit: It's a chain-drive SOHC Honda motor. It's not the most powerful, but you know the Japanese implemented the rev limiter for a reason, so you can drive it like a complete rear end and feel like a hero, but it's only doing the speed limit, and still getting 30+ mpg. With snow tires you could very easily 24/7/365 that anywhere in the world where ground clearance didn't gently caress you over.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The ICE on the 1st gen Mazda 3s is dogshit. The 08 at least gets an Aux in (maybe), but the Bose system is trash and the Ford one is worse.

The 2.3 is a nice motor though. The Ecoboost is a distant descendant of the same block, and they seem to survive being mistreated fairly well. Mileage isn't impressive on those cars though, the Fit will tear strips off of it in that dept.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Mazda 3's rust like crazy until more recent model years, I wouldn't gently caress with them without research into that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As someone who got tired of Hondas a long time ago...

I'm gonna vote for the Fit. They're seriously useful, get great mileage, and tossing them around is pretty fun. They're on the short list for my next car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 27, 2017

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
dont get a mazda 3 they rust like a motherfucker even down under.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just buy the Fit. You can always buy a project door to slam your dick in once you're resettled.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Just buy the Fit. You can always buy a project door to slam your dick in once you're resettled.

This. You can F20 swap the Fit later when you get a regular job that doesn't involve cars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DICK DICER posted:

Current criteria is a smaller fuel efficient cheap to repair cockroach car to hold onto for the forseeable future and for when funds get tight again. I've been monitoring the Colorado used car market and it is loving *dire*. The Fit seemed to offer the most flexibility and best overall value with regards to lifetime service costs, but I have also heard many good things about the 3. A wagon offers more utility than a coupe, a manual more fun in a penalty box on wheels, but a coupe takes priority over a boring sedan. Best shape/fuel mileage/operating costs/bulletproof commuters. I dont have the time or the resources to gamble on a weekly headache.

The wagon's probably a good call. In your position I'd probably be looking for that or a 4cyl S10 or Ranger, so I could put my bike and gear in the back and still get about the same mileage as a sedan.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sounds like y'all have it covered, but I agree with the Fit consensus. I like Mazda and all....but I don't see nearly as many on the road as older Hondas. That ZOOM ZOOM comes at a price.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

angryrobots posted:

Sounds like y'all have it covered, but I agree with the Fit consensus. I like Mazda and all....but I don't see nearly as many on the road as older Hondas. That ZOOM ZOOM comes at a price.

Ford aren't exactly known for building durable small cars anymore. At least the Mazda interiors don't look like they were designed for a 5 year old to operate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

antimatt posted:

They're like Proxy Paige. They're attractive and cute, but you're not 100% sure why. And you're always surprised by how much odd stuff fits in the rear.

Welp, now I know what I’m doing with my afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

What color is yours?

Whatever this maroon is called. Moroccan red pearl? This picture is from the week after I bought it. That's a $3k car.

Its actually the second one of these. I had an '03 that I had JUST swapped all the suspension bushings on when I got t-boned by some dipshit who didn't think red lights applied to him. I didn't want to lean a second cars idiosyncrasies and my roof rack swapped right over, soooooo...

smashed up the grey one, bought me a red...

Seems I only have pictures of either of these cars that Instagram has had a hand in. Welp.

• Locked thread