Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

maxallen posted:

But why is my question - especially for the Browns, when Schiano has an NFL record (and it sucks)

I would say Haslam is completely incompetent and that’s a good why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
He can not be a great coach and still not deserved to be witch hunted on the back of some flimsy hearsay.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Sir Thats Gross posted:

gently caress Haslam. Also, to crate dig on some Haslam hate - gently caress him and his Webb School attending rear end. Canceling the Catholic-Webb football game was a bitch move. (Go Irish)

gently caress Webb

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I would say Haslam is completely incompetent and that’s a good why.

I’m just curious what his justification is. Because Schiano has a history as a disciplinarian or what?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sumlin is not the coach to win a natty with. A&M's problem is that they think they should be a Top X program every year despite not winning poo poo ever. And Johnny Football is not a generational talent c'mon. He was bailed out by Mike Evans every other pass attempt.

If you want to make the (objectively false) "Johnny Football wasn't that great" case, a much stronger place to start would be his ridiculous 2012 offensive line that had four first-rounders on it.

I also agree that A&M fans have unreasonable expectations, but I don't think it's asking too much that maybe we should have at least a top 25 finish somewhere in the past four years. Just because they're wrong about most things doesn't mean they were wrong to want to move on from Sumlin.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 27, 2017

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Looks like Tennessee fans have moved on from Chris Petersen already
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/935149249846706176

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/934993190574227456

Well so much for that option.

There's also this:

quote:

Rutgers: Head coach Chris Ash and Rutgers signed an updated five-year contract taking him through the 2022 season before their season finale against Michigan State over the weekend, per a report from NJ Advance Media. Ash’s salary terms remain unchanged and he will make $2.2 million in 2018. The report adds that Ash coached the first two seasons on a signed Memorandum of Agreement while NCAA sanctions were hovering over the program, so this represents his first official contract.

Coaching on MOUs for a year or so isn't entirely unheard of but 2 whole years is a new one on me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Tennessee disaster started right before I went go trail run yesterday. During the run idiot me couldn't stop checking twitter and this thread, so I ended up falling real bad around 3.5 miles. My left hand (which I caught myself with) can barely close (it hurts to type this).

I will officially say yesterday was the most insane day. It even beats Kiffin leaving. Someone could write a book about the last 10 years at Tennessee (including Pearl and the Lady Vols), and most would consider it fiction.

I don't think he ever was an option. Tennessee doesn't want to buy his ridiculous buyout after paying Jones.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 27, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah odds are Campbell is staying at Iowa State for at least another year.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

SourKraut posted:

12 hours later and I’m still pissed that ASU fired Todd Graham. gently caress Ray Anderson and Michael Crow.

I don't think Graham should have been fired, but it makes sense for what they want from the program. His ceiling is about 10 wins, and he won't be consistent. The program is trending up though so do you fire him now or next year when they finish with 7-9 wins? If he isn't the guy you want and the buyout doesn't scare you then now is the best time to dump him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rice fired David Bailiff

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm assuming Tennessee has some sort of FOIA deal going, so it'd be interesting to make a FOIA request on any and all communications from the athletic department about Schiano after it is all said and done, just to see what sort of a shitshow this is internally

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if Tennessee had kind of a collective coaching system where all the players took votes on what plays to run, with different seniors being in charge of various other administrative and recruiting aspects of the program from month to month, as elected by the players. Just grab someone from the history department to sign off on poo poo for legal purposes. I'm talking a real camp nowhere/accepted type situation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rice fired David Bailiff

They were pretty bad this year, even for Rice. Their win total since 2014 went from 7 to 5 to 3 to 1.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

They were pretty bad this year, even for Rice. Their win total since 2014 went from 7 to 5 to 3 to 1.

It’s time for Todd Graham to Come Home

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol 1 day ago Tennessee tried to commit PR suicide and we all got to watch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm assuming Tennessee has some sort of FOIA deal going, so it'd be interesting to make a FOIA request on any and all communications from the athletic department about Schiano after it is all said and done, just to see what sort of a shitshow this is internally

I can sort of sympathize with them not seeing this coming. Schiano was a high profile assistant when the McQueary testimony was unsealed last year and it was seemingly met with shrug and quickly forgotten.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if Tennessee had kind of a collective coaching system where all the players took votes on what plays to run, with different seniors being in charge of various other administrative and recruiting aspects of the program from month to month, as elected by the players. Just grab someone from the history department to sign off on poo poo for legal purposes. I'm talking a real camp nowhere/accepted type situation.

Guarantano sitting on the sideline with an Xbox running Madden. Just runs Ask Madden before every series

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lol 1 day ago Tennessee tried to commit PR suicide and we all got to watch

I think Tennessee (the fans at least) won the battle yesterday, but in end this battle will cost them the war.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Guarantano sitting on the sideline with an Xbox running Madden. Just runs Ask Madden before every series

Check out his twitter likes. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up transferring. He was a big Rutgers fan (his dad played for them).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rice fired David Bailiff

:rip: I remember when they won CUSA

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah odds are Campbell is staying at Iowa State for at least another year.

Not saying I think this will happen but it’ll really suck for him if they go back to being Iowa State next year

nate fisher posted:

The new rumor is Tennessee has reached out to Tee Martin and Jeff Brohm.

You know the smart play would of been to hire Cut and put Tee Martin as coach in waiting. If they do hire Tee Martin he will need an experienced staff. I could see them reaching out to Chavis for DC.

Cutcliff has a good job, unless he’s really eager to retire I don’t know why he’d agree to this

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 27, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Cutcliff has a good job, unless he’s really eager to retire I don’t know why he’d agree to this just to do this.

I feel like we've reached out to him in the past and he's turned it down (or maybe it was the other way around) but yeah I can't imagine it happening unless he sees himself retiring in the next couple years.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

nate fisher posted:

The national media is bashing Tennessee fans, while local media is like fans did the right thing. The only person in the national media not bashing the fans is Andy Staples (who use to live in Knoxville).

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/27/greg-schiano-tennessee-coach-protest-penn-state

I'd at least like to believe that it's because you have to cover the allegations of covering up child sex abuse with stuff about 'double hearsay' and whatnot, or else you're the target of a libel lawsuit. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if they're afraid of opening themselves up to something like that by giving Tennessee fans a pass for protesting a hire based on relatively weak allegations. It's a lot easier to say "well Tenn fans hated this coach so they covered themselves by claiming this" or just ignoring the Sandusky allegations.

I'd like to believe that. Unfortunately yeah they're probably all in the sports bubble and ignoring the fact that that poo poo is loving serious and toxic and needs to be kept under Yucca Mountain.

E: That SI article is really good

maxallen fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 27, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The real question is who told Trumpist the propaganda minister Sarah Sanders to smear Schiano.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Not saying I think this will happen but it’ll really suck for him if they go back to being Iowa State next year

Their schedule really doesn't look bad for next year, especially the 2nd half. It seemed like they did well this year in spite of a ton of injuries too, so I can't imagine they regress too hard.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

maxallen posted:

gently caress Webb

An opinion all Knoxville, especially private school Knoxville, goons can agree upon.

Didn’t we reach out to Cutcliffe in 2012? Or did I make that up?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Florida hired Dan Mullen I guess. Didn't hear much about that possibility.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
This feels like a really underwhelming hire tbh.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

nate fisher posted:

The national media is bashing Tennessee fans, while local media is like fans did the right thing. The only person in the national media not bashing the fans is Andy Staples (who use to live in Knoxville).

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/27/greg-schiano-tennessee-coach-protest-penn-state

Andy Staples is hands down the best journalist left in college sports. He's the only one I've worked with that actually knows the business end of things and understands the nuances of the fanbases, and how those two factors have to be managed to be successful. Ergo, his takes on things are genuinely insightful. Meanwhile, literally every other national media person, save for Marty Smith at ESPN (he also gets it), tries to treat college like the NFL in terms of coaching hires and program character. Almost too much like a business instead of a reflection of the program itself, if that makes any sense.

But this mess at Tennessee is without precedent. At the end of the day, hiring a coach needs to be as much about finding someone with a good plan for success, as much as a marketing ploy to find someone fans will actually support, leading to tickets, merchandise and licensing sales. The AD there properly hosed this up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

Florida didn't need a big splashy hire. At this point they need someone who can right the ship and give them an actual semblance of an offense for the first time in years. Mullen can give them that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

The real question is who told Trumpist the propaganda minister Sarah Sanders to smear Schiano.

Clearly a long con to free up Schiano for Arkansas.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Reports of Bucs OC Todd Monken to Mississippi State. Seems like a good hire for them.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A lot of people (myself included) are still holding our breath for now, but general consensus is that unless he publicly commits to UCF in the next couple of days, Frost is coming to Lincoln.

Probably stating the obvious here but ^:)^ If for some reason he has a change of heart, yeah, it sounds like Campbell would be at the top of the list.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

angryrobots posted:

:v:

https://twitter.com/gsmitter/status/921816873511149569?s=17

I mean you'll get that almost everywhere, and definitely at A&M....but maybe Jimbo sees FSU having a couple rebuilding years, and fears the seat could get hot? The ACC has become a more difficult place to play, and he can't easily run the table like did in his first few years.

To be fair, that fan rules

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

an adult beverage posted:

Reports of Bucs OC Todd Monken to Mississippi State. Seems like a good hire for them.

I can't remember if there were any circumstances RE: his departure from Hattiesburg.

Whatever happened to Hagetaka, our resident Southern Miss goon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zimbomonkey posted:

He was one of the first names everyone brought up when the job opened so I dunno how you never heard the possibility. And go look at what Mississippi St. was before he got there.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
Stephen A Smith is having an aneurysm on air talking about Schiano and Tennessee. It’s a similar narrative I’ve read other places of “y’all ruined a man of good character’s reputation with this debacle.” The pandering to coaches by national sports media really knows no bounds. It’s part of the business, I guess.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

zimbomonkey posted:

Pretty sure it's actually one of the most sensible hires of the last five years.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

UCF should line up Brandon Marshall as Scott Frost’s inevitable replacement ASAP.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zimbomonkey posted:

Nah. Most programs would kill for Mullen and they’ve been very productive with lesser talent. Dude can coach QBs too.

I’d never guarantee anything, but this is the closest thing to guaranteed offensive production outside of Chip Kelly.

And he’s loving young too. Potentially great long term hire.

It isn’t splashy, but I’m jacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

didn't greg schiano bully grown adults into contracting MRSA?

• Locked thread