Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Imagine that, but slightly fewer death camps, and no famine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Right, the worst thing about people like Bernie and Keith Ellison is that they are too respectful of their opponents, in a naive way. The opposition, including Democrats themselves, will not shy away from using every dirty trick to undermine them, they need to get over the idea of being civil.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only one I don't agree with being goon-hyperboled is the anime one. No, not all anime is made for/watched by pedos, but there sure is a hell of a lot of it aimed directly at people who want to gently caress little girls/boys. The ones that do aren't even subtle about it. They know who their audience is and it's not japanese children.

I mean Japan is hosed up and weird but I literally just heard this song on WXPN radio yesterday played straight like it wasn’t terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lfj4Gf_No

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aramek posted:

Trump is bad because his policies are bad, not because of the way he acts.

I mean, he's a dumbass who constantly does stupid poo poo, but way too many people are upset that he's mean, or rude, instead of being mad at what he's being rude/mean about.

I think a strong pro-government Leftist that's really really good at bullying would own.

No I’m pretty sure his compulsive lying, attempts to antagonize people who want to nuke us, bullying of private citizens on twitter, and sexual assaulting all fall under actions that make him a horrible president unrelated to his appalling policies. “Rude” does not begin to describe the way he acts.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean Japan is hosed up and weird but I literally just heard this song on WXPN radio yesterday played straight like it wasn’t terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lfj4Gf_No
don't forget this pop-rock classic!

My Sharona posted:

Ooh, my little pretty one, my pretty one
When you gonna give me some time, Sharona
Ooh, you make my motor run, my motor run
Got it coming off o' the line, Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind
I always get it up, for the touch of the younger kind
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my Sharona

:froggonk:

my unpopular opinion is that they should probably stop playing this song on the radio, even though it's got a classic beat

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aramek posted:

Imagine that, but slightly fewer death camps, and no famine.

Fine, but you won't get the gorgeous hair and chizzled features.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I actually really like this, thanks Jerry! :kiddo:

e: also the Nirvana cover sucks and Midge Ure's is good but not as good as Bowie's

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
We regret to inform you Bowie had coke orgies with 14 year old groupies. :(

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Death of the author, maaan

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Milkshake duck, saved by literary theory. :goshawk:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll manage to ruin popular music for someone someday

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nah, I actually believe in death of the author. It helps though, to never look up information in the first place and just listen to the songs or read the work.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

don't forget this pop-rock classic!

:froggonk:

my unpopular opinion is that they should probably stop playing this song on the radio, even though it's got a classic beat

I mean, questionable, but if you listen to the song I posted it's literally "I will rape this underage girl, who her mother is worrying about, if she doesn't leave fast enough"

quote:

Young girl, get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run, girl
You're much too young, girl

With all the charms of a woman
You've kept the secret of your youth
You led me to believe
You're old enough to give me Love
And now it hurts to know the truth, oh

Better run, girl

Beneath your perfume and make-up
You're just a baby in disguise
And though you know
That it is wrong to be alone with me
That come on look is in your eyes, oh

Better run, girl

So hurry home to your mama
I'm sure she wonders where you are
Get out of here before I have the time
To change my mind
'Cause I'm afraid we'll go too far, oh

Better run, girl

Better run, girl

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Nov 26, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Do what I do: don't feel bad about consuming problematic media.

Or anything ever, but, baby steps.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

On feeling anything:

doverhog posted:

I like superhero movies to varying degrees because the comics got me as a small childe and remembering how it used to feel is usually better than whatever tepid emotion current events or original stories manage. :cheers:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

doverhog posted:

Nah, I actually believe in death of the author. It helps though, to never look up information in the first place and just listen to the songs or read the work.

:agreed:

It's possible I read too much sarcasm into every thing posted by every person on this website.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean, questionable, but if you listen to the song I posted it's literally "I will rape this underage girl, who her mother is worrying about, if she doesn't leave fast enough"

I agree with you, dude. I was just posting another example.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's a heady mix to be sure. I post with varying settings of truth and tomfoolery, and sometimes dread to think how it could all be terribly misunderstood by some reader without context or consideration.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Well, it does kind of matter that David Bowie raped a 15-year-old girl, doesn't it?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The author is dead both literally and figuratively. I'd advice you to forget ever reading that and never ever again talking about Bowie again, if you still wanna listen to his music.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Yeah, it's not like you should feel bad if a song of his comes on the radio. Same with Gary Glitter and the many many other artists who are child rapists.

Artists are more messed up than normal people, and thus are more prone to all those proclivities, you see.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My unpopular opinion is that it doesn't matter if someone is a complete monster, if you like their art then it stands on it's own and doesn't mean you're endorsing who they are or what they did. Unless that art is like a song called "Hang All Black People and the Women That Voted For Them" or something. Then you probably are a piece of poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The whole “Al Franken?? What about Trump??” “Roy Moore?? What about Bill Clinton??” thing needs to stop. Powerful men abusing women (and other men) is not a loving political issue. Politicians of all stripes do it and they all need to stop

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

My unpopular opinion is that it doesn't matter if someone is a complete monster, if you like their art then it stands on it's own and doesn't mean you're endorsing who they are or what they did. Unless that art is like a song called "Hang All Black People and the Women That Voted For Them" or something. Then you probably are a piece of poo poo.

Well ya but separating artist from art doesn't mean the art can't also be poo poo.

My position is that is' fine and good if you can separate art from artist but it's not a morally or intellectually superior position to those who can't or won't

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a weird elitist shopping attitude about Wal-Marts. I get supporting your local businesses and getting produce and meat elsewhere, but I don't get buying a bottle of Windex at Haggen's for six bucks and bragging that you haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in [x] years.

Maybe I'm just not rich enough to understand voluntarily spending three times as much on Windex.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's because you don't hate poors.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

doverhog posted:

I don't know why I was hoping for a non-horrible reason. :saddowns:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Hating the things that exist to spread and exploit poverty is not the same as hating poor people, hth.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Hating the things that exist to spread and exploit poverty is not the same as hating poor people, hth.

Alright, but what do you think the reason is for most people? I bet it's not what you are suggesting here. We know Walmart is terrible, blocks unions, pays below a livable wage, etc. but is it really common knowledge?

Walmart, from what I gather, is like Lidl in Finland. It has a stigma as the place poor people go to get the cheapest stuff, because they are poor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Walmart, from what I gather, is like Lidl in Finland. It has a stigma as the place poor people go to get the cheapest stuff, because they are poor.

The one right smack in the centre of the city is where foreign people go to shop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Alright, but what do you think the reason is for most people? I bet it's not what you are suggesting here. We know Walmart is terrible, blocks unions, pays below a livable wage, etc. but is it really common knowledge?

I don't know, when I hear Lidl I think "lol, cardboard boxes", when I hear Walmart I think "imperialism". I don't blame the people who shop there because of necessity, they are victims, and I don't blame the people who refuse to shop there, they are taking a stance against a terrible entity.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know, when I hear Lidl I think "lol, cardboard boxes", when I hear Walmart I think "imperialism". I don't blame the people who shop there because of necessity, they are victims, and I don't blame the people who refuse to shop there, they are taking a stance against a terrible entity.

People interested in altruism kinda defeat the point when they brag about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

People interested in altruism kinda defeat the point when they brag about it.

First, it's not altruism, it's politics, staying quiet defeats the point, second, I don't brag about it, I'm responding to a post.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

doverhog posted:

Aldi in the UK has the same perception as a cheap supermarket for the poors cuz their stuff is really cheap but they actually pay their workers really well so they're very ftw

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

What if we do enjoy shopping at WalMart, but also hate poors?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goons have weird takes on commonplace things, news at 11

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

What if we do enjoy shopping at WalMart, but also hate poors?

Then you're basically all of middle America.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole “Al Franken?? What about Trump??” “Roy Moore?? What about Bill Clinton??” thing needs to stop. Powerful men abusing women (and other men) is not a loving political issue. Politicians of all stripes do it and they all need to stop

after the Roy Moore accusations broke I overheard a right wing radio guy talking about all of the terrible scandals that were rocking the world of 2017: Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Louis C. K., Bill Clinton, some judge in Alabama, and Bill Clinton

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then you're basically all of middle America.

Normal! Score! :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

steinrokkan posted:

First, it's not altruism, it's politics, staying quiet defeats the point, second, I don't brag about it, I'm responding to a post.

Yyyyeah, I got that. I was referring to your point about Wal-Mart treating their employees lovely. To which I contend that if that's really why a person doesn't shop there, then bragging about not shopping there is an awful way to go about it. It just makes it look like the person is putting down people who can't help but to shop there.

My use of second person was a hypothetical collective, not steinrokkan specifically.