Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm right with you on that. I just think this thread, which is dedicated to people posting videos in their cars making fun of movies, is coming to a breaking point when it comes to politics and social issues. I think it's almost time for a separate thread specifically dealing with folks like H.bomb, Contra, et al. to be made, because this thread turns into a loving war zone every time they're mentioned when I'm looking to see if Red Letter Media or Brad Jones has posted anything new lately.

That separate thread already exists in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Though, while I'm all for desanitizing the rebellion and how there can be no good sides in war, it's hard to swallow when the side they're fighting against has a literal doomsday weapon that committed on-screen genocide. Using terrorist tactics against a faction that destroys planets on the whim to make a point will the greatest of evils, no matter how hard you try.

The Empire's "on-screen genocide" is completely unconvincing since Star Wars's politics are pretty facile and the Empire is an ideologically hollow entity that stands for nothing more than statism. You can't even argue that they're particularly authoritarian, because there's no indication that their enemies are any less so. When we see inside the Rebel movement in the first movie, we're treated to a scene of a paternalistic leader lecturing to soldiers, which is in essence identical to the Death Star council scene.

This is why Ming the Merciless and his cronies are better villains than the Empire, and Flash Gordon is a more convincing movie about rebellion. Ming stands for the smug self-assurance of autocracy, and all of his actions enforce this, while the heroes need to form an alliance of equals to stop him.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 27, 2017

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Back when the old expanded universe was still around there was a fan theory that the Emperor was actually trying to unify and strengthen the galaxy so it would be able to withstand a massive alien invasion that happened in the novels. Supposedly he had predicted it with his force powers. I don’t think this was ever confirmed but it made a hell of a lot more sense than any motivation he might have had in the source material.

Kim Justice posted:

It does turn into a war zone, and it's often my fault so I'm repeating/confirming my ban me request. My presence here is no longer constructive.

Don't let the hate get you down, Kim. I think there's a lot of people around who agree with you, it's just that they don't want to face getting dogpiled by the regulars by posting. I would have chipped in if I hadn't been away/asleep during the whole thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey guys how about that latest Doge Walkman review? He did another commercial video, haha, he totally missed the point!

Also noted game reviewer KO gaming aka DarkSydePhil aka Phil Burnell is getting investigated by the IRS and now owes "thousands" in back taxes. His comment? "It wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could do, its because I trusted my tax attorney and the IRS exploiting a loophole in the system ack ack ack loving kojima"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bakeneko posted:

I think there's a lot of people around who agree with you, it's just that they don't want to face getting dogpiled by the regulars by posting.

Or there's people who realize that if someone constantly says bigoted things and panders to bigoted people, they're probably a bigot. :ssh:

Leal posted:

Also noted game reviewer KO gaming aka DarkSydePhil aka Phil Burnell is getting investigated by the IRS and now owes "thousands" in back taxes. His comment? "It wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could do, its because I trusted my tax attorney and the IRS exploiting a loophole in the system ack ack ack loving kojima"

Remember though, he's just pretending to be stupid.

Kunster posted:

It's less being bigoted, more being way too ignorant about the inner workings of the types she was defending.

I might be somewhat out of it and reading stuff wrong, but I meant Blaire with the bigoted stuff, there's overwhelming evidence that I was happy to dig out there and there ideally should be no way to defend that.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 27, 2017

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's less being bigoted, more being way too ignorant about the inner workings of the types she was defending. Even Contra admited that the "needlessly aggressive" lefites did so from being aware of the end game of the "gender critical" types and the transfolk they managed to recruit, as the previous page had people prod more and more into the event she was heading to being less of a debate and more of a recruitment/ show of force barely disguised as intelectual masturbation. (And even Contra hosed that up and escalated by picking the UK equivalent of Clara Jaffrey/Olivia Nuzzi to defend her interview with Singal, who at this point might as well be refered to as the Boogie2988 of Guardian Gender stuffs.)

I prefer to refer to these cases as rubes rather than bigots. ("Easily conned" definition, not the "country hick" definition in work here.)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 27, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I might be somewhat out of it and reading stuff wrong, but I meant Blaire with the bigoted stuff, there's overwhelming evidence that I was happy to dig out there and there ideally should be no way to defend that.

Well, here's part of the problem isn't it? That there should be NO WAY to defend such things, that there's no room for any breathing space whatsoever in any potential discussion surrounding Blaire and Islam, or with that LGBT and Islam in general especially when it comes to the Middle East which is where it will end up going and is quite obviously not a subject for this thread. Suffice it to say that we will not agree and it's very likely best to leave it at that. I mean, at least the discussion was still surrounding Internet personalities, and the issue was sexpig literally just making poo poo up.

I never thought I would say this, but more SW prequels chat please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alacron posted:

But in other news, I haven't checked on SFDebris in a while, I wonder what he's doi-

oh gently caress

Gigglesquee like a pig, boy!
I don't know why Chuck keeps playing these on console considering his Kotor review on Xbox was buggy as well, but at least in this case it helps emphasize what a rushed shitshow Dragon Age 2 was. I'm sad he didn't talk more about poo poo mountain at the start if the game.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

If he talked about every lovely thing in Dragon Age 2, he’d be doing videos on it from now until this time next year.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dragon Age was always bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

If he talked about every lovely thing in Dragon Age 2, he’d be doing videos on it from now until this time next year.

DA2 was one of those games with a real neat core idea, that didn't work out whatsoever in the end. Everything takes place in this one big city, the way things go is dependent on the push and pull of these big factions, influence the sides and city and whatnot! But then none of that really made it in at all, so instead you just got "The entire game takes place in this one city!"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the double post lowtax

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

I mean, for my money I think there's a lot interesting things to say about the Prequels, their implications both intended and otherwise, but they're still fundamentally boring movies. And not in a Michael Clayton, Kramer vs. Kramer sort of boring-but-gripping, just regular boring. They limply tell a lacklustre story that (accidentally?) demonstrates all the reasons the supposed heroes are complicit in the destruction of their own way of life.

100% this

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

star wars episode 2 remains the only movie i ever walked out of the theater during.

like i was able to sit through reign of fuckin fire but episode 2 was impossible for me to watch once they got to naboo. i didn't even go to see episode 3 when it came out because of how bad episode 2 was.

FoldableHuman posted:

I mean, for my money I think there's a lot interesting things to say about the Prequels, their implications both intended and otherwise, but they're still fundamentally boring movies. And not in a Michael Clayton, Kramer vs. Kramer sort of boring-but-gripping, just regular boring. They limply tell a lacklustre story that (accidentally?) demonstrates all the reasons the supposed heroes are complicit in the destruction of their own way of life.

hey when's that video on noted gross pervert and terrible writer david cage coming out

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

That separate thread already exists in D&D.

Here's the link, since no one linked it. They are currently discussing the Contra fundraiser thing still, if anyone is interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817678

FoldableHuman posted:

This sums up my feelings on the matter quite nicely. It doesn't matter what alternate reading you try to do, they are loving boring rear end movies.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 27, 2017

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Phantom Menace was the worst of the bunch for me, because for all his stupid sand speeches at least Anakin was meant to be an adult in the later films and… sometimes acted like one. Kid Anakin, meanwhile, was like a character in a bad fanfiction who appears out of nowhere and has everyone talking about how amazing he is because of his incredible talents. I’ve seen some people accuse Luke in the first movie of being a Mary-Sue but that’s nothing compared to how Anakin is portrayed in TPM.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bakeneko posted:

Phantom Menace was the worst of the bunch for me, because for all his stupid sand speeches at least Anakin was meant to be an adult in the later films and… sometimes acted like one. Kid Anakin, meanwhile, was like a character in a bad fanfiction who appears out of nowhere and has everyone talking about how amazing he is because of his incredible talents. I’ve seen some people accuse Luke in the first movie of being a Mary-Sue but that’s nothing compared to how Anakin is portrayed in TPM.

Yippee!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
My favourite bunny-loaf-girl with the funny voice covers Resonance of Fate - which is a game I thoroughly enjoyed but that also convinced me to stop playing JRPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WwvSQ7cbGY

It's a REALLY fun game with great funny characters and a super cool setting. It also has a story but gently caress only knows what it is. I'm pretty sure (this is recalling from a while ago) the main story itself has next to nothing to do with the player characters.

Like - there's a super-important magical loli being exploited/cared for/creeped over by the game's main 'villain', and I'm pretty cure the PCs are never even made aware of their existence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KayTee posted:

My favourite bunny-loaf-girl with the funny voice covers Resonance of Fate - which is a game I thoroughly enjoyed but that also convinced me to stop playing JRPGs.

It's a REALLY fun game with great funny characters and a super cool setting. It also has a story but gently caress only knows what it is. I'm pretty sure (this is recalling from a while ago) the main story itself has next to nothing to do with the player characters.

Like - there's a super-important magical loli being exploited/cared for/creeped over by the game's main 'villain', and I'm pretty cure the PCs are never even made aware of their existence.

She's the secret boss at the end of the very difficult secret dungeon, and they're all "the hell are you" and she's all "I can kung-fu fight" and they're all "well guess it's time for us to die repeatedly."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

This sums up my feelings on the matter quite nicely. It doesn't matter what alternate reading you try to do, they are loving boring rear end movies.

Obviously. That's why everyone keeps talking about them a decade on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

gently caress off, BotL

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

financially racist posted:

star wars episode 2 remains the only movie i ever walked out of the theater during.

like i was able to sit through reign of fuckin fire but episode 2 was impossible for me to watch once they got to naboo. i didn't even go to see episode 3 when it came out because of how bad episode 2 was.

hey when's that video on noted gross pervert and terrible writer david cage coming out

The only movie I walked out of was the Pete the Dragon Remake. That movie was so boring and repetitive I was surprised it wasn't somehow churned out by the computer algorithm that makes videos to maximize Youtube revenue.

EDIT:
Oh Resonance of Fate. Funny thing enough I learned about that game from a WEG post. I thought the artist was joking with the "Got" part being covered in rulers and protractors. And then I saw a fan made tutorial of the combat system.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 27, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

KayTee posted:

I'm waiting for Resonance of Fate to go on sale and can't wait to play it but wow is that color palette awful. That art direction is just :barf:

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Kim Justice posted:

so I'm repeating/confirming my ban me request.

Before you drop the banhammer on yourself Kim, the Disappearing Southend trailer looks great. Memories of the type of seaside experience long gone for most of us now, old haunts closed, broken or rotted away over time....

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

No one talks about them, they talk about Star Wars with this playing more a footnote

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Devol_Tettran posted:

Before you drop the banhammer on yourself Kim, the Disappearing Southend trailer looks great. Memories of the type of seaside experience long gone for most of us now, old haunts closed, broken or rotted away over time....

I've redacted. And thanks :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one talks about them, they talk about Star Wars with this playing more a footnote

That is a wonderfully optimistic thought.

According to a simple YouTube search, however, almost three-hundred thousand videos matching the query 'Star Wars prequels' have been uploaded in 2017.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 27, 2017

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Leal posted:

Hey guys how about that latest Doge Walkman review? He did another commercial video, haha, he totally missed the point!

What do you mean by missed the point? How do you miss the point of commercials?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ironically, I find his commercial videos to be the most tolerable to watch. I don't know why. Maybe it's because he doesn't spend too much time lingering on each commercial before moving on as opposed to the gags in a normal review where he just keeps going on and on about the same poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If anything they're better than jontron's new stuff since returning from his political meltdown. He's been covering stuff like Cool As Ice or old infomercials that were popular on YouTube ten years ago.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

If anything they're better than jontron's new stuff since returning from his political meltdown. He's been covering stuff like Cool As Ice or old infomercials that were popular on YouTube ten years ago.

He started doing that poo poo before his meltdown, his decline in quality made it pretty easy to just cut him out when it turned out he was also a horrible person. People making fun of bad movies are a dime a dozen on the internet and most of them are timelier and funnier than Jon was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

New Butt Order posted:

He started doing that poo poo before his meltdown, his decline in quality made it pretty easy to just cut him out when it turned out he was also a horrible person. People making fun of bad movies are a dime a dozen on the internet and most of them are timelier and funnier than Jon was.

*runs in redfaced and sweating*

Guys...guys...have you heard about THE ROOM?! It's so bad!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sexpig by night posted:

*runs in redfaced and sweating*

Guys...guys...have you heard about THE ROOM?! It's so bad!

This except Foodfight. Phelous still has the best dissection of that film.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dstecks 's vid is a great supplement for that if you're like me and interested in the horrible comedy of errors that was that flick's production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLFAfaxmv8

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That is a wonderfully optimistic thought.

According to a simple YouTube search, however, almost three-hundred thousand videos matching the query 'Star Wars prequels' have been uploaded in 2017.

The yeah and I bet very view treat the movies as there own thing, but as an extension of Star Wars.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ahem, AND Allison & Brad.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A new nick knacks for your thanksgiving leftovers

like a lot of the stuff poparena's covered, i never heard of this one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sterdust is sending shockwaves through the world of pro wrestling. Also something about Steam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GPmRCTOO8

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The White Nationalist - Dick Coughlan

He's done some good vids with Contrapoints, but a lot of his vids are kinda long and rambly. YMMV, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

The yeah and I bet very view treat the movies as there own thing, but as an extension of Star Wars.

Yes, genius, people are discussing movies that are part of a series as being part of a series.

e: You seem to be arguing that the Star Wars prequels are not "really" popular, because they're only popular because Star Wars is popular.

In truth this distinction is completely immaterial, because part of what makes any given text important is how it relates to other texts. That the prequels undermine the naivety and stupidity of the originals is what makes them relevant.

Star Wars, after all, is only popular because it builds on other texts (Flash Gordon, Hidden Fortress, etc). By your logic no one talks about Star Wars either except as a footnote.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 28, 2017

• Locked thread