Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

http://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
Crashes as soon as I choose a map on my crapple mac :cry:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ivy posted:

Crashes as soon as I choose a map on my crapple mac :cry:
What did the crash say? I'll get it to them quickly

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well, poo poo. Still 5 hours until I'm done with Work. :(

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

drat, they amped the soundtrack up quite a bit.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Good end

That's what happens when you play with cataclysm mode and the horrors destroy all the thrones.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

That is why you don't kill off all of the dragons folks.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
There will be some epic catalysm games, where the two leading nations reluctantly put aside their differences to fight off the horrors, then one of them backstabs the other, but overestimates their power and the world ends up being conquered by horrors anyway.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Incidentally if you run the game without thrones on as a conquer all game with cataclysm, you can pretty much just have a NewGame+ Dominions Experience where on a certain turn unrest will start to rise, AC will go up, and commanders will be marked and, eventually, eaten (including indeps)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I... I bought it. It's my first Dominions.

Now I can learn how to die horribly in multiplayer. I wonder if the manual is worth reading this time or very wrong.

Edit: What's the best way to learn? One AI game to figure out the actual commands and then dive straight into MP?

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 27, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Culka posted:

Good end

That's what happens when you play with cataclysm mode and the horrors destroy all the thrones.

That's what regularly happens to the world in the pen-and-paper RPG Earthdawn! I love it! :allears:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Prism posted:

Now I can learn how to die horribly in multiplayer. I wonder if the manual is worth reading this time or very wrong.

Edit: What's the best way to learn? One AI game to figure out the actual commands and then dive straight into MP?

I would play 4-5 games against AI before MP, but that's me. You have to understand that MP games are long as hell, so it isn't like a FPS where you can play a few rounds to learn as you play.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i dunno if it's an intended nerf or not but lanka's prophet doesn't get free undead leadership anymore which makes expanding with them kind of annoying.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Turin Turambar posted:

I would play 4-5 games against AI before MP, but that's me. You have to understand that MP games are long as hell, so it isn't like a FPS where you can play a few rounds to learn as you play.

I do indeed understand that MP games are long as hell; I just expect to lose any I'm in early on.

I'll start up a single-player game tonight. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

be sure to do noting but build niefel jarls for the first 20 turns

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Prism posted:

I do indeed understand that MP games are long as hell; I just expect to lose any I'm in early on.

I'll start up a single-player game tonight. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Of course, given how slow are usually MP games (1 turn per 48 hours, for example), you can well play SP between MP turns and learn that way.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 27, 2017

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Turin Turambar posted:

Of course, given how slow are usually MP games (1 turn per 48 hours, for example), you can well play SP between SP turns and learn that way.

sure but, you have to make a whole lot of decisions before the game starts and if you gently caress around in single player for 4 hours between turn 1 and turn 2 of a mp game you will probably want to kill yourself for making such an insanely bad pretender

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

violent sex idiot posted:

sure but, you have to make a whole lot of decisions before the game starts and if you gently caress around in single player for 4 hours between turn 1 and turn 2 of a mp game you will probably want to kill yourself for making such an insanely bad pretender

That's going to happen anyway.

The manual isn't complete yet, either (lol), and doesn't include stuff like 'a section on what each nation does', though you better believe it has a section on what inspired them to make every nation.

edit: No, it does have them... scattered in the other pages as footers. Immediately between the sections on how the RNG works and Interface is the description of Ragha, for instance. Is there a list of nations and their general gimmick sitting around anywhere, even for Dom4? Most of them will be the same in concept if not in execution, I assume.

double edit: lol the manual's title is Microsoft Word - Dom5_manual.doc. I think I'll look for info elsewhere. Suggestions welcome.

vvvvv: not well.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2017

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Prism posted:

There was a collaborative project to rewrite the manual for the new version. Guess how well that worked.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's probably called what it's called because it's a work in progress by IW, idk though

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jBrereton posted:

It's probably called what it's called because it's a work in progress by IW, idk though

Oh, I know, it's just funny. I have other reasons to look elsewhere for info, mostly because the info I want is not in the manual.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
What info would you specifically like?

There is an FAQ on steam but it's fairly useless atm.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Have we got a Steam group for this?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jBrereton posted:

What info would you specifically like?

There is an FAQ on steam but it's fairly useless atm.

A brief description of each nation would be nice so I know what I'm jumping into. It doesn't have to be extensive. Something like 'Early Age Caelum: Zoroastrian winged humanoids. Lots of lightning magic and flying infantry, but expensive and fragile.' (I don't know if that is accurate, I pulled it out of my rear end out of a half-remembered description of Caelum.)

Instead, the description of Caelum I have reads

Manual posted:

Caelum was originally a purely fictional nation of winged humanoids living atop the coldest mountain peaks. Later development has gifted them with Zoroastrian traits. The background of the Bandar Log and the Eagle Kings made the early Caelian history self-evident and a lot more interesting. The Yazatas, and the Spentas in particular, are Zoroastrian in origin, but the Caelian society at large is not.

which doesn't really tell me much about them in the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Could have sworn that I heard there was a way to move multiple commanders on the formation planning map at once.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Could have sworn that I heard there was a way to move multiple commanders on the formation planning map at once.

What there is a way to select any commander / suqad in the formation planning map, with right click, without the need to go back to the previous Army Setup screen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Turin Turambar posted:

What there is a way to select any commander / suqad in the formation planning map, with right click, without the need to go back to the previous Army Setup screen.

that's definitely an improvement

I was hoping there was a way to tell all my sauromancers to reposition in a giant blob at once though

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I wish you could see the units before committing to which army you're choosing. You should also be able to go back and look at the units as you're creating your pretender god.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I wish you could see the units before committing to which army you're choosing. You should also be able to go back and look at the units as you're creating your pretender god.

At least now the units appear when you select a nation, before you had to do test games or look on Internet (Dom4 Inspector)

Absum
May 28, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Assuming you're talking about Dom5 you can do the latter at least. Not in 4 though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

What determines whether you can build a non-garbage fort in a province?

edit oh I see, you can upgrade it after building

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone else having an issue launching dom5 on a mac?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Absum posted:

Assuming you're talking about Dom5 you can do the latter at least.

Oh nice. I missed that somehow.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prism posted:

A brief description of each nation would be nice so I know what I'm jumping into
EA:

Arco - Greeks, in communions
Ermor - it's rome, fire, death and astral
Ulm - conans, earth
Marv - gauls, earth + astral
Sauro - scythians, death magic, can blood sac but priests are shite
TC - spring + autumn china. Mages variable.
Machaka - animals + tribal troops. Good at death, fire, and earth, some nature.
Mictlan - aztecs. Superseded somewhat by xibalba.
Abysia - lava guys
Caelum - flying air mages
Ctis - egypt, but it's lizards. Death magic mostly.
Pangaea - tryhard centaur faction. Like forests. Earth, Nature, Blood, Water, steals/assassinates enemy mages.
Agartha - cave goons. Good at busting forts.
TNN - celtic elves. Cast spells slower but less fatigue.
Fomoria - wonky giants + elves. Good as heck. Lots of air + death, can sail.
Vanheim - elves. Really good sacreds. Research not good before quills.
Helheim - as above but the sacreds are more expensive but cav/fliers. Has death magic.
Niefelheim - giants. Like the cold. Not heat. Some Astral. Skrattir are guys, then werewolves, then a wolf.
Rus - ulms but russian, and in a forest. Get extra wizards in a cave for some reason.
Kailasa - virtuous monkey faction. Also divine beings with innate awe but little armour in the main.
Lanka - perfidious monkey faction. Also demons and the undead, which they can raise with their national priests.
Yomi - demon faction. Bad research output due to bad forts + poor income. Needs help.
Hinnom - giants that are very good at one kind of magic. Put them in a province by themselves so they can eat it to 0 people in peace. Comedy giant donkey chariots.
Ur - not quite giants. Not fond of hats. Make sure to get a king + queen of the city. Lots of out of cap recruitment, including underwater. Losing your god is p much fine with these guys.
Berytos - hinnom but pathetic humans instead of giants. Theoretically good late, typically run over because they're theoretically good late, but humans.
Xibalba - bat faction that's really good even after changes to flying alpha strikes. Access to p much all magic, cheaply. Access to more bats in forests and so on.
Atlantis - underwater faction that cannot buy a mage on land and is bad vs magic resist spells. Avoid.
R'lyeh - underwater faction that cannot get a mage onto land because they can't make an amulet of the fish. Avoid.
Pelagia - Mermen. Basically acceptable and almost a good faction for humans but tragically an UW faction. Avoid.
Oceania - Pan but UW, with a slimmer roster, and worse. Avoid.
Therodos - Ghosts, underwater. Can make a mage on land. Sacreds dance so much they can't form a formation right. Avoid.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Someone who is not me cannibalize this thread and make a new one for dom5.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
drat the new music sounds loving terrible. It's like someone is playing it to me through a pair of broken $1 headphones.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I can see a couple I want to try out immediately. Thank you!

Is EA the most common age used in MP games?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prism posted:

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I can see a couple I want to try out immediately. Thank you!

Is EA the most common age used in MP games?
Certainly used to be.

e: MA:

Arco - Greeks, in communions
Ermor - Skeletons. Kill pop, a lot. Usually banned.
Sceleria - Skeletons but also people. Sometimes tolerated.
Pythium - Byzantium but with lightning magic (not historical)
Marignon - Spanish Inqusition
Ulm - Armoured guys. Lot of earth + something else magic. Mostly fire. Not big on sacreds.
TC - Three Kingdoms china. Lot of nerds in a communion.
Machaka - Spiders + tribal troops. Pretty bad. Lot of nature magic with fire and earth and death.
Mictlan - Aztecs. Actually better than Xibalba this era.
Abysia - Lava guys but they send horrors now.
Caelum - Flying air mages but they can't make a fort if it's warm.
Ctis - Tryhard egypt faction. Makes people very ill to invade and has an income boost.
Pangaea - Tryhard centaur faction. Like forests. Earth, Nature, Blood, Water, steals/assassinates enemy mages.
Asphodel - Undead Centaur faction that runs out of centaur recruitment points really fast + is thus quite bad.
Agartha - Cave goons but also people. Have animé figurines now (less dangerous since they can't regen in dom 5).
Man - It's Britain. Longbows, witches (but not the death magic sort).
Eriu - It's Ireland. Tiny unit roster. Mediocre if annoying to fight.
Vanheim - It's p much Helheim from before but now their horses are white.
Jotunheim - Moose. Skrattir are guys, then werewolves, then a wolf still.
Vanarus - Like Vanheim but with more magic and worse sacreds. About a billion slavic folklore summons.
Bandar Log - monkey faction that can be virtuous or perfidious depending on if you give your god Blood. Tends towards perfidy.
Shinuyama - Goblins. Pretty bad in general.
Ashdod - Giants. Sacreds are hench. Really good undead commanders/mages called Ditanim. Alright.
Uruk - Not quite giants. They like hats now. Their temples are a bit expensive but their basic fort is 750 gold for 2 com points (nice).
Nazca - Extremely unionised Mayan priest faction. Some of it flies. They have expensive royals of low value but great splendour, like here (the UK).
Xibalba - Atrocious frog faction that hides a bat faction underneath. Not many demons.
Atlantis - underwater faction that can now get a mage on land and has a cheaper mage UW than in dom 4. Avoid.
R'lyeh - Illithid faction. Avoid.
Pelagia - Mermen. Basically acceptable and almost a good faction, for humans, but tragically an UW faction. Avoid.
Oceania - Pan but UW, with a slimmer roster, and worse. Avoid.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jBrereton posted:

Certainly used to be.

Any particular reason? Increased magic, better nation designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Prism posted:

Any particular reason? Increased magic, better nation designs?

EA enables memebless by nature of the extremely powerful sacreds that are prevalent there.

• Locked thread